Author Topic: [IC] GMK Vaporwave R2  (Read 88659 times)

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
[IC] GMK Vaporwave R2
« on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 21:20:57 »
GMK Vaporwave R2

Hi everybody,
I've become a bit too busy to continue designing in the mech community. Janglad will be taking over my projects. Follow him at his website  qoda.studio or here on GH for future updates. Please don't hound him to work on every single set, he's already got a lot on his plate. I will be finishing Astral Light and then signing out. Thanks so much. -NP

"Vaporwave is an MX-style keycap set inspired by glitchy aesthetics and holographic anime propaganda."

Vaporwave is back for a second round. Estimated for Q4 2021.

Take part in the survey here: https://forms.gle/M6EGFnKUCjiMwcHj9

* Geekhack account not required for survey

Survey Topics
- Round two color adjustments
- Kitting
- Novelties
- Round one set feedback

Parts of survey are optional. You don't need to be an expert. Explanations, context and references are available in the survey.
Everyone is welcome to take part.

Round two is set to feature a few minor adjustments that are meant to "min max" the design.

But I'd like to get everyone's opinions and suggestions before setting anything in stone.

More renders will be added as kits are finalized (i.e. boards featuring hiragana or novelties)

Vendors:

Novelkeys (NA)

Additional proxies TBD

Kits:

Base (Yet to be finalized)

Hiragana (Coming Soon)

Novelties (Coming Soon)

Extensions, Expansions & Support Kits TBD

* Renders are not indicative of the final design. Final renders will be posted after community feedback.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 January 2022, 14:09:25 by NaturalPack »

Offline frostykoala

• consider Nightlight
    • Check out some Renders :)
Re: GMK Vaporwave R2
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 21:24:24 »
b and f13 avail ; )

Offline BapoDonu

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 21:24:51 »
Nice, will there be a hiragana kit this time as well ?

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 21:32:05 »
F13

Offline joshuarubin

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 21:43:54 »
I want novelties that will match my R1 kit. Love the r1 colors, really don’t think they should be changed.

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 21:44:25 »
I know R1 colors might have been a little hard to read for some people but I feel like that added to its charm, as well as the overall vaporwave/glitchy theme.

Offline Fooblitzky

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 21:54:34 »
This set would look better with lighter/less saturation alpha base color, not the other way around with darker legends.
I like the hot neon pink legends, but alpha base is too dark a color.
The mods are fine as is.

A lighter alpha 'fix' set would be nice.

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 21:55:56 »
Would also prefer old colors.

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 21:57:54 »
Nice, will there be a hiragana kit this time as well ?

Yes definitely.

Offline Nuap

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 22:08:49 »
Nice coverage is base kit, I am sure the price will still be reasonable with a high MOQ.

I submitted the form but I will add it here - I hope this set runs in the original colours.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 22:54:13 »
If you offer a different color for R2, can you run back the Rama X? Since PnC 2 has different colors than 1 Rama is gonna run the leaf n peach caps again.

(Vaporwave X one of my favorite caps)

Offline L4ll1g470r

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 23:07:02 »
Please, God, Norde for this one.

Offline Surostu

• switchkeys.au x keyboardfinder.com
    • keyboardfinder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 23:23:44 »
I look forward to picking up this set, i prefer the new colours, can actually read it which is what stopped me last time.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 23:28:47 »
I've been searching for alternate mods to mix with the set since R1, so I understand the desire for change there. Where the alphas are concerned, I think they are the most vibrant alphas on any GMK set and if you change them at all, it will be over the top and ruin the best part about the set in my eyes.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 23:55:33 »
Sign me up! Though i wish it was in something other then GMK..
"New Novelties" Hopefully GMK isn't still being moronic, and wrongly believe that "sunset" novelty somehow belongs to Laser..
And a survey for putting the hiragana sub legend in the base kit. It sucks having to buy 2 kits.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 April 2021, 00:01:25 by Havattack »

Offline joshuarubin

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 00:07:26 »
I look forward to picking up this set, i prefer the new colours, can actually read it which is what stopped me last time.

I've found this set (R1) impossible to take photos of. It is not hard to read IRL. I really love the original colors, the eye searing pink is amazing. Had you picked up the original colors I'm sure you wouldn't have struggled to read at all.

Offline savageastr0naut

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 00:17:15 »
Yes, my favorite keycap set is back for R2! I love the idea of new novelties. Please, consider offering a deskmat in R2 as well as more collaborations.

Offline Shinigamii

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 01:00:41 »
Little sad that I will not be able to mix the sets due to the color changes, I am curious to see how different the colors will look in person.  I personally like the lighter pink rather than the more vibrant pink, but I think the darker purple could be a good change.  I guess I will have to buy into R2 as well to compare for myself :) Definitely looking forward to the new novelty design and glad to see this set coming back since it was so well received for R1.

Offline andreiborisov

GMK Vaporwave R2
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 05:44:47 »
Since we know how R1 looks in real life, a side-by-side comparison of old vs new colors in the same render would be helpful.

