Author Topic: Just got IBM Model M Space Saver  (Read 3984 times)

Offline rdjack21

Just got IBM Model M Space Saver
« on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 22:20:32 »
I snaged a IBM Model M Space saver on ebay for a good price and just received it today.

Having not touched a BS board in about 4 months typing on it was a real pleasure for about an hour :) Then my fingers reminded me why I quit using my Unicomp customizer for my daily driver. But for that one hour of use I was really digging it and came to understand why so many people love the Space saver. I was kinda of hopping this board would be my daily driver at work but there is no way my fingers could deal with that.

So I'm still searching for that perfect board. In my quest here is what I've tried so far and my thoughts on them:

1) Scorpius M10 Blue Cherry - At first I liked this board but the more I use it and adjust to it I find that it is not quit right. This is the board I currently have at work.

2) ABS M1 Black Alps - I really like the feel of the switches on this board. No finger strain. But I don't really like the key caps on this board. They just feel sloppy (They move around allot on top of the switch). Thinking about taking this one to work to replace the M10 even though it is not perfect it is better than the M10.

3) Compaq MX11800 Brown Cherry - I really like the feel of this one as well. No issues other than the layout of the board. Currently using this one and really loving it but the layout sucks.

What I have on the way:
RealForce 87U - I'm hoping that this one will end up as my daily driver at home. (I just will not take this one to work)

Here is what I still want to try:
1) White Alps - Thinking maybe a Northgate Omni Key
2) Maybe Orange or Pink Alps - What is the difference between these and the blacks?
3) Black Cherry - Not so sure about these mostly because every one says they are stiff. Not sure my fingers will like them.

Am I missing something else I should try? Considering that the BS boards cause me considerable finger strain I'm looking for something lighter

Thanks
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline ozar

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 22:27:27 »
Quote from: rdjack21;28069
I
2) ABS M1 Black Alps - I really like the feel of the switches on this board. No finger strain.

If you like black alps, you might really like the Dell AT101W keyboard.  It's got a big footprint, but the switches actually feel better than the those on the M1 to me.  You can find these boards on eBay for around $10 plus shipping.  I got mine new in the box for $20.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 23:08:19 »
Quote from: ozar;28070
If you like black alps, you might really like the Dell AT101W keyboard.  It's got a big footprint, but the switches actually feel better than the those on the M1 to me.  You can find these boards on eBay for around $10 plus shipping.  I got mine new in the box for $20.

I just might try to snag one of those. But I also really like the smaller boards so I'm really looking for something in the tenkeyless size range or smaller.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE

Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 23:31:12 »
Quote from: ripster;28075
Yeah, that Compaq does look a little odd.

Did you consider the Filcos??  Anyway wait until you get the Realforce.  If it's too light then you're probably going to find the Filco similar.

- Ripster

From my understanding the Filco feels the same as the Compaq. So yes I will endup getting one of those. But I still want to try some different switches before I completely settle on the browns or the black Alps.

And Yes I'm also hoping the RealForce is not to light but I don't think it will be. Most of the reviews I've been reading about it say that it is closer to browns. Any ways I should find out next week because the RealForce cleared customs yesterday so should be here early next week.
Keyboards

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 07:10:49 »
Quote from: rdjack21;28078
From my understanding the Filco feels the same as the Compaq.

I found that the Cherry-made 'boards have a different feel than the Filco.  Check it: http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=27614&postcount=28

If you really like the Compaq, you might be happier with a G80-3000 with browns than the Filco, but the Filco is a great 'board, too.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 07:58:50 »
I like typing on an ABS M1 better than a Dell with black-alps, BUT I am not a fan of typing on black-alps.  Currently, I type on either BS or white-alps.  The MK96 can be found for $10 on ebay or around the internets, so you may want to look at that for the cheapest way to try out white-alps.  That is what I'm typing on right now. :)  However, some people find that typing on white-alps is tiring.  They are less work than BS, but you may want to watch out for that.

