Author Topic: [GB] Prophet 60% Keyboard Kit (Complete)  (Read 129317 times)

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
[GB] Prophet 60% Keyboard Kit (Complete)
« on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 05:17:12 »
Update 11:

PCB numrow issue - PLEASE PLEASE only use the information added in the following more block if you face an issue with your PCB where your numrow is outputting every key in its column
If you checkout the source then please only use this for a prophet PCB that is faulty - I offer no replacements/repairs on other PCBs built using this firmware. If you still face issues with the PCB after using this then please reach out to your vendor - I have a reworked PCB testing at the moment to replace anyone with long term faults

More
for via:
just flash this new firmware - you'll need to clear the eeprom by holding esc when you plug in the board
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/729738464806830132/808726942283071498/westfoxtrot_prophet_via.bin

source:
https://github.com/westfoxtrot/qmk_firmware/tree/prophet_fix

Update 10: 2 issues to cover

1) If you have a problem with your PCB where the numrow is outputting the full column we are currently testing a software based fix for this. Inital results are promising. The majority of PCBs are absolutely fine so please don't take this as cause for concern.

2) If you have a problem with your Nylon plate that is overly sized or overly small (some shrinkage is expected - see FAQ at bottom of post) then please open a ticket with your vendor so we can get a reliable report of numbers of fails to help us scope the problem for replacements.  So far this seems to be affecting a small pool of people and I need to get a better idea of what I need to arrange with vendors to help solve this problem.

Update 9: It has come to my attention there is some issues with some Nylon plates. We are currently trying to gauge the scope of the issue, we have previously agreed to a resolution with the manufacturer and it seems that most of the parts are testing just fine.

Update 8: ilumkb has started shipping, expect other vendors to follow suit shortly. Thanks for everyone's continued patience on this one, I really appreciate it.

Update 7: Parts are all finished and being packed at the factory to be sent out to vendors this week.

Update 6: e-white parts are still not finished. Current projections from my factory contact place completion at the 24th of this month at which point it should be OK to ship everything out to vendors. Apologies for the continued delays

Update 5: Nylon plates are manufactured, everything else is manufactured and finished except for the e-white parts as there was a delay with the shop used by the fab to handle the e-finishes. China is now on a week long vacation and when they're back hopefully we'll be on track really quickly. Sorry for the delay and thanks for your patience.  :thumb:

Update 4: I have been using the prophet with the new nylon plate and I am very pleased with it - I have placed the full order with the new fab this week and they are predicting 2-3 weeks to complete the work (about 300 plates total). The anodising is currently predicted to finish end of the month. Black parts are in QC now and blue is in anodising.

here's some spoiler pics from the anodisers (nothing fancy)
Code: [Select]
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/583941653908160522/753519551311904768/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/583941653908160522/753520085619966012/unknown.png

Update 3: I have 2 sample nylon plates from new manufacturers on the way - they should be here this week and I'll be able to place the order asap. Cases are all finished manu but some are still pending anodisation as the factory has some delays with their external anodising partner. Currently trying to get a better idea of what impact these 2 things will have on delivery. PCBs are finished as are all additional parts

Update 2: Case production is almost finished - hardware has been sent for assembly to the manufacturer. Vendors are prepped for the situation.

There is a slight hold up with the nylon plates - the factory I originally intended to use are unable to source reliable material. I am currently trying to source alternatives and will provide a better update if/when I have one. Currently trying to make sure that we have an acceptable sample that acts as a proof of work, I have already received a set of samples and they're not satisfactory in my opinion.

Update 1: Production is all booked for PCBs, cases, plates etc

Edit: Updated pricing, added details about colours, extended to May 1st

Hello fellow keyboard enthusiasts

Here is the official GB thread for Prophet, a pin-mount seamless 60% keyboard kit.