Also please consider mono hiragana alphas
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 April 2021, 08:11:53 by andreiborisov »

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 08:12:22 »
I'd saying changing something from the alphas from R1 is needed. I didn't care that the legends were hard to read, more that it looked sort of washed out in real life.

And please no weeb subs in the base kit.

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 08:27:28 »
Nice.

Offline andreiborisov

[IC] GMK Vaporwave R2
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 08:31:42 »
I prefer new deeper color for modifiers, but strongly against changing the alphas. Vaporwave is supposed to look washed out and dreamy, not neon, so low contrast on alphas is part of the charm for me.

Perhaps, you should postpone the decision until color matching though, if that’s possible.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 April 2021, 18:37:33 by andreiborisov »

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 08:46:29 »
I fully support trying out new colors if it's going to improve the set. How many people are really planning to mix and match with R1? Move forward!

Offline 3yatt

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 09:14:57 »
Man... Today is a good day.

Offline 3yatt

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 09:21:12 »
Will there be a hiragana sub-legend alpha kit?

Offline norb

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 11:46:26 »
r2 in sa profile would be epic but i guess that's not open for discussion?

as an r1 owner, the colors are totally fine for me. hiragana monolegends or a few more novelties may be a buy for me tho, if you keep the colors.

Offline Haunt3d

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 11:57:41 »
Def going to be in for one.

I am very in favor of the proposed changes. Was slightly relieved when I passed on R1 and saw how some of the colors were slightly muted compared to the renders.

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 12:19:54 »
this is a good day.
IC form filled in. both colors should stay as in R1, imo.
thank you so much for R2!

Offline Havattack

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 12:23:29 »
So..... who wants to buy a barely used NovelKeys pbt Vaporwave?....

Offline joshuarubin

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 12:30:16 »
I just want my R1 AESTHETIC key without paying $100 from mm for a used one that's been shined up!

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 12:52:19 »
Please consider the 3 40's keys in base, thank you!

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 13:01:15 »
I would prefer the changes to be pretty noticeable from R1, even another profile but I guess that is out of the question.

I always like when R2, R3 etc have some noticeable differences while keeping the same vibe.
It makes the previous run feel more special, but also gives R1 owners a reason to get the R2.

AESTHETIC Rama Enter key ?  :thumb:

Offline Havattack

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 13:13:31 »

as an r1 owner, the colors are totally fine for me. hiragana monolegends or a few more novelties may be a buy for me tho, if you keep the colors.
SA vaporwave would be so unbelievably awesome.. and not just becasue GMK is a shady, garbage, company.

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 13:36:35 »
If you offer a different color for R2, can you run back the Rama X? Since PnC 2 has different colors than 1 Rama is gonna run the leaf n peach caps again.

(Vaporwave X one of my favorite caps)

Yeah as long everything works out timing/availability-wise, I'm sure we could re-run the Rama X.

Can't say for sure right now though.

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 13:42:01 »
I've been searching for alternate mods to mix with the set since R1, so I understand the desire for change there. Where the alphas are concerned, I think they are the most vibrant alphas on any GMK set and if you change them at all, it will be over the top and ruin the best part about the set in my eyes.

The retina burning alpha legends are for sure my favorite part as well

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 14:15:59 »
"New Novelties" Hopefully GMK isn't still being moronic, and wrongly believe that "sunset" novelty somehow belongs to Laser..
And a survey for putting the hiragana sub legend in the base kit. It sucks having to buy 2 kits.

It's definitely been a tidal wave of GMK and I'll add the suggestion for hiragana to base to the notes.  :thumb:

And for anyone who may have been wondering:
I just want to double down and say that during round 1, I was not forced or coerced to avoid using the sunset by GMK or Mito.

I'm a fan of Laser and, to me, the sunset is sort of like its calling card. Like what the pokeball is to pokemon, putting aside copyrights.

So I decided to use something else. That was the only reason.

(Forgive my ignorance if something has happened regarding this topic since the GB for VW R1)

An this is not a rebuttal to your comment Havattack, just thought it would be good to address the topic if it was brought up.  :)

Thanks for your feedback

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 14:17:23 »
Yes, my favorite keycap set is back for R2! I love the idea of new novelties. Please, consider offering a deskmat in R2 as well as more collaborations.

Definitely considering accessories and collaborations. Will keep everyone posted, provided the opportunities pop up  :thumb:

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 14:20:41 »
Little sad that I will not be able to mix the sets due to the color changes, I am curious to see how different the colors will look in person.  I personally like the lighter pink rather than the more vibrant pink, but I think the darker purple could be a good change.  I guess I will have to buy into R2 as well to compare for myself :) Definitely looking forward to the new novelty design and glad to see this set coming back since it was so well received for R1.

I'm with you on the bright pink. I also think it's pretty cool in person.

Nothing is set in stone yet, though, so for all we know we could end up using the alpha set up  from R1 depending on the community input.

Thanks for your feedback  :thumb:

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 14:26:25 »
Will there be a hiragana sub-legend alpha kit?

Taking into account the theme of the set, the probability is 99.9% yes

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 14:30:00 »

SA is still a possibility, just not this time around.

