Author Topic: [GB] 7V - 75% Keyboard by gok (COMPLETED)  (Read 385778 times)

Offline trg1234

Re: [GB] 7V - 75% Keyboard by gok
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 23:35:45 »
any numbers update on how many units sold?
Can't release this information, sorry.
I hope you do change your mind and release at least like 100 figures as it does affect purchasing decisions.

Offline OmniSzron

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 08:37:40 »
I hope you do change your mind and release at least like 100 figures as it does affect purchasing decisions.
Really? Why?
Fox Lab Key 65 split space

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 13:21:28 »
Really? Why?

Flippers want to know how rare the board will be.

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 13:34:41 »
Flippers want to know how rare the board will be.

lol.

Offline trg1234

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 14:41:07 »
Really? Why?
I don't want to join a 700 pvd board gb.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 14:57:54 »
I couldn't see the screw in holes or pinholes for snap-ins in the pcb pictures.

Tough to miss: https://i.imgur.com/mfLZI46.jpg

Offline kevchigga

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 15:50:59 »
Which plate do you guys think will sound best with linear switches?

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 16:34:58 »

So wait, you only want to get in on this GB if it's sold in low quantities?  Not because you want to support the GB organizer and/or genuinely appreciate the product - do I have that right?

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 17:15:05 »

So wait, you only want to get in on this GB if it's sold in low quantities?  Not because you want to support the GB organizer and/or genuinely appreciate the product - do I have that right?

Sounds elitist, but then QA might be more consistent with lower quantities.

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 17:27:10 »
Elitest, and also a bit hyperbole.  When's the last time the GB for a custom board went over 700 units? (inb4 it's way more common than I think)

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 18:07:13 »
Elitest, and also a bit hyperbole.  When's the last time the GB for a custom board went over 700 units? (inb4 it's way more common than I think)

Without caps, I'm sure plenty of customs would. Keycult had 2500+ people join their raffle. LZ Physix got to around 250 units before the GB was shut down early. I'm sure Rama's boards have sold that much.

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 18:36:34 »
Also, I've heard PVD is a b*tch to QC. So the fact that is an unlimited GB with that in mind makes the worry about total units sold a valid concern IMO.

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 18:45:08 »
Sure, but PVD is an addon.  Standard units come with the more unique weight, IMO.  SS is neat!

Offline willyG

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 19:18:46 »
Are there any audio files / videos of a sound test? Or still awaiting prototype? Any other gok boards I could search? Love the design. Gorgeous

Offline ryane516

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 22:31:28 »
Kia Ora Gok! I will definitely join this GB just waiting for the end of the month :D

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 00:41:50 »
Sure, but PVD is an addon.  Standard units come with the more unique weight, IMO.  SS is neat!

I was looking forward to a black PVD option for the weight. I was expecting it to be a replacement option, but it turned out to be a whole other option. I need to be responsible with my keeb money so I decided to not get it (as much as it breaks my heart) and just look for some local service to coat and color the raw SS weight.

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 03:19:42 »

I was looking forward to a black PVD option for the weight. I was expecting it to be a replacement option, but it turned out to be a whole other option. I need to be responsible with my keeb money so I decided to not get it (as much as it breaks my heart) and just look for some local service to coat and color the raw SS weight.

That's a good idea, actually!  For me, I went with the grey case so I think the SS weight will look pretty dope as-is! 

Offline kakiharaOne

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 13:19:03 »
What are the dimensions?

Offline Djmm

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 17:52:23 »
Am I right to assume these:
Linear go with polycarbonate plate
Otherwise go with alu plate

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 18:03:55 »
What are the dimensions?
I've added a drawing with the dimensions to the main post.

Am I right to assume these:
Linear go with polycarbonate plate
Otherwise go with alu plate
It's really up to you.

Offline crosscutgymnast

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 18:26:30 »
The polaris that just shipped was over 1000 board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 20:12:30 »
Well, that one makes sense - what was that board, under $300, right?

edit: still impressive, though!