The IC thread is available here where a lot of questions were answered

there is no pressure from the top half of the case on the plate. There are 4 pins in the corners of the base that hold the plate in place and it rests on the lip of the base. The theory is that the lack of downward pressure allows the plate more freedom of movement towards the center whilst still retaining an even pressure around the edge of the board

The group buy will launch on 15th April and the kit will be priced at $325 US excluding sales/import tax and shipping. A kit includes: 1 x top, 1 x bottom, 1 x plate, and 1 PCB. The angle of the case is 6°. It includes a custom PCB designed by me that supports ISO/ANSI layouts with a 7u(Tsangan) bottom row only, this will be matte black. The case also supports any standard 60% PCB with a type-c usb port. Mini will likely also work but it depends on the cable. I have tested it with a hotswap PCB and it held fine but I am not a particularly heavy typist so your mileage might vary.

Options:
Top is available in MX HHKB, WKL, or Standard
Case is available in Aluminium in 3 colours: Black, Dark Blue & e-white
Base will be available in either Black or to match your top colour.
Plate will be available in ISO/ANSI half or full layout with 7U bottom row only in 3 materials: PP (Polypropylene, White), PC (Polycarbonate, media blasted clear), Nylon (Black). If the ISO numbers stay low we might have to restrict the material to ensure we hit a suitable price.

Here is a list of the retailers with their respective prices and regions. I will update this with links to the product page as soon as I have them. The group buy will launch on the 15th April and remain open until the end of day May 1st.

CannonKeys is sold out of the 150 units, NA buyers can still purchase from the other vendors.

Please make sure that you only fill out the form respective to your vendor

RegionRetailer & LinkRegional priceNotes
Europemykeyboard.eu€360 (Inc. VAT)Non-EU Order form
NACannonKeys$325Limited to 150 total units. SOLD OUT
OCEDaily Clack$506AUD (inc GST)
SEAiLumkbSGD$464If purchasing a case you must also puchase a PCB and Plate, orders without this will be cancelled

Extras pricing:
Additional Top: $140
Additional PCBs: $35
Additional Plates: $45

The MOQ for the GB is 150 units for this pricing. 

Due to the current global situation it’s hard to nail down an exact timeline estimate but conservative projections should put us 3-4 months out from the close of the GB for shipping. So we should be shipping in August-September, I will try to ensure we keep this thread as the source for updates but will make sure the information is available elsewhere.

Plate files are available in my github plate repository.

If you have any questions or comments about the case/pcb/buy structure please ask here or by any of these contact methods:  Reddit, Geekhack, email, discord.

Here is an album of images

here are some soundtests/typing videos of R1/Original proto

Koen on youtube
Koen on youtube
TopClack on youtube
invis on youtube
invis on clyp.it
Aly on youtube
Chris on youtube

Thank you for your time

Max

FAQ

Won't the plate fall out?

The plate does sit loose in the assembly and if you pick it up and shake it then it will rattle but there's not enough room for it to fall off, in typing this doesn't happen.

What is pin mount? Have there been any other boards that use this mounting style?

there is no pressure from the top half of the case on the plate. There are 4 pins in the corners of the base that hold the plate in place and it rests on the lip of the base. The theory is that the lack of downward pressure allows the plate more freedom of movement towards the center whilst still retaining an even pressure around the edge of the board. To my knowledge, this is the first keyboard to use it.

Which plate material is the best?

In my opinion there is no wrong choice, the plates on offer are my opinion for the plates that work well with this construction. I have used all of them and enjoy all of them. If you want a short recommendation then I think a full PP plate offers the most unique experience without the drawbacks of Nylon.

Why is the nylon bending the assembly?

Nylon shrinks over time. Due to this it will look to contract the assembly. I have used a nylon plate in my private buy prophet for close to a year with no issues, I have also built with it more recently and, whilst frustrating to build with, it works just fine as soon as it's mounted. If you are concerned about this I'd recommend choosing PP over this.

