Author Topic: Any keyboards other than IQUNIX 96 having KAT keycaps?  (Read 1524 times)

Offline ibmkeyboardsrule

Any keyboards other than IQUNIX 96 having KAT keycaps?
« on: Sun, 18 April 2021, 20:48:32 »
Love the KAT keycaps... typing speed instantly improved 10 extra wpm. But having trouble adjusting to the smaller width zero number key on the number pad of the IQUNIX 96 board that
has said KATs.

Looked on one site having KAT keycaps alone, but they're out of stock.

Anyone know of a full size keyboard (e.g. not 96, but 108, etc. keys) that has KAT caps as stock (default) with the board not having to buy separately?
A bit unsure trying to swap out any other keyboard's stock caps and hoping some KATS I find somewhere will fit perfectly.

I sent for the 108-key IQUNIX slim, but the keys aren't KAT.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 April 2021, 20:47:38 by ibmkeyboardsrule »

Offline Woovie

Re: Any keyboards other than IQUNIX 96 having KAT keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 01:05:29 »
KAT keycaps are really hard to get, let alone on a board already. Don't expect a board with stock KAT keycaps within a year from now, if not longer. Until they get their queue killed and wait time lowered, very unlikely. KAT is presently over a year wait for GBs.

Offline g_hack_it

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 05:41:13 »
You can find a full set of KAT alphas on zFrontier for around $90. I'd suggest finding a keeb with the layout (and switches) you like then tossing a set of those on.

+1 on KAT being awesome though (also helped my wpm & accuracy). ^ That's basically what I did while I wait for KAT cyberspace (currently in pre order on Kono).

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Offline ibmkeyboardsrule

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 20:50:28 »
"+1 on KAT" meaning... you swapped some other keyboard's stock keys with KAT, generally speaking? Or is there a brand actually called +1".
Kat cyberspace... presume lovely-looking caps, though not for a full-sized keeb. Do you suspect nobody makes KAT keys for a full-sized keeb? Seems a bit expensive to hack a solution by buying the IQUNIX 96 keeb (close to a full set of KAT keys) just to have it as a source of KAT Keys to then swap onto my fave full-sized keeb (are the chances truly good said keys will fit well on most mechanical full sized boards?). And just live with several keys remaining in the original fave board (since the IQUNIX lacks them -- but trying to use the fave board's couple-to-few original keys for said gap results in said original keys having lower height and too weird to use. Surely there's a better solution?
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 April 2021, 20:58:55 by ibmkeyboardsrule »

Offline g_hack_it

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 21:17:27 »
Sorry for any confusion. "+1 on KAT being awesome" just meant I agree that KAT is a great profile.

As I mentioned, you can buy a full set of KAT keycaps from zFrontier and put them on any board you want. I got mine here https://en.zfrontier.com/products/in-stock-keyreative-all-touch-kat-alpha-v1-1?variant=32760482857038 and put them on my keychron.

Offline ibmkeyboardsrule

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 21:30:35 »
GREAT JOB on sourcing an apparently full-sized set. Noticed their photo shows it on a Filco. Wow. I guess one doesn't have to worry about whether the KATS are too wide or some other impact and just march right ahead and apparently they'll fit fine on most mechanical boards. Encouraging.

Caught up that although IQUNIX themselves do source a full-sized set of KAT,s they're out of stock.
https://iqunix.store/products/f96-keycaps?variant=32592887775292

QUESTION before you go: those KATs from Zfrontier... did you notice whether the keycap's edges (where the vertical wall of the side meets the top plane of the keycap) are sharp (ouch!) or extra smooth? Costar or all-around edges? The edges from IQUNIX's KATS are extra smooth. Pls let me know re: Zfrontier's KATS in that specific regard.

Do those Zfrontier KAT space bars use Corsair stabilizers (IQUNIX does, which apparently makes it slightly trickier to remove and insert said space bar key).
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 April 2021, 00:00:28 by ibmkeyboardsrule »

Offline ibmkeyboardsrule

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 21:54:18 »
Am wondering whether Zfrontier's space bar key (shown in the first layout immediately below) is the same sized as the area on IQUNIX's S108 layout (shown further below). Since Zfrontier shows two or three variations in size width for said space key, maybe one can email them to specify which (looks like it may be the 6.25c?) -- unless one assumes they send all three automatically?).

Might even press my luck and inquire if Zfrontier has the Mac option/command couple of keys.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 April 2021, 21:58:33 by ibmkeyboardsrule »

Offline g_hack_it

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 22:27:48 »
Re smoothness: All KAT keycaps are made by Keyreative and they're all silky smooth as far as I know.

Re space bar: the set comes with all 3 space bars

Offline ibmkeyboardsrule

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 00:05:07 »
Thanks. Re: IQUNIX using Costar stabilizers in the space key (and maybe another key or two), is it easy to swap out the Costar-stabilized space key for a non-Costar key? Simply popping it out the key, done deal, and inserting some non-Costar space key? No extra wire to mess around, etc. (since we're not having to insert a Costar, just removing it). Or no?

Putting it another way (without requiring assumptions)... because IQUNIX definitely uses costar for its space bar...if I buy that nifty Kat keycap set from Zfrontier, the Zfrontier Kat space bar (not using Costar) isn't (?) compatible on my IQUNIX board(s), correct? In other words, do the keycap sets remain in different families to match boards with vs without costar stabilizers (due to the space key's "+" indents being located (?) in wrong/diff't locations vs. non-costar? In other words, the Zfrontier Kat keycap set does fit in Filco in part because it presumably (?) doesn't use costar stabs, but won't fit in boards using costars? Or am I imagining an issue that doesn't exist?

UPDATE: just found this posting elsewhere: "If your board supports cherry stabilizers, you can't change to Costars unless you get a new plate that has the proper size cutouts." Presume the reverse is also true (?) -- if your board has costar stabs, you can't change to cherry stabs. So -- Zfrontier's Kat keys therefore only can be (easily) used on non-Costar boards. Correct?
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 April 2021, 01:24:43 by ibmkeyboardsrule »

Offline g_hack_it

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 05:46:42 »
Now I'm a bit out of my element as I'm relatively new to the hobby and I have not heard of costar stabs. But what I can say is that the KAT spacebar I got has two different sets of stabilizer stems on the bottom (so a total of 5 holes including the middle one for the switch), so it should work with stabilizers in 2 slightly different positions (but not sure if the 2nd position is for costar stabs).

Hopefully someone else can jump in and help clarify :)

Offline ibmkeyboardsrule

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 16:41:27 »
There's even youtube videos sharing what a nightmare and mistake it is trying to switch between keebs with mx cherry stabs vs costars. The board itself has cherry mx stabs in one section. You just don't mix the two. At all. Closing this thread.