Author Topic: [GB] Prophet 60% Keyboard Kit (Complete)  (Read 129318 times)

Offline macclack

• Macclack
Re: [GB] Prophet 60% Keyboard Kit
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 18:38:30 »
Ok thanks

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 19:40:22 »
Heh.

WTS US Proxy Prophet. 5 thousand dollars.

Don't low ball me, I know what I got.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 20:19:30 »
Could you give a tldr of plate material stiffness/consistency out of the options offered? I could have sworn i saw this discussed in the ic but couldn't find it in a quick skim through. Currently leaning towards nylon but curious about the pp as well.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 23:46:43 »
Could you give a tldr of plate material stiffness/consistency out of the options offered? I could have sworn i saw this discussed in the ic but couldn't find it in a quick skim through. Currently leaning towards nylon but curious about the pp as well.

He's using Nylon on his own board if that tells you anything.

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
    • Donate to Room To Read!
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 01:47:25 »

Just caught the topclack video and it seemed like the nylon plate somehow 'dried up', causing everything else to bend?

Offline Solotov

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 01:51:12 »

Wish we had nylon typing test...
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline LostGoatOnHill

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 02:25:41 »
Which is stiffest of plate materials. Trying to decide for tactiles (hp). Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 03:24:31 »

Wish we had nylon typing test...

This is a link to a nylon typing test

Just caught the topclack video and it seemed like the nylon plate somehow 'dried up', causing everything else to bend?

Nylon will shrink over time, once it's in place in the assembly it doesn't cause a problem. I recently built with a nylon plate I have had since the last round and didn't have a problem (despite it being a PITA to assemble with)

My advice if you're concerned is to go with another material - all of them offer a great experience.

Which is stiffest of plate materials. Trying to decide for tactiles (hp). Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The stiffest would be PC but it's still not very stiff compared to metals  :thumb:

here's what I've previously said about these materials in relation to a plastic plate GB I ran:

PC - relatively solid material, easy assembly - has a really nice sound profile in more traditional mounting methods (top/tray/sandwich) softens bottom out considerably compared to metals
PP - softest plastic IMO really softens out switch action in an interestingly uniform manner. Because it's soft it absorbs a lot of impact so lends itself well to flex-focussed applications
Nylon - my personal fave. softens impact nicely like PP but has a stronger deeper sound profile. excels in sandwich & pin-mount

and in regards this case in particular

Both are softer than acrylic and PC. PP has a much lower rating in terms of hardness which gives it a really soft bottom out and a lighter note. Nylon has a slightly deeper note than that and is also slightly firmer. The advantage in both is they are soft enough to dampen vibrations from hitting switches
    Fwiw nylon is my preferred material in this case

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 10:20:27 »
Awesome, thanks for the overview. I think polypropylene would be best for my preference after all. Not really down for fighting the shrinkage on nylon while assembling.

Edit: Just watched Chris' polypropylene typing test and it sounds amazing. Love the upstroke thwacks it has. Def going with PP.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 April 2020, 10:28:06 by Ensaum »

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 06:48:59 »
I've added in some more questions I've been asked on discord to the FAQ and updated details around the vendors.

Offline Solotov

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 07:20:20 »
In for nylon half plate  :thumb:. I guess the tip is to build it right away, so the plate doesn't shrink yet  ;D

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 08:11:39 »
How thick are the default plates?

(asking cuz I will most likely end up making my own for ANSI bottom row)

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 09:38:23 »
How thick are the default plates?

(asking cuz I will most likely end up making my own for ANSI bottom row)

1.5mm

Offline wylietimes

• Turbulent Labs
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 19:17:20 »
Hi, been checking out the videos and pictures of the prophet and I and love the design and above all the sound of the board. I have to say that it is probably the nicest sounding board I have heard on video (I'm sure that its because of the new pin mount system). However, I do have a few questions mostly regarding the pin mount mechanism.

