geekhack Community > Off Topic

Feeling Weird about This Hobby Now

<< < (5/5)

azzipa:

--- Quote from: Darthbaggins on Mon, 21 June 2021, 13:41:50 ---
--- Quote from: azzipa on Mon, 21 June 2021, 12:07:06 ---one of my other hobbies is long distance cycling. really long distance, from several hundred to >1,000km. there's a saying: after 300 or 400km nothing changes. somehow seems apropos.

--- End quote ---
I would hope something would change if you're long distance cycling, if not then you're on an exercise bike in the house/gym. lol

--- End quote ---

not literally "nothing changes" but metaphorically. at that point you've figured out your bike/equipment, your hydration, your diet, your sleep needs and your fitness. you've done the work, obsessed about equipment and other minutiae, and it's all about going out to ride. after 300km you know how the rest of the day is going to go, weather (and other uncontrolled variables) aside. for me, a bit similar to this hobby. a deep period of learning followed by a wonderful time of practice and application. new bikes come and go, new switches come and go. none of it really affects the vibe; that comes from within.

--- Quote from: Learis on Tue, 15 June 2021, 12:42:00 ---Once I ventured far enough down the rabbit hole, I found that it actually ended. I tried enough switches to see what I liked, tried enough layouts to see what I liked, tried enough keycaps to see what I liked... And that's it. Nothing really changes dramatically in the keyboard scene from what I can tell.

--- End quote ---

word. nothing wrong with a little experimentation, as long as the keyboard consents. but preference aside, gamechanging tech seems to be scarce.

Kavik:

--- Quote from: azzipa on Mon, 21 June 2021, 12:07:06 ---one of my other hobbies is long distance cycling. really long distance, from several hundred to >1,000km. there's a saying: after 300 or 400km nothing changes. somehow seems apropos.

--- End quote ---

Sorry to derail my own topic, but what saddle do you use? When I decided to train for a century ride two years ago, I tried about five different saddles, and none of them prevented pain after about 40-50 miles (slight discomfort usually set in around 8-12 miles). Towards the end of a ride, I was having to stand out of the saddle every few minutes. I measured my sit bones to ensure the right fit and bought a new "long distance" chamois, the latter of which helped slightly, but I came to the conclusion that softer saddles caused tingling/burning sensations and firmer saddles just crushed my soft tissue between the saddle and my sit bones, creating bruises on my butt/upper thigh. Sitting hurt for about a week after rides, and getting on a bike again before that time was unbearably painful. I eventually settled on one that was OK, mainly because I didn't feel like spending hundreds of dollars to figure it out, but it still hurts on longer rides.

azzipa:
selle san marco regal. donít worry about the few extra grams. but if you really care thereís a titanium version. (or used to be.) this is what most of the pros rode in the spring classics into the early 2000ís, until sponsors took over, and itís still my favorite saddle. you can find them used on ebay, or you can buy new. firm and a bit wide with just enough flex, imo. but even more than keebs, ymmv  :thumb:

edit to add hyperlink

Kavik:

--- Quote from: azzipa on Tue, 22 June 2021, 00:15:25 ---selle san marco regal. donít worry about the few extra grams. but if you really care thereís a titanium version. (or used to be.) this is what most of the pros rode in the spring classics into the early 2000ís, until sponsors took over, and itís still my favorite saddle. you can find them used on ebay, or you can buy new. firm and a bit wide with just enough flex, imo. but even more than keebs, ymmv  :thumb:

edit to add hyperlink

--- End quote ---

Thank you. I'll check that out!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version