Author Topic: [IC] Space65 R3  (Read 120305 times)

Offline richie1788

Re: [IC] Space65 R3
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 16 March 2022, 10:21:58 »
+Yes to HotSwap please. I hope there is a blue version available.  :thumb:

I just received my Space80 Apollo and its the first board I ever had to solder and I realized I suck at it. I'm trying to make each one clean and perfect, took me way too long. But I am over the moon happy with it.  ;D

I thought I was going to call it quits after the Space80 Apollo, but you're pulling me back in with the Space65 R3. Can't wait to be broke again.

Offline FitLabb

• FitLabb
« Reply #201 on: Wed, 16 March 2022, 10:45:36 »

Is there a date for this GB yet? Got into the hobby too late to get either of the previous rounds and super excited to be a part of R3!

I also cast a vote for a hotswap pcb as it’s just much more practical for me due to having very little time to do things like soldering a board (any solderable boards I have remain unbuilt for that main reason).
soldering takes like 2s per switch and you dont have time for that? Better dont join GBs then

Edit.
meant 2s per switch pin

I don't understand your attempt at shaming those who don't want to wield a soldering iron like a trained Jedi with a  light saber. The hobby is about keyboards, not a soldering club. Pick your flavor of pcb and let others do the same. Let's enjoy the keyboard, not the headache inducing smell of lead in the air yeah?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
you will never get my "attempt" to shame him for going the hs route, since it never was my intention to do so and soldering doesnt need some jedi like power to do so.
building a solder board only takes like 20-30 minutes more compared to hs.
Since he said that he has a lot of solder boards laying around unbuild, I assumed that he is a very imaptient person, which lead to me telling him not to join GB's since they always tend to take longer than what the manufacturer/brand estimates.

I assumed stuff based on his information and tried to prevent him from getting stressed/annoyed by delays which comes with GB's.
I admit that I should have chosen my words better to prevent confusion and maybe explained why I said what I said.

I never expected sharing my desire to buy a hotswap board to become such a topic of discussion. Haha!

So I just got into the custom keyboard hobby this past summer, & some of the boards I really wanted (& bought) are solder-only, so I opted to buy them knowing that. To date, I have never soldered anything, though I’m confident that I can & will learn to be proficient at it once I get started, as I understand it’s not particularly difficult once you get the hang of it. I even bought a couple cheap macro pads to use as practice for soldering, but it’s been something I’ve been putting off doing since I don’t often have the time to spend doing it. I have 2 kids (7 & 10), a dog that needs to get walked, a couple large aquariums, many hobbies that I don’t always have time for, & most importantly I’m the founder of an online business & a full time content creator that’s loosely associated with my business (plus needing to make time to workout daily). So time is often a rare commodity for me, but when I am able to make the time to build a keyboard, it’s something I greatly enjoy and find very relaxing (and I am a very patient person, as this hobby certainly requires that on many levels).

I didn’t expect to have to explain the reasons behind why I personally don’t have the desire (or time) to solder pcb’s right now, but I hope that will change sometime soon since it’s a skill I want to learn & think I may actually come to enjoy doing it once I get started. But until then, if buying a hotswap board is an option, I greatly prefer to go that route since it’s just faster and easier for me, and allows me to change out the switches down the road as I see fit.

One of the great things about this hobby is how much it’s based around personal preference, and this is simply my preference at this point in time for reasons that are meaningful & valid to me. If I was proficient at soldering (which I currently am not), saving that 30-40 minutes by having a hotswap board would still make a difference for me right now, as I work 12+ hours a day as a small business owner & father. I don’t expect others to understand or appreciate that point if they’re not in a similar situation, but at least respect that others have different situations & preferences than you do as we are all different, which is part of what makes the world & this hobby more interesting.

