Author Topic: [GB] Series 00 | 09/17/2021: Shipping to all 4 vendors!  (Read 20239 times)

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
[GB] Series 00 | 09/17/2021: Shipping to all 4 vendors!
« on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 13:55:31 »

SERIES 00

A machined metal artisan - available in aluminum, stainless steel, and brass.

Hello everyone.

It’s loop, Cubic, and Isshin of esc lab.

We are infinitely excited to announce our worldwide GB for Series 00. Starting now.

Available in United States, Canada, Europe, United Kingdom, Australia, and Asia.

This group buy was a culmination of almost six months of work -- five rounds of prototyping, two ICs (we don't talk about the first one  :thumb: ), a dozen prototypes sent to reviewers for feedback, 2,000+ IC survey responses, and just lots of fun hard work.

This is a dream come true for us three friends. Thank you for making this a dream come true for us.

0. CONTENTS

⠀1. VENDORS
⠀2. ALLOYS
⠀3. PACKAGING
⠀4. DETAILS
⠀5. REVIEWS
⠀6. GALLERY
⠀6. TIMELINE
⠀7. OUR COMMUNITY
8. THANK YOU
9. SIGNATURE

1. VENDORS
Series 00 will be an unlimited GB hosted by the following vendors.

USA - Mechs & Co
Canada - Desk Hero
Europe & UK - CandyKeys
Oceania, Asia, and others - zFrontier

* USA and CA pricing does not include local taxes. EU pricing has VAT included.

Foundry Edition is a discounted bundle of all five Series 00 + a lil sum sum.

Quattro Edition is a discounted four-pack of a specific Series 00. Available for all five launch editions.

2. ALLOYS

Series 00 will launch in aluminum, stainless steel, and brass.

Hand Polished Brass

Coated with UV varnish to protect its luster and to prevent patina.

Hand Polished Stainless Steel

Sandblast Brass

Coated with UV varnish to protect its luster and to prevent patina.

Sandblast Clear Aluminum

Sandblast Black Aluminum

Specifications

Name                       Color        Weight         Finish     Coating     
Hand Polished BrassGold14.30 gHand polishUV Varnish
Hand Polished Stainless SteelSilver14.10 gHand polishNone
Sandblast BrassGold14.30 gSandblastUV Varnish
Sandblast AluminumSilver4.60 gSandblastAnodization
Sandblast AluminumBlack4.60 gSandblastAnodization

3. PACKAGING

Each Series 00 comes individually packaged. An included microfiber cloth will help keep your Series 00 looking spotless over time.

The Foundry Edition bundle comes with a little something extra ;) .

More

4. DETAILS

Series 00 is a familiar R1 Cherry-like profile. It looks sharp, but does not feel sharp.

Each Series 00 has the identification info, AKA Series ID, engraved into the base.
Each keycap is sequentially numbered starting at #00. Will you be lucky enough to get #01, #69, or #420?

Metal artisans fit differently on different switches due to switch stem manufacturing tolerances.
We have tested Series 00 on all the most popular switch families to ensure a good fit and logged the results of each switch.

Each polished Series 00 is individually hand-polished.

5. REVIEWS
We have shipped all five Series 00 off to reviewers so you can get an outside opinion of our artisan. Their feedback was used to improve the product!

dededecline
ExistentiallyYours
Eura

TESTIMONIES

Don't want to watch videos? Here are some written reviews.

"The Series 00 keycaps are unapologetically industrial in design. Sculpted like monoliths, free of curves or subtlety, these caps manage to strike a surprising balance between standing out among your other keycaps and avoiding the uncanny valley of being slightly different than traditional Cherry sculpt. There really is something for everyone. If you are adverse to a heavily-weighted cap, the aluminum is good for you. If you love seeing your reflection in your cap, the polished caps shine bright, though you probably don't want to use them too much. The sandblasted caps, my personal favorites, have a nice, consistent texture. My personal favorite is the sandblasted brass, it has a great feel to it and I love the heavy thock of slamming it down on the board."

