Author Topic: Feeling Weird about This Hobby Now  (Read 3655 times)

Offline Kavik

Feeling Weird about This Hobby Now
« on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 00:55:11 »
My interest in keyboards has waned a lot recently. The last keyboard I bought was two years ago - a RAMA U80 -, which I wasn't terribly hyped about; it just looked like a well built unit. When I received it a year later, it was mildly interesting and worked ok. But I eventually just switched back to one of my first mechs, a CM Quickfire TK, because I was tired of worrying about scratching my other keyboards. I haven't rotated in any other keyboards in probably eight months.

But just now, my waning interest turned into feeling like an outsider looking in. I had the feeling that others must have when they see this hobby and don't understand it. I watched a Chyrosran22 video for the first time in a long while, and I noticed he has 116k subscribers. Wow, that seems like a lot for a keyboard channel. Oh, Taeha Types has almost a half million?! And there's a new channel, Glarses, with even more subs than Taeha? I watched a few videos and realized I really don't have any idea what they're talking about anymore. I haven't kept up with all the new switches and new custom keyboards and keysets. I don't know what the trends are, so everything just looks alien to me. It was like stumbling onto someone else's hobby I'd never heard of, especially when I saw comments on Chyrosran's video complaining about his outdated opinions since he likes vintage stuff; that just struck me weird. Maybe staying on my little corner of Geekhack has insulated me from the larger world of keyboards, what with Keebtalk (is that still a thing?), r/MK, and nearly infinite Discord servers, each with 100 million channels (how does anyone keep up with Discord? I actually don't understand it). It probably doesn't help that I just ignore ICs and GBs too. This was already an esoteric hobby, but there's so much new stuff now that it seems impossible to keep up or even compare things.

I think my loss of interest was partly caused by the endless chase of perfection that was never realized no matter how much money was spent. Every board and every switch and every keycap set have not lived up to expectations or hype, even the really good stuff. There was always some nitpick that didn't live up to my imagination. Disillusioned may be an apt description for me.

Maybe some new keyboard or switch will come along and rekindle the passion. Someday, I'll receive the Ellipse F77 I ordered years ago. Maybe that will get me back into it, but it's been so long that patience has got the better of me, so I'm not terribly eager for it anymore.

Well, anyway, pointless ramble is pointless. The feeling of not only being uninterested but also a total outsider just really struck me.

Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline jamster

Re: Feeling Weird about This Hobby Now
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 01:15:37 »
I've never approached this mechanical keyboard hobby as any cultural grouping, which is much of the Youtube/Reddit/Instagram stuff seems to be about. I just happen to like keyboards (using and a bit of tinkering), have a couple of IRL friends who have a similar appreciation as we're all old school geeks.

I look at much of Geekhack and feel like an 'outsider looking in,' especially if I look at IC/GBs. But this is something that is common throughout much of my existence. My own interests have always been solitary and unusual, and I have no problem with this.

Then again, I never expected much of out keyboards either... I just want to use boards that are nice and pleasant-feeling. The whole custom metal board with an infinite variation of slightly different MX clone thing has always looked quite odd to me- if thousands of people on Discord or whatever want to obsess about this stuff, then good for them, but I am not missing anything.

Edit: I guess I've appreciated mechanical keyboards from when it was a guaranteed outsider thing. Now that it seems to have gone a bit more mainstream, if I'm still an outsider, then that's probably a more comfortable state to be in.

« Last Edit: Fri, 11 June 2021, 01:17:55 by jamster »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 06:48:54 »
Repeat 3 times,   Aged Out...

It's normal, it can happen in your 30s and 40s, 50s, and on.

Time to Eat Veggie,  Calibrate monitor, and Play piano.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 07:33:11 »
My interest in keyboards has waned a lot recently. The last keyboard I bought was two years ago - a RAMA U80 -, which I wasn't terribly hyped about; it just looked like a well built unit. When I received it a year later, it was mildly interesting and worked ok. But I eventually just switched back to one of my first mechs, a CM Quickfire TK, because I was tired of worrying about scratching my other keyboards. I haven't rotated in any other keyboards in probably eight months.