Either way, thanks for sharing your perspective here & I wish you all the best, & hope you’re enjoying the keyboard hobby as much as I am! :thumb:
Founder of FitLabb.com - an online fitness & nutrition platform
YouTube - FitLabb

Offline FitLabb

• FitLabb
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 16 March 2022, 10:49:46 »
Now back to my original question of is there a tentative expected date for when this GB will begin??? Just want to make sure I don’t miss the chance to buy it this time. Thanks in advance to anyone who knows and answers!
YouTube - FitLabb

Offline Keeblet_257

« Reply #203 on: Wed, 16 March 2022, 12:33:22 »
Now back to my original question of is there a tentative expected date for when this GB will begin??? Just want to make sure I don’t miss the chance to buy it this time. Thanks in advance to anyone who knows and answers!
its best to join the mentioned discord server. You might take a few hours or minuted to get the hang out of it if you have no experience with the application but its basically a tool we use to communicate with each other and maybe get updates from the designer himself.
if you decide to join the server its best to assume that your question probably already has been asked several times and should maybe do a little research on the server before asking stuff. Most info can be found using the search tool (search for keywords) or looking through several chanels.
If you log in every now and then you most likely wont miss the news. I recommend checking in everyday and look at the news chanel of the server to see if there is any updates, to be on the save side.

Be nice and people will return the kindness/will help you and if something comes of as rude they most likely dont mean it and may be a result of their bad choose of words. There are rarely any people here with bad intentions it's just a combination of misinterpretation of people intention and them not beeing able to write out what they try to convey

Again I recommend you checking out the discord linked in the post and good luck with your business

Offline FitLabb

• FitLabb
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 16 March 2022, 13:42:23 »
its best to join the mentioned discord server. You might take a few hours or minuted to get the hang out of it if you have no experience with the application but its basically a tool we use to communicate with each other and maybe get updates from the designer himself.
if you decide to join the server its best to assume that your question probably already has been asked several times and should maybe do a little research on the server before asking stuff. Most info can be found using the search tool (search for keywords) or looking through several chanels.
If you log in every now and then you most likely wont miss the news. I recommend checking in everyday and look at the news chanel of the server to see if there is any updates, to be on the save side.

Be nice and people will return the kindness/will help you and if something comes of as rude they most likely dont mean it and may be a result of their bad choose of words. There are rarely any people here with bad intentions it's just a combination of misinterpretation of people intention and them not beeing able to write out what they try to convey

Again I recommend you checking out the discord linked in the post and good luck with your business

Thank you very much for your kind response. I actually joined Discord recently (couple months ago) and have been enjoying it as I’ve found it to be a community full of generally friendly people who are helpful & share common interests. I just found their Discord server and joined and will be looking thru it later today.

And I agree about the being kind to others, as I don’t have a mean bone in my body. Nothing good ever comes from being rude or obnoxious to people, so why ever act that way?

Anyway, thanks again for the helpful tip & well wishes, and hope to see you in the Discord chat. I have the same name in there. Have a great day!
YouTube - FitLabb

Offline thegnu

« Reply #205 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 11:50:04 »
Very interested.  Would be awesome to have polycarb case options, maybe PC bottom/aluminum top.

+1 hotswap

I'm fine with screwless, but not if it will require peeling the feet off to open the board.

Offline Rilow

« Reply #206 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 13:13:30 »
PC option and I'm in.
Have R2 but all LED's died - hope this issue is fixed in R3.

Offline Reptar

« Reply #207 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 18:58:19 »
reviving my 10 year old account to also say polycarb would be instabuy

Offline iliketimex

« Reply #208 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 09:31:35 »
Will pickup a hotswap PCB for my R2, glad to have the option (edit: if it's going to be one). Still haven't built my R2 because I can't decide on the switches yet and have a lot of functional boards already.

