Author Topic: IBM PC Model 5150 with IBM F for $100  (Read 5195 times)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
IBM PC Model 5150 with IBM F for $100
« on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 00:36:45 »
It's a complete working IBM PC with a 20MB HD, the Monitor and DOS.  Oh yeah, and a working all-original IBM F:
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/sys/5189573050.html

I bet this is gone because the listing is a month old, but I know Greensboro (good friend lives there), and that town will have almost NO ONE that will even know what this is moreless want to buy it.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: IBM PC Model 5150 with IBM F for $100
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 06:50:32 »
That is awesome. Somebody really needs to get the whole thing. All-IBM and working!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:32:24 »
Whoever gets this please do NOT buy that for just the keyboard!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:35:06 »
Holy ****. I want to just plop that on my desk so I can enjoy it as is.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:37:00 »
Once I finally get a job that actually pays me money I'm going to buy one of those old computers. Must be goddamn awesome :D .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 13:30:31 »
Even though I have an entire room full of computers to restore, I'm tempted to get my friend to box this bad boy up for me and send it to me.  My wife would hate me though...

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 22:07:40 »
This is awesome! I'd love to get it and put it on display when I finally get a place big enough. But right now I'd have nowhere to put it, and the guy's located in Timbuktu.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 08:16:43 »
This is awesome! I'd love to get it and put it on display when I finally get a place big enough. But right now I'd have nowhere to put it, and the guy's located in Timbuktu.
I had an idea a long time ago to create a computer museum, but it seems many have already done this.  At some point, I'll be liquidating all my systems but a few--but I'll probably keep all my Ms! lol!

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 09:20:41 »
I have confirmed that he still has it. I am not an old computer wiz, but it seems something like this is worth it?

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 11:55:39 »
I have confirmed that he still has it. I am not an old computer wiz, but it seems something like this is worth it?
God I wish you hadn't said that.  I even have a UPS account I can use to ship it to me...

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 11:56:47 »
Someone tell me the price is not worth it just for F keyboard alone.  Could I use that keyboard on a modern day system with a ps/2 adapter or are these the older ones that need translation?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 12:53:46 »
Someone tell me the price is not worth it just for F keyboard alone.  Could I use that keyboard on a modern day system with a ps/2 adapter or are these the older ones that need translation?
Nah, the keyboard is about 1/2 to 2/3 of the money. You cannot use this board on a normal computer as it speaks XT, not AT (=PS/2); you'll need a more complex (and expensive) active converter.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 14:21:17 »
Nah, the keyboard is about 1/2 to 2/3 of the money. You cannot use this board on a normal computer as it speaks XT, not AT (=PS/2); you'll need a more complex (and expensive) active converter.
Thank you!  So now I can tell myself why I don't need to buy it.  ;D

Offline Bucake

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 15:03:47 »
imo the converter is quite cheap.. mine was $40 + $10 shipping (from US to NL).
and keep in mind you only need one converter for all your XT boards, forever.
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline engicoder

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 15:04:15 »
I would hop on this, Greensboro is only an hour or so, but I'm already working on another 5150 for a similar price closer to home. Might go for it if this one doesn't work out.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 15:11:08 »
Very tempting indeed, only 2 hours drive.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 16:27:35 »
imo the converter is quite cheap.. mine was $40 + $10 shipping (from US to NL).
and keep in mind you only need one converter for all your XT boards, forever.
Link?
Very tempting indeed, only 2 hours drive.
I would hop on this, Greensboro is only an hour or so, but I'm already working on another 5150 for a similar price closer to home. Might go for it if this one doesn't work out.
I hope someone gets it and gives it a good home.  Fully working piece of history, that's for sure.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Bucake

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 07:11:28 »
yeah, teensy seems to be king. the problem for me is i have no soldering equipment + absolutely 0 sklll and 0 knowledge in soldering in general.
i also have a 0 in coding, so i'm kind of stuck with whatever plug-and-play there is to find.