Offline Cyber-chair

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 08:20:25 »
What kind of stabilizers are supported/recommended? I'm a bit confused on the different types. (PCB mounted, PCB screw mounted, plate mounted.)

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 08:50:59 »
What kind of stabilizers are supported/recommended? I'm a bit confused on the different types. (PCB mounted, PCB screw mounted, plate mounted.)
I recommend Durock screw-in stabs.

Offline Treadstone

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 09:56:21 »
I have finally stumbled upon a keyboard layout I was looking for! I got fed up with 60% - which can be limiting for MOBAs with a lot of micro-control. Anyway, I'm planning on using KAM Wraiths and Bushido Stabs. Since I own a keyboard that has plate mounted Gateron Clears (and I am very happy with the overall performance), I got really used to them due to my excessive gaming and typing/coding sessions. Would you recommend using those same switches on this PCB? I guess it could be more prone to damage since the plate provides a feeling of sturdiness, but I don't mind re-soldering new switches. Or, if you'd recommend an alternative? I have previously used Cherry Reds, but I have a feeling that a heavy 3-year usage has taken its toll  :eek:

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 10:02:13 »
I have finally stumbled upon a keyboard layout I was looking for! I got fed up with 60% - which can be limiting for MOBAs with a lot of micro-control. Anyway, I'm planning on using KAM Wraiths and Bushido Stabs. Since I own a keyboard that has plate mounted Gateron Clears (and I am very happy with the overall performance), I got really used to them due to my excessive gaming and typing/coding sessions. Would you recommend using those same switches on this PCB? I guess it could be more prone to damage since the plate provides a feeling of sturdiness, but I don't mind re-soldering new switches. Or, if you'd recommend an alternative? I have previously used Cherry Reds, but I have a feeling that a heavy 3-year usage has taken its toll  :eek:
If you're into linears, maybe get some creams and lube them up to avoid scratchy switches. Any switches will do, just up to you.

Offline hmmmwhatsthis

• no
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 11:26:35 »
Really? Why?

Definitely a concern considering the proposed timeline for release. PVD QC is a nightmare.

Offline bard

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 16:24:01 »
any real photos of grey ano?

Offline OmniSzron

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 11:25:53 »
Not yet. Gok is waiting for the proto as we speak (as am I, because I can't decide on the colour).
Fox Lab Key 65 split space

Offline bard

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 16:26:17 »
Not yet. Gok is waiting for the proto as we speak (as am I, because I can't decide on the colour).

I assume that it will not happen before the 1st of May and have the same problem as you!  ;D

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 16:57:53 »

I assume that it will not happen before the 1st of May and have the same problem as you!  ;D
I'll be able to post some pics of the grey proto from the factory soon.

Offline HorrorStorm

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 23:36:11 »
This is the second leaf-spring keyboard I've seen (first being Thermal). But is anyone else concerned about the PCB's life span? Thermal was a plate-based leaf-spring, while 7V is a PCB-based leaf-spring. I'm no material engineer, or familiar with how much flex a PCB can withstand, but some of the joints are near "hot-zones"(places where people tend to button mash keys. E.g there's one next to the arrows keys). Slight flexing from thousands of keypresses over 10 years adds up.

Again, I'm not familiar with material fatigue or the materials used in PCBs in general, but I'm interested in informed opinions. Replacing a uniquely designed PCB such as the 7V's would be nearly impossible 10 years from now.

I asked on the discord and no one seemed too concerned(due to the polymers used in the PCB), so maybe it's just me. I figured I'd also ask the GH community.

I'm definitely excited for this GB.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 02:36:20 »
This is the second leaf-spring keyboard I've seen (first being Thermal). But is anyone else concerned about the PCB's life span? Thermal was a plate-based leaf-spring, while 7V is a PCB-based leaf-spring. I'm no material engineer, or familiar with how much flex a PCB can withstand, but some of the joints are near "hot-zones"(places where people tend to button mash keys. E.g there's one next to the arrows keys). Slight flexing from thousands of keypresses over 10 years adds up.

Again, I'm not familiar with material fatigue or the materials used in PCBs in general, but I'm interested in informed opinions. Replacing a uniquely designed PCB such as the 7V's would be nearly impossible 10 years from now.