Fun fact: was considering SA long before GMK for vaporwave. Before the pictures of "holographic" even. I'm a fan of SA so maybe in the future.

Offline Afresh

Re: [IC] GMK Vaporwave R2
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 14:31:35 »
eyes emoji

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 14:33:03 »
I would prefer the changes to be pretty noticeable from R1, even another profile but I guess that is out of the question.

I always like when R2, R3 etc have some noticeable differences while keeping the same vibe.
It makes the previous run feel more special, but also gives R1 owners a reason to get the R2.

Haha will certainly consider a most aesthetic Rama key

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 15:18:28 »
any chance we can see pink accents/space bars.

Offline savageastr0naut

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 15:50:10 »

Definitely considering accessories and collaborations. Will keep everyone posted, provided the opportunities pop up  :thumb:
Awesome, that's great to hear. One of the largest voids from R1 for me was the lack of a matching deskmat. I have found an alternative, but I would like a deskmat with your creativity and design, as the designer of GMK Vaporwave.

Moreover, I'd like to echo the comment about how the R1 pink matches the aesthetic and theme that GMK Vaporwave is going for. As an R1 owner and someone who uses GMK Vaporwave on my daily keyboard, I love it. It's fine, please do not even consider changing it.

Furthermore, as mentioned above by user LXVRGS, please look into the feasibility of pink accents and spacebars. With how successful GMK Vaporwave R1 was and how much this hobby/community has grown since then, I believe it can be done without affecting pricing as much as we may think.

I do have a question though. The renders show icon mods and not icon + text mods like R1. Is that intentional?

Thank You, definite cop of at least like x3 sets of each kit for me haha.
GLWIC

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 18:27:11 »
any chance we can see pink accents/space bars.

Great suggestion

Tried it out while putting together r1. Didn't look as cool as the cyan so it was scrapped.

I'll try to get a render of that in and see how people like it.

Thanks for the feedback

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 18:33:07 »

Awesome, that's great to hear. One of the largest voids from R1 for me was the lack of a matching deskmat. I have found an alternative, but I would like a deskmat with your creativity and design, as the designer of GMK Vaporwave.

Moreover, I'd like to echo the comment about how the R1 pink matches the aesthetic and theme that GMK Vaporwave is going for. As an R1 owner and someone who uses GMK Vaporwave on my daily keyboard, I love it. It's fine, please do not even consider changing it.

Furthermore, as mentioned above by user LXVRGS, please look into the feasibility of pink accents and spacebars. With how successful GMK Vaporwave R1 was and how much this hobby/community has grown since then, I believe it can be done without affecting pricing as much as we may think.

I do have a question though. The renders show icon mods and not icon + text mods like R1. Is that intentional?

Thank You, definite cop of at least like x3 sets of each kit for me haha.
GLWIC

Yeah sorry about the lack of deskmat during r1. Will try to come up with something good.

Glad you like the set you got. Hope the overly bright pink has depreciated your vision as much as it has mine  :thumb:

I appreciate the in-depth comments, so whoever might be reading this, just go all out. Minor details make big differences.

Thanks for your feedback

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 18:41:28 »

Nice haha  :thumb:

Also for the sake of change, maybe consider katakanas sublegends?
Even to run it as a second base kit.

Glad to see that a deskmat is coming this time and new novelties.
Personally I like the new subtle changes with the colors.

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 18:58:51 »

Nice haha  :thumb:

Also for the sake of change, maybe consider katakanas sublegends?
Even to run it as a second base kit.

Glad to see that a deskmat is coming this time and new novelties.
Personally I like the new subtle changes with the colors.

I just finished replying to one of your comments in the astral dark thread haha

I'll look into the katakana subs for sure.

Offline fromscratchusa

• Keyboard Bag Tailor, I work with Keycap Designers.
    • FromScratch - Mechanical Keyboard Bags
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 20:52:34 »
Now this is awesome! Best of luck with the IC

Offline Havattack

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 21:06:14 »

It's definitely been a tidal wave of GMK and I'll add the suggestion for hiragana to base to the notes.  :thumb:

And for anyone who may have been wondering:
I just want to double down and say that during round 1, I was not forced or coerced to avoid using the sunset by GMK or Mito.

I'm a fan of Laser and, to me, the sunset is sort of like its calling card. Like what the pokeball is to pokemon, putting aside copyrights.

So I decided to use something else. That was the only reason.

(Forgive my ignorance if something has happened regarding this topic since the GB for VW R1)

An this is not a rebuttal to your comment Havattack, just thought it would be good to address the topic if it was brought up.  :)

Thanks for your feedback
I feel ya buddy. But just to be clear (for anyone else, as i'm sure you all ready know this) MiTo, in no way, shape, or form created the "sunset" symbol, it existed in retrowave, and ESPECIALLY the vaporwave scene WAY before he decided to use it.
I think that symbol is such a big part of the Vaporwave scene, FAR more then Laser/cyberpunk... that it is a tragedy not to include it.. Maybe in a SA version I guess..
and i second the Katakana request, i think it is such a cool looking alphabet, and i think it fits the vaporwave theme better.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 April 2021, 21:10:32 by Havattack »