Author Topic: [GB] 7V - 75% Keyboard by gok (COMPLETED)  (Read 385770 times)

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
[GB] 7V - 75% Keyboard by gok (COMPLETED)
« on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 19:06:26 »
7V- designed by gok

0. CONTENTS

• DETAILS
  • VENDORS
  • STATUS
  • VIDEOS & BUILD STREAMS
  • GALLERY
  • FAQ

1. DETAILS
  • Case Angle: 7.0°
  • Materials: Aluminium & stainless steel (PVD coated steel/brass as extras)
  • Colours: Anodised Black, Grey, Dark Blue & E-white for the main chassis
  • Mounting method: Dampened plate over wilba.tech leaf-spring PCB-mount
  • Plate: 1.5mm Polycarbonate or aluminium. Link to the CAD file
  • PCB: WT75-C (non-hotswap) & USB-C daughterboard by Wilba- configurable with QMK/VIA
  • Weight: 2.6kg fully built
  • Layout options:

• Dimensions:

DOWNLOAD THE BUILD GUIDE HERE

2. VENDORS

Price: Base price of $450 USD plus shipping (polycarbonate plate and polished stainless logo and weight)
Timeline: Group-buy running from 10th of April 2020 till 5th of May 2020.

3. STATUS

ORDERS CLOSED

Group Buy completed.

4. VIDEOS & BUILD STREAMS

Typing test by Apiary Keyboards

Build stream & typing test by Taeha Types

5. GALLERY

**LINK TO THE BUILD ALBUM**

Grey with raw polished stainless steel weight and logo - GMK Oblivion keycaps

Really dark blue (this won't be the blue colour for the production run_ with raw polished stainless steel weight and logo - Enjoypbt 3000SAT keycaps

Black with black PVD stainless steel weight and logo - GMK White on Black keycaps

E-White with raw  polished stainless steel weight and logo - Enjoypbt Kuro/Shiro keycaps

PCB

6. FAQ

• What blue will be used for the production run?
    It will somewhere along the lines of the current blue renders which is lighter than the blue prototype. The target colour should resemble this. Please note that it is incredibly difficult to colour-match anodisation.

• Why can't we purchase the black PVD logo and weight as an upgrade option?
    The main reason for this is to streamline the quality checking and packaging process. We are expecting the QC process for PVD to be much more difficult than the raw steel parts and would like to deal with that separately.

• Any brass plate or weight/logo option?
    All the options have been locked in but the plate files will be released after the group buy closes so you can get your own plates cut in the material that you wish.

• Can we purchase the plate foam separately?
    Each plate that you buy from the extras page will come with its own plate foam. I'm looking into the possibility of selling these separately through Deskeys for those that want to get their own plates cut when I eventually release the plate files.

• Do you have a sound/typing test?
    I don't think providing a sound test in isolation is useful but the plan is to send the final round of prototypes to streamers which have done other tests in the past which will give you a point of reference for what this will sound like

• Can you explain the mounting system?
    This is primarily a PCB mounted keyboard. Instead of fixing the plate to the chassis and having the PCB float, this reverses the arrangement and has contact between the PCB and chassis and the plate sits on top of the foam.
    The little legs, dubbed "leaf-springs", provide flex that gives a softer typing experience.

• What are the differences in plates
    Aluminium is stiffer than polycarbonate and is my preference for clicky switches. I would recommend the aluminium plate for first-time builders because the switches stay in place better while building.
    The polycarbonate flex plate is an attempt to make a plate that is as close to a half plate as possible but still providing the tight switch cutouts to keep switches straight.
    At the end of the day, it all comes down to your preference on which would be the best for you.

• If I buy the kit, what else would I need?
    You will need Keycaps (ensure that it has 1.75u shift in the kit), Stabilisers (1x6.25u, 3x or 4x 2u depending on layout choice) and switches.

• Will this work with holtites/millmax sockets?
    I can't verify whether they work or not because I haven't tested it

• Do you have a discord server?
    I don't have the time to maintain a server but there are vendor servers that are dedicated to the 7V at Daily Clack and Deskeys.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 June 2021, 14:19:27 by gok_nz »

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
Re: [GB] 7V - 75% Keyboard by gok
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 19:06:35 »
Reserved

Offline whalematrontron

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 03:54:33 »
nice

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 04:26:13 »
Ordered a black one on deskeys with an extra pcb and plate. Get hyped!

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 05:48:30 »
Went all in for a personal board! 
Very happy that it's finally happening, the IC felt like it lasted so long.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline f1

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 08:56:19 »
Yessss! GB thread is here.
11 months in IC
3 weeks in GB
11 months till delivery
Can't wait!!

This thing is going to give 2021 a rocking start!

Sent from my smartphone which I have. Cable, charger, everything.

Offline akverma

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 10:14:36 »
Would the flex plate have a largerly same sound signature as the normal poly?