Black cherries, in my opinion, are absolutely horrible to type on.  If you can imagine pushing down on springs that never give up tension, that is what it's like.  If you're like me, it's hard to imagine without trying them, but I did try them, and I can tell you that I think linear switches are worse than rubber domes to type on.  With tactile switches, you press, get past the bump, and the switch lets off nearly all of the tension.  With black cherries, there is no bump, and the tension stays the whole time.
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 08:08:00 »
Quote from: FKSSR;28110
I like typing on an ABS M1 better than a Dell with black-alps, BUT I am not a fan of typing on black-alps.  Currently, I type on either BS or white-alps.  The MK96 can be found for $10 on ebay or around the internets, so you may want to look at that for the cheapest way to try out white-alps.  That is what I'm typing on right now. :)  However, some people find that typing on white-alps is tiring.  They are less work than BS, but you may want to watch out for that.

Black cherries, in my opinion, are absolutely horrible to type on.  If you can imagine pushing down on springs that never give up tension, that is what it's like.  If you're like me, it's hard to imagine without trying them, but I did try them, and I can tell you that I think linear switches are worse than rubber domes to type on.  With tactile switches, you press, get past the bump, and the switch lets off nearly all of the tension.  With black cherries, there is no bump, and the tension stays the whole time.

Dude, you're picky. :)

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 09:26:40 »
Quote from: itlnstln;28112
Dude, you're picky. :)

Aren't we all? Isn't that the reason we are here?

Lets take my case.

I say I'm feeling that I don't like the M10 but is it really the switch I don't like or the M10 I don't like? I'm  not really sure because when I first got it I loved it but over time I find that I don't type with confidence on it. Again is that the blues or the M10 I can't really say for sure because it is the only board that I have that has blues. The same goes for the browns and black Alps is it the board I like/dislike or is it the switch. Again I can't really say for sure with out trying more boards. I will say that I type with more confidence on BS, Cherry browns and black Alps  boards at this point. So I will be looking for other boards with those switches. But at the same time I want to try other switches to see if one of them is the one true switch I will like. I'm just not sure which ones I should try first.

I will most likely try Alps White next and maybe try to snag another cherry brown board as well. After that who knows. What I'm after with this thread is advice from those that have gone through the same process and how they got to their prefered switch/board. And I do expect picky advice because I'm picky about what I type on or I should say my fingers are picky about what they type on :)
Keyboards

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 09:31:26 »
I am picky. :D

I agree with what you said about not knowing if you dislike a certain switch-type or a certain board.

I had a G80-3000 with blue cherry switches, and I wasn't a fan.  However, after reading itlnstln's review/thoughs on the differences between a G80-3000 w/ browns and Filco w/ browns, I am now wondering if I would like a Filco w/ blues.  Perhaps the added "bulk" in the keys and case would make the click a little lower and give a tiny bit more resistance/weight to make me happy.

Needless to say, I really want to try out a Filco w/ blues right now.  With white-alps becoming "endangered" with threat of "extinction," and BS already at that point, I'm worried that no new switches will "suit my fancy" in the future.
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline eugenius

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 11:06:19 »
You are missing the first line of my signature, obviously .... :)
Cherry ErgoPlus MX5000 + MX5700 / IBM Model M

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 12:23:48 »
I have not decided if I like the Ergo type of boards or not. I'm thinking I might try this one though:
http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/max-spec.htm

Notice the cupped keys. I really want a board with cupped keys. Also it has brown cherry in it which I want to try on another board as well.
Keyboards

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 14:21:44 »
Just got my Realforce in and I think this will be my board of choice for now on. Man is it nice. I think that after I use it for a week or so and if I still love it I will just have to get another one.
Keyboards

Offline huha

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 18:13:08 »
How much does the Model M Space Saver weigh? I was discussing this with a friend, but couldn't find specs on that. My guess would be about 1.2-1.5 kg, but could you put yours on a scale please?