1) Between PP, PC and Nylon, which would be the more durable plate material?
2) Is the whole plate secured to just the pins or are the whole length of the sides sandwiched / friction secured between the base and the top?
3) Do other plates have the same pinholes to match or do I have to source the plate solely from you?

Sorry for the lengthy questions, I just have real concerns of the plate flexing and the corners breaking if those are the only points of securing the plate to the base like so:

I am quite the heavy typist and am prone to accidentally breaking fragile components in products.

Thanks!
👽👾🤖

Offline iNViSiBiLiTi

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 00:01:33 »
Hi, been checking out the videos and pictures of the prophet and I and love the design and above all the sound of the board. I have to say that it is probably the nicest sounding board I have heard on video (I'm sure that its because of the new pin mount system). However, I do have a few questions mostly regarding the pin mount mechanism.

2) Is the whole plate secured to just the pins or are the whole length of the sides sandwiched / friction secured between the base and the top?
3) Do other plates have the same pinholes to match or do I have to source the plate solely from you?

Sorry for the lengthy questions, I just have real concerns of the plate flexing and the corners breaking if those are the only points of securing the plate to the base like so:

Show Image

I am quite the heavy typist and am prone to accidentally breaking fragile components in products.

Thanks!

once you assemble it, you shouldn't break it unless you tried to damage the keyboard by hitting it, tho with much force I'm not sure if any other keyboard would survive. 
60%: Prophet, GSKT-00 x2, Poly GSKT-00-Z, Weaven, Sangeo60, Unikorn R2.1, Ciel60

TKL: TGR Jane V2, Jane V2 CE, KFE, Noxary 280 S, Acrylic Unicorn, Igris V1, LZ-GHv2

Bulgogi Board (VA104M), Belle En Rose

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 04:38:42 »

Show Image

Thanks!

1) They're all pretty durable and not prone to cracking. I think nylon or PC is the strongest.
2) the plate is only held in place by the pins, the top doesn't touch the plate.
3) the plate files are open sourced on my github (linked in the original post)

I am not a very heavy typist, hopefully some original round buyers can chime in.
There aren't really fragile parts however. You can push or put a lot of pressure on the plate and it doesn't break

Offline wylietimes

• Turbulent Labs
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 06:46:01 »
Thanks! thats extremely helpful!!
👽👾🤖

Offline Solotov

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 08:36:44 »
Anyone order from Dailyclack received the link to form yet?

Offline iNViSiBiLiTi

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 19:13:53 »

Show Image

Thanks!

1) They're all pretty durable and not prone to cracking. I think nylon or PC is the strongest.
2) the plate is only held in place by the pins, the top doesn't touch the plate.

I am not a very heavy typist, hopefully some original round buyers can chime in.
There aren't really fragile parts however. You can push or put a lot of pressure on the plate and it doesn't break

Also, I cut my PP plate apart and it's still not broken. 

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/576452755766378496/659560573020930054/20191225_195740.jpg
60%: Prophet, GSKT-00 x2, Poly GSKT-00-Z, Weaven, Sangeo60, Unikorn R2.1, Ciel60

TKL: TGR Jane V2, Jane V2 CE, KFE, Noxary 280 S, Acrylic Unicorn, Igris V1, LZ-GHv2

Bulgogi Board (VA104M), Belle En Rose

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 21:06:24 »

Show Image

Thanks!

Also, I cut my PP plate apart and it's still not broken. 

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/576452755766378496/659560573020930054/20191225_195740.jpg

big brane move

Offline 808San808

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 14:27:38 »
I was lucky enough to get in on the release morning, I'm excited!  Wish my friend didn't link me the typing video  ;D

Offline wylietimes

• Turbulent Labs
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 16:42:21 »
I emailed Louis from the SEA retailer iLumkb regarding a few questions about purchase parts, my last email was 3 days ago and have still not received a reply. Just wondering if anyone could help me out here as I would like to place an order.

