Author Topic: [GB] GMK Dracula (CLOSED) — Shipping!  (Read 296634 times)

Offline DukeEsquire

Re: [GB] GMK Dracula — Final numbers! (Group buy closed)
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 18:26:16 »
People that complain about lack of price drops can vote with their wallets and not join group buys. Perhaps they will enjoy the secondary market prices instead!

As far as I know, no one is getting rich off of this hobby. Very few people are able to make this into their full time jobs and, if they can, I very much applaud them because it means they will be able to devote more time and energy into producing higher quality products for us to enjoy.

We should be happy to see vendors going full-time because that's what's best for the hobby in the long run.

Do you think it benefits anyone if people complained hundreds of years ago that watchmakers were making too much profit and they were losing the spirit of the watchmaking hobby?

Offline ConfuseBill

« Reply #151 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 21:07:01 »
Very simple, for people whose upset about not getting price drop with higher quantity, DON'T buy or Join this GB.

Create your own Keycaps Design and Color Blocking, and run your own GB the way you want. Announce your GB to the community, and if the color blocking suit the community Taste you may as well get that 3,000, and you can set to the price you wanted when it reach the number.

Don't just complain, work it out, set your ideal example as a the benchmark for the community.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 21:15:09 »
wish massdrop would actually run sets like this so customers could benefit from price drops. yeah, 3 keys is great, id rather have the price drop. vendors caking

Who can predict which upcoming sets will sell this well?

this one was possibly the most obvious from the 13 page interest check

So a set with a 16 page interest check will probably do even better?

lol this has to be the only forum I know of that has this anti-consumer attitude.

most hobbies are like this. you get the circle jerk around the creators, designers, vendors. in the end every "favor" done for the consumer is just another way to make profits (which i can respect to a certain degree, im not saying vendors shouldn't be making profit for their hard work). people argue over putting 40s, iso, whatever else in the base kit to save a few bucks but when a set's numbers could have potentially saved the consumer 30 dollars (or whatever it was) they are busy jerking off the vendor and designer for adding in 3 keys no one cared about from the get go.

for all the **** massdrop gets, at least they are FAR more consumer centric in that respect. they own this forum but only run sets by the same designers which is a shame.

and to dvorcol, of course just page count means nothing but the sentiment within the pages is a decent indicator. if all 16 pages are **** talk and arguing obviously not, if all 16 pages are people basically nutting themselves its not an awful indicator.

i don't expect most of this forum to agree with me. there is far too much blind loyalty.

I freaking love [GMK] keycaps... I have 4 MX boards but I've lost count of how many keysets I have.

Unfortunately, this is probably my last purchase.

Initially when vendors stopped offering price drops I wasn't all that phased by it.
Yeah, I understood it was a pain in the ass for the vendor to go back and manually refund small amounts to hundreds of orders.

But this hobby has been growing very fast and keycap sales have gotten pretty crazy right now.
It used to be that you HAD to sell on Drop in order to hit big order numbers. This is obviously no longer the case and our community vendors can now hit numbers bigger than Drop.

Is it time the vendors figure out some system to bring back the price drops?

I'm not a fan of adding new keys, and it sucks that's the way it is going. The number of keys added is so arbitrary. For example Metropolis sold 1500 (with extras) and added 9 keys. Dracula sold 3000 (with extras) and added 5 keys.
It really just seems like the extras are just tossed out to distract everyone from the missing price drops.

If this set had sold on Drop with these numbers (not including extras so 2K sales), I guess it would be $100-110
There also would've been several drop points for half of the child kits.

That $20 price drop on the base kit @ 2K sales is $40,000.
Add in the price drops for the child kits and I think I know where the 938 extra base kits came from.
I think we've lost the spirit of group buys and I don't think there is any incentive for group buys to go back to having price drops, the current system works too good for the vendors.

i don't understand how it's a bad thing that vendors are making money
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #153 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 21:28:17 »
People that complain about lack of price drops can vote with their wallets and not join group buys. Perhaps they will enjoy the secondary market prices instead!

As far as I know, no one is getting rich off of this hobby. Very few people are able to make this into their full time jobs and, if they can, I very much applaud them because it means they will be able to devote more time and energy into producing higher quality products for us to enjoy.

