Author Topic: [IC] - DSA Deco (Updated 07/03/18: new colors, new font)  (Read 8059 times)

Offline dilbertprogrammer

• Keyboard Connoisseur
[IC] - DSA Deco (Updated 07/03/18: new colors, new font)
« on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 16:10:20 »

DSA Deco is a keycap set inspired by Art Deco design era.

Update 07/03/18: Colors have been changed to avoid overlap/conflict with DSA 2049; Font has been changed from Le Havre to Rampung

Interest Check form

[Specifications] --
[Kits] --
  • TKL (Standard Tenkeyless + Alternate Color)
  • Numpad (Standard TK + Altnerate Color Enter)
  • Adapter (1u and 1.5u modifiers, 2.25u Shift, Alternate Color)
  • Novelties
  • Spacebars (Alternate 6.25u, 7u)
  • ErgoBlanck (Blank modifers to cover either ErgoFox or Planck) - 1u (20), 1.5u (12), 2u (vertical: 4, horizontal: 1)
Many thanks to engicoder, dixiemech, oblotzky, zambumon, livingspeedbump, outragedpudding and thesiscamper!

Renders by thesiscamper:

Updated renders (by thesiscamper) can also be seen in the keyset image galley.

Please take a moment to complete the brief 3-question interest check form to provide feedback!

Thank you for taking the time to look at my set!
dilbertprogrammer

« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:55:36 by dilbertprogrammer »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
Re: [IC] - DSA Deco
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 16:27:36 »
Looking good  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 16:28:58 »
Excited for the topleft aligned legends for DSA! Big in for this set  :thumb:

Offline ChrisSwires

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 16:44:11 »
Very happy to see more sp DSA and I like the set but I'm not seeing the art deco influence? I associate deco with exuberance, richness and flamboyance? The muted grey and pastel purple isn't giving me that vibe.

I'm in either way don't get me wrong but, this doesn't say deco to me.

Offline koduh

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 17:39:21 »
Very happy to see more sp DSA and I like the set but I'm not seeing the art deco influence? I associate deco with exuberance, richness and flamboyance? The muted grey and pastel purple isn't giving me that vibe.

So I went and Googled Art Deco in images just to try and gauge these sentiments. I didn't see much flamboyance and brightness that you were referring to but I do feel like it is lacking something to help sell the Deco styling. I think part of the issue is a lot of the Devo I am seeing are patterns that span entire spaces and not leaving much white space, where as on keycaps we can't really achieve that effect without it being too busy.

So I do agree that it is still lacking a bit.

Offline monkt

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 19:03:39 »

I agree completely. But I do think this has potential to be really special with some adjustments. 

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 00:25:47 »
Whether the set resembles art deco styling is not a huge deal breaker for me one way or the other. I really like the font and left aligned mods and the colorway! I would like to see a 1.5u backspace that says backspace and an esc that says esc. Otherwise I'm looking forward to following this set and seeing what comes out of it!

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 01:04:18 »
Deco or not, it's definitely a nice colorway.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

• Keyboard Connoisseur
Re: [IC] - DSA Deco (Updated 07/03/18: new colors, new font)
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:24:22 »
Hey everyone!

The colors and font have been updated.

Please take a moment to check out the updated keyset image gallery, and then let me know your thoughts on the changes via my brief 3-question IC form.

Thank you much!   :thumb:
dilbertprogrammer

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:48:43 »
Huge fan! Looking great!  :thumb:

Offline dimo

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:07:56 »
DSA Classic Beige

Offline Corgiattackkk

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 18:17:21 »
I like the font change, but I still feel like the color is off. The accent color would look a lot better as a royal blue rather than the soft blue you have chosen. I also think there should be more contrast between the aphas against the modifiers, such as just white rather than a light cream/ beige color. I feel like that would look better if you are keeping the modifier color the same.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 18:19:27 by Corgiattackkk »

Offline LastBrat

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 09:51:01 »
Like many commenters above, I feel this set needs more work - I've left some coments in the survey. What about a jade-green with gold accents (or mods), with centered legends for example? Also: there needs to be a martini glass novelty ;)
Edit: Here is an example of what I have in mind: a render I made (with a font I designed for a keycap set of my own, but feel might fit the Art Deco style ok) and the colors I mentioned above:
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 10:38:34 by LastBrat »

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 11:43:26 »
Like many commenters above, I feel this set needs more work - I've left some coments in the survey. What about a jade-green with gold accents (or mods), with centered legends for example? Also: there needs to be a martini glass novelty ;)
Edit: Here is an example of what I have in mind: a render I made (with a font I designed for a keycap set of my own, but feel might fit the Art Deco style ok) and the colors I mentioned above:

I feel like a more muted jade could work, almost a mint, and I've mentioned elsewhere to OP that some gold would fit the motif well; both jade and gold could go onto some accents a/o novelties easily. Otherwise, I personally like the colors OP picked out.

On a second pass, I too would like to see some alternative sizing/placement for the legends– that is, centered and BIG. The non-vehicular novelties could possibly use a bump up in size, which could help clarity of the designs if that were to be a problem.

• Keyboard Connoisseur
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 12:33:49 »
Hi everyone!  I am continuing to collect responses and evaluate the community's invaluable input.  Thank you so much for the initial feedback! 

For those that have not yet answered the brief 3-question Google Form, I would be super appreciative if you could take a moment to supply your feedback there as well.

Here is the link: DSA Deco - Interest Check Form

Thank you again so much for the great feedback.  Please keep it coming!   :thumb:

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 16:43:48 »
I'd actually like to see the caps be red with yellow pad-printed legends, swap DSA for SA profile, and rename to SA MickyD's.

I kid, I kid, but thanks for being open to feedback OP!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 16:46:58 »
I'd actually like to see the caps be red with yellow pad-printed legends, swap DSA for SA profile, and rename to SA MickyD's.

Whoa, Geekhack has CustomerSupport now, NICE!!!

CustomerSupport, how will I change the look & feel of the webpage once China takes over Geekhack?

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 11:33:24 »

Whoa, Geekhack has CustomerSupport now, NICE!!!

CustomerSupport, how will I change the look & feel of the webpage once China takes over Geekhack?

First you'll need to 打开设置菜单 and 在插槽中插入5 $ into the slot that says 请改变网站的设计.

After that, 发送电子邮件给新任命的GeekHack主席,要求进行必要的更改.

And you should be good!