Author Topic: Zalman CNPS20X  (Read 2714 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Zalman CNPS20X
« on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 11:06:52 »
Apparently Beats Noctua NHD15..  and is cheaper

It's alot bigger, buh nonetheless, the performance is there.

The fans look ridiculous.  Buhh... it's for young people afterall.

The blades are different, it's has a smaller impeller on the inner ring.
< I believe this is to create a narrower vortex column towards the spindle section. >

It's got copper fins in the middle, aluminum top and bottom.

234880-0

234882-1

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Re: Zalman CNPS20X
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 12:34:15 »
Apparently Beats Noctua NHD15.. 
I'll believe it when I see it. If it does, that's great. I still won't be buying one though it looks ridiculous.
Maybe for my nephew. I am sure the next upgrades I'll be making to his pc are RGB.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 12:38:22 »
Yea, the fans really make you go, ehhhhh.. soooo.. ok.... well.... young people.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 13:07:48 »
Saw a detailed view of the heatpipe and fin design. Didn't see price tag. Did vomit at fans.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 15:11:57 »
Apparently Beats Noctua NHD15..  and is cheaper

It's alot bigger, buh nonetheless, the performance is there.

The fans look ridiculous.  Buhh... it's for young people afterall.

The blades are different, it's has a smaller impeller on the inner ring.
< I believe this is to create a narrower vortex column towards the spindle section. >

It's got copper fins in the middle, aluminum top and bottom.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

WHat is zalman

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 15:45:54 »
Noctua has always been 50% hype

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 22:26:20 »

I like noctua. Their range of products for all different sized builds with consistent performance keeps me coming back.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 15:22:02 »
The silly lights look like they are screwed on, could take them off and shave a little off the weight...

The NHD15 has been out for ages and technology marches on, Zalman used to make good coolers long ago (they were fan shaped) so why not.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 23:05:02 »
The silly lights look like they are screwed on, could take them off and shave a little off the weight...

The NHD15 has been out for ages and technology marches on, Zalman used to make good coolers long ago (they were fan shaped) so why not.

Zalman is one of my favorite cpu cooler makers simply due to the sheer variety of  they've made.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 00:31:30 »
Zalman is one of my favorite cpu cooler makers simply due to the sheer variety of  they've made.

I still own the classically shaped 9900, it kewls my one of my G3258 @ 4.7ghz

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 00:36:29 »

The fans are specially designed, asssssuming they used FEA to simulate the airflow, it may impact performance if the rig is modified.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 01:58:31 »

Zalman has always been interesting.
Not always good, but at least they try, most heat sink companies just buy the same crap from China.  Not sure I buy this being better than the Noctua, but I would like to see Zalman back in the game, been a while since they did anything big.

I thought so too, now I just think they're on the expensive side. Work great though.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline yui

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 03:39:32 »
Zalman are good, they put the heat in the 4th dimension so it does not bother us in the 3 we are used to.
what seems somewhat strange is why put the copper fins in the middle, they would be more efficient at the bottom, and yeah those open fans will be great to coll ram and vrm but will have trouble pushing air through the fin stacks if not cleaned regularly. still nice to see zalman back, and i kinda hope for a full Cu version.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 08:47:31 »
Zalman are good, they put the heat in the 4th dimension so it does not bother us in the 3 we are used to.
what seems somewhat strange is why put the copper fins in the middle, they would be more efficient at the bottom, and yeah those open fans will be great to coll ram and vrm but will have trouble pushing air through the fin stacks if not cleaned regularly. still nice to see zalman back, and i kinda hope for a full Cu version.

I'm not actually sure if they're even using solid copper fins in the center, they Might be using Copper Clad Aluminum (for aesthetics only).. haha..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 19:57:24 »
Using copper in the center means the center will help make the center more efficient compared to the top and bottom which have the advantage of more air and surface area... At least that's one possible theory.

There's no need for the center to be as good as the top and bottom, so long as the cooler is strong enough, it's strong enough.  You also could argue they needed just that extra bit to reach their cooling goals, but if that's the case why cut it so close, why not use all copper, which would have raised the cost by pennies but allowed them to market it as even cooler and quieter than it is, and yes I understand pennies at scale means lots more expenditures, but that's a BS argument by bean counters and bean counters alone, who don't understand the rest of the process.

My bet though is it's mostly for aesthetics and marketing.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline yui

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 00:49:11 »
in the "olden" days Zalman coolers often came in Al(full aluminum), Al-Cu (about what we got here) and Cu(full copper), with prices according to the trim.
copper is incredibly expensive compared with aluminum, for not much gains in thermals, and also much heavier so for not going full copper the reason may be weight or trying to undercut noctua on pricing. my guess would be that the copper is mostly just here for aesthetics to make it look like a zalman of old (remember those flower coolers, with the copper on the center right above the cpu die)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)