I asked on the discord and no one seemed too concerned(due to the polymers used in the PCB), so maybe it's just me. I figured I'd also ask the GH community.

I'm no expert, but it was my understanding that the plate and the dampener would help against button mashing.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 11:50:26 »

I'm not concerned. The materials used in PCBs are flexible and, if you are truly concerned, you should just buy an extra PCB or two.

I always buy an extra anyways.

Offline fireballw360

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 13:48:04 »
Would it be possible to use plate-mount switches in this in some capacity? I understand that this is primarily a PCB mount system but with the aluminum plate + foam ontop I was wondering if the switches will be more secure? I have some switches that I unfortunately already clipped to work in my current plate mount board :(

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 13:55:53 »
Would it be possible to use plate-mount switches in this in some capacity? I understand that this is primarily a PCB mount system but with the aluminum plate + foam ontop I was wondering if the switches will be more secure? I have some switches that I unfortunately already clipped to work in my current plate mount board :(
Yes, you can use plate mounted switches. It will be harder to get them straight but it's not too bad. One of the prototypes was built with box clickies which come as plate mount only.

Offline corgikeyboard

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 14:03:32 »
Glad to support after all this time - went with the black.

Offline tonyjones

• I like big butts and I cannot lie.
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 13:24:23 »
Do you think we'll see a sound test before the group by ends?

Offline hmmmwhatsthis

• no
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 13:40:23 »

I'm not concerned. The materials used in PCBs are flexible and, if you are truly concerned, you should just buy an extra PCB or two.

How is that a good response?

Just buy extra PCBs because the part might fail? How about seeing some force tests to show there isn't a point of failure? This community will buy anything :rolleyes:

No response to the question about PVD QC is another confidence-booster.

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 13:42:22 »
I checked the EU vendor; mykeyboard.eu, but you can't choose a color. Is that normal?

Offline gt1989

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 13:44:15 »

Just buy extra PCBs because the part might fail? How about seeing some force tests to show there isn't a point of failure? This community will buy anything :rolleyes:

have they're been any keyboards where a FR4 plate has broken?

Offline hmmmwhatsthis

• no
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 13:57:47 »

have they're been any keyboards where a FR4 plate has broken?

Nothing to do with the plate, talking about the thin strips on the PCB.

Need to emphasize that I'm not saying definitely it's a problem, just asking for proof that it's not.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 14:24:47 »

Everything is going to be inspected by one of our collaborative team at the factory before even shipping out. We are accounting for the defect rate by making sure that we order plenty of extras on that part. PVD is very tricky to get right, but we are doing everything possible to make sure that there are no hiccups.

I can't speak for the PCB, as I am not an engineer, but from the samples I have, it would seem very unlikely that someone could break this from normal usage.

Offline tonyjones

• I like big butts and I cannot lie.
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 16:25:01 »

Everything is going to be inspected by one of our collaborative team at the factory before even shipping out. We are accounting for the defect rate by making sure that we order plenty of extras on that part. PVD is very tricky to get right, but we are doing everything possible to make sure that there are no hiccups.

I can't speak for the PCB, as I am not an engineer, but from the samples I have, it would seem very unlikely that someone could break this from normal usage.

Thanks! that's definitely re-assuring.

Offline roznalos

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 19:44:23 »
Signed up for this forum just to comment about this Group Buy! Looking forward to it. White with Vaporwave sure looks nice!I will build based on that.

Offline hmmmwhatsthis

• no
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 22:35:16 »

Appreciate the response.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 04:10:31 »
Ordered the grey one, and planning a keyset around it.

Congrats gok and mgsickler — can't wait to get it! This is going to be a stunning addition. Wish I had to funds to get two though. 😅

240938-0

Offline geistmate

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 14:58:28 »
Just hopped in and ordered the E-White one. Looking forward to this.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 18:45:45 »

:thumb:

Offline harvishez

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 23:21:41 »
Grey ordered, can’t wait! Awesome work all - stunning board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk