Author Topic: [GB] [RESTOCK] MAJA R2  (Read 84845 times)

Offline Vulcan

[GB] [RESTOCK] MAJA R2
« on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 23:37:18 »

The Maja
MAJA is an ergo layout keyboard design by Vulcan and KBDfans. Maja is named after Majapahit, a great empire that once rules southeast Asia. The glorious emblem of Majapahit called the Surya of Majapahit is beautifully engraved on the brass weight.

How it's Made
The Maja is made with a highly precision CNC machine from a block of high-quality aluminum and a block of brass for the weight, it is then sandblasted and anodized to give a textured smooth finish to the surface with the desired color offered.

The Maja also comes with a polycarbonate version of the case. Polycarbonate is known for a very strong and durable material.

The Features
Maja features an ergonomic layout with an 8-degree keyboard angle to give a more comfortable typing experience. The top-mounted case system combined with a brass material as the plate will give you a rigged, firm, and consistent acoustic sound when typing.

The PCB
To provide the best end-user experience available The Maja offers a soldered version of PCB with layout option and a hot-swap PCB with a full per-key RGB light with no switch soldering require to assemble the keyboard.

The Layout

Specification
Case:
1. Aluminum Top Case (Sandblast, Anodized) / polycarbonate as Option
2. Aluminum Bottom Case (Sandblast, Anodized) / polycarbonate as Option
3. Brass Plate (Sandblasted)
4. Brass Weight (Sandblasted)
5. Foam between PCB & Plate
6. Foam between Bottom case & PCB

PCB :
1. Soldered/RGB Hotswap PCB
2. QMK
3. USB type C supporting C to C
4. Ergonomic Layout

Video

Timeline

Group buy will run from 25th June until 15th July

Estimate Shiping

The estimated shipping date will be confirmed after the GB ends. We need to know how many confirm keyboards order to estimate the lead time. but very rough estimation is from3-6 month.

Follow Me to see my other keyboard project
Instagram

Maja Group Buy
KBDFans

MAJA PLATE FILE

Download :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bszPgwb22m1eIxm8pyquWmzJJRVLDtDQ/view?usp=sharing

Note:

There is a countersunk at the selected hole below. You will need the countersunk for a Hotswap PCB to hold the PCB and plate together. if you use soldered version PCB you can ignore the hole.

« Last Edit: Wed, 07 April 2021, 06:41:19 by Vulcan »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: [GB] Maja Ergo
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 09:43:11 »
Approved :thumb:

Offline prognostics

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 07:03:47 »
I think the IC thread is still getting more attention than this one but I want to bump this up!!  :thumb:
I ordered the forest green, the big selling point for me wast the Alice layout with arrow keys. I don't know how people function without the arrow keys, I want not a fan of having them in a second layer on previous keybs

Offline musicgecko

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 10:39:16 »
was gonna wait for a rukia, but jumped on this PC version for the arrow cluster

Offline w0nkey

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 15:15:11 »
I'm considering to buy one, but I can't really project myself, could you provide us with a PC top/bottom view with or without brass pcb ?

Would love to see that besides the green and blue ones already out !

Offline synchromatik

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 02:31:03 »
I'm considering to buy one, but I can't really project myself, could you provide us with a PC top/bottom view with or without brass pcb ?

also interested in this, also how does rgb affect pc version visualy.

Offline Missingnumber

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 11:15:49 »
It's unfortunate that the solder version of the PCB doesn't have RGB, but I like my 2.25u space bar too much to go hot swap.

I think the forest green version will look great with GMK Copper.

Offline ViciousVerbivore

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 06:12:40 »
I'm really glad Vulcan and KBDfans managed to make this an unlimited GB. I ordered a black version with additional plate and PCB, and will be looking forward to receiving this in a few months' time. However, I'm also curious, like some others in the IC thread, to know if the plate files will be made available after the GB? Also, any plans to disclose sales numbers either during or after the GB window? 

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 07:20:22 »
I'm really glad Vulcan and KBDfans managed to make this an unlimited GB. I ordered a black version with additional plate and PCB, and will be looking forward to receiving this in a few months' time. However, I'm also curious, like some others in the IC thread, to know if the plate files will be made available after the GB? Also, any plans to disclose sales numbers either during or after the GB window?

Hi!, yes the plate file will be release and opensource.

Offline egstad

• EGSTAD.COM
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 14:20:07 »

+1

Offline domoshi

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 23:17:22 »
How does the rgb look through the polycarb?

