Author Topic: [IC] Prominence 68 (Formerly Infinity-68) - Prototype ordered  (Read 18616 times)

Offline Arezok

• Formerly pbplyr38
The Prominence 68 

This is a redesign of my previous project - The OIL-68/Infinity-68.  While it borrows a lot from that design, I decided to change the name yet again to Prominence 68 due to the separation of the key groups and how the escape key sits above the rest of the board.  What I present here is largely the finished design.

Specs:

Mounting Type: Top Mount

Layout: ANSI

Typing Angle: 7 Degrees

Materials: Aluminum (Case) and Brass (Weight, Plate, Accents)

Colors:
Case:
- Black
- White
- Navy Blue
Weight:
-PVD Clear

PCB: Designed by Gondolindrim
- USB-C
- QMK/Via
- Stepped Caps Lock Support
- Split Backspace Support
- Default kit comes with Solderable PCB.
- Hotswap PCBs will be offered as an additional purchase option. 

Price: TBD.  Looking at measures to bring price below $500. The issue is the sheer quantity of brass needed to create the accent plate.

Timeframe: TBD.  Given slow shipping speeds and reduced manufacturing capacities right now, I’m not comfortable putting a definite timeframe on it quite yet...

Quantity: 150 (50 black, 50 white, 50 navy blue)

Render Album:
https://imgur.com/a/6nsOjok

Special Thanks to:
Gahhbage
For providing inspiration and input during the initial concept and design and for continuing to provide feedback throughout.  I'm looking forward to working with you on future boards!
Gondolindrim
For taking the project on and teaching me the ins and outs of pcb design in the process. 
DaleSnail
For providing his time to answer my numerous questions in addition to the tons of renders I made him do over and over again. 

Contact Info:
Discord: Arezok#6945
Geekhack: Arezok
Reddit: /u/Arezok

5/23 Edit: First off, I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to respond to the Interest Check form.  While I've been silent, I've not been absent from reading everyone's comments and I found a common theme...There was an overwhelming number of people requesting hotswap.  So Gondolindrim and I talked about adding it to the board.  Ultimately, he agreed to design a new hotswap PCB that we will offer during the group buy to be purchased as an extra while the default board will be shipped with a solderable PCB..  The decision to leave hotswap out of the plans for the board was the result of a few thoughts. 
1: My initial concern was that the removal of all of the switches would cause the pcb to fall down to the bottom of the case, rendering the "hotswap" function useless.  While this is true, I was overlooking the fact that a significant reason hotswap is popular is that a majority of people don't have a soldering station or experience soldering. 
2: Gondolindrim and I both felt there would be a large amount of support for the variable switch plate, which makes implementing the hotswap sockets more difficult to accomplish.  We had expected some requests for hotswap, but not nearly as many as we received.

8/20 Edit: Name Change to Prominence 68.  Colors/quantities have been set at 150 total boards (50 in black, 50 in white, 50 in navy blue).  Prototype is en route.  I will provide notes and pictures once I get a chance to assemble it.

« Last Edit: Fri, 28 August 2020, 15:47:49 by Arezok »

Offline Arezok

• Formerly pbplyr38
Re: [IC] Infinity 68
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 19:51:07 »
Reserved

Offline Alessio

• YT Channel
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 19:51:43 »
eh

Offline mydens

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 19:53:16 »
The Esc key is so awkward.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 19:55:55 »
no hotswap? :(

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 20:09:28 »
GlwIC!  :thumb:

Offline yui_

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 20:29:51 »
Do you have any reasoning for seperating the Esc key? Doesn't make it look particularly better IMO and makes it very awkward to use...
GLwIC tho!

Offline Inner-Ear

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 20:35:05 »
Soooo...put the Esc in its proper place and start the GB today

Offline Aloyz0991

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 20:40:20 »
Yeah **** the haters, I'll take one as is!

Offline adamjohari

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 20:58:15 »
Esc key is kinda awkward. The lines surrounding the keys, not too sure how I feel about that...
After | KBD8X Mk2 | Prophet | Ducky One 2 Mini

GMK Laser | ePBT Kon MoMo | Infinikey Port | Sanctuary Rebirth PBT | GMK Deep Navy

Offline logo4poop

• Talk to me on discord @logoooo
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 21:27:13 »
Insert social distancing pun
LCK75 so lit

Offline Ren_Kaos

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 21:28:38 »
I really love this design! Definitely don’t mind the offset escape, it’s something different and helps the board stand out.

