Author Topic: [GB] Lumberjack PCB - Extras Available  (Read 43221 times)

Offline peej

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay
[GB] Lumberjack PCB - Extras Available
« on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 03:18:46 »

Group Buy Closed

Thanks to everyone for the huge support.

We've had to close the GB a week early due to the huge support we've had. I felt it was better to limit the number now rather than suffer with being able to deliver later. I hope everyone understands.

Through-hole 5x12 ortholinear PCB for 60% tray mount case

* Ortholinear PCB for 60% tray mount cases
* Designed to be easy to build with minimal soldering experience.
* All through-hole components, no SMD soldering required.
* Get that visible component aesthetic in a standard 60% tray-mount case.
* 5x12 (split Preonic) layout, full grid or 2x2u spacebars
* Supports both USB Mini and USB-C.
* Plateless or with FR4 switch plates.
* $22USD / €18EUR + shipping

I love my Planck's layout but just sometimes wish I had a numrow...
...and I love my Plaid's through-hole aesthetic but just sometimes wish it had a more premium feel...
...and I love my Let's Split's more comfortable ergonomics but just sometimes I find the having separate halves inconvenient.

And so the Lumberjack PCB was born. Through-hole visible component aesthetic, DIY build it yourself fun, standard 60% case support, split ortholinear layout.

More info: https://github.com/peej/lumberjack-keyboard
Geekhack IC thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110835.0

Group Buy details:

* Group Buy open until 28th March
* Paypal invoices will be sent after that date for non-NA orders
* Kit production time expected to take 8 weeks after all invoices are paid
* USB-C connector and FR4 plates are an optional extra
* Microcontroller will be pre-flashed by myself with a bootloader and QMK firmware
* Kits will be shipped via PostNL from The Netherlands or from ThocKeys in Massachusetts
* Delivery times are expected to be long due to Covid, I'm expecting to have kits complete and ready for shipping in June
* Weekly updates on progress in the Geekhack GB thread
* Detailed build guide will be updated with images once I've built a test PCB from the production run: https://github.com/peej/lumberjack-keyboard/blob/master/guide.md

Thanks for your support!
Any questions, drop 'em below.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 June 2021, 11:02:19 by peej »

Offline ravermeister

Do you get both connectors, if you decide to upgrade to type c?

Offline peej

Do you get both connectors, if you decide to upgrade to type c?

Yes, the kit will come with the mini USB connector even if you choose the USB-C add-on. The PCB supports both.

TBH I soldered my first USB-C in testing for this project and it wasn't anywhere near as difficult as I'd expected.

Offline anatworkaccount

I am not a smart man, will this work with any 60% tray mount case, like the bumper for example?

Offline peej

I am not a smart man, will this work with any 60% tray mount case, like the bumper for example?

It is designed to the same specs as the GH60, so it should fit any tray mount 60% case. Something to be aware of however i that it will only use 3 of the 6 mounting posts due to the switch positions which may or may not be an issue.

With a 4 mounting post case like the Bumper, you could find that without the middle post or supports around the edge of the case, the PCB wants to pivot downwards at the front. The PCB has only been tested in 6 post cases. You could of course fill the case with foam to add support to the PCB.

Offline ee

• hi
ok this is epic

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
This looks great. GLWGB!

Vixen

Offline chalcocabana

• That's one bad bird.
    • Twitch
Looks awesome. Bought or whatever the word is
I don't know zip and I'll die a fool.

Offline Joaquox

I'm just trying to mentally figure out how I'm going to adapt the Prophet ortho grid plate to this.. It shouldn't be that hard, right?

EDIT: I got it! I'll just have it cut from transparent PET and remove the holes in the middle. I'm in!
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 March 2021, 02:50:46 by Joaquox »

Offline DeMechanica

This is siiiiick! I’m so in. I’m going to have such a whacky collection.

Offline Baka Bot

So ****ing lit

Offline GEIST

• schwarzgrau
Damn! That's an impertinent fair price!

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
Mate, the FR4 plate option does not relate to the switch plate, but rather the bottom right? So if I'm getting a case I wouldn't need it.

Offline patcoll

• !40s
I’m in

Offline NoAh_1228

Does the PCB support VIA or only QMK?

Offline peej

Mate, the FR4 plate option does not relate to the switch plate, but rather the bottom right? So if I'm getting a case I wouldn't need it.

Sorry I should have made it clearer. The FR4 plate is a switch plate not a case bottom. If you don't want a plateless board and want a cheap option for a switch plate, this is for you.

Offline peej

Does the PCB support VIA or only QMK?

The PCB will come with a default QMK keymap but there will hopefully be a VIA keymap and support within VIA. I'm not a VIA user myself so there is some learning I must do to make this happen.

