Author Topic: [GB] Rukia - polycarb - round 2  (Read 904493 times)

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
[GB] Rukia - polycarb - round 2
« on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 00:46:45 »
240005-0

Well, this launched a while ago.
There are many reasons I didn't hype it up too much, or even make a GB page.
We're all going through a lot right now, and there are so many more important things than keyboards.
I didn't feel right shilling super hard when people weren't even sure if they could keep their jobs. 
So I put something out that was manageable and fun--two special versions:
my version of an "end game" dream machine,
and a themed LE Rukia for lovers of space opera.

I also made the PC version "unlimited," so people don't feel like they have to compete to get and keep a slot, possibly putting themselves in a difficult position due to FOMO.
I also kept the cost at the round 1 $390, although manufacturing cost quotes have gone up.

There are some subtle differences this time around for the PC version.

The PCB:
Made by Gondolindrim, in line with his open source Mad Hatter project, the Rukia will feature a per-key RGB USB-C PCB with underglow.
The top left 3-key cluster can also accommodate regular switches as well as rotary encoders.

Carbon fiber:
The new carbon fiber plates will still have a 3k twill weave aesthetic top layer, but the inner layers will now be unidirectional carbon fiber to program flex and improve sound while still maintaining the nice consistency carbon fiber is known for.

Weight:
No longer a shiny, mirror PVD finish, the new weight is sandblasted brass to match the available plates.

Hardware:
Hex screws, white.

Where do I buy it?
https://mintautumn.com

How do I get updates?
Here. And Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/eJrjdtg

What does $390 get me?
PC top case
PC bottom case
Sandblasted brass weight
Screws
PC plate
Per-key RGB PCB with underglow and THREE rotary encoder placement options (in the 3-key leftmost cluster).
ONE rotary encoder (you can buy more if you like)
ONE knob

How many 2u stabilizers do I need to buy from my favorite keyboard vendor?
4 if you split back space and split right shift
5 if you only split either back space or right shift
6 if you use full backspace and full right shift

What else is available for pre-order on the site right now?
Brass plates.
Carbon fiber plates.
Gift cards.

What will be available for pre-order on the site later this week?
Aluminum tops anodized in Lilac, Champagne, or Blue-Gray.

When will aluminum tops be available for pre-order on the site?
Later this week.

When will Gondolindrim's new per-key RGB USB-C PCBs with underglow, rotary encoders, and Rukia/Mint Autumn branding be available for purchase on the site?
When they're ready. I really don't mean to be rude, I just don't have an exact timeline. As soon as I know they work as intended and won't explode, I'll list them for sale.

If I already ordered a Rukia r2 kit, will I have to pay extra shipping when I buy an aluminum top or extra PCB as well?
Can they be shipped with my Rukia?
No, you won't have to pay extra shipping because yes, they can be shipped together.
When you're ready to make your order, message me on Discord at jaxxstatic#2116 or use the contact form on mintautumn.com, and I will give you a one-time use personal coupon for free shipping on those items.
That's the best way I've thought of doing it. If there's a better way, please let me know.

Will those new items deliver the same time as the Rukia r2?
Yes.

Will my Rukia parts fit in a TGR Alice?
Not with the new USB-C PCB. If you use a USB-mini PCB from TGR, Team Mechlovin', or ProjectKeyboard, the PCB/plate/switches can be dropped into either case with no problem.

Can the Rukia fit both USB-C and USB-mini PCBs?
Yes **IF** the USB is topmounted on the PCB.

Can the USB-mini Wonderland PCB fit in the Rukia case?
Yes **WITH** standoffs. Same for the TGR Alice. Maarten told me he fixed the new version of the Wonderland, so be on the lookout for that. Solid PCB.

How do I program the projectkeyboard PCB that came with my Rukia round 1?
Download the new firmware from here: https://caniusevia.com/docs/download_firmware
It uses VIA now!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!
Use QMK Toolbox to flash the new .BIN file. Download the newest version of VIA, then enjoy instantaneous keymap tweaking pleasure.

If I choose a carbon fiber or brass plate option, does it come with a PC plate too?
Yes. You can also choose a PC plate and add a cf/brass plate as an extra. It's the same thing/price.

Can you make me a full aluminum version with the same exact profile as the TGR Alice so I can use the wrist rest from Beamingrobot?
No.

