Author Topic: [GB] 7V - 75% Keyboard by gok (COMPLETED)  (Read 385794 times)

Offline bakuretsu

Re: [GB] 7V - 75% Keyboard by gok
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 00:46:24 »
I wish I could justify spending this much money on a keyboard without any sound tests available before the GB period ends. It probably sounds good, but I can't risk it.

Also, if there is anyone from the production side of things who knows a bit about materials engineering and is checking this thread, I'd like to echo the question from HorrorStorm and hmmmwhatsthis about the long-term durability of the thin PCB strips being used as a mounting method. I'd hate to be a proud owner of this board a few years from now when those strips finally snap from repeated stress, leaving me with a ~$500 paperweight.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2020, 00:52:47 by bakuretsu »

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 01:44:53 »
I would imagine because of the depth of the case that it would be almost impossible to flex the PCB to snapping point.

Offline Sycomore

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 02:27:19 »
I would imagine because of the depth of the case that it would be almost impossible to flex the PCB to snapping point.

Like I mean probably but repeated stress on the same area could, theoretically.

Offline gt1989

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 05:41:55 »
feature=youtu.be

sound test by 1 of the vendors

Offline PotlePawtle

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 06:10:23 »
feature=youtu.be

sound test by 1 of the vendors

Any chance of a typing test with video before GB ends?

Offline nappis

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 09:14:27 »
Also, if there is anyone from the production side of things who knows a bit about materials engineering and is checking this thread, I'd like to echo the question from HorrorStorm and hmmmwhatsthis about the long-term durability of the thin PCB strips being used as a mounting method. I'd hate to be a proud owner of this board a few years from now when those strips finally snap from repeated stress, leaving me with a ~$500 paperweight.
Custom and proprietary parts is something I hate in this hobby. I don't get it why anyone would like to have 500$ case made completely unusable when 40$ PCB fails inside the keyboard.

Designers in this hobby should invest more in designing compatible parts.

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 09:44:54 »
That typing sounded pretty good aside from that rattly spacebar

Offline Arithmetics

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 10:34:30 »
Custom and proprietary parts is something I hate in this hobby. I don't get it why anyone would like to have 500$ case made completely unusable when 40$ PCB fails inside the keyboard.

ahem. this problem you point out is completely handled by the fact that the PCB is $60 not $40 ;)

Offline Solotov

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 10:42:33 »

I would like it because it's innovation. Look at that interesting pcb leaf-spring. How could it be compatible with any off-the-shelf products?
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline gt1989

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 11:27:12 »

You can get a TKL that is compatible with the h87 pcbs. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fZ8FtTGDl222hXnomQJgKmwRnWvg2VuoJ-GeAafVTLc/edit#gid=0

Offline kaiba

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 04:37:19 »
I'm guessing the final prototype won't arrive in time. :( Any chance we can see a render of the grey case with black pvd weight?

Offline krey

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 05:01:39 »
lol this is the first time i hopped on for a black case!
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline r4bbl3d4bbl3

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 05:57:00 »
Is there a way to see purchase numbers? I am curious as to what colors people are choosing. I can't decide on murdered out all black or black and white!

Offline itsmartin

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 06:04:03 »
I'm guessing the final prototype won't arrive in time. :( Any chance we can see a render of the grey case with black pvd weight?

Its not quite the same, but in the IC thread there are renders of the grey case showing the black PVD badge, but I don't think there is any that show the weight.

It should at least help you see the contrast between them.

Offline kaiba

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 14:57:40 »

Its not quite the same, but in the IC thread there are renders of the grey case showing the black PVD badge, but I don't think there is any that show the weight.

I did see the IC thread and like the grey case with black badge a lot. But I'm having a hard time imagining the black weight in the back with all the reflections like in the photos of the black prototype. I just can't get over that look... but a grey case works better for my keysets. I'm stumped over if I like the look of the black pvd weight itself, or if it's more because it matches so well with the black case.