- dededecline on Foundry Edition review units

"The series 00 comes in this robust case and I love just how solid it feels when opening and closing it. I think it's a really nice touch and goes well with the whole metallic theme. The actual keycaps themselves are machined really well, I think that the different finishes are dope and I've been using them as fidget toys just because of how satisfying they feel in the hands. The glosy ones are kinda fingerprint magnets so I tend to use them for photoshoots and rarely for my actual builds. Some of the keycaps are a little too heavy for my linears so they do make a bit of a weird sound, I recommend using these keycaps on tactiles or heavy linears. The overall design and shape of the keycaps feel clean and sharp, giving it a really unique outline which definitely makes it a lot more appealing. I'm really glad that they've chosen to go with this minimalistic approach as it adds a little more spice without being obnoxious or too loud. Overall, really happy with them!"

- Hamaji Neo on Foundry Edition

"Like a king’s crown Jewel, the esclab series 00 accents and augments any keyboard you place it on, in a manner seldom keycaps achieve. A truly unique and minimal design brings a breath of fresh air to an otherwise dull and repetitive market. Exquisite mirror finish and refined silhouette blends with any keycap set you match it with, like a chameleon, adapting and shifting, taking its surroundings and making it its own; yet, when shined upon, beacons like the light of a lighthouse when lost at sea, captivating the gaze and demanding attention." (this is a real review lmfao)

- fr0nk on Polished Stainless Steel

"Hmm how can these even be summed in a few sentences. The black is darker than a goth girl’s soul, with both aluminum caps having a great sound profile, not far from a standard cap and keeping a consistent feel, my personal favorite. The polished finishes are excellent on the brass and SS, both offering a nice reflective surface, but being so well polished does show fingerprint oils easily too. All in, 10/10 would praise the monolith again."

- Patrick from Mechs & Co on Foundry Edition

"Beautiful keycap! I have a prototype unit in Polished Brass. Sounds nice and deep, the way most metal artisan keycaps do. The weight is nice and substantial, and the finish is amazing. The UV Varnish really does a good job of protecting the cap from tarnish, and even though I've been a bit rough with it, it looks as good as it did the day I got it. Personally, I like the shape - it deviates from standard profiles just enough to give the board some flair, while maintaining a minimal aesthetic."

- Jeff on Polished Brass

"Feel - tailored keycaps to create the optimal feel for a metal switch. Sound -  deep thocky sound that's a characteristic loved by people who've had their chance with metal keycaps. Finish -  took a lot of work to wipe all the dust off the stainless steel, it was so shiny. In general, great metal keycaps that are a treat on the keyboard to both use and look at"

- Stick on Foundry Edition

6. GALLERY

Series 00 would not be the same without our friends in the community. We want to show you how others have used their Series 00.

Foundry Edition on Black Anodized Praxis

Photograph by dededecline

The Stormtrooper - Black Ano Aluminum on Milk M65-B + GMK Bleached

Photograph by ExistentiallyYours

Polished Stainless Steel on HHKB

Photograph by fr0nk

Foundry Edition on Rama M6-C

Photograph by Stick

6. TIMELINE

This is the timeline for Series 00 based on our manufacturing and logistics estimates.
As with all IC and GBs, there may be obstacles and delays; it's best to just assume there will be. We will do our best to both hit the estimates and be transparent with you all if there are delays. We will keep you informed with updates on our Discord and Research Facility.