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 10:26:13 »
Fantastic, thanks gok!

Do you think streamers will receive their prototypes before the GB is finished?

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 14:56:45 »
For the most part, yes.

Fantastic, thanks gok!

Hopefully. I've been pestering the manufacturers for updates about when it will be finished for the past couple of days. The machining on them was done a while back and they were waiting on anodisation.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 16:37:52 »
Looking great and best luck with the GB!

Offline outterspacetits

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 18:51:48 »
I placed my order and I'm hoping for a speedy delivery. I presume this is conservative time-frame and given it's open and for 3 weeks, I'm super interested in seeing numbers ordered once GB closes.

Also, the three prototypes you have don't include the gray, right?

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 18:59:16 »
I placed my order and I'm hoping for a speedy delivery. I presume this is conservative time-frame and given it's open and for 3 weeks, I'm super interested in seeing numbers ordered once GB closes.

Correct. The last prototype I'm getting will be grey.

Offline walie

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 20:52:34 »

Lol, you’re definitely not getting it until 2021

Offline outterspacetits

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 21:11:32 »

Lol, you’re definitely not getting it until 2021

Sure, I read the expected delivery time. : )

Offline zaME19

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 08:17:25 »
Finally a group buy with the layout i want!

Hope to see all colour options, cant decide yet :)

Offline lady_renari

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 09:36:37 »
Incredibly excited, went all in.  This will be a great project for me this time next year.  Happy to hear you'll be releasing the plate files eventually too - thank you for that.   GLWGB!

Offline dallman5

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 10:13:05 »
I prefer the 6u bottom row aesthetically (not a big fan of mixing 1.25u and 1.5u mods); where is a good place to source a 6u stab wire from? If memory serves, some old Cherry 1800/11800/11900 boards have them, but I was wondering if there is anything out there that wouldn't require me harvesting a full board for just one stab wire.

I'm very excited to join the buy! I'm torn between blue with silver accents or the completely murdered out black look, currently.
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline flatwhitemyth

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 10:43:27 »
I prefer the 6u bottom row aesthetically (not a big fan of mixing 1.25u and 1.5u mods); where is a good place to source a 6u stab wire from? If memory serves, some old Cherry 1800/11800/11900 boards have them, but I was wondering if there is anything out there that wouldn't require me harvesting a full board for just one stab wire.

I'm very excited to join the buy! I'm torn between blue with silver accents or the completely murdered out black look, currently.

If you look on the included items in the kit, there is a line item that says "1x Genuine Cherry 6u stabilizer," so it looks like they are going through the effort of sourcing the 6u for you.

Offline dallman5

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 10:45:47 »

If you look on the included items in the kit, there is a line item that says "1x Genuine Cherry 6u stabilizer," so it looks like they are going through the effort of sourcing the 6u for you.
Oh sweet! I completely glossed over that bit, good looking out :)
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline chowbabyloving

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 11:51:17 »
For the most part, yes.

Fantastic, thanks gok!

Hopefully. I've been pestering the manufacturers for updates about when it will be finished for the past couple of days. The machining on them was done a while back and they were waiting on anodisation.

Which streamers do you think will be receiving prototypes? I heard Taehatypes was on that list?

Offline siggerzz

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 14:56:08 »
Been out of the loop with mechanical keyboards since I picked up my M60-A at the end of 2018. Glad I decided to come on here the other day! :D

Picked up the e-white colourway, but forgot to pick-up a spare PCB... Think I'm going to put Serika on here, but GMK Peaches N Cream looks so clean.

Offline HoochTheHero

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 14:58:18 »
Made a geekhack just to comment on the IC for this. Super stoked. Got one black and one white with pvd weight. Nice work Gok, now I just need that kuro shiro r2!

Offline Cuttooth

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 15:22:08 »
In for E-white with the PVD weight and logo. The Kuro/Shiro shots just look too good and plenty of other sets such as GMK Bleached or Sumi would also look great with the black contrast. Can't say I haven't been incredibly tempted to get a black one too.

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 15:32:19 »
For the most part, yes.

Fantastic, thanks gok!

Which streamers do you think will be receiving prototypes? I heard Taehatypes was on that list?
There are only a couple of units and Taeha is on that list.

Made a geekhack just to comment on the IC for this. Super stoked. Got one black and one white with pvd weight. Nice work Gok, now I just need that kuro shiro r2!
Kuro/Shiro will be coming back this year but with some alterations. Epbt had a hard time making the black accent keys so most of those are out but I might be able to keep the novelty.

Offline BigBabyJesus

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 15:49:35 »
Hoping we can get that Typing test. =)
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 April 2020, 03:52:42 by BigBabyJesus »

Offline outterspacetits

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 21:52:49 »
Is it suggested that I order two PCB's?

