Author Topic: [Review] Varmilo VA68M  (Read 12030 times)

Offline Erzegovaz

[Review] Varmilo VA68M
« on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 13:37:21 »

Hi guys. This is my review for my Varmilo VA68M arrived 1 week ago. I organized a groupbuy directly from Varmilo with some Italian friends and finally we have this fantastic keyboard in hand.
I want to thank all Varmilo stuff, especially Chyntia, for great great support and for a lot of funny chat!
They are really helpful and pleasant!

First impression? Just WOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWOW   :cool: ;D ;D
So let`s start!  :thumb:

Package & Bundle

So impressive, we receive the keyboard in a beautiful white matte box with chromatic glossy Varmilo logo. Inside you can find a lot of stuff, different for any bundle that I ever opened:
- keyboard
- cable
- key-puller
- manual
- some spare switch
- PVC cover

Build quality & alu case

Overall the quality is super high, no words are necessary. The keyboard is sturdy, heavy, not a minimum defect on the case and on the plate. I wanna specify that all the keyboard are built hand by hand, you make the order and they send to builders with your specific request (color of the case, keycaps scheme, switch, led ecc…). For example for all this 7 keyboard we don`t want the logo in front and the circle on WIN key like all community are searching (thumbs up minimal design).

The case is closed with 8 screw and is really really solid, no bend, no twist, no weird sound…and take a look inside! The PCB is perfect for me, no residue, no dust, no defects. These guys did a great job! BTW I was expecting something like that from this Company!

There are 4 feet, that make really stable on the desk and don’t allow movement around. The little leg can raise your keyboard to improve the comfort.

In our group we can compare to Leopold FC660M, Varmilo V87, Corsair K90, Sharkoon MK80, Ducky mini YOTH, Novatouch, Leopold FC750R, Razer Blackwidow and nothing is like this. We are really satisfied!

The basic choose for alu case are space grey, silver, electric blue and now other color (anodization) like pink, gold are coming. They are also developing new case with some different material like zinc and magnesium.  This company is growing so well, need just more market outside Asia…the custom fee is the main problem.

Keycaps & Stabs

The keycaps are PBT dye sub, they are well finished, no defects, thick and the porosity is perfect for me. I can spend minutes just touching slowly the caps :P
I can easy compare with some IMSTO caps that I have on my other keyboard, they feel really premium!
The legend is smooth and linear and like the case, they are totally customizable in so many color and different dye sub option.
You need a lot of force for remove the keycaps, they are really precise.

(Varmilo vs Ducky mini vs Corsair)

The stab are cherry style, well lubed, smooth, really perfect sound (better than on my Leopold fc660m). If you put a thick soft pad (like that you use for clean LCD screen) the sound of typing became incredible, really near HHKB orgasm sound. {cherry brown}

Features

Since the caps are dye-sub the LED lights are a little “weird”, because the plate is frosted and the light comes out like a shadow (I enjoy this effect).
I think this choice is really good, because if you want dye sub caps you usually avoid the light, but in this case you can choose the color you want and then just turn on/off for your pleasure.
There are 4 different level of luminosity and breath mode with different speed.

Conclusion

So, why I choose this specific keyboard? And why would you choose this?
A lot of reason:
- Compact layout, but with arrow and other 4 keys
- Top quality in cherry market
- Full customizable option
- PBT dye sub stock caps
- LED
- Alu case
- Best bundle
- Upgrade of the fantastic Leopold FC660M
- It’s gorgeous :ugeek:

Some photos of Varmilo:

Hope you enjoyed, see u next time!

Offline mousouchop

Re: [Review] Varmilo VA68M
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 15:55:25 »
Nicely timed. I've been looking at this keyboard a bit. It's nice to know you can work with the company to customize your board. I am a Mac user-- I assume they'd do blanks there.

What about cap colors? I know I see all sorts of colors on TaoBao... would they do even those special colors? Possibly alternate colors for modifier keys? (There's prefab ones like that on TaoBao too).