Also to add, price is a major concern for me, like, I think I'd like grey with black weight, but is it like $160 (USD) better than grey with stainless steel y'know? :p I'm not sure if I'll regret spending that much on just the weight if I end up not liking it as much as I thought, or if I'll regret not having the weight in the end by trying to save money. Was hoping a render would help me finalize my decision.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2020, 16:20:24 by kaiba »

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 16:33:33 »

I did see the IC thread and like the grey case with black badge a lot. But I'm having a hard time imagining the black weight in the back with all the reflections like in the photos of the black prototype. I just can't get over that look... but a grey case works better for my keysets. I'm stumped over if I like the look of the black pvd weight itself, or if it's more because it matches so well with the black case.

Also to add, price is a major concern for me, like, I think I'd like grey with black weight, but is it like $160 (USD) better than grey with stainless steel y'know? :p I'm not sure if I'll regret spending that much on just the weight if I end up not liking it as much as I thought, or if I'll regret not having the weight in the end by trying to save money. Was hoping a render would help me finalize my decision.
I know I said that I won't be doing more renders but I'm making an exception this time because there aren't any photos of the grey prototype so it has been a bit underrepresented.

Offline OmniSzron

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 16:50:16 »
Aaaaaaaand sold.

If the gray one looks anything like this render, I'm sucking it up.
Fox Lab Key 65 split space

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 17:04:03 »
Aaaaaaaand sold.

If the gray one looks anything like this render, I'm sucking it up.

Space Gray best Gray!

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 17:26:24 »
We know a lot of people were wanting to see a build along with some typing test before purchasing.

Unfortunately due to delays with COVID-19 the protos did not arrive in time. Because of this, we are extending the GB until end of day May 5. This will allow a couple protos to be built - Taeha Types and Apiary Keyboards will both be building one before then.

TLDR: GB extended until May 5.

Offline kaiba

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 18:05:51 »
I know I said that I won't be doing more renders but I'm making an exception this time because there aren't any photos of the grey prototype so it has been a bit underrepresented.
Show Image

Man I'm so excited for this keyboard!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to make a render of the grey with black, it really helped me figure out what I want. :D

We know a lot of people were wanting to see a build along with some typing test before purchasing.

Unfortunately due to delays with COVID-19 the protos did not arrive in time. Because of this, we are extending the GB until end of day May 5. This will allow a couple protos to be built - Taeha Types and Apiary Keyboards will both be building one before then.

Glad to hear some prototypes will also be built in the coming few days, thank you for extending the group buy a little bit so we can see them in time!
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2020, 18:08:31 by kaiba »

Offline ossetepo

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 18:50:37 »

Thanks for doing this, I'm one of those people and was biting my nails about committing to this one without seeing some more proto stuff.

Offline hkhawk

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 23:03:58 »

Awesome, thanks guys

Offline batmanwcm

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 23:16:27 »
I was on the fence on which color to order but ended up with Black with an extra PCB.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 00:19:23 »
Went for the navy with an extra pcb and the extra flex plate as well as standard pc plate. Was to'ing and fro'ing between the navy with ss and the e-white.

Offline DaveOrAstroDave

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 00:45:58 »
Gok - absolutely beautiful keyboard! Any chance the microcontroller on the PCB will have sufficient unused pins that a rotary encoder could be hand-wired in? Seems to me that lonely key to the right of the F12 is a prime candidate for a custom mod job, if I can solve the round-peg in a square-hole problem without ruining the looks... ;-)

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 01:00:34 »
Gok - absolutely beautiful keyboard! Any chance the microcontroller on the PCB will have sufficient unused pins that a rotary encoder could be hand-wired in? Seems to me that lonely key to the right of the F12 is a prime candidate for a custom mod job, if I can solve the round-peg in a square-hole problem without ruining the looks... ;-)
If a rotary encoder is what you're after then it'd probably be better to wait for the Satisfaction75 R2.

Offline Vyndem

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 12:18:15 »
Is it right that the GB will be live until the 5th of May?

Offline gt1989

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 12:23:45 »
Is it right that the GB will be live until the 5th of May?