Offline qeebored

Nice. I'm in.  :thumb:

Have you considered to add soldering pads for hot-swap sockets, or holes for alps switches?

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!

Sorry I should have made it clearer. The FR4 plate is a switch plate not a case bottom. If you don't want a plateless board and want a cheap option for a switch plate, this is for you.
TYVM

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline horrorshow93

Sigh, GB is closed in US. I hope I can make it into a R2!

Congratulations!

Offline peej

I'm sorry to those who haven't joined yet, but we're closing the GB early due to overwhelming support. I need to ensure that I can deliver these kits in a sensible timeframe, it's just me bagging up components after all.

Thanks to everyone who's decided to join us for the ride!

You can keep up to date on GB progress here in this thread.

Non US/Canada people can expect Paypal invoices to appear in your inboxes soonish (look at that we're already ahead of schedule).

Offline DerBonk

• I'm just this guy, you know.

Congrats on the successful GB! I hope people aren't getting mean because you had to close the GB early.

The PCB will come with a default QMK keymap but there will hopefully be a VIA keymap and support within VIA. I'm not a VIA user myself so there is some learning I must do to make this happen.

I ported the Sofle to VIA last year, so I have some experience. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions about porting the Lumberjack to VIA.

Offline Deviculus

Re: [GB] Lumberjack PCB - GB CLOSED
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 09:44:33 »
I'm so glad I didn't decide to wait a few days before joining. For the others that didn't get to make it, and those that wanna make another one in the future, I hope there'll be a round two if you feel up for it. Good luck with packing all of the orders, and congrats on the successful GB!

Offline chalcocabana

• That's one bad bird.
    • Twitch
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 09:58:10 »
gz on the gb!
I don't know zip and I'll die a fool.

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 10:22:08 »
Nooooo! I could not buy it! Fk!

Was deciding on the colors, didn't know there was a limited stock

Offline peej

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 11:05:43 »
Nooooo! I could not buy it! Fk!

Was deciding on the colors, didn't know there was a limited stock

I'm really sorry. There wasn't a plan to have a limit, but in hindsight I probably should have. I was hoping to reach somewhere near 100 kits, but we reached 150 in 3 days and I don't want to jeopardise the GB by over committing.

The design is open source and I expect there might be vendors in the future who might want to stock this kit since it's basically the same components as a Plaid or Romeo.

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 11:47:01 »

Wish it were that simple, I live in South America, so obtaining even the components is challenging.

Guess I'll have to wait for a round 2

Love your design and congrats on the successful GB!

Offline guill3m

• Shut up and take my money
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 14:11:56 »
Damn, I blinked and missed it.
Congrats on a successful GB then!

I will keep an eye in case any vendors stock the kit or you run a second round in the future.

Offline delvix

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 14:28:28 »
Ah damn I missed it as well. Was really looking forward to putting one together, hopefully round 2 comes along soon! Congrats on a successful GB

Offline Shortened

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 14:34:45 »
Unfortunately missed out on this round, hopefully you're able to get a round 2 going.

Congratulations on a successful group buy!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline whirlwind

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 14:43:40 »
Congrats on the GB, so glad this was successful!

Offline bdju

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 21:28:18 »
Heard about this too late. Would have loved to replace an old Pok3r PCB with it. Hoping for R2.
libre lad

Offline Funktion

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 22:27:04 »
Missed it... Damn

Offline peej

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 03:28:32 »
Hi all, a quick update from yesterday.

Unfortunately we had to close the GB early due to the sudden amount of orders. I know this is not great for people who missed out and I sincerely apologise, it's not great being told you have 2 weeks only to find out that you missed the boat.

We originally decided that if we could reach an MOQ of 100 kits this would be the sweet spot between price and actually being able to fulfil the orders in a sensible timeframe. The IC showed that we were about 60/40 split between the US to ROW. When Tim @ ThocKeys messaged yesterday to say he was at 70 orders and ROW was already at 45, we decided to see how fast the next 10 orders came in and see if things were slowing down. They didn't. So we had to make a quick decision or risk jeopardising the whole GB.

In hindsight, we could probably have predicted this and handled it better. Mark that down as a lesson learnt.

After counting up, we have 150 kits ordered (82 US / 68 ROW).

I'd like to thank everyone for their support.

Offline Nutty

• Twitch
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 16:46:38 »
Is there any plan reopen at a later date or another run? I was planning to purchase but I see I was too late due to the early closure of the GB  :(

Offline YoungTerror

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 19:02:40 »
Is there any plan reopen at a later date or another run? I was planning to purchase but I see I was too late due to the early closure of the GB  :(

+1. I'm hoping for another run in the future.