We should be happy to see vendors going full-time because that's what's best for the hobby in the long run.

Do you think it benefits anyone if people complained hundreds of years ago that watchmakers were making too much profit and they were losing the spirit of the watchmaking hobby?
People don't understand economics or capitalism anymore. They just want to be pampered and think the world revolves around them

Offline dohmain

« Reply #154 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 22:12:05 »
Who would've thought a bunch of consumers could be so anti-consumer?

Sorry for getting all of you riled up by saying I wanted price drops to come back so we all could save a few more dollars.

I wasn't even demanding it, I just asked if it's something worth exploring and pointing out that the capital to explore that option is likely there.

There will be no more from me on this topic.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 22:45:37 »

Sorry for getting all of you riled up by saying I wanted price drops to come back so we all could save a few more dollars.

I wasn't even demanding it, I just asked if it's something worth exploring and pointing out that the capital to explore that option is likely there.

you defintely were not around when we were ****ing constantly getting scammed by people who showed up and ran like one GB and ran off with the money without us every getting a product

it's not anti consumer to want what you pay for to arrive, and to pay a premium to avoid the classic hassle that normally happens in GBs

i have the data to back up that vendors are good for the community, but i don't imagine i need to show it to you

you aren't incorrect in your assessment that yes, we're paying a lot, but if you can do the same job just as well, why don't you just do it instead of complaining on a keyboard ****posting forum?

and besides: drop gets better pricing from GMK than non-drop vendors

and non-drop vendors generally price with a certain MOQ in mind, which is why we're seeing a lot more sets at 500 MOQ lately, even though GMK's MOQ hasn't moved from 250 for sets with custom colors

but really, your argument that we should have more price drops isn't necessarily incorrect, just mildly uninformed
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dohmain

« Reply #156 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 23:00:15 »

you defintely were not around when we were ****ing constantly getting scammed by people who showed up and ran like one GB and ran off with the money without us every getting a product

it's not anti consumer to want what you pay for to arrive, and to pay a premium to avoid the classic hassle that normally happens in GBs

i have the data to back up that vendors are good for the community, but i don't imagine i need to show it to you

you aren't incorrect in your assessment that yes, we're paying a lot, but if you can do the same job just as well, why don't you just do it instead of complaining on a keyboard ****posting forum?

and non-drop vendors generally price with a certain MOQ in mind, which is why we're seeing a lot more sets at 500 MOQ lately, even though GMK's MOQ hasn't moved from 250 for sets with custom colors

but really, your argument that we should have more price drops isn't necessarily incorrect, just mildly uninformed

Dammit. Seriously last one because the random runner vs vendor argument came up again...
I wasn't comparing individual runners to the vendors. I'm sure we all remember the days when vendors did give price drops and that really didn't lower the level of service the vendors put out.

And you're right, I don't have all the data... I only see what is posted publicly... and publicly I see about $40,000 that could be used to, at least, explore the possibility of implementing a system to bring back the drops.

Like you said, I'm not necessarily incorrect. Which is where I think some exploration would come into play.

The end. For real.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #157 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 23:33:44 »

Dammit. Seriously last one because the random runner vs vendor argument came up again...
I wasn't comparing individual runners to the vendors. I'm sure we all remember the days when vendors did give price drops and that really didn't lower the level of service the vendors put out.

And you're right, I don't have all the data... I only see what is posted publicly... and publicly I see about $40,000 that could be used to, at least, explore the possibility of implementing a system to bring back the drops.

Like you said, I'm not necessarily incorrect. Which is where I think some exploration would come into play.

The end. For real.

yes but running a business costs money

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #158 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 23:38:20 »

The end. For real.
So... The buyers deserve the 40k, not the vendor? Why would they moq price drops when profits are rocketing? What is a vendor's incentive to do that, especially when they almost break 2k base kits at the price they had

Offline befbef

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 01:53:19 »
I don't care about saving 5-20 bucks and am happy to support vendors. But it was more fun watching the sales numbers with price drops. imo a good solution would be introducing extra keycaps per 1000/1500/2000... instead of price drops.