Offline Kavik

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 23:28:47 »
I put my order in a few days ago. Excited this is finally happening.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline leexy

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 01:16:27 »
any prototype pc case available?

Offline thornkin

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 02:16:52 »
Is there any sense when the GB will start shipping? How many months?

Offline TibtibThePrincess

• Look but don't buy
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 03:51:02 »
Is there a sound test of this board? I would like to know how it sounds before buying it

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline Kavik

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 10:29:05 »
Is there any sense when the GB will start shipping? How many months?

GB estimates are always way off. Just assume one year+ to avoid any disappointment.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline egstad

• EGSTAD.COM
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 11:41:39 »
Just ordered the PC version. Would've been nice to see a prototype—or at least a few additional renders—but this board is too great to not roll the dice. Great work, Vulcan! I'm looking forward to receiving my Maja!

Offline Grebnedlog

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 13:53:21 »

Hi!, yes the plate file will be release and opensource.

Any idea how soon after the GB that the plate file will be released?

Offline synchromatik

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 17:27:54 »
Just ordered the PC version. Would've been nice to see a prototype—or at least a few additional renders—but this board is too great to not roll the dice. Great work, Vulcan! I'm looking forward to receiving my Maja!

Because of the lack of communication/info on the PC version from OP's side, the dice was not rolled (300$ dice) on my side. Additionally, its made by KBDFans which is known for crappy QA, or god forbids there is a problem with the unit, it would be hell to get the replacement. Even the ALU protos are featured in two videos with a total of 12 secs. Yikes. GL to everyone who did roll the dice.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 21:01:26 »

Because of the lack of communication/info on the PC version from OP's side, the dice was not rolled (300$ dice) on my side. Additionally, its made by KBDFans which is known for crappy QA, or god forbids there is a problem with the unit, it would be hell to get the replacement. Even the ALU protos are featured in two videos with a total of 12 secs. Yikes. GL to everyone who did roll the dice.
Hilariously enough, the PC version is probably the only version I would get BECAUSE of all the things you said. Knowing KBDFans's colormatching history, I think the PC is the one that is going be predictable in looks

Offline Missingnumber

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 22:52:25 »

Hilariously enough, the PC version is probably the only version I would get BECAUSE of all the things you said. Knowing KBDFans's colormatching history, I think the PC is the one that is going be predictable in looks

I have a couple aluminum cases from KBDFans, and there haven't been any problems. One is purple, and it matches their render perfectly. What issues have you heard of?

That being said, I have had two of their PCBs die on me due to static. KBDFans replaced them for me, and that gives me more confidence for this group buy. I think the Maja PCBs are supposed to have ESD protection, but I ordered a spare PCB just in case.

Offline leexy

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 23:14:28 »
while kbdfans are a decent vendor, the radio silence and lack of communication from the designer is concerning. quite rare to see designers ghosting even before a groupbuy ends.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 08:30:42 »

I have a couple aluminum cases from KBDFans, and there haven't been any problems. One is purple, and it matches their render perfectly. What issues have you heard of?

That being said, I have had two of their PCBs die on me due to static. KBDFans replaced them for me, and that gives me more confidence for this group buy. I think the Maja PCBs are supposed to have ESD protection, but I ordered a spare PCB just in case.
The Polaris yellows were orange and the burgundy/red ended up being razzle dazzle cherry red

Offline Missingnumber

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 12:06:52 »

The Polaris yellows were orange and the burgundy/red ended up being razzle dazzle cherry red

Yikes.  Looks like they have had a lot of problems with e-white (Fusion60) for the and e-yellow (Polaris), now that I look into it. Could be why only normal anodized boards are being offered here.

I'm still pretty hopeful about the green Maja I ordered.

Offline Missingnumber

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 09:22:42 »
I just saw that the ship date is expected to be September 30th. That is sooner than I expected! I know they're (supposedly) not the same level of quality, but why does Rama take over a year if this is possible. My keycaps won't be ready in time,  but that's better than the reverse.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 10:34:39 »
I just saw that the ship date is expected to be September 30th. That is sooner than I expected! I know they're (supposedly) not the same level of quality, but why does Rama take over a year if this is possible. My keycaps won't be ready in time,  but that's better than the reverse.

KBDFans is bigger than Rama.

Plus, KBDFans has had lots of QC issues whereas Rama does a really good job.

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 06:38:13 »

we started production before GB began

Offline its_just_Joe

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 14:46:11 »
I'm in for a PC, very excited!  Was curious if you have any shots of the PC version, and was curious how much the per-key rgb bleeds to the edges on the PC case.