7. OUR COMMUNITY
Discord

Instagram

Website

Newsletter

8. THANK YOU
Without your support, this would not have been possible.
  • The incredible esc lab community.
  • esc lab Insiders (in no particular order) - Lumis (our mod #1), heavygrips (our mod #2 + mom), mfwit (always giving me photography advice + nerding out on gear), EpicN, fr0nk (film fr0nk), Jeff, kumori, halo, pupper, sentarius (finally won something), Ravioli, Stick (Australia liaison), brandontan, and Sarazan97.
  • Patrick, Mike, Chris, and more // Mechs & Co.
  • Jerrold // Desk Hero
  • David // CandyKeys
  • Alex // zFrontier
  • Swishy, Frosty, bobas, Nathan, Rayhhdailo, and more // Keycap Designers Discord
  • Our reviewers dededecline, ExistentiallyYours, apiary, Tae Keyboards, Hamaji, Patrick, Stick, Jeff, fr0nk, Lydia, BuenoBuilds, and more.
  • Our S/Os for listening to us ramble about esc lab everyday.
And to you reading this - thank you for helping us turn this dream into reality.

CONSIDER SERIES 00

USA - Mechs & Co
Canada - Desk Hero
Europe & UK - CandyKeys
Oceania, Asia, and others - zFrontier

Series 00 Geekhack IC2

SIGNATURE
Rep your favorite Series 00. Click the "more" button to see the full selection of signatures.

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111283.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/7J1pmbB.jpg[/img][/url]

More

[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111283.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/9HL5Az4.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111283.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/3vYQbWw.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=hhttps://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111283.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/i5KraWq.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111283.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/YdMTqGC.jpg[/img][/url]

Designed with 爱 in HK + USA by Cubic, Isshin, and loop.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 September 2021, 15:31:25 by loop | esc lab »

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
Re: [GB] Series 00. Now available worldwide.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 13:55:53 »

RENDERS

Series 00 would not be the same without our friends in the community. We want to use this opportunity to showcase the best of what the community offers.

ROTR Macro Pad by Polarity Works

Rendered by Isshin

More

P.03 by Protozoa Studio

Rendered by Spicychickenrenders (Sailer)

More

BOX75 by Lin Design Studio

Rendered by dks

F1-8X by Geonworks

Rendered by Isshin

More

Mode 80 by Mode Keyboards

Rendered by Isshin

More

IRON165 by Smith + Rune

Rendered by Isshin

More

Abstraction by loop

More

Typography by Grace Hong

More

« Last Edit: Wed, 24 March 2021, 20:01:45 by loop | esc lab »

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 13:56:04 »
UPDATES

// March 25 2021
  • Added day one numbers - at 45% MOQ already!
// March 24 2021
  • We went live! Thank you for all your support.
  • Added GB review from EuraPSD <3

« Last Edit: Thu, 25 March 2021, 20:13:06 by loop | esc lab »

Offline shima

• keeb weeb
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 14:15:24 »
pog 1u block of metal
GLWGB  ;D
boards: anura

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 14:30:04 »

Offline Liub

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 14:32:05 »
Picked up two sets cuz dunno. Thanks matey and glwgb.

Offline Barri

• Praise the Lord of Bones
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 14:42:31 »
TakeMyMoney.png

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 15:15:14 »
Picked up two sets cuz dunno. Thanks matey and glwgb.

Thank you so much for the support  :thumb:

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 15:15:26 »
TakeMyMoney.png

Your wish is my command.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 17:33:02 »
GLWGB

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 18:05:28 »

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 19:43:48 »
In for 1. Very catvibe.

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 19:44:32 »
In for 1. Very catvibe.
Wait for dededecline's Foundry on the Paw ;)

Looking forward to the most bad ass paw haha
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 March 2021, 20:03:36 by loop | esc lab »

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 03:01:26 »
Hey y'all.

We've hit at least 25% MOQ 12 hours in with only just zFrontier and Mechs & Co. numbers reporting in!

I think we can hit 100/250 per SKU once the two other vendors report numbers

Thank you for the HOT response day 1!!

I honestly didn't expect us to do so well day one. I would have been happy if there were 10 orders day 1. Yall are insane.

Right now Foundry Edition is the most popular bundle, and the Polished Stainless Steel is the most popular single!