This is pretty normal. You'll notice that not many people stick around longer than a few years on here. Hell, I wouldn't be on here nearly as much (possibly at all) if I weren't a mod. Kind of a weird thing to think about, since the hobby was once such a big and important thing in my life, but we move on and try new things. As long as you had fun along the way, it was worth it. :)

My RF10AE hasn't left my desk in probably 4 years now, aside from the occasional need to swap to something with a numpad. Not much need to geek out over keyboards when you're content and aren't buying things anymore (which, let's admit it, is basically the heart and soul of the actual "hobby" - not counting the friendships and other more meaningful things you get out of it).

how does anyone keep up with Discord? I actually don't understand it

Discord is a young man/woman's game. I'm "in" a few discord servers, but am not at all active unless I'm pinged. There's no way I could keep up with all of that and still have a relationship with my wife, take care of my responsibilities, etc. I would have been all over that in my teen years though. :P

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 13:55:07 »
But just now, my waning interest turned into feeling like an outsider looking in. I had the feeling that others must have when they see this hobby and don't understand it...I watched a few videos and realized I really don't have any idea what they're talking about anymore. I haven't kept up with all the new switches and new custom keyboards and keysets. I don't know what the trends are, so everything just looks alien to me.

I'm new to keebs, but I can heavily relate to this from my other/first main hobby. I simply found what works in general and what works for me. Sure, I could keep up with all the latest and greatest, but why would I? At the end of the day, there's nothing coming out that's so groundbreaking as to be worth the time investment into checking the other thousand products that'll happen between now and then. When something truly revolutionary does come along, I'll hear about it whether I'm directly involved with and on top of that hobby or not.

nearly infinite Discord servers, each with 100 million channels (how does anyone keep up with Discord? I actually don't understand it).

Maybe I'm just a young'un here, but I'm sitting in 10 keyboard discords, another 10 other servers, and then 80 others that I basically never touch.  :D If you've ever got questions about discord feel free to ask, the biggest thing that I've found helpful is figuring out what channels you don't need to be looking at and then muting them. If there's 100 channels in a server, chances are you can mute anywhere from 20-95 of them depending on just how involved you want to be.

I think my loss of interest was partly caused by the endless chase of perfection that was never realized no matter how much money was spent. Every board and every switch and every keycap set have not lived up to expectations or hype, even the really good stuff. There was always some nitpick that didn't live up to my imagination. Disillusioned may be an apt description for me.

Part of me is worried about this happening to myself (I'm only on my second week of being interested in keebs), but at the end of the day I'm largely here to get better tools. I spend 8-14hrs a day behind a keyboard at both work and home, getting a properly nice setup that fits me is an investment - especially with split boards for better ergos to try and avoid future issues I can already feel creeping in. There's some really, really nice rigs out there, but I don't need a $1200 piece of art to run reports at work or hold long-winded discussions on discord. I just need a nice piece of equipment that'll last me years of feeling good to type on. The enjoyment of building it myself is just a bonus that allows me to get exactly what fits.

It's not abnormal or unwarranted to "grow out of" a hobby. But at the same time, it's a hobby. There's no required level of interest or interaction. If you just want to be around to vibe with older setups, I'm sure you're not the only one. There's no membership requirement saying you have to be able to give a dissertation on the Pandaverse and what upcoming group by most closely resembles their switch feel. Noobs like me still need the "old-timers" like you to remind us that it's just a keyboard, it's okay to not be a collector, and to answer the inevitable questions of "hey what's this thing?" when everyone else is too focused on the new hotness to remember how the longstanding setups were.
Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 June 2021, 21:50:52 »

