Author Topic: Worst keyboard you ever used, ever?  (Read 32231 times)

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
Worst keyboard you ever used, ever?
« on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 19:55:12 »
My dads old membrane keyboard. It had a big*** enter key and the smallest backspace you'll ever see. I dont have a picture, but it has the cheap feel to it of a 2 dollar dell KB.
hi.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

Re: Worst keyboard you ever used, ever?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 20:11:43 »
My very first computer ever was an Atari 400 with the membrane keyboard.  No, I don't mean a rubber dome keyboard. . .  I mean the kind where you typed directly on the membrane.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 20:12:48 »
Hmm.. I have a few candidates:

1. A ISO layout crammed onto an ANSI keyboard that was clearly inspired by the Mac alu keyboard but with more keys than that one. As ISO has one more key than ANSI, one key has to be sacrificed ... but of all those keys that this keyboard has, the one key that they chose to sacrifice, they chose the friggin Left Shift key !

2. Microsoft Internet Keyboard from around '00 with the "pool of melted ice cream" aesthetic that had a sloping "wrist rest" that you could not actually rest your hands on because it sloped too much and was too slippery. It was detachable, but the blob that was under it was only marginally smaller. Also, really bad key feel.

3. Lenovo Yoga Book. Touch keyboard with backlighting and only haptic feedback... only that the haptic feedback is delayed, so in practice it is nonexistent if you try to type at regular speed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 October 2017, 01:35:22 by Findecanor »

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 20:13:08 »
My very first computer ever was an Atari 400 with the membrane keyboard.  No, I don't mean a rubber dome keyboard. . .  I mean the kind where you typed directly on the membrane.

Show Image

geez, thats painful.
hi.

Offline killyou

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 18:19:07 »
That would be Macbook Pro keyboard. My wife has 2014 or 2015 model and every time I type on it I get an irritating feeling in my fingers due to short travel and it's "crispiness". That's the only keyboard in my computing history since 1992 and Amiga 1200 days that I just refuse to use and I've used a lot of junk over the years.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 October 2017, 18:21:41 by killyou »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 01:50:43 »
The Fold-2000. Jesus, what an epic disaster of a "keyboard".
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 02:08:29 »
Nothing has really compared to those Smith Carona Leaf Springs I had the "luck" to try.

But as far as actual keyboards, the keyboard Apple shipped with their desktops in the mid 2000's. Absolutely some of the worst rubber I've ever tried.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 08:52:57 »
Nothing has really compared to those Smith Carona Leaf Springs I had the "luck" to try.
Oh god yes, definitely a very good second x( .

Offline zars15

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 10:34:08 »
Once I found pretty nice looking cherry branded board. Was excited, until I learned about this switch called "Cherry MY". Oh it's the most horrible thing I've typed on. It's a super awkward mix of rubber dome and spring based switch. Rubber domes feel so damn tactile compared to that mushy mess. Ended up getting rid of that board.

Don't have pictures of the board itself, but a blurry picture of the label:
179403-0

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 10:42:29 »
Once I found pretty nice looking cherry branded board. Was excited, until I learned about this switch called "Cherry MY". Oh it's the most horrible thing I've typed on. It's a super awkward mix of rubber dome and spring based switch. Rubber domes feel so damn tactile compared to that mushy mess. Ended up getting rid of that board.

(Attachment Link)
MY is not rubber dome, it's just a leaf spring. It's absolutely horrid though D: .

Offline Wolf123rt

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 13:22:07 »
Doubt there is anything worse than this

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 14:30:07 »

(Attachment Link)
MY is not rubber dome, it's just a leaf spring. It's absolutely horrid though D: .
MY at least sounds nice, unlike the SC's and the breast implants.

Offline mrhead

• Thread \ (•◡•) / Stopper
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 17:20:34 »
Those rollup silicone keyboards take the cake for me.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 18:36:17 »

But as far as actual keyboards, the keyboard Apple shipped with their desktops in the mid 2000's. Absolutely some of the worst rubber I've ever tried.

****!  I just found one of these at a recycling center. I should have snapped a pic for you  ^-^

Offline Diserasta

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 18:39:02 »

Oh jeez, those things. They were the cause of much wrist pain back when my uncle had one. They can absolutely get piped.