How much does the keyboard weigh?
The weight of the keyboard built is around 1.1kg (2.5lbs)

KLE?
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/15d2dbeccf8be54143ac8bb7d8b97d4d
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 August 2021, 04:06:33 by westfoxtrot »

Offline toastyAU

• the breadcat
Re: [GB] Prophet 60% Keyboard Kit
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 10:35:26 »
i'm so hyped. give me some delicious plastic plate goodness
Dolphin v3 | En Dash | Hyphen | Isla | Zenith | Jules | HHKB Pro 2

Offline self

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 10:36:11 »
i was waiting for this!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline cerement

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 11:50:28 »
Don’t get me wrong, that case is really nice,
but I’m far more interested in getting my hands on some of those PCBs

Offline noahf

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 11:58:53 »
**** YEAH!

Offline fishinaspacesuit

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 17:48:32 »
Whooooooot! It’s happening!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 21:22:47 »
Hype. Are there any purchase limits on Cannonkeys?

Offline FatherFizz

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 00:13:50 »
I picked up KAT Atlantis and have been looking for a blue 60% case GB. Are there any images of the dark blue color anywhere?
I might be dropping on my first case with this one :)

Offline egla

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 02:20:52 »

Says in the post:

NA   cannon keys   $325   Limited to 100 total units. Releasing at 11AM ET

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 04:23:22 »
Hi yes, I've been waiting

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 04:24:42 »
dunno if i can afford one given the current situation of the world :( looks like a very interesting board, I hope to try one some day. Good luck with gb!
I love Elzy

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 06:02:52 »
I picked up KAT Atlantis and have been looking for a blue 60% case GB. Are there any images of the dark blue color anywhere?
I might be dropping on my first case with this one :)

Same colour code as this board

dunno if i can afford one given the current situation of the world :( looks like a very interesting board, I hope to try one some day. Good luck with gb!

there's always more keyboards, hope you and your loved ones are safe :-)

Don’t get me wrong, that case is really nice,
but I’m far more interested in getting my hands on some of those PCBs

PCB is open sourced: https://github.com/westfoxtrot/prophet_pcb

Offline joshuarubin

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 06:11:51 »
Can you explain why cannonkeys has the 100 unit limit? I thought the GB was unlimited. Will NA people have to order from a different region's proxy after the 100 are gone?

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 06:16:13 »
Can you explain why cannonkeys has the 100 unit limit? I thought the GB was unlimited. Will NA people have to order from a different region's proxy after the 100 are gone?

CannonKeys only wanted to do 100 units maximum, the GB still remains unlimited and if CannonKeys sells out then the other vendors will remain open for orders.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 08:34:58 »

Says in the post:

NA   cannon keys   $325   Limited to 100 total units. Releasing at 11AM ET
No, I meant purchase limits per person. Can one person buy multiple

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 09:08:02 »
Just had a thought. It's probably too late now, but why not end the gb one day later on May 1st. This is a friday when a lot of people will get paid. This may help considering the economic situation. For me at least, rent is due at the end of the month, but my paycheck will hit literally hours after this closes.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 09:13:34 »
Just had a thought. It's probably too late now, but why not end the gb one day later on May 1st. This is a friday when a lot of people will get paid. This may help considering the economic situation. For me at least, rent is due at the end of the month, but my paycheck will hit literally hours after this closes.

No real prejudice in backing it up a day, but I can't imagine the venn diagram of people buying a keyboard for $325+shipping and people who don't have the liquidity in cash or ability to float this on a credit card for one day is a big enough crossover to warrant consideration. But maybe I don't have a good read on the demo.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 09:18:34 »

No real prejudice in backing it up a day, but I can't imagine the venn diagram of people buying a keyboard for $325+shipping and people who don't have the liquidity in cash or ability to float this on a credit card for one day is a big enough crossover to warrant consideration. But maybe I don't have a good read on the demo.