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 14:49:17 »

📊  Series 00 group buy day 1 numbers!
Note: Minimum order quantity (MOQ) is 250 units. These are aggregate numbers from all four vendors.
  • Polished Stainless Steel is our most popular material
  • Black Aluminum + Polished Brass is a close second
  • Silver Aluminum needs a bit of love  :thumb:
  • Foundry Edition has 55 orders so far
Estimates say that we at roughly 45% MOQ on day one 🤩✨🎉

THANK YOU FOR THE SUPER WARM RESPONSE!

None of us here expected it to do so well on day 1. You folks have shattered our expectations.

Thank you again 🤗🤗🤗

« Last Edit: Thu, 25 March 2021, 14:51:56 by loop | esc lab »

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
Re: [GB] Series 00 | At 45% MOQ on day 1 of GB!
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 20:51:43 »

Edit: remaining vendors updated
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 March 2021, 19:18:06 by dvorcol »

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
[GB] Series 00 | At 45% MOQ on day 1 of GB!
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 20:52:52 »
Show Image

Thanks so much mate!

Thank you everyone for the great response on the first few days :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 March 2021, 03:28:14 by loop | esc lab »

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 16:36:38 »

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 16:59:27 »
Show Image

Series 00 Week 1.5 MOQ numbers - 68% to MOQ

1. Silver Aluminum - 115 units @ 46% to MOQ
2. Black Aluminum - 178 units @ 72% to MOQ
3. Sandblast Brass - 136 units @ 55% MOQ
4. Polished SS - 235 units @ 94% to MOQ
5. Polished Brass - 185 units @ 74% to MOQ

Fun fact: 82 Foundry Editions sold so far

GB ends in **3 weeks** on April 24th.

Thank you for the incredible support. I love you all.

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 19:03:37 »
I understand that you are enthusiastic about your product.
But personally your overmarketing completely killed all my interest in it (and I know I am not alone on this).

Bumping your own threads to always stay on top of first page, the Instagram spam, posting in so many GH threads just so people see your signature, all the reddit threads, now the XXXXL meme version probably just to promote this GB, and again replying to every comments in a separate post while spreading your replies apart so your topics stays at the top, the shady advertisements you did in some other threads (think it was some macropad and you replying along the lines of "the Series 00 would look great on that").

Clearly it has worked to some extent looking at your sales, but also know that you lost some.

Offline halocantkb

• Formerly 'shota_irl'
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 20:03:26 »
But personally your overmarketing completely killed all my interest in it (and I know I am not alone on this).

Bumping your own threads to always stay on top of first page, the Instagram spam, posting in so many GH threads just so people see your signature, all the reddit threads, now the XXXXL meme version probably just to promote this GB, and again replying to every comments in a separate post while spreading your replies apart so your topics stays at the top, the shady advertisements you did in some other threads (think it was some macropad and you replying along the lines of "the Series 00 would look great on that").

Clearly it has worked to some extent looking at your sales, but also know that you lost some.

it's not new to bump your own thread with an update. if you think it's annoying then go call out every single ic/gb poster who updates in a new comment.
i also don't really understand how posting in other gh threads is bad. just because he has the signature of his own gb doesn't mean he's posting specifically for advertisement of his page

Offline vnflynn

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 20:16:16 »

it's not new to bump your own thread with an update. if you think it's annoying then go call out every single ic/gb poster who updates in a new comment.
i also don't really understand how posting in other gh threads is bad. just because he has the signature of his own gb doesn't mean he's posting specifically for advertisement of his page

I agree with you about other IC/GB also doing the same thing, which is fine but I also have seen too much ads about this product (which I also interested in) and other IC/GB did not have the XXXL meme . Personally I would say that crossed the line .

Offline savageastr0naut

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 20:26:20 »

Are you joking?

There is nothing wrong with providing updates, being enthusiastic about your product, and discussing it with people on public forums.

Your assumptions and comments are rude and out of line.

