Author Topic: Keycap Color Scheme Archive  (Read 4945 times)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
Keycap Color Scheme Archive
« on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 09:51:33 »
This thread will contain all the various keycap color schemes known to our users, both those that have become groupbuys, or become available to sale, or only been seen on vintage keyboards, or have only been (seriously) proposed. This is where we will catalog the keycap color schemes and determine what they will be named, so that we can refer to them.

I'm a relative newcomer to the keyboard hobby, so please feel free to help me make corrections, or improve the photos available.

Here are my proposed data fields for each scheme:

NAME: (by consensus)
AKA:
PRODUCED: Y/N
MANUFACTURED BY: (if known)
GROUPBUY: Y/N
CREATOR(S): (if known)
PROFILE HISTORY: (made in DSA, DCS, etc.)
COLOR DESCRIPTION: (place color chip information here, if known)
LEGEND HISTORY:
PHOTOS:
CGI RENDERS:
OTHER NOTES: (inspired by, anything that doesn't fit)

Ideas? Critiques?
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 October 2013, 09:53:18 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
Re: Keycap Color Scheme Archive
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 09:51:59 »
(reserved)
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 09:55:41 »
Ha, I literally just posted this idea to the Keeper's subforum. Do you want to handle updating the OP or would you rather one of the Keepers do it?

This is what I posted:

The people ask, we deliver.

We create a pictoral list of keycap sets, colors, and manufacturer. The OP has some info like pictures of the Xrite color checker (for monitor calibration), Dianoda's color ring pictures, SP's color codes, and explanation of legends/fonts. Then the entries look something like:

Show Image

Name: Raindrop
Manufacturer: Signature Plastics
Material: ABS Plastic; Two-Shot Injection Molded (double shot)
Profile: DCS
Font: WYSE
Legends: 7Bit and Custom
Colors: White (WFK) and Blue (BFP)

So an entry would look like:

The issue with having a running thread, in my opinion, is that the questions and comments will make it hard to scroll through. I ran into this problem with Simple Questions Simple Answers. Having an organized OP or first 3 posts is the best way to handle this I think. And sorry, I sniped your third post :(.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 October 2013, 09:58:07 by CPTBadAss »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 10:05:52 »
This looks good, however raises another question, we need some better way than threads to collate information, like a wiki or pages.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 10:08:27 »
This looks good, however raises another question, we need some better way than threads to collate information, like a wiki or pages.
WIP
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 10:29:32 »
NAME: RETRO DSA
AKA:
DESIGNED BY: SamwiseKoi and Matt3o Y/N
MANUFACTURED BY: Signature Plastics (if known)
GROUPBUY: Yes
MATERIAL-PROFILE HISTORY: ABS-DSA
COLOR DESCRIPTION: Plum (ABS-RBH), Chocolate (ABS-TBH) and Green(ABS-???)
LEGEND HISTORY: ???
PHOTOS:
CGI RENDERS:
OTHER NOTES: Inspired by the Commodore64 keyboard. Included Commodore64 logo keys.
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 10:33:32 »
Ha, I literally just posted this idea to the Keeper's subforum. Do you want to handle updating the OP or would you rather one of the Keepers do it?

A Keeper can do it, no problem. I just wanted to get the ball rolling.

This is what I posted:

The people ask, we deliver.

We create a pictoral list of keycap sets, colors, and manufacturer. The OP has some info like pictures of the Xrite color checker (for monitor calibration), Dianoda's color ring pictures, SP's color codes, and explanation of legends/fonts. Then the entries look something like:

Show Image

So an entry would look like:

Show Image

The issue with having a running thread, in my opinion, is that the questions and comments will make it hard to scroll through. I ran into this problem with Simple Questions Simple Answers. Having an organized OP or first 3 posts is the best way to handle this I think. And sorry, I sniped your third post :(.

That looks great. I agree that a wiki would be a better place to put all this, but a thread makes it easier to get (and verify) info from our #1 source of information, forum members. Also, the thread is a great place to debate the names for the schemes (when needed). It would be nice to be able to link these things to other threads, too.

If a Keeper is already on this, then delete or merge this thread. I'll help out as I am able.
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 11:18:50 »
I was thinking of creating a thread to aggregate information with one of the Keepers owning the OP, possibly in the Post Wiki Workshop forum, just so the Keepers can all edit it (Yes, we have mod privileges in that sub-forum). Sort of like how Simple Questions is run now. If it's cool with you Krogenar, I will create a thread later and you and anyone else can certainly contribute. We welcome the help.

The new Wiki will not be setup like the current one. Rather, as I understand it, it will be a sub-forum like we're used to (that uses bbcode) except the Keepers will be able to organize it better. It will have a little link at the top like we have now, and the Wiki will open up a separate page. From what I saw, that page will have a look of a forum but be much more organized. Sort of like KBD's Tips and Tricks or how the Old GH Wiki worked. The main reason is we want the community to help as much as they can and the Wiki code/setup obviously isn't working. If it worked, people would be editing the Wiki instead of just talking about wanting one. It's very daunting and no fun to work on in my opinion. From personal experience (I created the Clack Wiki article), it's very awkward and time consuming for me to work on a Wiki entry when I can bang out a bbcode thread easily. I can add in links and setup tables and references like I do in my review much more easily with bbcode. I give Daniel Beardsmore major props.