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 18:52:28 »
At my work we have a sterile environment but still have to use keyboards to input stuff. We have a strong arm brand interface in each room that has an ortholinear style "membrane" like keyboard, except it takes about 300+ grams of force to actuate. I can deal with the ortholinear part, I like that, but the actually trying to type part is very difficult.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 19:06:26 »
My worst was when I was teaching at the community college.  They had podiums with built-in A/V and computers.  There was a keyboard built into the fold-down shelf.  It was horrible.  I seriously feel sick thinking about it.  It was very thick rubber (solid for water resistance i guess) with raised sections for the keys.  Oh my god it was the worst piece of **** keyboard I've ever laid hands on.  The keys were even smaller than standard size with extra space between each key.  And of course, tiny, non-standard arrow keys and home bock.  You had to press so hard it was impossible to touch type.  Barf. 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 20:22:50 »

They don't get much worse than that. I have one rolled up in the garage in case I ever have to type under water.

I had a "Logic Controls" commercial keyboard with metal domes, intended for restaurants and the like. It was probably indestructible but horrific to use.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 20:43:59 »
Agreed. I've got a yellowed one just like this at work sitting on a bench and it is foul to touch. The rubber is so slow to bounce back.

Runner up goes to the brand new, mega-mass-produced basic ***** HP keyboards that ship with the computers. The plastic is thin, gritty, cheap as hell. The typing sensation is completely lackluster, the keyboard weighs nothing and flexes easily. They should have put in an extra dollar to provide something I won't hate and associate with their brand forever.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 21:50:42 »
You mean you don't already hate HP for their ****ty printers?

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 01:17:03 »
179450-0
Do I need to say more?
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 01:18:01 »

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 01:19:45 »
(Attachment Link)
Do I need to say more?

Ouch, that's sad.
Ouch is right. Typing directly on wood doesn't feel very nice pretty quickly.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 01:50:02 »
(Attachment Link)
Do I need to say more?
Haha, yeah, those definitely shouldn't be left out xD .

Offline elmwood

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 08:54:01 »
Aside from the Atari 400, the Atari 1040ST I had back in the 1980s had a foul keyboard. The worst conventional non-membrane, non-chiclet, non-industrial, non-on-screen keyboard ever, IMHO.  Even third party spring kits didn’t help — they added a bit more resistance, but that’s all.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 10:36:31 »
That's odd.  I remember rather liking the keyboard on my Atari 520ST.  Now, keep in mind that I was no keyboard connoisseur in those days.  I think the main reason I liked it was because it had so many more keys than my Atari 800XL!  More keys is more better, right?

additional thought. . .   The ST computers were all about getting more for your money.  More RAM per dollar.  More MHz per dollar.  More keys per dollar.  And if it was all flimsy crap, what of it?  As long as it was running circles around the PC clones, which it did, that was what I cared about at the time.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 October 2017, 10:44:18 by Zobeid Zuma »

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 11:14:24 »

Me too! I liked the machine - was very cool at the time, but the keyboard was a killer. I eventually moved up to an Atari 800, a better keyboard for sure and as the box said: "Now with 48K RAM!".

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 13:37:51 »
Oh, and a good runner up is Alps if they're in bad shape. I tried some abused n' dirty SKCM Whites and it was horrific.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 05:44:45 »
Here is another contender.

179557-0

I should point out that this keyboard was intended for special needs, like those unable to use a traditional keyboard due to the lack of digits or lack of control of said digits. Either way, it is a $400 dual arcade stick shaped like mice, which you type with.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 October 2017, 05:46:16 by rich1051414 »

Offline zslane

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 12:28:44 »
I'd say it's a tie between the cheap chiclet bluetooth keyboards for iPad and the IBM Model M.

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 12:50:21 »
I'd say it's a tie between the cheap chiclet bluetooth keyboards for iPad and the IBM Model M.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 16:12:56 »

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 17:30:58 »

hmmmmm, no need to say more.

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 18:20:37 »
Half of the responses are missing the point imho. Right tools for the job and all that. You aren't supposed to type essays and **** on pocket or kiosk keyboard, but they're better than nothing in an environment, where there's nothing better.

Like, for example, those foldable keyboards. I used to have one; took it on a trip with a PDA, so that I could take / look up short notes without having to peck on a software keyboard… I simply didn't have the space for a proper keyboard and couldn't afford a good pocket one (such as Logitech diNovo mini) at the time.