Offline CookieFlow

Re: [GB] Series 00 | 68% to MOQ on Week 1.5
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 07:42:26 »
I am not joking.

Yes part of it is based on assumptions but some also facts (the XXXL meme wasn't necessary, if you are on IG you will see almost daily stories/posts either from him or affiliated parties, direct advertisement in other threads ([IC] Keydelabra - Artisan Keycap Stand), and even just recently saw a nice post in r/mechanicalkeyboards and background screen is ofc "series 00").
I was genuinely interested in this product before, but I do feel the advertisements for it got shoved in my face too much (and for having talked with other people they felt the same way too).

-Yes ofc there is nothing wrong to provide updates about your product and reply to questions.
But it's also possible to reply to everybody in 1 post (go look at the XXXL version with 5 posts in a row from OP, could have easily been just 1).
-There is also nothing wrong with posting in other GH threads, but again so many posts from OP being just to quote "<3" "nice." and other small mundane comments.  Maybe wrongly, but for me it felt like I was seeing this Series 00 signature in so many threads.

My point wasn't to be rude, but that I do believe that too much marketing isn't always a good thing.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 April 2021, 07:45:09 by CookieFlow »

Offline bloodparticle

• A through hole keyboard fan!
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 08:00:40 »
Don't get me wrong, but don't waste your time telling us how do you feel (or people you spoke to, that is very vague) about an IC/GB, no one cares (well, better talk for me, i dont care), this is a forum for the keyboard comunities shares their concept, ideas and products, to talk around that.

If it were your ic/gb, you wouldn't do something similar?

It is simple, if you don't like don't buy, if you got disappointed then overcome that feeling ;)
-
PS. Why we (you) use signatures?! ...think about that...
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 April 2021, 08:27:42 by bloodparticle »

Offline StrangPrisoner

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 10:25:14 »
Hol' up hol' up hol' up.
We're mad at a company/independent merchant posting their stuff on a forum purpose built for exposing and promoting concepts/products and advertising on "social media" (read marketing platforms)?
Color me outraged! /s

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 16:59:30 »
Thank you for everyone's opinions.

If you enjoy seeing our updates - that's dope. I'll continue informing everyone on our progress, any latest news, and new products (although there won't be any new product announcements until Series 00 GB ships).

If you find our updates to be an eye sore, I am sorry you do not enjoy them.

There are a number of ways to prevent yourself from seeing our content, with the most drastic one being blocking us on Instagram, Geekhack, Reddit, Discord, and more. It makes me sad if this is your option, but being in control of what you see or don't see is a benefit to social media.

Appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts. I would prefer if this thread stayed on the topic of this group buy, however.

As always, I am happy to answer any questions and feedback - my Discord is loop#8888.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 April 2021, 17:09:57 by loop | esc lab »

Offline bloodparticle

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 17:17:47 »
Yes Sir. That Stainless Steel have my heart!

Offline baccaan

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 17:59:37 »
Was on the fence about picking the SS up, but am 100% buying it now out of pure spite towards that other comment.

Nice reverse psychology!

Offline Nuap

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 18:10:49 »
I am not joking.

Yes part of it is based on assumptions but some also facts (the XXXL meme wasn't necessary, if you are on IG you will see almost daily stories/posts either from him or affiliated parties, direct advertisement in other threads ([IC] Keydelabra - Artisan Keycap Stand), and even just recently saw a nice post in r/mechanicalkeyboards and background screen is ofc "series 00").
I was genuinely interested in this product before, but I do feel the advertisements for it got shoved in my face too much (and for having talked with other people they felt the same way too).

-Yes ofc there is nothing wrong to provide updates about your product and reply to questions.
But it's also possible to reply to everybody in 1 post (go look at the XXXL version with 5 posts in a row from OP, could have easily been just 1).
-There is also nothing wrong with posting in other GH threads, but again so many posts from OP being just to quote "<3" "nice." and other small mundane comments.  Maybe wrongly, but for me it felt like I was seeing this Series 00 signature in so many threads.