Offline dangboy

• yes
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 21:46:28 »
Looks like I'm in the minority but I'm hella digging the Esc placement

Offline thejuicebox

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 21:56:57 »
i love the escape key and im in love with this board! thought id be in for the green but black and smoke grey really steal the show, count me in if when it goes all the way!

Offline reaLFX

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 22:12:23 »
Would love a hotswap version

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 23:54:57 »
Very interesting looking, I'll keep an I on that

Offline baoduy23

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 01:36:23 »
Please no raffle or limit to 100

Offline vaf1en

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 04:01:34 »
Since the placement of the escape key seems so polarizing, I think you should embrace that fact and call the board the 'Escape 68'.
By doing so you will have stated right off the bat that the placement is not up for debate and that the separation is a driving feature of the design/board.

EDIT: Also, I think Infinity might be a little too close to Infinitum and Infinikey.

Offline quadrotiles

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 04:09:33 »
The offset escape key is definitely cool and makes this board stand out from other designs :)

Offline ergusto

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 05:56:30 »
Another lover of the ESC key placement here. Really adds to the keyboard's unique feel and seems to play quite nicely with and mirror the placement of the arrow keys.

Filled the interest check, would join the group buy in an instant. Love the art-deco-y feel to this board.

Offline Arezok

• Formerly pbplyr38
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 08:41:29 »
The Esc key is so awkward.

Do you have any reasoning for seperating the Esc key? Doesn't make it look particularly better IMO and makes it very awkward to use...
GLwIC tho!

Sorry to hear it's not your cup of tea!  It was moved there for a few reasons:
1 - I don't use the `~ key since I don't do any programming, so I took it out.  I also didn't want the Esc key right next to my "1" key, so I moved it out to provide separation
2 - It provides a sense of separation without chunking the board up too much and works to balance the separated clusters on the right side
3 - I just like how it looks.  It's unique and I think funky keyboards are kind of awesome!

no hotswap? :(

No, sorry!  For a little backstory, this board started off as a personal project for my friend and myself to produce two keyboards - 1 for each of us.  Since neither of us wanted hotswap, I did not design the mounting to accommodate it.  Unfortunately, I don't foresee this being revised to hotswap.  If there's a round 2, I will look into making this change though!

Edit: Gondolindrim and I had a quick discussion earlier about this.  It seems like a majority of the feedback asked for hotswap, so in order to make the board more accessible, we're working on implementing it as an addon.  I'll update the main post once I have more details on that!

« Last Edit: Thu, 21 May 2020, 16:08:57 by Arezok »

Offline ryanmozo

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 09:20:08 »
I really like the design of the board and all its features. I do, however, think the rename probably wasn't the best choice as there is an "Infinitum" board on GB right now with almost the same logo too. Might just want to keep that in mind or reach out to eniigma.

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 11:02:35 »
I'm not into that "Esc" key placement, being myself a heavy Vim user, but good look with the IC, regardless.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 12:37:00 »
I really like the design of the board and all its features. I do, however, think the rename probably wasn't the best choice as there is an "Infinitum" board on GB right now with almost the same logo too. Might just want to keep that in mind or reach out to eniigma.

Input Club also did the Infinity 60% a couple years back now.

Otherwise, super interesting board!

Offline werc

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 14:02:34 »
Really cool design. I like it a lot. Count me in for round 2 if you add hotswap (bummed but understand your explanation for not having hotswap for this group buy).

Offline asciisii

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 14:10:36 »
Not a huge fan of the re-name due to reasons prior mentioned. But, really love the design (the escape key in particular lol, i think its unique).

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 20:46:43 »
This is the best redesign I’ve ever seen. I couldn’t be more blown away at how good this looks. That green is also a looking clean. I’ve always wanted a green ranger board. Anyway I hope everyone else is as impressed as I am.

Offline sm7b

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 22:44:36 »
Love this design!

Offline Antvn84

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 23:51:32 »
lovely, reserved

Offline Rew23

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 01:17:06 »
Been following this since you started the original thread. Absolutely in love with the design. I personally love the Esc key placement and seperation. It looks totally unique and its a good use of space given your goals. Also hot damn on that navy with Silver PVD brass, absolutely beautiful. Definitely interested in this and really hope it makes it through to GB.