If I had to pick the worst desktop keyboard, I don't know… there are way too many annoying ones that I wouldn't want to use.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 20:34:55 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 01:27:17 »
Show Image

wot
It's being sold right now on ebay.de as "slightly melted" xD .

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 01:50:27 »

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 01:52:46 »
Reminds me of the time I retrobrighted in my oven... then my brother came through and preheated the oven to cook himself a pizza...

To explain, on the lowest possible temp, the oven is the perfect temp to retrobright. However, I would not recommend for the above reason...

Offline Timpanogos Slim

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 02:03:02 »
y'all don't even know. Things were bad in the bad old days.

I recall in about 1991 i used a laptop of sorts that had keys spaced so close together that they could get stuck under each other.

other than that, I'm pretty sure i used a packard bell keyboard in the early 90's that had a resistance that felt a bit like driving a toothpick through styrofoam, with the same sort of squeak.

And then in about 1997 Compaq started shipping keyboards where the space bar was split in half and the left hand portion was a backspace. For people who make a ****ton of typos i guess.

At the time i was a traveling troubleshooter for a niche software company and one of our customers had bought a ton of those machines. It's hard enough to type with an angry customer leaning over your shoulder without accidentally backspacing over your typing. So much rage.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 October 2017, 02:10:43 by Timpanogos Slim »

Offline Timpanogos Slim

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 02:14:35 »

I tried kinda hard to buy one of these off a neighbor in about 1989. He wanted more than i could come up with.

That was before i had strong feelings about keyboards though.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 02:32:07 »
Reminds me of the time I retrobrighted in my oven... then my brother came through and preheated the oven to cook himself a pizza...
Ouch.

I once customised a plastic toy gun with some Sculpey, and was stupid enough to think that I could cure the Sculpey -- on the gun -- without melting the plastic.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 09:57:50 »
And then in about 1997 Compaq started shipping keyboards where the space bar was split in half and the left hand portion was a backspace. For people who make a ****ton of typos i guess.

Shouldn't that be listed under a "best keyboard" thread?  Every keyboard should have a split space bar with backspace on the left!  It's just so obviously a better place for that key.

I think the only reason this didn't catch on and become standard is because it was patented in 1996 and trademarked as Erase-Eaze.  That patent was surely bogus, or else everyone would file for a patent every time they change a keyboard layout or move any key to a more convenient location.  However, challenging even a ridiculous patent costs a buttload of money, and it seems like nobody was willing to tackle it.

Since patents expire after 20 years, I expect an upwelling of new split-spacebar keyboards Real Soon Now.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 16:55:30 »
AFAIK, not all of these keyboards have had a switch for swapping Eraze-Ease and Space Bar.

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 18:30:18 »
I picked up a Logitech K400 Plus to use with my Steam link. It's easily the most unsatisfying keyboard I've ever used. It feels like I'm typing on wet paper towels, but I deal with it because I don't want to buy a bluetooth mech just to play the handful of games that I do on it.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 05:37:55 »
I picked up a Logitech K400 Plus to use with my Steam link. It's easily the most unsatisfying keyboard I've ever used. It feels like I'm typing on wet paper towels, but I deal with it because I don't want to buy a bluetooth mech just to play the handful of games that I do on it.
I have a different model, don't want to hunt it down, but I don't remember it being horrible. Pretty sure it used laptop style scissor switches. Did they change that for their new wireless keyboards?

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 17:10:16 »
I guess so. I just popped a key off it and it's definitely a low-profile rubber dome.

Offline MrBeefy

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 17:15:54 »
I think the worst keyboard I have used are the new wireless apple keyboards.  As they are quite slick looking, I cannot stand the lack of button travel.  This goes double for the keyboards on the new apple powerbooks as well.    Give me one of their old A1016's anyday. 

Offline Data

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 08:06:01 »
HHKB

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 15:12:04 »

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 18:02:22 »
HHKB /savage

No but, really, Dell is pumping out these new light gray chiclet-style "keyboards". We have them at the office and it barely manages to register keystrokes. So backspace is the key used most on those ones. What ware they thinking at Dell? Also, why don't my colleagues complain?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g