The GB was supposed to end on April 17th. How long is the GB extended for?
Until May 3rd. The expected delivery date is still Q3/Q4 2020 (I'll make the order to the manu before the end of the buy-in period).

Can I get a matching aluminum bottom for the aluminum top I purchase, then buy Beamingrobot's Alice wrist rest? If I do, will the wrist rest fit perfectly?
No. No.

Are you making a Rukia wrist rest?
Yes. Working on it. But you can make your own with files available in the Discord channel. There's also a member in the Discord who's considered doing a GB run of his own for them.
I'm working on two budget points for wrist rests: beat-em-up-get-er-done & OOF!Touchitwithgloves!
Both will be robust, though. 

Offline jani80k

• In the hobby for a good time.
Re: [GB] Rukia - polycarb - round 2
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 06:02:10 »
Will the PCB support ISO?

Offline Soraie

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 08:06:28 »
I'm interested! A per key RGB PCB is pretty rare :) It might be nice for the first ergo build.

Offline TopreMoon

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 09:31:55 »
Any more chances at the LE/special editions?

Offline mmontess

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 14:32:27 »
One of the best boards I've ever owned! Get in on this if you have the chance!

EDIT: Whoops  :-[
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 September 2021, 18:29:28 by mmontess »

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 17:29:53 »
Will the PCB support ISO?
ISO requires the right side to be aligned for the Enter key and the row 2 above it. That doesn't happen on this layout.
I'm not against it, though. Just not possible.
Any more chances at the LE/special editions?
Any GB runner has to order extra for QC purposes, so there's always a chance for extras. Just a chance, though. No guarantee.

Offline TopreMoon

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 17:56:16 »
Any GB runner has to order extra for QC purposes, so there's always a chance for extras. Just a chance, though. No guarantee.

Makes sense - thanks! Some hope is better than none, lol.

I love the green - I wish it was a standard option!

Offline NOLA

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 20:34:48 »
I'm about to order, but I'm unsure of which plate to order (CF or brass). I feel like the CF would give a better typing experience (more flex) than the brass. A more dense, less ping sound?

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 23:24:42 »
To be quite honest, flex is less affected by plate type than mounting when the materials get as stiff as aluminum/carbon fiber/brass/etc.
Sound is more affected. Both feel good in Rukia, even when I smash keys, which is a surprise with brass.
My favorite combos are brass with inks and carbon fiber with Zykos (sp?).
But the new carbon fiber layup for the new plates might change everything around...

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 02:30:08 »
Aluminum tops are up on the site.
For those who purchased already, I have a coupon code for you. Please use the contact form on the site, or message me on Discord: jaxxstatic#2116.
Please pay attention to the instructions at the bottom when ordering your aluminum tops.
Contact me for shipping questions.
PCBs will be up as soon as possible.

Offline mchanneh

• trying to reset terrible typing habits!
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 07:31:09 »
GB from a user with a proven track record of delivering - must cop if you are in the market for this type of keyboard.

I'm here for it!
Kailh Box Royals | Cherry Reds | Knockoff Blues

Offline delet_d

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 13:03:10 »
What is the case angle?

Offline OBL17

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 01:33:25 »
do the aluminum tops have the same end date as the board?

Offline kevintcy

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 15:50:30 »
Do you think the PCBs will be up before GB ends, just so I can pick the lot up in one go. Cheers.

Offline andrewregal

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 21:10:40 »
Thanks for bringing this back! I remember being super disappointed when the first round filled up in seconds. Just bought my kit today and will order some extra PCBs when they go up
Discord: andrewregal#7830

Offline Mainian

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 13:17:42 »
Aluminum tops are up on the site.
For those who purchased already, I have a coupon code for you. Please use the contact form on the site, or message me on Discord: jaxxstatic#2116.
Please pay attention to the instructions at the bottom when ordering your aluminum tops.
Contact me for shipping questions.
PCBs will be up as soon as possible.

I've seen this new carbon fiber plate design on a few group buys recently, do you know anyone who has gotten to type one of these plates?

What's the purpose of the foam layer? Adding flex? Or sound dampening?

I'm really interested in the full PC, as my Think6.5 is my favorite board at the moment. I would like to try a PC plate design :O.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 April 2020, 13:23:00 by Mainian »

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 13:26:37 »
do the aluminum tops have the same end date as the board?
Yes, same end date for the aluminum tops.