My point wasn't to be rude, but that I do believe that too much marketing isn't always a good thing.

CookieFlow has a point here, just a quick scroll through loop's posting history shows a tonne of comments like "Nice" and "Looking good" on IC's. Sure there should always be conversation, that's why we are on a forum - but these are pretty low effort posts.
In isolation, we could say that this is fine, it's good for designers to just get compliments on the work they have done. But when you put this into the context that loop stands to make money off any exposure, and look at stuff like loop previously highjacking another IC thread to promote his own products (link: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111342.msg3017244#msg3017244), then it starts to look a bit more iffy.

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 18:38:50 »
I'm betting if you sampled most users, that would be the most common type of response.
A-a-ron

Offline bloodparticle

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 18:55:14 »
Just wondering if the 00 is a existing profile or if it is an original design from you guys! What was the process to reach that desired shape (just curiosity :D)?
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 April 2021, 19:00:47 by bloodparticle »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 18:57:21 »
Let's keep this thread to the topic at hand. Regardless of the true intent of loop's other posts and frequency of updates, the points have been made now so it's best to not continue driving this topic further off-course.

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 19:03:57 »
Just wondering if the 00 is a existing profile or if it is an original design from you guys! What was the process to reach that desired shape?

Hey!

It is a Cherry-like profile that shares the average dimensions of a Cherry keycap. Just, more angular.

Cubic, Isshin, and I are a huge fan of minimalistic design, and when we entered the hobby, while Salvun/Rama makes some incredible metal artisans (which are incredible in their own right and we're fans of), there weren't any particular designs that spoke to us on the minimal level. So we thought we'd just go ahead and make our own.

Initial R1 prototypes of Series 00 had the profile about 1mm taller than Cherry + much sharper edges. That proved to be a bit too much, and slightly uncomfortable to use, despite a fairly cool appearance. We dialed down the extremes a bit, and arrived at .25mm taller than Cherry, and a more forgiving safety fillet that still looks sharp but doesn't feel uncomfortable to the touch. The height still stands out a bit on the keyboard, but not as much as before.

Some people think this was inspired by the OEM profile, but we didn't actually look at OEM as an inspiration. Cherry was definitely the main profile used for "compatibility" without it being *too* different. We think it works out perfectly this way.

Additionally, we have some ideas on where we want to take this particular profile where the flat faces make for a nice little canvas for us to work with. But we won't be announcing those until 00 starts fulfilling as to be respectful to our customers :)

Hope that answers your questions!

Offline bloodparticle

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 19:13:50 »
Just wondering if the 00 is a existing profile or if it is an original design from you guys! What was the process to reach that desired shape?

Hey!

It is a Cherry-like profile that shares the average dimensions of a Cherry keycap. Just, more angular.

Cubic, Isshin, and I are a huge fan of minimalistic design, and when we entered the hobby, while Salvun/Rama makes some incredible metal artisans (which are incredible in their own right and we're fans of), there weren't any particular designs that spoke to us on the minimal level. So we thought we'd just go ahead and make our own.

Initial R1 prototypes of Series 00 had the profile about 1mm taller than Cherry + much sharper edges. That proved to be a bit too much, and slightly uncomfortable to use, despite a fairly cool appearance. We dialed down the extremes a bit, and arrived at .25mm taller than Cherry, and a more forgiving safety fillet that still looks sharp but doesn't feel uncomfortable to the touch. The height still stands out a bit on the keyboard, but not as much as before.

Some people think this was inspired by the OEM profile, but we didn't actually look at OEM as an inspiration. Cherry was definitely the main profile used for "compatibility" without it being *too* different. We think it works out perfectly this way.

Additionally, we have some ideas on where we want to take this particular profile where the flat faces make for a nice little canvas for us to work with. But we won't be announcing those until 00 starts fulfilling as to be respectful to our customers :)

Hope that answers your questions!