But just now, my waning interest turned into feeling like an outsider looking in. I had the feeling that others must have when they see this hobby and don't understand it. I watched a Chyrosran22 video for the first time in a long while, and I noticed he has 116k subscribers. Wow, that seems like a lot for a keyboard channel. Oh, Taeha Types has almost a half million?! And there's a new channel, Glarses, with even more subs than Taeha? I watched a few videos and realized I really don't have any idea what they're talking about anymore. I haven't kept up with all the new switches and new custom keyboards and keysets. I don't know what the trends are, so everything just looks alien to me. It was like stumbling onto someone else's hobby I'd never heard of, especially when I saw comments on Chyrosran's video complaining about his outdated opinions since he likes vintage stuff; that just struck me weird. Maybe staying on my little corner of Geekhack has insulated me from the larger world of keyboards, what with Keebtalk (is that still a thing?), r/MK, and nearly infinite Discord servers, each with 100 million channels (how does anyone keep up with Discord? I actually don't understand it). It probably doesn't help that I just ignore ICs and GBs too. This was already an esoteric hobby, but there's so much new stuff now that it seems impossible to keep up or even compare things.

Maybe some new keyboard or switch will come along and rekindle the passion. Someday, I'll receive the Ellipse F77 I ordered years ago. Maybe that will get me back into it, but it's been so long that patience has got the better of me, so I'm not terribly eager for it anymore.

Well, anyway, pointless ramble is pointless. The feeling of not only being uninterested but also a total outsider just really struck me.

Theres the off topic forum if we're not interested in keyboards anymore..

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 07:09:02 »
I don't think I ever understood keyboards as a hobby any more than headphones or watches (other interests/forums I've been active in) so I'm always an outsider.  I come, I learn, I get something more suited to my use than the standard off the shelf item and then, if possible, I help newbies in some way to stave off offline boredom.  Only keyboards have much scope for the last bit and that's why I've been active for most of the time I've been a member here while the other forums I disappear for years on end and may never return.

Sintpinty has it right - if you don't want to talk about keyboards there's always Off Topic and Other Geeky Stuff if you want some input from a varied and knowledgable group of strangers on the internet.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Kavik

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 00:29:38 »
This is pretty normal. You'll notice that not many people stick around longer than a few years on here. Hell, I wouldn't be on here nearly as much (possibly at all) if I weren't a mod. Kind of a weird thing to think about, since the hobby was once such a big and important thing in my life, but we move on and try new things. As long as you had fun along the way, it was worth it. :)

My RF10AE hasn't left my desk in probably 4 years now, aside from the occasional need to swap to something with a numpad. Not much need to geek out over keyboards when you're content and aren't buying things anymore (which, let's admit it, is basically the heart and soul of the actual "hobby" - not counting the friendships and other more meaningful things you get out of it).

It's weird that I'm content with a keyboard I didn't like for the first four or five years I owned it (at least for now). The people here are why I still come back. I think the mix of the hobby and the people is why this was a weird feeling. Every other hobby doesn't involve anyone else, so I can drop it without much change. Dropping this hobby entirely would mean not being here as well, but as mentioned in this thread, that's what Off Topic is for.

I'm new to keebs, but I can heavily relate to this from my other/first main hobby. I simply found what works in general and what works for me. Sure, I could keep up with all the latest and greatest, but why would I? At the end of the day, there's nothing coming out that's so groundbreaking as to be worth the time investment into checking the other thousand products that'll happen between now and then. When something truly revolutionary does come along, I'll hear about it whether I'm directly involved with and on top of that hobby or not.

Maybe I'm just a young'un here, but I'm sitting in 10 keyboard discords, another 10 other servers, and then 80 others that I basically never touch.  :D If you've ever got questions about discord feel free to ask, the biggest thing that I've found helpful is figuring out what channels you don't need to be looking at and then muting them. If there's 100 channels in a server, chances are you can mute anywhere from 20-95 of them depending on just how involved you want to be.

Good point on hearing about big new things regardless. With keyboards, maybe FOMO was affecting me. Even if you do hear about something awesome but you miss out on it, it may never come back, or it'll be YEARS. It's funny; there was some 75% board that I was in love with and whose IC and GB I followed for over a year just waiting for the sale to open, and it sold out in something like 21 seconds (all the interest seemed to have come rather late in the GB as well). I was ready for it, but I still missed it by about seven seconds. Despite how long I followed it and how disappointing that was, I haven't thought about it again until just now.