Offline Solotov

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 22:29:49 »
In for all black with extra black pvd  ;D

Kuro/Shiro will be coming back this year but with some alterations. Epbt had a hard time making the black accent keys so most of those are out but I might be able to keep the novelty.

Any chance you run kuro/shiro in gmk as well? Actually, I just want it in ABS instead of PBT, so even JTK will do :p.
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 23:09:01 »
Every time I haven't ordered two, I've regretted it.

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 23:30:49 »

Any chance you run kuro/shiro in gmk as well? Actually, I just want it in ABS instead of PBT, so even JTK will do :p.
If I were you, I'd just get GMK Metaverse

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 23:55:16 »

Wilba PCBs are usually pretty rock solid, but for such an expensive board, I would get a backup PCB.

Offline Djmm

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 04:39:46 »
Can we put other PCB into this case you reckon? Say if it broke in the future and you don't wanna have expensive paperweight

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 04:48:17 »
Can we put other PCB into this case you reckon? Say if it broke in the future and you don't wanna have expensive paperweight
Not really because it's PCB mount. If there is a need for it, I'd consider running a GB for replacement PCBs in the future, much like what Fox Labs are doing.

Offline BigBabyJesus

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 05:23:57 »
I'm pretty new to this and I was doing some research and now I totally understand why you went for a Polycarbonate plate. I can only imagine how good this board will sound.

Offline OmniSzron

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 07:37:51 »
Yeah, that blackout version is an absolute thing of beauty. Wish I didn't have to buy them separately and then discard the stainless steel ones, though.
Fox Lab Key 65 split space

Offline zaME19

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 08:49:05 »
Hey i want to put the Nautilus 2 Keycap set on it, should be alright with the blue colour posted earlier, right?

Edit: Another maybe foolish question, if i go for layout option 2 (6.25 u spacebar), im still able to go for the normal backspace in the top row instead of the 2 keys?
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 April 2020, 09:34:16 by zaME19 »

Offline itsmartin

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 09:56:59 »
Correct, split backspace, stepped caps lock and your bottom row are all independent choices.

Offline Narcolepsy

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 11:16:41 »
I plan on getting GMK Bleached and putting it on this, but I can't decide if I should go with E-White with PVD/Logo or Black with PVD/Logo. Also that $700 price tag, ouch.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 13:58:11 »
I plan on getting GMK Bleached and putting it on this, but I can't decide if I should go with E-White with PVD/Logo or Black with PVD/Logo. Also that $700 price tag, ouch.

your choice, but Bleached's white (WS1 I think?) is brighter than E-White, if that helps. I bought two pcbs. One for Dark and tactiles, and one for Masterpiece. Haven't decided what to use with Masterpiece yet, most likely clickies.

Offline zaME19

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 14:57:02 »
Correct, split backspace, stepped caps lock and your bottom row are all independent choices.

Thanks for the quick response,

im right with my assumption that we need plate mount stabs, no pcb mount available?

Offline chowbabyloving

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 15:14:40 »
How does the stainless steel weight's durability compare to other more common keyboard materials like anodized aluminum and pvd coated brass or even uncoated brass?

Is it easy to repair cosmetic issues like scratches or scuffs on the stainless?

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 16:10:15 »

Thanks for the quick response,

im right with my assumption that we need plate mount stabs, no pcb mount available?

the pcb will, im sure, support both pcb screw in and pcb clip in stabs. which is what 99% of modern pcbs support.

Offline zaME19

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 16:22:53 »
I couldn't see the screw in holes or pinholes for snap-ins in the pcb pictures.

Offline chowbabyloving

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 17:21:04 »

I'm pretty sure there are stab holes there around spacebar, backspace, left shift and enter.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 18:32:42 »

they're there man, i see them loud and clear.

Offline Djmm

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 23:22:17 »
Just wondering, as the group buy is via several shops, when it comes to delivery, how will this get done? Evenly across each shops or. First batch goes to all shops in same amount, etc

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 03:32:53 »
How does the stainless steel weight's durability compare to other more common keyboard materials like anodized aluminum and pvd coated brass or even uncoated brass?

Is it easy to repair cosmetic issues like scratches or scuffs on the stainless?
Stainless steel is less durable than the anodised surface of aluminium but more resilient than raw aluminium or brass.
There are stainless steel polishing kits and you can buff out small scratches.
There are also stainless steel protection sprays but these look to be pretty expensive

Offline trg1234

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 12:54:51 »
any numbers update on how many units sold?

Offline rath_k

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 17:02:32 »
Will the prototypes be sold at some point? I imagine they won't, but I am very interested in the really dark blue vs the lighter render color.

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 20:05:46 »
any numbers update on how many units sold?
Can't release this information, sorry.

Will the prototypes be sold at some point? I imagine they won't, but I am very interested in the really dark blue vs the lighter render color.
I won't be selling the prototypes.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 20:10:43 »

Proto's will not be sold. I am sorry but we have plans for them.