Totally! Fascinating, the creative path is definitely one of the many interesting things in the development of a product, hehe thanks for the teasing, I will keep an eye on you guys. d(^_^

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 22:10:34 »

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 22:56:31 »
Show Image

Thank you dvorcol  :thumb:

Week 2.5 Series 00 Groupbuy Numbers

Hello all. This is your second week and a half numbers for the Series 00. We have 12 days until the end of the group buy (ends on April 24th). If you haven't snapped up your Series 00, you have a dozen days left!

• Polished Stainless Steel smashed through the MOQ at 115%.
  • Black Aluminum and Polishedf Brass are so close to hitting MOQ, at 86% and 91% respectively.
  • Silver Aluminum needs a little love
  • Sandblast Brass is also getting close, but also needs a bit of love.

Quite a few of you asked us what happens if a Series 00 doesn't MOQ - good question! We will make all of them regardless or not we hit MOQ! MOQ is more of "best case scenario" for us, but if we don't hit that number, we will personally take the financial hit so y'all can get the Series 00 that you want.

Giveaways

The past week or so, we ran two giveaways, one hosted by the friendly fellows of Mechs & Co, and another by us. In the end there were four winners, each getting a Series 00 for their support of us. We will have more giveaways coming up, so if you didn't get the chance to get in on one, you'll have more attempts in the future.

Series 00 XXXXL

We were sort of blown away by the seriously impressive response for us to turn Series 00 XXXXL into a real product. This legitimately was just an April Fools joke, and we only made 10 (all of which have found their rightful owners).

Considering this, we will share more news about the XXXXL once Series 00's GB ends as to respect both the GB itself and our customers. We don't want to double dip on multiple product announcements when one hasn't even finished going through GB. Thank you for your patience.

And again..

Thank you for your support of us + Series 00. Before the GB began, we were a bit anxious about whether we'll come close to the MOQ numbers which frankly, at 250, is quite a lot for the first product of any designer, let alone it being five products that need to hit 250. So we really would like to thank you all for this.

<3

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
Re: [GB] Series 00 | 82% to MOQ. 12 days left!
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 18 April 2021, 16:59:18 »
Hello all.

Wanted to chime in to say that this is the FINAL WEEK of the Series 00 GB.

If you've been on the fence or haven't purchased it yet, nows your final few days before the end.

We will update numbers tomorrow when vendors all share their updates.

Cheerio.

Offline tsukune1349

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 07:20:00 »
Placing my order tonight on zfrontier ><

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 15:36:26 »
Placing my order tonight on zfrontier ><
Thank you for the support <3

Alex will take care of you :)

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 22:39:07 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 April 2021, 23:47:18 by dvorcol »

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
Re: [GB] Series 00 | Only 5 days left. Everything will be made!
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 23:17:24 »

💹 Week 3.5 Series 00 GB Numbers

This is the LAST WEEK for you to purchase a Series 00 - we officially close on April 24th! If you've been waiting, on the fence, or just haven't bought it yet, this is your last few days to do so!

• Silver Aluminum - 176 @ 71% to MOQ
  • Black Aluminum - 257 units @ 103% to MOQ
  • Sandblast Brass - 213 units @ 85% MOQ
  • Polished SS - 365 units @ 146% to MOQ
  • Polished Brass - 286 units @ 114% to MOQ

Highlights
  • Everything will be made!
  • Silver Alu seems to need the most love
  • Three Series 00 has reached and exceeded MOQ, with Polished SS destroying the MOQ
  • We'll share more info on the lil sum sum very soon
  • We sold 123 Foundry Edition bundles so far
  • We have sold ~1300 units combined total, which means we're at 104% MOQ (average combined)

Sales figures do not include extras

Thank you for the love PeepoLove

Offline Stickk

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 16:44:14 »
Oh there's only 3 days left until GB ends! I haven't decided on what to get yet

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 11:54:52 »
Oh there's only 3 days left until GB ends! I haven't decided on what to get yet
Yup!