-huha
Unicomp Endurapro 105 (blank keycaps, BS) // Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2 (blues, modded to green MX) // Cherry G80-3000LAMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Cherry G80-11900LTMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Compaq G80-11801 (browns) // Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) // IBM Model M2 (BS) // Boscom AS400 Terminal Emulator (OEM\'d Unicomp, BS, 2x) // Dell AT102DW (black Alps) // Mechanical Touch (chinese BS) Acer 6312-KW (Acer mechanics on membrane) // Cherry G84-4100 (ML) // Cherry G80-1000HAD (NKRO, blacks)

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 22:57:03 »
Quote from: huha;28224
How much does the Model M Space Saver weigh? I was discussing this with a friend, but couldn't find specs on that. My guess would be about 1.2-1.5 kg, but could you put yours on a scale please?

-huha

I don't have a scale that I can weigh it on. But Shipping weight for it was 6 pounds. I would think the actual keyboard is more like 5 pounds as it is just as heavy as my wife's laptop which I think weighs around 5 pounds.
Keyboards

Offline skriefal

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 23:16:31 »
The weight is somewhere between 4 and 5 lbs.   That's the closest I can get with my scale.

Offline eugenius

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 11 April 2009, 05:42:46 »
That kinesis maxim has the nicest layout there is and it's adjustable to non-ergo if you want (Just like the ErgoPlus).
That can help you transition to ergo without knowing it, increasing the angle bit by bit every day.

However:

1. It's basically an old Fujitsu keyboard that can be had for peanuts. I saw it for like 20 euro. :)
2. It's membrane, and if the keys are like the many such Fujitsu keyboards I tried, it's bad membrane. Light years away from brown cherries.
3. Has weird concave keys (that hurt your fingers if you hit them on the sides or swipe the keys).

Having said all that, I didn't try exactly that keyboard, I tried like 4-5 other Fujitsu non-ergo keyboards with that type of keys.
Cherry ErgoPlus MX5000 + MX5700 / IBM Model M

Offline lal

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 11 April 2009, 08:31:49 »
Quote from: huha;28224

-huha

My 1397681 weighs exactly 1,6 kg (3.5 lbs.) w/o the cable.
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline lal

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 11 April 2009, 08:34:17 »
Quote from: rdjack21;28161
Also [the Kinesis Maxim] has brown cherry in it

I'm quite confident that this is unfortunately not the case.  It should have rubber domes, as eugenius pointed out.
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 11 April 2009, 10:54:07 »
Quote from: lal;28287
I'm quite confident that this is unfortunately not the case.  It should have rubber domes, as eugenius pointed out.

I hope it does not but now yall have me worried about it. Any ways I snaged one on Ebay for $60 so I guess I will see shortly what is in it.
Keyboards

Offline lal

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 11 April 2009, 11:17:39 »
Quote from: rdjack21;28314
I hope it does not but now yall have me worried about it. Any ways I snaged one on Ebay for $60 so I guess I will see shortly what is in it.

http://www.ergocanada.com/products/keyboards/kinesis_maxim.html:
Keyswitches: High quality quiet tactile membrane, rated at 10 million keystrokes

Or search on geekhack for "kinesis maxim".  In this thread there are pics from a disassembled Fujitsu Siemens by lowpoly, which is basically the same.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 11 April 2009, 13:37:13 »
Quote from: lal;28321
http://www.ergocanada.com/products/keyboards/kinesis_maxim.html:

Or search on geekhack for "kinesis maxim".  In this thread there are pics from a disassembled Fujitsu Siemens by lowpoly, which is basically the same.

Oh well live and learn :) I'll probably just flip it. What is really frustrating is that this site which is where I looked did not spell out that it was a rubber dome board http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/max-spec.htm

I just though it looked interesting..
Keyboards