As far as the interest check goes, are there additional color options? Not a lot of info in the 1st post.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 March 2022, 09:34:42 by iliketimex »

Offline SpeedRcrX

« Reply #209 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 09:40:38 »
PCB r3 won’t be compatible with an R2 case. They have completely redesign the interior. It’s not a top mount anymore but a gasket mount with a daughter board

Offline SpeedRcrX

« Reply #210 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 09:40:38 »
PCB r3 won’t be compatible with an R2 case. They have completely redesign the interior. It’s not a top mount anymore but a gasket mount with a daughter board

Offline suruq

« Reply #211 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 11:21:43 »
Nice !
I will definitely grab one  :)

Offline iliketimex

« Reply #212 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 13:09:24 »

Thanks for the info. I must've seen an early post on instagram where it was compatible with R2.

Offline CONIN

• Choripán Squad
« Reply #213 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 18:58:47 »
Hope there's finally an all black version (matte) available this time.

Offline Botty212

« Reply #214 on: Thu, 24 March 2022, 02:16:07 »
nope there isnt an all black

Offline iliketimex

« Reply #215 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 11:16:46 »

Wasn't R2's "terminal" color scheme essentially all black? One might have to get a few parts added on, but pretty sure an all-black scheme could have been made in R2. I have both a rear badge and LED badge in black ano for my Robocop board.

Offline max.clacks

« Reply #216 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 11:52:02 »

Wasn't R2's "terminal" color scheme essentially all black? One might have to get a few parts added on, but pretty sure an all-black scheme could have been made in R2. I have both a rear badge and LED badge in black ano for my Robocop board.

Looking at the thread for the Cybervoyager, the closest would be the black gold colorway and then change the LED badge and the Aluminum Badge both to black. This would have only added $30 to the total. So definitely configurable for all black, and I wouldn't doubt if it was possible for R3.

Offline Keeblet_257

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 15:27:51 »

Looking at the thread for the Cybervoyager, the closest would be the black gold colorway and then change the LED badge and the Aluminum Badge both to black. This would have only added $30 to the total. So definitely configurable for all black, and I wouldn't doubt if it was possible for R3.
judging from my secret intel (graystudios discord) there arent gonna be an all black so good luck getting one good luck

Edit
yes you can buy a black name plate but the midpiece of Black colourway is dark blue/navy and there is no mid piece beeing offered as add ons/extras and there isnt any colour option available that have a black midpiece.
The closest you can get to an all black is getting black upper and lower case from the "shadow" colour and add a name plate while getting a second space65 R3 to swap in a grey midpiece.
For the people that are wondering where I get my info. Its graystdios Discord server. highly recommend checking that server out if you want to stay up to date. Since the colour options beeing offered and the limited customizability of R3 has already been shared there
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 March 2022, 15:37:20 by Keeblet_257 »

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #218 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 17:27:08 »
+1 for hotswap pcb

Offline slywolfz

« Reply #219 on: Sat, 26 March 2022, 15:48:43 »
Really hoping for iso hotswap, especially on such a well known board, but I assume this will be another fixed ANSI layout
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 March 2022, 15:56:05 by slywolfz »

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #220 on: Sun, 27 March 2022, 04:23:02 »
Really hoping for iso hotswap, especially on such a well known board, but I assume this will be another fixed ANSI layout

+1 :thumb:
«How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?»

Offline SpeedRcrX

« Reply #221 on: Sun, 27 March 2022, 05:10:41 »
No iso layout for the hotswap pcb you can only choose if you want a step cap lock or not.

If you want hotswap iso you’ll have to millmax the soldered pcb.

Offline Akele

« Reply #222 on: Sun, 27 March 2022, 11:19:20 »
I would love to see a bluetooth PCB that would be compatible with R2 :)

+1 for Bluetooth.

Offline glibber

« Reply #223 on: Sun, 27 March 2022, 11:56:35 »

+1

I'd prefer to have a solderable PCB, or at least have hotswap just be an option. Would be great if there was any ISO support at all.

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #224 on: Sun, 27 March 2022, 12:58:17 »

+1

I'd prefer to have a solderable PCB, or at least have hotswap just be an option. Would be great if there was any ISO support at all.