Offline Ryojin

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 21:15:45 »
Might be a bit of a hot take, but is there any chance that you might consider adding a bit of bezel for the arrow keys? I really dig the separated key clusters (especially that esc key) but the bezels look kinda funky, and the arrow keys in particular seem to have barely any bezel below them at all in the renders. Not a great solution (potential to interfere with wrist rests and accessories and such) but I was thinking maybe implementing something similar to what they did for the Elongate 1800?

Also, forgive me if I missed this in the earlier IC or on this thread, will we have a choice for accent color? The renders gallery seems to indicate that we will, but just wanted to confirm  ;D

All-in-all, great board and keep up the good work! Waiting for further announcements  :thumb:

Offline reaLFX

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 23:07:13 »
great to hear about a hotswap addon.

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 03:33:29 »
Interesting design, but I like it. Hot-swap option would be preferable.

Dark grey with Silver weight ;)

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 03:56:25 »
What about an Eu proxy?

Offline Arezok

• Formerly pbplyr38
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 16:40:48 »
First off, I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to respond to the Interest Check form.  While I've been silent, I've not been absent from reading everyone's comments and I found a common theme...There was an overwhelming number of people requesting hotswap.  So Gondolindrim and I talked about adding it to the board.  Ultimately, he agreed to design a new hotswap PCB that we will offer during the group buy to be purchased as an extra while the default board will be shipped with a solderable PCB..  The decision to leave hotswap out of the plans for the board was the result of a few thoughts. 

1: My initial concern was that the removal of all of the switches would cause the pcb to fall down to the bottom of the case, rendering the "hotswap" function useless.  While this is true, I was overlooking the fact that a significant reason hotswap is popular is that a majority of people don't have a soldering station or experience soldering. 

2: Gondolindrim and I both felt there would be a large amount of support for the variable switch plate, which makes implementing the hotswap sockets more difficult to accomplish.  We had expected some requests for hotswap, but not nearly as many as we received.

Offline Convergence

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 10:45:50 »
Loved the OIL-68 as soon as I saw it so I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Offline youngano

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 01:24:22 »
Love the escape key, it gives a unique vibe. Was wondering if there were any updates

Offline CrescentKick

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 19:04:53 »
I'm Really pulling for green.  This is an excellent start for a Triforce of Courage board

Offline davisthegreat

• 3DKeebs
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 23:24:56 »
I like this alot, I agree with a name change maybe - infinity is used a lot and this is a very distinct board. Im in.

Offline ever9415

• EVER STORY
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 16:42:57 »
This is very good.
When do you expect GB to start?

Offline zedbraxmen

• Sheesh
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 20:08:17 »
I like the overall look, and I love the esc key. I'm just not sure how I feel about the lines 'outlining' the group of keys (hope I described it right). Maybe it would be better if the outlines were not as thick?

HHKB Kei | Constellation

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 20:38:25 »
Vim users hate this one, weird trick
  :p

In all seriousness, this whole thread is focused on that pesky esc keys -- it's not that strange
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline CrimHaxx

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 21:03:59 »
The black alu and black pvd render looks gorgeous!

Personally I think the separated ESC key is a great way to show off an artisan  :thumb:

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
    • Ashkeebs Lubing Service & Shop
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 01:25:15 »
I love it and want it. Will be keeping an eye on this project, this is a really nice aesthetic.

Offline Arezok

• Formerly pbplyr38
Re: [IC] Prominence 68 (Formerly Infinity-68)
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 07:06:40 »
Hey all, quick update on a few items:
  • Name Change to Prominence 68.  Last one, I promise.
  • White, Black, and Navy Blue were pretty clear favorites.
  • I'll have 150 boards produced, with 50 being in white, 50 in black, and 50 in navy blue.  Depending on how this run goes, I might look at a smaller run in green and/or red.
  • Prototype (in e-white) is en route.  I will provide notes and pictures once I get a chance to assemble it

Thanks for the support and patience everyone!

Offline mytommy

Re: [IC] Prominence 68 (Formerly Infinity-68) - Prototype ordered
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 13:50:59 »
I'd hope there is another color in off-white or cream.

Offline eczactly

Re: [IC] Prominence 68 (Formerly Infinity-68)
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 15:06:40 »
  • Name Change to Prominence 68.  Last one, I promise.

Thanks for the support and patience everyone!

Should you maybe call it Promise 68?

Offline Contrakey

• Contrakey
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 15:12:52 »
Giving the option for other accent plate colors would be nice. Especially one that matches the body.

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 20:34:38 »
Will there be anymore bottom row layout options?