1) Im planning to order the HHKB layout, how many sets of switches (sold in packs of 10) would I need?
2) Would I need to disassemble and lube the switches?
3) Would I need this tool? https://ilumkb.com/collections/accessories/products/2-in-1-puller
4) Which stabilizers should I choose from your shop? and of which configuration from the dropdown :
https://ilumkb.com/collections/stabs-lubes/products/authentic-cherry-pcb-mounted-stabilizers
https://ilumkb.com/collections/stabs-lubes/products/gmk-screw-in-stabs

Thanks lots again and so sorry for the many questions. I'm very much new to the hobby :)

👽👾🤖

Offline chits

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 17:10:54 »
I emailed Louis from the SEA retailer iLumkb regarding a few questions about purchase parts, my last email was 3 days ago and have still not received a reply. Just wondering if anyone could help me out here as I would like to place an order.

1) Im planning to order the HHKB layout, how many sets of switches (sold in packs of 10) would I need?
3) Would I need this tool? https://ilumkb.com/collections/accessories/products/2-in-1-puller
4) Which stabilizers should I choose from your shop? and of which configuration from the dropdown :
https://ilumkb.com/collections/stabs-lubes/products/authentic-cherry-pcb-mounted-stabilizers

Thanks lots again and so sorry for the many questions. I'm very much new to the hobby :)

1) I would get 70-80 switches to be safe. The board itself will require a different number of switches based on the layout you choose (split backspace, split right shift etc)
2) If you want lubed switches, then yes you will have to.
3) That tool is useful and everyone should have one.
4) Screw in stabilizers are often preferred because they are more stable, less likely to come loose. You will want a 7u kit as the prophet only supports 7u spacebar.

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 17:13:26 »

1) I would get 70-80 switches to be safe. The board itself will require a different number of switches based on the layout you choose (split backspace, split right shift etc)
2) If you want lubed switches, then yes you will have to.
3) That tool is useful and everyone should have one.
4) Screw in stabilizers are often preferred because they are more stable, less likely to come loose. You will want a 7u kit as the prophet only supports 7u spacebar.

this + you will also need a soldering iron + solder to build the keyboard. Unless you are planning to use a hotswap pcb.

Offline self

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 17:17:55 »
You will need at least 60 switches in order to build keyboard in the most common HHKB layout (with split backspace and split right shift).
I would suggest you to buy 10 more (70 in total) if you are new to the hobby.

In order to lube your switches, you will need to disassemble them. You may buy a switch opener for doing this or you may use the screwdriver (check on YT, there are a lot of videos showing how to disassemble, lube and switch you switches).

The 2-in-1 tool you linked is a keycaps and switch puller, so you will need to get this as well if you don't want to damage your keycaps.

You may take any good PCB mounted stabs.
I personally prefer GMK screw-ins or Everglide stabs. I would suggest you to lube them (there are a lot of guides on YT).
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 April 2020, 17:20:29 by self »

Offline JamCrumpet

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 18:24:40 »
Just pre-ordered an e-white HHKB-ISO layout prophet :) HHKB-ISO is so hard to find.

Anyone got any ideas for which keycaps would match nicely with e-white? I might pre-order GMK's Bleached which is just white on white.

Offline wylietimes

• Turbulent Labs
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 00:36:27 »
Thanks lots for the helpful info! ... was ready to pull the trigger but the lack of responsiveness from the SEA retailer is making me hesitant.

👽👾🤖

Offline westway

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 10:14:04 »
Just pre-ordered an e-white HHKB-ISO layout prophet :) HHKB-ISO is so hard to find.

Anyone got any ideas for which keycaps would match nicely with e-white? I might pre-order GMK's Bleached which is just white on white.
Take a look at GMK Minimall. There is an IC live right now.

Offline FatherFizz

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 12:20:23 »
How do I go about ordering from mykeyboard.eu if I'm from the United States, because when I try and checkout, it doesn't let me put united states as an option

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 12:30:26 »
How do I go about ordering from mykeyboard.eu if I'm from the United States, because when I try and checkout, it doesn't let me put united states as an option

Use the Non-EU Order form link in the first post.