I mean, I could float in on my cc for a day worst case scenario. I just hate any amount of debt, lol. It would get me like $3.50 in rewards points though I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 10:26:02 »

I mean, I could float in on my cc for a day worst case scenario. I just hate any amount of debt, lol. It would get me like $3.50 in rewards points though I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To each their own, but I don't see this as debt since it won't even hit the billing statement if you pay it off immediately. Also $3.5 in rewards. Free money

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 10:34:04 »

I've asked the vendors if they're OK to extend a day

Offline befbef

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 16:32:28 »
I usually always prefer half-plates, but does a half-plate make sense for this board? I mean the uniqe thing of this board is the mounting style and a half-plate makes the mounting style pretty negligible (for the alphas).
What do you think?

Offline upas

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 17:54:47 »
Hey guys,

I talked to westfoxtrot.
I'll be bumping up my order cap to 150 on CannonKeys.

Hope this is good news!

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 17:55:27 »
Hey guys,

I talked to westfoxtrot.
I'll be bumping up my order cap to 150 on CannonKeys.

Hope this is good news!
Great news!

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 20:55:42 »
Still waiting for SEA vendor to put it up.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 01:25:30 »
best 60%, go buy

Offline Solotov

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 01:57:19 »
best 60%, go buy
Show Image

Could you please explain what you like most about the board? And how are the typing feel and sound?  :)
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline jmsp0511

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 02:25:52 »
There is no mention of bottom case color in this GB thread.

In the IC thread it says "The bottom will be available in either black or matching your top." 

Is this still the case?
Do we have a choice of matching color or black?

Offline LostGoatOnHill

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 02:49:31 »
Guess we can expect kb showing on mykeyboard.eu along with pricing today?

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 03:14:02 »
There is no mention of bottom case color in this GB thread.

In the IC thread it says "The bottom will be available in either black or matching your top." 

Is this still the case?
Do we have a choice of matching color or black?

missed from original post my bad. Added now and yes this is the case.

Guess we can expect kb showing on mykeyboard.eu along with pricing today?

Pricing is up now, listing will be available ASAP
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 April 2020, 03:16:41 by westfoxtrot »

Offline LostGoatOnHill

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 03:25:34 »
Thanks for posting euro price. When converted to USD (1 EUR = 1.093USD) that's $393. Could be cheaper getting it from Cannonkeys and having it shipped? Noob to custom kb to excuse the naivety if this is typically the case.

On plate front, any recommendation for half/full plate and material? primarily use kb for software dev, using tactiles (holy pandas inbound for this). Thanks!

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 03:31:06 »
Thanks for posting euro price. When converted to USD (1 EUR = 1.093USD) that's $393. Could be cheaper getting it from Cannonkeys and having it shipped? Noob to custom kb to excuse the naivety if this is typically the case.

On plate front, any recommendation for half/full plate and material? primarily use kb for software dev, using tactiles (holy pandas inbound for this). Thanks!

it's the price inclusive of VAT. If you order from CannonKeys then you will pay $325 + international shipping + VAT on import + import fees. Depending on your country the VAT will be around $65-80 total.

Half Plate is a very floaty soft, bouncy typing experience. Personally, I'd recommend full plate as not sure how tactiles would feel with a half plate (sorry not a tactiles guy really)

Offline kchlam

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 04:08:14 »

it's the price inclusive of VAT. If you order from CannonKeys then you will pay $325 + international shipping + VAT on import + import fees. Depending on your country the VAT will be around $65-80 total.

Half Plate is a very floaty soft, bouncy typing experience. Personally, I'd recommend full plate as not sure how tactiles would feel with a half plate (sorry not a tactiles guy really)

What would you recommend for linears in terms of plate configurations?

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 04:20:39 »

What would you recommend for linears in terms of plate configurations?

I have used vints on Nylon and PP and on both it sounds and feels great. My current board is half nylon, vints with geekmaker tops and tx 60g springs - really nice sound and feel to that. I previously had a full PP plate with retools which also was great. I've used MX silents in zeal housing previously and liked it but it isn't the nicest sounding IMO, think the zeal housing makes it a touch higher pitched? I think the denser housing will be nice on any configuration so gateron with a milky top is probably a nice option if you can't get a hold of nice retools or vints.

I know that koen has built with a much wider choice of switches maybe he can provide his thoughts

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 09:07:09 »
just ordered mine from mykeyboard.eu  :D

Offline tluer

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 09:09:18 »
Joined in for a black! Hyped

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 09:48:54 »
My form link from cannonkeys via email doesn’t work. I get this:

Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. Please try your request again later. Why did this happen?

This page appears when Google automatically detects requests coming from your computer network which appear to be in violation of the Terms of Service. The block will expire shortly after those requests stop.

This traffic may have been sent by malicious software, a browser plug-in, or a script that sends automated requests. If you share your network connection, ask your administrator for help — a different computer using the same IP address may be responsible. Learn more

Sometimes you may see this page if you are using advanced terms that robots are known to use, or sending requests very quickly.

Maybe it will work later?

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 10:08:35 »
My form link from cannonkeys via email doesn’t work. I get this:

Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. Please try your request again later. Why did this happen?

This page appears when Google automatically detects requests coming from your computer network which appear to be in violation of the Terms of Service. The block will expire shortly after those requests stop.

This traffic may have been sent by malicious software, a browser plug-in, or a script that sends automated requests. If you share your network connection, ask your administrator for help — a different computer using the same IP address may be responsible. Learn more

Sometimes you may see this page if you are using advanced terms that robots are known to use, or sending requests very quickly.

Maybe it will work later?

A few people have pointed this out, I guess there's an issue with the traffic atm. Upas and I are keeping an eye on it.

Offline fatcoffeebeans

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 10:12:15 »
awesome!  ;D
Topre Realforce 45g 87u

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 10:27:14 »
Now here I was not trying to spend any of my stimulus check & you guys go & release this.... :p Seriously though I might have to jump in for an e-white one! I really like the simplistic styling of the board & am super interested in the pin mounting. Westfoxtrot, how would compare this mounting style to gasket mounting? If I get one I'm gonna go with a nylon half plate & be building with some type of linear switch.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 11:39:56 »
Lol, Cannon Keys already sold through their 150 unit max ^-^

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 12:02:13 »

Damn that was fast! Oh well, I wasn't 100% sure on it anyways. GL with the production guys!

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 12:49:18 »

Damn that was fast! Oh well, I wasn't 100% sure on it anyways. GL with the production guys!
Not to tempt you, but you can order from the other vendors too!

Offline Mike89914

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 12:49:45 »
I got in on the cannonkey buys but struggling to actually pick what I want.

I was thinking of
WKL White top
black bottom
nylon plate (cuz it's black)

for the stormtrooper look.

What do you guys think? Also, did westfoxtrot say he prefers the nylon for this keyboard?
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 April 2020, 12:51:29 by Mike89914 »

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 13:03:32 »
suggestion for the google form:
enable the "edit after submit" function in case people change their minds about the options they selected :D

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 13:10:50 »

Good point!

Offline lunr

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 13:38:33 »
keyboard.eu doesn't ship to na.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 14:50:14 »
So... did they sell out? Not available on Cannon Keys anymore. I didn’t think there was a limit.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 15:13:09 »
So... did they sell out? Not available on Cannon Keys anymore. I didn’t think there was a limit.

Connon keys had a unit cap. You should be able to order through one of the other vendors though. Ilumkb would probably be your best bet once it's live

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 15:40:00 »
There wasn't a limit to the amount a single person could buy, but there was a limit to number being sold by the vendor. These sold out super fast

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 16:23:40 »
There wasn't a limit to the amount a single person could buy, but there was a limit to number being sold by the vendor. These sold out super fast

CannonKeys had a limit of 150. The other vendors are still open until May 1st and will all ship to the US.

All vendors are now live