Do you think the PCBs will be up before GB ends, just so I can pick the lot up in one go. Cheers.
Hopefully they'll be up separately before the GB end, but if not, I'll put something in place so you can either order it separately like normal, or add it to an existing order with no additional shipping charge.

I've seen this new carbon fiber plate design on a few group buys recently, do you know anyone who has gotten to type one of these plates?

What's the purpose of the foam layer? Adding flex? Or sound dampening?

I'm really interested in the full PC, as my Think6.5 is my favorite board at the moment. I would like to try a PC plate design :O.

1) The new carbon fiber plate design has not been used anywhere else. It's entirely new, so no one has typed on it yet.
2)There is no foam layer. No foam at all.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 13:28:54 »
What layout options does the PCB support? Judging by the plate, stepped and non-stepped Caps Lock, split and regular Backspace, split and regular LSpace, split and regular RShift. Correct?

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 14:45:15 »
What layout options does the PCB support? Judging by the plate, stepped and non-stepped Caps Lock, split and regular Backspace, split and regular LSpace, split and regular RShift. Correct?
All correct!!

« Last Edit: Fri, 24 April 2020, 19:41:30 by Jaxxstatic »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 15:21:25 »
All correct!!

Here's a pic taken from projectkeyboard's discord that helps:
(Attachment Link)

Except it's missing the adjustable caps lock that you mentioned.

Thanks!

Offline Arithmetics

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 17:37:34 »
will the pcb be white? i really dont like green pcb for polycarb

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 17:40:25 »
will the pcb be white? i really dont like green pcb for polycarb
Yes, white.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 19:39:50 »

Here's a good reference!
240801-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 April 2020, 19:42:33 by Jaxxstatic »

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 20:00:20 »
caught the build on taeha stream -- even more hype for my purchase -- but really the pcb with front facing & under rgb pcb though is a great addition  :eek:
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline XUR

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 20:35:03 »
I just placed an order for this with an add on Aluminum top in Champagne. This one was a spicy meatball but I'm hoping it will be my endgame keyboard as well (or close as possible)  :thumb:

I noticed dampening is not included in the design, is this by choice and can desirable acoustics be achieved without any?

Since the brass weight comes sandblasted this time, is it possible to polish it myself to a shine if that finish is preferred?

I ordered the brass plate and plan to get Gateron Ink Blacks per your suggestion earlier in this thread. Do you have a recommendations on stabs for this combo? Durock?

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 20:38:31 »
I just placed an order for this with an add on Aluminum top in Champagne. This one was a spicy meatball but I'm hoping it will be my endgame keyboard as well (or close as possible)  :thumb:

I noticed dampening is not included in the design, is this by choice and can desirable acoustics be achieved without any?

Since the brass weight comes sandblasted this time, is it possible to polish it myself to a shine if that finish is preferred?

I ordered the brass plate and plan to get Gateron Ink Blacks per your suggestion earlier in this thread. Do you have a recommendations on stabs for this combo? Durock?
Durock/Everglide seem to be in favour these days. You can always polish the weight. Just need to put more work into it than a prepolished one!

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 22:48:21 »
I don't want to sound supercilious (sound is a very subjective thing), but the case is designed with sound as a priority.
Many of my favorite sounding boards barely had room for shelf liner or no room for case foam, and they don't need it.
I tried to do that with Rukia. It's pretty toite in there. I wanted to take advantage of the case material as well.
I like how it sounds.
Like cijanzen said, polishing your own brass is an option. I think Minterly even did a video on it for Twitch and Youtube.
And again like cijanzen said, durocks are good for me so far, but I honestly don't like any stabilizer options at the moment.
Cherry is supposed to come out with a new design though. And Rama, I think (hope).

My stabilizer design won't be achievable until I get my own manufacturing up and running. Those will be my unbiased choice when they release, though...
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 April 2020, 22:50:16 by Jaxxstatic »

Offline Aquaficial

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 11:28:21 »
Is it just me, or is there no way to get an extra PCB anymore?

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 11:53:02 »
Is it just me, or is there no way to get an extra PCB anymore?
It hasn’t been added to the store yet. Might be added before GB closes but worst case scenario you’ll be able to purchase the PCB separately but have it shipped with your Rukia order.

Offline jbrandona119

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 21:14:07 »
Quick question as this ends tonight (and sorry if I missed the answer) but can I order the alum top after today, like with the extra PCB whenever that’s available? Or will I need to add it to my order tonight.