Offline FatherFizz

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 12:42:40 »
Awesome thank you. I had filled it out around 14 hours ago so it was just thinking that I would have a reply by now or at least the Paypal invoice.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 April 2020, 12:55:31 by FatherFizz »

Offline avtar

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 15:01:16 »
Awesome thank you. I had filled it out around 14 hours ago so it was just thinking that I would have a reply by now or at least the Paypal invoice.

I filled it out about a week ago. I think they're going to send out payment requests soonish.

Offline edctog

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 16:18:46 »
... I have tested it with a hotswap PCB and it held fine but I am not a particularly heavy typist so your mileage might vary.

Which hotswap PCB did you try? Due to my indecision, I got 4 different plates (3 full + half nylon). I'm a 65% guy but this is looking so good so I broke my rule. Hopefully you will make a 65% next :D.

Offline FireLock

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 17:44:54 »
One question, when ordering from mykeyboard.eu I would need to buy the product first in order to fill in the order number in the form right?

The form also asks if one wants a extra PCB/Plate which also is included in the same order number right? Better safe than sorry with these questions I guess. Thanks

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

Offline FoxFire007

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 19:14:40 »
I'm in the US. Can I purchase from dailyclack?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 19:47:54 »

Yes

Offline westway

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 04:18:49 »
Is it a pain to switch from a 65% layout to a 60% standard or HHKB layout? I hope it isn't a stupid question, but I am worried to miss the arrow keys while coding. Meanwhile, I placed the order on mykeyboard on the first day. When am I going to receive the form to choose the layout and the plate?

Offline RedBaron99

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 05:02:02 »
Love the look of the keyboard. I’m in for a nylon and PP plate. Any chance of VIA support?

Offline guzzi

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 05:12:32 »
Is it a pain to switch from a 65% layout to a 60% standard or HHKB layout? I hope it isn't a stupid question, but I am worried to miss the arrow keys while coding. Meanwhile, I placed the order on mykeyboard on the first day. When am I going to receive the form to choose the layout and the plate?

I thought I'd have trouble getting used to my first 60 after only using 65s for over a year, but personally I've never had a real problem with it. You need to try out
different setups for arrow keys and nav cluster to see what works best for you, smart use of layers and macros for navigation heavy coding expressions make all the difference.
As for the form, there's a link on the mykb product page.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 05:16:59 »
Any chance of VIA support?

I'll let Max confirm, but he has alluded to it being in the pipeline. 

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 05:30:45 »
Is it a pain to switch from a 65% layout to a 60% standard or HHKB layout? I hope it isn't a stupid question, but I am worried to miss the arrow keys while coding.

standard layout: use layers and map arrow keys to FN+WASD or FN+IJKL.. Or if you want one-key arrow keys then use QMK's modtap feature and use RSFT_T(KC_UP) for right Shift, RGUI_T(KC_LEFT) for right Win,  LT(1, KC_DOWN) for right Fn, and RCTL_T(KC_RGHT) for right Ctrl. If you press these keys alone (or in a sequence second or later), they will act as arrow keys. If you press these keys with other keys (as first in the sequence), they will act as modifiers.

press right Ctrl → generates right
hold down right Ctrl → press A → generates Ctrl+A
hold down left Ctrl → press right Ctrl → generator Ctrl+right

HHKB layout: use HHKB's diamond-shaped nav cluster

When am I going to receive the form to choose the layout and the plate?

If you are from Europe, use the Google form link on the product page.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 April 2020, 05:32:27 by dmatx1 »

Offline westway

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 06:05:38 »
Is it a pain to switch from a 65% layout to a 60% standard or HHKB layout? I hope it isn't a stupid question, but I am worried to miss the arrow keys while coding.

standard layout: use layers and map arrow keys to FN+WASD or FN+IJKL.. Or if you want one-key arrow keys then use QMK's modtap feature and use RSFT_T(KC_UP) for right Shift, RGUI_T(KC_LEFT) for right Win,  LT(1, KC_DOWN) for right Fn, and RCTL_T(KC_RGHT) for right Ctrl. If you press these keys alone (or in a sequence second or later), they will act as arrow keys. If you press these keys with other keys (as first in the sequence), they will act as modifiers.

press right Ctrl → generates right
hold down right Ctrl → press A → generates Ctrl+A
hold down left Ctrl → press right Ctrl → generator Ctrl+right

HHKB layout: use HHKB's diamond-shaped nav cluster

Thank you very much. I was looking exactly to this, as I had an Anne Pro 2 for a month which had a similar modtap feature.

When am I going to receive the form to choose the layout and the plate?

If you are from Europe, use the Google form link on the product page.

Thank you, I feel dumb when I don't read carefully. I don't know how I missed it in the product page.

Offline mech0nly

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 08:36:49 »
I wish ilumkb accepts Paypal ;)
356CL DGE | 356mini | 360C | G81-3000SAT | G81-3000SAU | G81-3077SAU | ESA-3000-HASRO | G80-3000LPCXY-2 | G80-3485LWNUS-2 | 55g HHKB

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
    • Donate to Room To Read!
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 05:24:47 »

I don't think any GB will accept Paypal due to their terms and conditions these days.

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 08:40:18 »

you can see a KLE here:
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/15d2dbeccf8be54143ac8bb7d8b97d4d

1) for standard HHKB it's 60 switches exactly but I'd recommend having a few extra so grab 7 packs
2) If you want lubed switches then yes, some switches come pre-lubed
3) This is a really useful tool, you don't need it but it comes in handy imo
4) for hhkb you need 2*2u stabilisers and 1*7u stabiliser

mykeyboard.eu are able to accept paypal as the new T&Cs aren't in effect in the EU yet

Any chance of VIA support?

I'll let Max confirm, but he has alluded to it being in the pipeline. 

the PCB will support VIA, qmk and VIA port already done. Just not been merged into QMK yet.

Personally I don't find it a problem,  I like using 60s and 65s most and find hhkb arrows the most comfortable to swap between!
The form is available here

You can purchase from any of the vendors!

One question, when ordering from mykeyboard.eu I would need to buy the product first in order to fill in the order number in the form right?

The form also asks if one wants a extra PCB/Plate which also is included in the same order number right? Better safe than sorry with these questions I guess. Thanks

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

You'll have one order number if you bought everything at the same time, if you have multiple order numbers you should be able to enter this in the field on the form.

... I have tested it with a hotswap PCB and it held fine but I am not a particularly heavy typist so your mileage might vary.

Which hotswap PCB did you try? Due to my indecision, I got 4 different plates (3 full + half nylon). I'm a 65% guy but this is looking so good so I broke my rule. Hopefully you will make a 65% next :D.

I have 3 65s in design/proto stages  :eek:

I tried a HS60 v2 (it's the only hotswap PCB I have) but I think it's hand soldered, not sure if you'd have bigger issues with some of the cheaper ones.

I filled it out about a week ago. I think they're going to send out payment requests soonish.

They have to manually process these invoice requests, they will be doing it in the next few days.

Sorry for taking a few days to reply everyone, life has been chaotic recently :-)

Offline jackcauliflower

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 08:10:49 »
Just ordered mine yesterday and haven’t received one yet. Will they be sending out a link once the GB closes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Solotov

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 08:15:42 »
Just ordered mine yesterday and haven’t received one yet. Will they be sending out a link once the GB closes?

They will send it in a couple days after placing an order. Just have to wait  :thumb:.

Offline chaosen

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 09:32:38 »
Does anyone have a suggestion as to which vendor would be best / most economical to order from to the US? Thanks very much in advance.

Offline jackcauliflower

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 09:48:18 »

They will send it in a couple days after placing an order. Just have to wait  :thumb:.
Cool beans, thanks for letting me know!

Offline segami

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 10:25:23 »
Placed my order through ilumkb..all the best with the GB!!