Offline geistmate

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 21:50:52 »
Saw the render and updated my order to also get gray in addition to E-White.. Now time to forget about this until March next year. :D

Offline r4bbl3d4bbl3

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 22:18:34 »
Saw the render and updated my order to also get gray in addition to E-White.. Now time to forget about this until March next year. :D

Damn, going hard on this one huh? Hope you went in for the black weights and badges too.

Offline DaveOrAstroDave

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 00:12:37 »
If a rotary encoder is what you're after then it'd probably be better to wait for the Satisfaction75 R2.

Probably, but honestly I like the overall look of the 7V more. That OLED on the Satisfaction kind of throws the balance off IMO. I'm glad I have a little extra time to mull this over...

Offline OmniSzron

« Reply #131 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 06:34:03 »

Probably, but honestly I like the overall look of the 7V more. That OLED on the Satisfaction kind of throws the balance off IMO. I'm glad I have a little extra time to mull this over...
There's still the Evolv coming up with that sweet rotary joystick.

Offline r4bbl3d4bbl3

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 08:11:42 »
When can we expect to see the prototypes being built?

Offline itsmartin

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 08:38:52 »
Taeha will build his on the 5th at 12 PST, according to his twitter.

Offline r4bbl3d4bbl3

« Reply #134 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 09:09:41 »

Awesome, thanks!

Offline Melnyx

« Reply #135 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 13:45:44 »
So, I can just order on the 5th, after watching Taeha? It is 9pm here in Europe, when he starts streaming :s and I really dont wanna blind buy at such price point.

Offline r4bbl3d4bbl3

« Reply #136 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 14:28:20 »
So, I can just order on the 5th, after watching Taeha? It is 9pm here in Europe, when he starts streaming :s and I really dont wanna blind buy at such price point.

Just go ahead and get one of each color to cover your bases.

:D

Offline irZoro

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 17:44:42 »
How much does the brass weight weigh compared to the stainless one?

Offline samG

« Reply #138 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 19:08:51 »

I am assuming that the GB will end at the end of May 5th right? I want to see it built before I put in my order.
Falcon dittos are the lifeblood of the scene.

Offline OmniSzron

« Reply #139 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 20:03:36 »
How much does the brass weight weigh compared to the stainless one?
Stainless Steel: 7,982 kg/m3
Brass: 8,587 kg/m3
So about the same. Brass is ~7,5% heavier.

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #140 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 23:19:01 »
Main post updated with photos of the grey prototype

Offline whricom

« Reply #141 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 23:35:53 »
I just placed my order. I'm so freaking glad the group by was extended, otherwise I would've been left in the dust. Just set my calendar countdown! Come to daddy!

Offline OmniSzron

« Reply #142 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 14:16:34 »
Main post updated with photos of the grey prototype

Yes! This is precisely the shade of grey I was hoping for. Ordered both grey and black. :) I'm so hyped. :D

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #143 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 15:09:30 »
Stram tonight at 5pm MDT by GASP - 7V prototype!  :)
https://www.twitch.tv/apiarykeyboards

Offline yeahitschris

« Reply #144 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 17:10:12 »

Thank you! Going to tune into this stream before I make my purchase.

Offline GhostEther

« Reply #145 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 21:27:05 »
Here's a sound test of the board with PC plate, lubed creams with 205g0.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SmoggyAggressiveMushroomMingLee

Offline PoohGom

« Reply #146 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 21:35:39 »

Thank you! You have convinced me to join the GB now, the sound test was amazing, and the stream itself was very entertaining and great!

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #147 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 21:44:04 »
Thank you! You have convinced me to join the GB now, the sound test was amazing, and the stream itself was very entertaining and great!

Haha, you are welcome! And yes, the 7V sounds really good  ;)

Offline r4bbl3d4bbl3

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 23:15:36 »
So I watched the stream and saw a lot of people saying they are buy two different colors. Are y’all really out here getting two of these boards?

Offline outterspacetits

« Reply #149 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 23:20:27 »
So I watched the stream and saw a lot of people saying they are buy two different colors. Are y’all really out here getting two of these boards?

I got 2. x: I purchased gray and ewhite.