Author Topic: Aftermarket topre keys not "clicking" in.  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Porkins

• HHKB Pro
Aftermarket topre keys not "clicking" in.
« on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:41:31 »
I purchased a couple artisan keycaps and none of them seem to want to click in place, so at random times the keycap will just pop off while I'm typing or gaming. I am relatively new to this keyboard (HHKB); am I just not pushing down hard enough or is this pretty normal for aftermarket keycaps? They are 3d printed keycaps from two different vendors, if that makes a difference.
Custom KC60

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Aftermarket topre keys not "clicking" in.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:42:31 »
Sounds like the caps stem isn't quite right.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:45:15 »
Yeah some aftermarket caps tend to have this problem. Some is too short, some is too tall.

I placed mine on F row most of the time so they're just there for the looks most of the time.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:46:42 »
The stem is probably not to spec, since they are 3D printed, which would make it nigh impossible to get them to fully snap into place.

FYI, please don't feel like I'm criticizing you for making a new thread, but I wanted to give you and others some suggested reading, as newer members.

There is a Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP) thread by CPTBadAss, so that you don't have to make a new thread for every question. And you can always check out my *** RECOMMENDED READING *** and Super Awesome Tools and Resources Made By Users! threads for more!

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Polymer

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:35:35 »
Brobots don't click into place...which is fine..I wouldn't want to risk breaking the stem...Not sure why you'd type with these though..

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:02:10 »
Unlike MX stems which are more of a friction fit, the Topre stems do click into place as you know. I can only assume this is much harder to cast/mold properly, so it's either intentionally altered or the casts just don't have the necessary dimensions to click. Regardless, this is very common with artisan caps; I basically never expect them to click and am pleasantly surprised when they do.  :)

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:11:24 »
Brobots don't click into place...which is fine..I wouldn't want to risk breaking the stem...Not sure why you'd type with these though..
Every Bro Cap I've had has snapped into place. You may have an isolated issue.

Offline btctopre

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:27:24 »
Every Bro Cap I've had has snapped into place. You may have an isolated issue.
most of the older ones i've had didn't snap into place, and they were fairly loose to where you could pull them off the keyboard without needing a cap puller. the newer ones (post stem re-make sometime around rainbow sale/easter) have snapped-in and held solid enough that you could pick up the entire keyboard by holding onto just the one cap.

for other makers- clack skulls can also be pretty loose (have been able to pull most of them off with fingers), kwk mummies pre stem-change can pop off while typing, and binge's old topres are clickers (but might be fragile due to lack of center support).

Offline Porkins

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:43:31 »
The stem is probably not to spec, since they are 3D printed, which would make it nigh impossible to get them to fully snap into place.

FYI, please don't feel like I'm criticizing you for making a new thread, but I wanted to give you and others some suggested reading, as newer members.

There is a Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP) thread by CPTBadAss, so that you don't have to make a new thread for every question. And you can always check out my *** RECOMMENDED READING *** and Super Awesome Tools and Resources Made By Users! threads for more!

No worries, I should have thought to look there before making a new thread.

Thanks for all the answers guys.
Custom KC60

Offline CaplockJack

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:43:49 »
I purchased a couple artisan keycaps and none of them seem to want to click in place, so at random times the keycap will just pop off while I'm typing or gaming. I am relatively new to this keyboard (HHKB); am I just not pushing down hard enough or is this pretty normal for aftermarket keycaps? They are 3d printed keycaps from two different vendors, if that makes a difference.

Which artisans?

Offline Porkins

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:46:57 »

Which artisans?

The XX7 caps I purchased have a good hold, just no audible click when they are put into place. The Cthulu keycap I purchased off of shapeways on the other hand can be pulled off with my finger tips with almost no resistance.
Custom KC60

Offline CaplockJack

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 13:05:07 »
Thanks.