+1 :thumb:
«How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?»

Offline MentalistPTS

« Reply #225 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 17:00:18 »
Am I too late for this IC ?

Offline Jho

« Reply #226 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 17:05:50 »
Nope, the group buy has not started yet. There is no certain date yet, but it is thought (at least from what I've seen in the graystudio discord) the group buy might start in the first or second week of April.

Offline Psyquack

« Reply #227 on: Tue, 29 March 2022, 13:33:01 »
Nope, the group buy has not started yet. There is no certain date yet, but it is thought (at least from what I've seen in the graystudio discord) the group buy might start in the first or second week of April.
They just announced this morning via Discord that the group buy will start on April 4th and end on April 18th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cheswick

• https://cheswick.dev/
    • cheswick.dev
« Reply #228 on: Tue, 29 March 2022, 14:08:21 »
any fixes implemented for the always dying leds on the side + ESD protection? Killed my last 2 Space65 cause I touched the case.

Offline VaporKeebs

« Reply #229 on: Thu, 31 March 2022, 04:48:14 »
They just announced this morning via Discord that the group buy will start on April 4th and end on April 18th.

LETS GO! I get paid on April 1st and get 3 paychecks this month. Hot damn! Space65 Robocop is as good as mine and will be an amazing home for GMK Analog Dream Digital Nightmare.

Offline romadee

« Reply #230 on: Sat, 02 April 2022, 08:53:08 »
 :( no split spacebar support

Offline djpratvg

« Reply #231 on: Sun, 03 April 2022, 07:03:57 »
whole else happy to see a r3 happen?

Who could not be happy to see again this beauty?

Offline RomtempWauter

« Reply #232 on: Fri, 08 April 2022, 22:50:41 »
Is the design final? would prefer it to not have fake screw design on the under side also.

« Reply #233 on: Sat, 09 April 2022, 00:08:29 »
Is the design final? would prefer it to not have fake screw design on the under side also.

Absolutely final - GB started a couple days ago lol.

Offline diazel

« Reply #234 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 23:29:49 »
Anyone know why the Space65 r3 is on sale? I feel like the first time I looked it was the full $459 for Soya but now it's $405. Is the GB not going well? Anyone have any detail? I was on the verge of buying the Soya version but then I thought I'd pose the question before I pull the trigger.

Offline khraxion

« Reply #235 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 01:42:38 »
Anyone know why the Space65 r3 is on sale? I feel like the first time I looked it was the full $459 for Soya but now it's $405. Is the GB not going well? Anyone have any detail? I was on the verge of buying the Soya version but then I thought I'd pose the question before I pull the trigger.

It's the price for the whole duration of the GB. The not-on-sale price is for the extras (or at least that's how it was with their previous boards).

Offline Botty212

« Reply #236 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 01:57:28 »
459$ will most likely be the extras/instock price while the 405$ is the discounted GB price.
thats how GBs work, you get a discount from the instock price because you funded the project.

Offline diazel

« Reply #237 on: Wed, 13 April 2022, 04:56:29 »

It's the price for the whole duration of the GB. The not-on-sale price is for the extras (or at least that's how it was with their previous boards).

huh...then my memory is the issue here, not the GB. Very glad to know! order incoming...  :thumb:

Offline EffectMoon

« Reply #238 on: Tue, 21 June 2022, 18:40:25 »
waiting this wonder

Offline hzh0525

« Reply #239 on: Thu, 30 March 2023, 10:52:38 »
So hot! Any R4 in future?

Offline dvllpxe

« Reply #240 on: Thu, 30 March 2023, 11:50:25 »
So hot! Any R4 in future?

god i hope so

Offline Jefff

• jlabs.co
« Reply #241 on: Tue, 04 April 2023, 01:14:29 »
Sounds interesting, what material would this translucent PCB be? CEM-3?