btw the extra keycaps we get from this gb are really disappointing. I know they don't have to add any exras at all. I guess very few will have a use for them. Was hoping for a simple accent kit, only esc and enter everybody could use. If they would have been introduced in the ic or from the beginning of the gb, participants would have had the chance trying to convince the runner to change these.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 November 2019, 01:54:54 by befbef »

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 02:19:21 »
I don't see why it's such a contentious suggestion.  The rebuttal about the vendors deserving the money rings hollow when this very practice is employed by the most successful keycap gb vendor out there (Drop).  If they can have a highly successful keycap gb business *and* offer price breaks as the quantity ordered increases, then other vendors should be able to do that as well.  One thing that really sets Drop apart is that they've invested more heavily than others in building their site, including the tools needed to handle price breaks.  Dohmain makes a very good point that the windfall from a highly successful group buy like GMK Dracula could be used by the vendor to build the automation they need to do make it happen for themselves.  It represents an opportunity for the vendor.  If the vendor chooses to reinvest those profits in their business, then this could be something that would set that vendor apart from others in a very positive way on future group buys.  I like Dixie Mech.  I'm all in favor of them giving everyone more of an incentive to buy from them.  It seems like it would be a win/win for all involved.

When I consider joining a group buy, part of the decision is how much I like the set.  Part of it is how much it's priced at.  Part of it is what I think of the vendor.

Offline noorejji

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 03:31:09 »
It's interesting to see the defensive response to a purely pro consumer sentiment.

Anyway, congratulations with a successfull GB.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #162 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 03:48:16 »
Vendors ordered 1000 extras and took inventory risk.  Maybe they will sell out quick.  Maybe not.
Is $20+ cost drop at 3000 units justify the risk?  Maybe.  Maybe not.
In any case, I don't think anyone did this before.  They took the risk.  Let them enjoy the reward if successful.

5 extra keys at 1500 seem pretty good.  5 extra keys at 2000 seem pretty OK.
3000 is not worth mentioning since vendors took it there.

All in all, this GB was fantastic.  It was really buttoned down from the very beginning.  I don't think I've seen comprehensive color comparison before.

Don't let little glitch get in the way.  Just have some fun! :cool:

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #163 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 03:53:30 »
I don't care about saving 5-20 bucks and am happy to support vendors. But it was more fun watching the sales numbers with price drops. imo a good solution would be introducing extra keycaps per 1000/1500/2000... instead of price drops.

Great idea!  Few more extra keys to celebrate 3000 would have a perfect finishing touch. :thumb:

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #164 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 07:41:57 »
I don't see why it's such a contentious suggestion.  The rebuttal about the vendors deserving the money rings hollow when this very practice is employed by the most successful keycap gb vendor out there (Drop).  If they can have a highly successful keycap gb business *and* offer price breaks as the quantity ordered increases, then other vendors should be able to do that as well.  One thing that really sets Drop apart is that they've invested more heavily than others in building their site, including the tools needed to handle price breaks.  Dohmain makes a very good point that the windfall from a highly successful group buy like GMK Dracula could be used by the vendor to build the automation they need to do make it happen for themselves.  It represents an opportunity for the vendor.  If the vendor chooses to reinvest those profits in their business, then this could be something that would set that vendor apart from others in a very positive way on future group buys.  I like Dixie Mech.  I'm all in favor of them giving everyone more of an incentive to buy from them.  It seems like it would be a win/win for all involved.

When I consider joining a group buy, part of the decision is how much I like the set.  Part of it is how much it's priced at.  Part of it is what I think of the vendor.
This 'loyalty' is only relevant when there are more than one vender per locale per set. Just because a vendor can do something doesn't mean they should or will. Their only obligation is to take your money and ship you a kit. If sets are sold at multiple vendors per locale, that's when buyers and vendors both need to start getting picky. Until then, they don't have to do anything

Offline WHAT!?

• WHAT!?
« Reply #165 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 08:28:25 »
I've been a member of this site for like 10min but look... I assume we're all adults here with absolute free agency over how we spend our money. At some point we looked in the mirror and decided to buy plastic keyboard caps, added all the bits to a cart and looked at the price point. $150.00 $200.00 ... $300.00!? We clicked the buy button.

A choice was made.