About 2 days now. That said, it is entirely under the discretion of the vendors on when they close the GB so the closing time likely won't match for all vendors and that's fairly normal.

We have been running daily giveaways on our server (http://discord.esclab.co) as well hosted by vendors and community members. Join the fun :)

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
Re: [GB] Series 00 | FINAL 24 HOURS! Everything will be made.
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 16:32:13 »
Apologies for the repeated bumping.

Today is the last day for the Series 00 GB. Each vendor will close at different times but they told me it will be around later today.

If you've still been on the fence, nows the time to get off the fence.

As soon as the GB is over and we have final sales numbers, we will share it here (thanks dvorcol). We will then share next steps when we begin manufacturing and give a more accurate production timeline.

As always, we will keep you informed each step of the way.

Based on the feedback from a few folks, we will be sharing fewer small updates on Geekhack. Rather, we will likely only post biweekly/monthly major updates in this thread.

If you want to see all the details for each step of the way, please join our Discord: http://discord.esclab.co or subscribe to our mailing list at: http://hello.esclab.co

Thank you all for a GB that blew away our expectations.

Just from pre-extra numbers, we have sold >500 Polished Stainless Steel alone.

More to come on exact numbers.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
Re: [GB] Series 00 | GB is over! Final sales numbers incoming.
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 29 April 2021, 23:25:28 »
Final numbers

More
<-- without extras

« Last Edit: Sun, 02 May 2021, 23:40:52 by dvorcol »

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
[GB] Series 00 | GB is over! Final sales numbers incoming.
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 04:08:27 »
Final numbers

Show Image

More
Show Image
<-- without extras

Show Image

Series 00 Final Sales Numbers

Hey everyone

We got our final sales numbers and /damn/... is all I can say.

We hit 230% MOQ and sold >2900 Series 00 total.

These numbers are bonkers and we are mind blown.

Y'all are wild. The success in the GB is all because of *you*.

Final numbers

1. Sandblast Aluminum Silver - 350 units @ 140%
2. Sandblast Aluminum Black - 568 units @ 227%
3. Sandblast Brass - 471 units @ 188%
4. Polished Stainless Steel - 832 units @ 333%
5. Polished Brass - 664 units @ 266%

Next steps

We still have some final administrative work we need to do with our four vendors. Then, we will get a quote from our manufacturer (for Series 00 & packaging). From this quote, we'll get a concrete manufacturing timeline where we'll be able to share an updated shipping timeline

Thank you for a very successful GB. Y'all made this possible for us!

And also thank you for Mechs & Co, Desk Hero, Candy Keys, and zFrontier for helping us with the actual GB itself. Couldn't have done it without our awesome vendors (and me being super annoying on weekly sales figures )
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 April 2021, 04:17:13 by loop | esc lab »

Offline UGunaLOSE

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 07:40:09 »
That's awesome and congrats! Look forward to seeing this puppies out in the wild

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 16:24:39 »
  May 6th Post-GB Update

No major updates this week.

We're currently still in the process of finishing up paperwork with our vendors and manufacturers. You know, the boring stuff that no one wants to talk about but still needs to do.

Final figures from all vendors have been tallied and we're ready to submit them to our manu to get the quote once this paperwork stuff is done.

Ideally this stuff gets done by this week and we will have more to share on the manufacturing process next week.

Again, I will update our manufacturing and fulfillment timeline when we get more accurate data.

Since others have complained about us being too frequent on bumping this thread, if you don't see an update from us, just assume there is nothing major to report. I will only post major milestones on Geekhack.

For more minute details, we are frequent and very active on our Discord: http://discord.esclab.co

Thank you

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 13:34:51 »
May 24 2021 GB Update

We have received payment from all vendors and deposited 50% to our manufacturer.

This means that manufacturing has begun

We will update the manufacturing estimate and timeline shortly