🙏🏾

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 21:17:05 »
Quick question as this ends tonight (and sorry if I missed the answer) but can I order the alum top after today, like with the extra PCB whenever that’s available? Or will I need to add it to my order tonight.

You have to add it tonight. Alu top ends when GB ends.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 02:28:51 »
Thank you to everyone who joined the group buy!
Round 2 is closed, but PCBs will be up soon.
I'll post here, post on Reddit, and ping in the Discord when they're available.
Just like aluminum tops, if you want it to be included with your Rukia kit, I can give you a coupon so you don't get charged additional shipping.

Offline yhs

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 07:23:43 »
Very excited to be part of round two. And now the waiting game begins.

Offline NOLA

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 07:37:55 »
Thank you to everyone who joined the group buy!
Round 2 is closed, but PCBs will be up soon.
I'll post here, post on Reddit, and ping in the Discord when they're available.
Just like aluminum tops, if you want it to be included with your Rukia kit, I can give you a coupon so you don't get charged additional shipping.
Sweet. Now I just gotta decide on a keycaps set. Since polycarb goes with anything, decisions, decisions......

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Offline crosscutgymnast

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 19:44:31 »
Kuro shiro it will be for me i think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NOLA

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 19:53:48 »
Kuro shiro it will be for me i think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pink on Navy or Deep Navy with the CF plate would be killer. I also thought GMK Bingsu would look really good.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 22:00:22 »
That lilac looked too gorgeous. I lost.

Offline IronCheeks

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 03:30:25 »
I can't wait for this board to come in. After seeing all these Alice-like keebs and slowly deep-diving into the hobby, this is like the closest I can get to the TGR Alice at a lower price that I can swallow.

Offline pnw-g

• i have a dog
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 13:23:27 »
Count me in for round 3. Missed this, heads down in work lately. Stoked to see everyone’s build. Huge fan

Offline DennyTwist

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 05:20:04 »
Count me in for round 3. Missed this, heads down in work lately. Stoked to see everyone’s build. Huge fan
Same here!

Offline sprigun

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 07:50:19 »
Same here!
Me three. Will wait for R3.  ;)

Offline bigapplepietart

• Topre Convert
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 08:58:42 »
R3 when haha?
Current:
Palmetto (Ultraglides) | Heavy Grail (Purple DES V1) | hiney tkl one PC (Orange SKCM Alps) | Lunar II (Green SKCL Alps) | Sho S60 V2 (45g stock domes) | HHKB Hybrid Type-S

Past:
Razer Blackwidow (MX Blues) | FC660M (MX Blues) | GH60 (Ergo Clears) | 8x mkI (Vintage Blacks) | Klippe (Sakurios) | Equinox (Sakurios) | MGA (Silent Alpacas) | Kei (Creamsicles) | KFE CE (Alpacas) | Rukia R1 (Durock L7) | H60 (Silent Blacks) | E80-1800 (MX Blacks) | Ottantaquattro (Vintage Blacks) | hbcp (Vintage Blacks) | HHKB Pro 2 Stock (45g Topre) | ADK64 (Blue SKCM Alps)

Offline Arithmetics

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 16:57:51 »
any word on pcb extra or poly carb wristrest?

Offline Madrai

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 23:31:56 »
R3 when haha?

Yeah same - Missed this by a few days sadly. Would definitely go for R3 if there's a chance of that in the future. :)

Offline radsan

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 10:15:46 »
Round three will be made with UHMWPE according to Jax. There will probably be extras though from round two after shipping is done.

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 10:20:52 »
I also made the PC version "unlimited," so people don't feel like they have to compete to get and keep a slot, possibly putting themselves in a difficult position due to FOMO.
I also kept the cost at the round 1 $390, although manufacturing cost quotes have gone up.
Well I guess this round wasn't unlimited? Because it seems I indeed missed it out.

Offline chits

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 10:36:22 »
Well I guess this round wasn't unlimited? Because it seems I indeed missed it out.
unlimited units not unlimited time big dog

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 11:00:16 »
This certainly makes sense. Dunno why I read "unlimited" as "in stock". My bad.

Offline Arithmetics

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 18:39:44 »
This certainly makes sense. Dunno why I read "unlimited" as "in stock". My bad.

unlimited FOMO!

Offline xef

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 22:13:41 »
So mad at myself for missing this