Offline iTowils

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 16:39:18 »
Is there somewhere we can go to see updates on the GB progress? Thanks!

Offline Coneree

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 16:59:52 »
I'm in for a PC, very excited!  Was curious if you have any shots of the PC version, and was curious how much the per-key rgb bleeds to the edges on the PC case.

I also grabbed a PC - hoping to see some production pics
Current Rotation:
Space65 v2 | Maja Ergo | SC Alice | NK65 Purple | ID80 | Massdrop Alt HP

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 12:03:06 »
Hi, I hope everybody is doing well,

I got some photo of maja in production from kbdfans. they said the production is going well so far.

And here is another

I will do a typing video as soon as I got all my equipment ready

Offline h40

• h40.io
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 12:11:52 »
HNNNGGGGGGGGG so stoked. Crossing my fingers that the video will be with a green build, looks so good!

Offline prognostics

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 13:05:00 »
Hi, I hope everybody is doing well,

I got some photo of maja in production from kbdfans. they said the production is going well so far.

Show Image

Show Image

And here is another

Show Image

I will do a typing video as soon as I got all my equipment ready

I didn't see the wrist rest when the GB was happening - is there going to be extras or another opportunity to order one?

Offline inkz999

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 02:47:10 »
Finnaly some production pics, looks really nice.
 How are your impressions and typing experience overall on sample piece?

Offline ryanrox

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 14:30:12 »
These look awesome. Are there any plans to sell extras? Or do another run? I missed out on these and am really regretting it.

Offline Bunny_Hops

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 17:18:05 »
I’m so happy I bought one, and glad to see how good the look in person. Can’t wait for mine to ship out.

Offline Aunk

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 16:31:28 »
Cool to see progress. Glad I got in on this, but I wish I had bought a soldered pcb instead

Offline dowomingo

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 19:30:11 »
Hoping plate files can be released so I can experiment with other materials. Excited to get my Maja in the coming months!

Offline airyimbin

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 19:53:41 »
What's the ETA on shipping?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline CGreat

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 22:09:52 »
What's the ETA on shipping?

Product page has been updated to November

Offline airyimbin

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 12:20:00 »
That's a bummer, really want this board

Offline h40

• h40.io
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 12:29:56 »

Frankly if it does deliver November that's a pretty short time frame for such a large GB.

Offline airyimbin

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 12:32:56 »

Frankly if it does deliver November that's a pretty short time frame for such a large GB.
True, I often forget how long these take. I just got excited after seeing the photos.

Offline Eoen

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 12:54:41 »

Vulcan mentioned that they started production prior to the start of the GB so they got ahead of it a bit.

Offline KeyTwoOne

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 22 September 2020, 19:21:48 »
Any photos of the polycarbonate version? Any build videos coming up? And update on the production?

Offline Sud.

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 25 September 2020, 16:11:38 »
Will there be a second round for this keyboard? This is literally the board of my dreams and I missed the group buy :/

Offline sneekypoo

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 25 September 2020, 16:30:35 »
Will there be a second round for this keyboard? This is literally the board of my dreams and I missed the group buy :/

Same :( I actually considered it but didn't want to drop however much it was during GB since I had never tried the layout...

But now after trying it I can't go back... lets hope aftermarket prices aren't too crazy.

Offline dtywill

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 25 September 2020, 17:02:09 »

I hope so too this is the board I have been looking for and totally missed the gb

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 26 September 2020, 14:24:10 »
Hi Everyone,

I got updates from KBDfans:

1. 80% of the top and bottom case is finish and already packed.
2. The factory now is working on the plate and weight.
3. Polycarbonate case is still in progress.
4. Looks like we are still on track for delivery on November.

I got a lot of request on R2. For now we are focusing  getting R1 right.  Maja round 2 is not in plan yet. But it depends, if there's plenty demand we might consider. 
we did make some extras, but the extras is for backups in case there are some case that didnt pas QC. so we cant say how many extras will be left for purchase.

I also would like to apologies for the delay on type test.  During this pandemic I have to work extra hours and have so little time to spare, what switch do you guys want me to do a type test with?

Please fill this form to vote :
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfwJCX53rQk4s5VhIFbn4VtUhzACOvjsRFXNfj_VyEGV531PQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

I hope you guys are doing well, please stay healthy and stay safe. Thank you for your patient guys..

Offline egstad

• EGSTAD.COM
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 26 September 2020, 17:02:54 »
Thanks for the update - Exciting!!! Polycarbonate case is looking great!