Offline thirstforburst

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 20:01:28 »

+1. I'm hoping for another run in the future.

seconded  :thumb:

Offline DerBonk

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 04:27:42 »
I ordered two, which seems unfair to me in hindsight, when clearly there are a lot of people who could not get a kit. I'd be willing to sell one of the kits to someone else at cost. So, if you are in the EU and don't mind paying for shipping from me to you after I have received the kits, send me a pm. I would prefer to ship within Germany, but if no one from Germany is interested, I can ship to elsewhere in the EU.

Edit: The spare kit has been claimed.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 March 2021, 13:27:50 by DerBonk »

Offline GEIST

• schwarzgrau
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 09:40:18 »
That's a really nice move! I would love to buy it from you.

Offline DerBonk

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 10:49:17 »
That's a really nice move! I would love to buy it from you.

Sure! I have sent you a pm.

Offline peej

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 13:15:16 »
Sunday feels like a good day of the week for updates.

Non-ThocKeys orders have all been sent PayPal invoices this weekend, thanks to everyone who has already paid.

I've been playing with Via and am pleased to say I'm a convert, so the MCU will come with a Via enabled firmware.

Lots of people have been asking about if we'll reopen for more orders or about an R2 already due to the limitations on numbers. We won't be accepting more orders for this round, sorry, but there will probably be some extras once everything is shipped and I do want to encourage vendors of through-hole kits to stock the PCB.

Oh and big props to DerBonk for offering to pass on his 2nd kit to someone else.

Thanks again for all the support.

Offline Deviculus

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 13:42:23 »
Any ideas for cases and keycap sets that might help accentuate the pcb window? So far I'm considering the MT3 susuwatari paired with a black tofu, or possibly the blue and white MT3 set paired with the ultramarine klippe.

Offline peej

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 04:12:53 »
Any ideas for cases and keycap sets that might help accentuate the pcb window? So far I'm considering the MT3 susuwatari paired with a black tofu, or possibly the blue and white MT3 set paired with the ultramarine klippe.

I love my Tofu, it's a great case for a great price. Paired with Susuwatari sounds like a good combination.

Personally I'm hoping to get a Klippe T in the upcoming Mekanisk preorder, not decided on a colour yet.

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 11:52:29 »
I bought a wooden tray. Because Lumberjack!
It's really nice looking too, so I can't wait to get my hands on the board.
A-a-ron

Offline peej

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 06:34:40 »
Weekly update, it's been a busy one.

• Orders and monies have been received from ThocKeys.
  • Most PayPal invoices have been paid, thanks everyone. I will start chasing the last few next week.
  • Coloured PCBs did less favourably than I'd expected, so if you've ordered a red or blue you can feel special in that there will only be 20 of each from this GB.
  • I placed orders for components and PCBs on Friday.
  • PCBs are in manufacturing, that was one big scary order. Hats off to the JLCPCB support for double checking the orders with me before okaying for production.
  • MCUs and USB-C connectors are in transit from DigiKey, hopefully I can get started on flashing the MCUs as soon as they arrive.
  • I tested the flashing process again on a spare blank MCU I have, everything works with the flash and the production bootloader image including the VIA enabled QMK firmware.
  • Pull request for adding the board to QMK is approved but awaiting merging https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/pull/12124

Have a great week everyone.

Offline tiramichu

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 12:20:55 »
I tested the flashing process again on a spare blank MCU I have, everything works with the flash and the production bootloader image including the VIA enabled QMK firmware.
Thanks for the update, personally I really appreciate the VIA support =)

Offline peej

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 03:39:34 »
Weekly update for April 4th.

* MCUs arrived, I wanted to get to flashing them straight away as I thought it would take a long time, but I managed to power through it this week, so all 200 MCUs are flash and ready.
* Diodes also arrived, they are sorted and split up for packing. Decided to give each kit an extra 2 diodes "just in case".
* USB-C connectors arrived from DigiKey, unfortunately they didn't ship enough, the bag labelled 200 only had 152 in it. A quick call to them and the remaining are in the mail.
* Other components are still on route, they'll get sorted as and when they arrive.
* PCBs have been manufactured and are in the mail, should be with me on Tuesday. I'm hoping to build up a test board this week.
* QMK and VIA PRs got merged this weekend, so the software side is all set.

Offline DerBonk

Re: [GB] Lumberjack PCB - In Production
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 13:36:25 »
Fantastic work. Thanks a bunch for updating the thread.

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 18:47:33 »
Indeed, very much appreciated.
A-a-ron

Offline NihonCK

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 00:52:09 »
Anywhere I can subscribe for possible r2 or left over stock about this PCB? I don't always check this forum and really am interested in picking up a PCB sometime.