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 16:38:24 »
Just out of curiosity, how many of you took part to this GB and how much did you individually save?
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline mousouchop

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 17:58:26 »
Just out of curiosity, how many of you took part to this GB and how much did you individually save?

I forgot to add this question. I'm curious about this as well. This board appears to have been on Massdrop before; wonder how cheap it was with their volume.

Offline dante

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 18:03:45 »
Curious ... How do you access the Home/End Keys? FN+PageUp/Down?

What's curious about the MassDrop Varmilo drops is how weird the switch options are.  For example certain switches will only be available on certain layouts (68, 87, 108).  I had given up but for a while I was waiting for a Varmilo 87 with Tactile Grey's and they only offer the Linear variant.

Offline Erzegovaz

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 06:06:19 »
Nicely timed. I've been looking at this keyboard a bit. It's nice to know you can work with the company to customize your board. I am a Mac user-- I assume they'd do blanks there.

What about cap colors? I know I see all sorts of colors on TaoBao... would they do even those special colors? Possibly alternate colors for modifier keys? (There's prefab ones like that on TaoBao too).
Yes they have a lot of combination that u can choose and u can also choose the different dye sub legend (obviously) darker than the caps. Anyway weird color cost more (I asked for grass green for example)...but the 2 color dye sub set will cost you around 55$, so is so good if u buy in group for share the shipping.
They have also blank set and u can request particular caps (one by one)...for example I request 1 left shift for my friend that lost it.

Offline Erzegovaz

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 06:14:40 »
It wasn`t a real real groupbuy, we are just 5 people :D But u know how it's works with keyboard in Italy.  :'( Early, it was hard for me organize all...skype conversation with customer, 45 email and coordinate the guys in the group.

Btw we didn's save nothing in reality, because the shipping with safe courier and custom fee destroy the super convenience of basic price (186$). Then u can add particolarly switch (green, grey, clear) with other $ and add weird type of dye sub or add different case (like electric blue). So in the end wasn`t super cheap, but if u think at all accessories, u can understand everything...and now with keyboard in hand we are really satisfied and we think that it was worth it.  :thumb:

Offline Erzegovaz

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 06:20:38 »

I forgot to add this question. I'm curious about this as well. This board appears to have been on Massdrop before; wonder how cheap it was with their volume.
The problem is that on massdrop u can configurate everything and the volume is moooore high than this. We did some calculation and the price was almost the same with our configuration shipped from china. The problem it`s just the Italy or Eu custom, this is why we have a lot of trouble here. =(

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 08:09:07 »
It wasn`t a real real groupbuy, we are just 5 people :D But u know how it's works with keyboard in Italy.
That's the very reason I was asking. It's nonetheless impressive to find five people around here and organize a collective buy. You did a great job.

Offline HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 08:31:09 »
Varmilo is a great keyboard for sure, they know how to produce premium keyboards :cool:

With their new box packaging increase the premium looks value!

Nice review anyway :thumb:

Offline Erzegovaz

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 11:26:54 »
Varmilo is a great keyboard for sure, they know how to produce premium keyboards :cool:

With their new box packaging increase the premium looks value!

Nice review anyway :thumb:
Yeah, the package is amazing! :D
BTW, Man I`m still waiting ur package from the other little little groupbuy, can you check ur email pls? :D

Offline Erzegovaz

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 11:29:13 »
It wasn`t a real real groupbuy, we are just 5 people :D But u know how it's works with keyboard in Italy.
That's the very reason I was asking. It's nonetheless impressive to find five people around here and organize a collective buy. You did a great job.
Yeah, thanks! Now I'm organizing from Pexon, for a bunch of cable, if u wanna join. :D

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 14:26:56 »
I'm organizing from Pexon, for a bunch of cable, if u wanna join. :D
Depending on the cables, I might be interested. Will you post the available options somewhere?

Offline Erzegovaz

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 06:05:19 »
I'm organizing from Pexon, for a bunch of cable, if u wanna join. :D
Depending on the cables, I might be interested. Will you post the available options somewhere?
Send u in PM the link :D

Offline ykilroy

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 22:33:35 »
good review. I'm interested in it.
Linger, Al-65, M5-92, LSv2