The new Wiki is currently a work in progress like Photekq said. Rkinize is the main driver/updater for that project. I will also post a thread later with the info on the new Wiki, as well as projects the Keepers are working on.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 11:27:03 »
Excited to see what you guys are working on.

The best thing would be some sort of article, where Keepers could edit first post and others can comment and contribute, I am not too familiar with SMF, I know XenForo inside out, so would have been able to help if we were working on that software.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 11:27:21 »
This is a good idea.

I'm still trying to figure out what a "Triumph Adler" key set looks like.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 13:01:07 »
If it's cool with you Krogenar, I will create a thread later and you and anyone else can certainly contribute. We welcome the help.

I'm very cool with it. Should we delete this thread, or merge it later? Whatever you think is fine with me.

The new Wiki will not be setup like the current one. Rather, as I understand it, it will be a sub-forum like we're used to (that uses bbcode) except the Keepers will be able to organize it better. It will have a little link at the top like we have now, and the Wiki will open up a separate page. From what I saw, that page will have a look of a forum but be much more organized. Sort of like KBD's Tips and Tricks or how the Old GH Wiki worked. The main reason is we want the community to help as much as they can and the Wiki code/setup obviously isn't working. If it worked, people would be editing the Wiki instead of just talking about wanting one. It's very daunting and no fun to work on in my opinion. From personal experience (I created the Clack Wiki article), it's very awkward and time consuming for me to work on a Wiki entry when I can bang out a bbcode thread easily. I can add in links and setup tables and references like I do in my review much more easily with bbcode. I give Daniel Beardsmore major props.

Maybe there's a way to make the wiki we have support BBcode? I don't want to make suggestions that are unwelcome, but, it's too bad that isn't possible. Then people could write up stuff in BBcode and it could then be dropped into the wiki by someone who does know how it works? Also, maintaining a 'hit list' (report of gaps in our knowledge) might make it easier for people to contribute. Maybe a thread for just that would work?

HIT LIST THREAD / PHOTOS NEEDED.
- KMAC blahblahblah
- Dolch with monitor still attached.
- Exotic Korean 30% keyboard.

Then someone can just pop into the thread, see the list, and say, "Whoa, I've got that picture." and then post it. Keeper arrives, puts the photo where it belongs (along with a photo credit), and the thread can be scrubbed up, edited, whatever.

The new Wiki is currently a work in progress like Photekq said. Rkinize is the main driver/updater for that project. I will also post a thread later with the info on the new Wiki, as well as projects the Keepers are working on.

If I can help, just let me know.
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 13:08:47 »
This is a good idea.

LOL, NOOB!

... seriously, though, what's it look like?
More

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 16:06:13 »
This is a good idea.

LOL, NOOB!

... seriously, though, what's it look like?

Triumph-Adler is a German manufacturer which used to produce typewriters, and some of them used Cherry M9 switches whose caps fit on MX switches. Alphas are fully ANSI compatible, some of the modifiers as well, but most of them not. I use the just Alphas and type on them right now. The caps are thick blue on off-white/light-gray PBT, this should give you a good idea:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Triumph-Adler-Gabriele-110-DS-Elektrische-Maschine-/171144107343?pt=Schreibmaschinen_zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item27d8fbd54f
There are also some sets with a green font.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 October 2013, 16:33:26 by BlueBär »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 17:00:26 »
Maybe there's a way to make the wiki we have support BBcode? I don't want to make suggestions that are unwelcome, but, it's too bad that isn't possible. Then people could write up stuff in BBcode and it could then be dropped into the wiki by someone who does know how it works?

Then we have a bottle neck on the person who knows the Wiki code. Regardless, the Wiki as we know it is going away. The mods have decided its not a system that works well for our community. That's where I and the Keepers are coming into play.

Also, maintaining a 'hit list' (report of gaps in our knowledge) might make it easier for people to contribute. Maybe a thread for just that would work?

HIT LIST THREAD / PHOTOS NEEDED.
- KMAC blahblahblah
- Dolch with monitor still attached.
- Exotic Korean 30% keyboard.

This is a great idea. I'll drop that idea in our subforum for things we can add to the new Wiki.

If I can help, just let me know.

You've done lots of help here. I'm going to recreate this thread in Post Wiki Workshop, where the Keepers have mod powers and we'll all be able to edit the OPs. If you could keep throwing out suggestions, ask about keycap sets, and find pictures or info to add, that would be great. This is a community effort, we're just here to help curate and sort through the info.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 19:21:51 »
Double post! Krogenar and anyone else who is interested, please check out this thread.

Thank you so much for getting this idea jump started

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 19:29:28 »
Why not wiki?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 19:36:57 »
'qaz and other people who have this question, please feel free to read the Keepers' Mission Statement.