Now it would be nice if someone out of the goodness of their hearts decided to refund some of that cash so we can live the dream with a little extra jingle in our pocket, but we are absolutely not entitled to such. We agreed up front with no guarantee of any adjustments on the back end. If its too rich for your blood up front, don't pay the cost. Abstain. Eventually when enough people feel the same the prices will have to come down in order to meet the market value of the product.

That's how I see it anyway.

That said its too bad we're all ****ting all over OP's celebratory mood. I'll be excited to see my set show up. First GMK buy in more than a year for me. First one period that I found through this site. As long as I receive my product I'll be happy. 

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #166 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 09:43:36 »
Everyone who things lack of price drops is anti-consumer is being myopic.

Vendors and designers making money is a good thing for super niche hobbies like this. It allows them the take risks and bring projects to life that otherwise would never happen.

We know what prices are up front. There is not fraud. There is no trickery.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #167 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 11:25:35 »

This 'loyalty' is only relevant when there are more than one vender per locale per set. Just because a vendor can do something doesn't mean they should or will. Their only obligation is to take your money and ship you a kit. If sets are sold at multiple vendors per locale, that's when buyers and vendors both need to start getting picky. Until then, they don't have to do anything

Nope, you've missed my point.  On some group buys (not this buy, and not this vendor -- I like this set, I like Dixie Mech, and I ordered GMK Dracula), my thought process is "Do I want this set?  Yes.  Do I want this set enough to buy it from an annoying vendor who seems to have fulfillment problems every time and who I will once again regret giving my money?  No, not this time."  There are vendors who make me less likely to buy a set I want, just because the vendor is annoying to deal with.  There are vendors I will not buy from under any circumstances because they have done something particularly egregious in a past buy.  So even when there is only one vendor per locale (or even just one vendor period), who that vendor is factors into whether I'm buying any given set.  I have stayed out of multiple group buys that I wanted just because of the choice of vendor, and I'm sure I will do so again in the future.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 November 2019, 18:22:14 by euphxenos »

Offline Araex

« Reply #168 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 17:34:06 »
Prices are what it is, and we knew there was a slim-to-none chance of price drops before it started.

Like some others pointed out before, the extra key choices are more disappointing.  Extra accents (like Metropolis) would've been nice; it rewards the early buyers with extras that they can use. Extra compatibility keys are essentially worthless to the early buyers (they wouldn't have bought them if their keyboards are incompatible), and its purpose was to get more buyers to buy in.

Offline WHAT!?

• WHAT!?
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 07:43:03 »
So any updates since the group buy ended? It's been crickets on this end.

Offline BWLR

• bowler caps
    • bowler caps
« Reply #170 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 08:55:40 »
Yeah same, would love to hear how it's progressing. Especially for us first-time GB'ers.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 09:17:02 »
Yeah same, would love to hear how it's progressing. Especially for us first-time GB'ers.

So any updates since the group buy ended? It's been crickets on this end.

Bruh, it's been less then a month since GB ended lol

Offline SuddenlyDonkey

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 09:19:29 »
*edit

There aren't as many production milestones as in keyboard GB's so not much to update about.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 November 2019, 09:44:35 by SuddenlyDonkey »

Offline kokugatsu

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 09:32:47 »
They won't start colour matching or production until Q1/Q2 next year, there's a big queue ahead of Dracula at GMK right now

It's gonna be like this for a couple more months, better get used to it brother

Offline BWLR

• bowler caps
    • bowler caps
« Reply #174 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 10:28:49 »
No worries, thanks for the info. Good to know what to expect :)

Offline WHAT!?

• WHAT!?
« Reply #175 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 10:50:38 »
Yeah I don't have an issue waiting just wanted to know whats up/what to expect/when, etc.

Offline HighOnBuffs

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 16:20:35 »
Hi so i recently got into customs and am building my first right now.
I completely fell in love with this set! Will there be extras made for people who missed thegroupbuy or is there any other way to aquire the core set without mechmarket?
BEST SET EVER

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 16:54:01 »
There are likely a decent number of extras. When you find the time they are listed, even if someone tells you there’s a lot of them, you will buy in the opening 30 seconds of their listing. These things go faster than you’d figure.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #178 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 23:05:02 »
Hi so i recently got into customs and am building my first right now.
I completely fell in love with this set! Will there be extras made for people who missed thegroupbuy or is there any other way to aquire the core set without mechmarket?
BEST SET EVER

Every vendor is going to have a ton of extras and people will also be selling on mechmarket. You'll be able to get one without too much markup.