if you can solder, though.. teensy it up! :P

edit: wow fohat that all-in-one-box is just perfect! i really gotta pick up soldering..
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 October 2015, 07:20:28 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 11:53:58 »
https://www.hagstromelectronics.com/products/ke_xtusb.html
That's awesome!  Thank you!
the problem for me is i have no soldering equipment + absolutely 0 sklll and 0 knowledge in soldering in general.
i also have a 0 in coding, so i'm kind of stuck with whatever plug-and-play there is to find.
I'm not that great at soldering either, and don't have the time or patience for it, so plug and play is what I need too.  And something exists too.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 12:50:12 »
And something exists too.

Orihalcon makes each type of cable connection for IBM Model M/Fs.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 08:14:45 »
So anyone buy this yet?

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 21:14:06 »
Did anyone buy this?  It's still showing on CL.   :eek:

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 10:39:19 »
He still has it. He won't really budge on price.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 11:23:54 »
He won't really budge on price.

Why should he? That is a great price for a working piece of computing history.

It is too bad that shipping has gotten so far out of hand recently, but you can't say that it isn't realistic.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 13:29:38 »
He still has it. He won't really budge on price.
Price is right.  Logistics is the issue or I would've picked it up in a heartbeat.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 13:30:29 »
It is too bad that shipping has gotten so far out of hand recently...
Where?  How?  My UPS rates are still about the same.  :-\

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 10:47:22 »
And this is still listed.  What a steal.  If I only could...

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 17:53:30 »
Not listed anymore.  Anyone here buy it?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 04:43:14 »
Ha ha, a 20MB hard drive. It must be inconceivable to anyone under 30 how such a thing could possibly be useful.

When I ran my (very successful) BBS in California, I used a portable PC with no hard drives, simply a 512K RAM drive in non-volatile memory. When one of our out-of-state callers offered to send me a 10MB (not even 20!) drive, we were delighted, and could only imagine the ways we could expand the forum.

A week later, the doorbell rang. It was the UPS guy with the hard drive. Unfortunately, he was more interested in getting me to sign for the delivery than safely delivering it—and when he carelessly handed me the package, he dropped it. Clang!! Naively, I accepted it anyway, then found it was DOA when I connected it. The sender hadn't bother to insure it, so there was no point in filing a damage claim.

Anyway, that's right, folks: a whole hard drive that holds 20MB. Or even 10MB. That was computing history.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 13:15:45 »
Ha ha, a 20MB hard drive. It must be inconceivable to anyone under 30 how such a thing could possibly be useful.
Or even no hard rive at all, holding the entire operating system on one of the two floppies at <1 MB xD .

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 00:48:12 »

When I ran my (very successful) BBS in California, I used a portable PC with no hard drives, simply a 512K RAM drive in non-volatile memory. When one of our out-of-state callers offered to send me a 10MB (not even 20!) drive, we were delighted, and could only imagine the ways we could expand the forum.

A week later, the doorbell rang. It was the UPS guy with the hard drive. Unfortunately, he was more interested in getting me to sign for the delivery than safely delivering it—and when he carelessly handed me the package, he dropped it. Clang!! Naively, I accepted it anyway, then found it was DOA when I connected it. The sender hadn't bother to insure it, so there was no point in filing a damage claim.

Anyway, that's right, folks: a whole hard drive that holds 20MB. Or even 10MB. That was computing history.

Or even no hard rive at all, holding the entire operating system on one of the two floppies at <1 MB xD .
What amazes me the most is the amount of productivity increases when compared to the improvements in the systems.  I'm still using systems that have 1gb of memory and they still do the basics like word processing the same as old dos systems with 1mb of memory. 

While the hardware has capability an order of magnitude or more compared to yesteryear, the productivity gains are only double or triple (if even that).

Makes you wonder what the future holds and if we'll ever plateau on the productivity while the hardware keeps improving.