« Reply #179 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 09:56:37 »
Has anyone mentioned/thinking about dark alphas add-on?

Offline s3vv4

« Reply #180 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 09:46:10 »
Has anyone mentioned/thinking about dark alphas add-on?

The alphas are dark already...?

Offline CodeMonkeyX

Re: [GB] GMK Dracula (CLOSED) — In color matching phase
« Reply #181 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 11:43:25 »
Maybe he means like "evil" alphas.

Offline ivu

« Reply #182 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 15:57:40 »
I want to do a mix of Dracula's mods with another alpha set so if anybody is willing to part ways with some keys (R1 `~, R2 del, R3 Pg Up and R4 Pg Down) and/or nightmode set, please let me know! EU here.
Highly appreciated if someone is willing to help me out ;)
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 February 2020, 11:13:25 by ivu »

Offline sirpew

• phat iso
« Reply #183 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 18:39:28 »
Is there a discord to watch for updates?
I make cables.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #184 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 08:23:38 »
Updates should be made here.

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #185 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 15:59:06 »
Sad i didn‘t jump in - waitin for the extra sale  :thumb:

Offline wil

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 19:20:28 »
wanting this bad, but realizing it might be a long ways out... maybe until 2021.

Offline Starius

« Reply #187 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 20:35:19 »
I thought I went in on this group buy, but I can't find any record that I did. 
Instant sadness.  😱

Offline pikku-allu

• IG: @kinnalek
« Reply #188 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 05:34:44 »

Dixie Mech Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/KaZjphH

We are still waiting for R2 color samples from GMK (getting R2 of modifier base, pink, purple, yellow, and green). Taking much longer than usual due to other delays and the situation in general I'm assuming.

Here are photos of the R1 samples: https://imgur.com/a/hlQj15F
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 April 2020, 05:37:45 by pikku-allu »

Offline viroide

They look amazing but the green one, is not too bright? ;D
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 April 2020, 01:07:31 by viroide »

Offline pikku-allu

• IG: @kinnalek
They look amazing but the green one, is not too bright? ;D

We requested a more pale green for the R2 sample :thumb:

Offline s3vv4

« Reply #191 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 16:10:28 »

We are still waiting for R2 color samples from GMK (getting R2 of modifier base, pink, purple, yellow, and green). Taking much longer than usual due to other delays and the situation in general I'm assuming.

The alphas are totally off...? Too blue and way too bright, or am I crazy?

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

That lights pretty bright to make N9 grey look that light.

Offline badboy731

« Reply #193 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 16:17:08 »

Not crazy. I see what you are talking about. Perhaps we will see more sample pictures in the time coming
E7-V1 | TGR Jane v2 CE | HBCP | GSKT-00 | Raine | AOS

Offline XUR

Looking to buy an extra set of these if anyone wants to sell

Offline nappis

« Reply #195 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 02:52:55 »

Not crazy. I see what you are talking about. Perhaps we will see more sample pictures in the time coming
Alphas and mods are not right. Mods and alphas have too much saturation and value (brightness). I took HSV values of the colors listed in IC and increased both saturation and value by 10-20 -> got colors like in the received samples.

Also red and green should be more "washed".

Offline Hell-es

If any EU buyer wants to part from Base, Err und Highlights - just let me know.

After getting into programming Dracula really got into my heart ;)

Offline LevelSteam

That lights pretty bright to make N9 grey look that light.

Yeah agreed. Also Oblivion looks way more washed out than it does IRL. I took a shot of my boards with Oblivion and Nines (N9 based set) in natural daylight inside to compare if it helps.

Offline peterg

It's been so long, I even forgot I was in on this GB  ;D

Offline Magas

Hello!

I’m messaging here as I’m unfortunately late to the party. I was just going to put out that if ANYONE is feeling the crunch or doesn’t want to be a part of this group buy anymore I would gladly take the kits off your hands!

I’m looking for these kits mainly but will accept everything but the localization kit.

Base
Highlight
Error
Command
Minify
Night mode