I am in a lot of Discord servers just because I *might* want to look into them later, but I really tried to participate in a language learning Discord server at one point, but I couldn't even keep up with *one* channel because there was so much chatter on it. When someone replied to me, I couldn't even see my own text on the screen at the same time as the reply most of the time.

Part of me is worried about this happening to myself (I'm only on my second week of being interested in keebs), but at the end of the day I'm largely here to get better tools. I spend 8-14hrs a day behind a keyboard at both work and home, getting a properly nice setup that fits me is an investment - especially with split boards for better ergos to try and avoid future issues I can already feel creeping in. There's some really, really nice rigs out there, but I don't need a $1200 piece of art to run reports at work or hold long-winded discussions on discord. I just need a nice piece of equipment that'll last me years of feeling good to type on. The enjoyment of building it myself is just a bonus that allows me to get exactly what fits.

It's not abnormal or unwarranted to "grow out of" a hobby. But at the same time, it's a hobby. There's no required level of interest or interaction. If you just want to be around to vibe with older setups, I'm sure you're not the only one. There's no membership requirement saying you have to be able to give a dissertation on the Pandaverse and what upcoming group by most closely resembles their switch feel. Noobs like me still need the "old-timers" like you to remind us that it's just a keyboard, it's okay to not be a collector, and to answer the inevitable questions of "hey what's this thing?" when everyone else is too focused on the new hotness to remember how the longstanding setups were.

The biggest issue is not being able to try anything before buying. Every single build is an experiment. I tried to maximize the number of differences per build to try as many things at once as I could (different layout, plate material, mounting method, switches, keycaps), but then it's hard to tell which variables matter. Oddly my brother became interested in mechs recently, so, at least, I was able to let him sample a smorgasbord of switches and keycaps to form an opinion (I think he ended up with a GMMK with BOX Royals and maybe some SA caps on the way).

I think was long as your expectations are reasonable, you'll be ok. Just don't expect to replicate the sounds you hear on Youtube unless you spend ungodly hours on your builds and experiment with different lubes and such. I got somewhat close to replicating the "Lubed Vintage MX Black" sound I always hear in videos by desoldering a bunch of MX Blacks from a couple old PCBs, lubing them, and then going through each one, feeling them individually, and binning them as "sucks", "ok", and "good". Aaaand those ended up in a board I don't use because it's a weird layout.

Theres the off topic forum if we're not interested in keyboards anymore..

Haha, I pretty much live in Off Topic here. I rarely venture anywhere else now.

I don't think I ever understood keyboards as a hobby any more than headphones or watches (other interests/forums I've been active in) so I'm always an outsider.  I come, I learn, I get something more suited to my use than the standard off the shelf item and then, if possible, I help newbies in some way to stave off offline boredom.  Only keyboards have much scope for the last bit and that's why I've been active for most of the time I've been a member here while the other forums I disappear for years on end and may never return.

Sintpinty has it right - if you don't want to talk about keyboards there's always Off Topic and Other Geeky Stuff if you want some input from a varied and knowledgable group of strangers on the internet.

That's how this started for me. I just wanted something better than MX Blues. Somehow I heard about the Model M, and all my Google searches kept bringing me to Geekhack. I bought a couple Model Ms, and I joined the Ellipse Model F GB because it seemed like the logical progression. It was supposed to be a quick in and out. I got the keyboard I wanted, but I think what got me hooked was the Rama M65-A GB. I joined because it was originally a raffle that I was sure I wouldn't win, and then it became an unlimited GB, so I was invoiced and had to stick around and check for updates.

But at this point, I stick around for the discussion with you folks. There's the right blend of anonymity yet object permanence around here that real discussions and personalities emerge.

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 03:24:04 »
I am in a lot of Discord servers just because I *might* want to look into them later, but I really tried to participate in a language learning Discord server at one point, but I couldn't even keep up with *one* channel because there was so much chatter on it. When someone replied to me, I couldn't even see my own text on the screen at the same time as the reply most of the time.

This happens frequently in the massive servers, I generally don't bother with those. I don't think I'm active in any server with 4 digit membership, most of them are <300 and that tends to keep interaction and conversations at a manageable speed.

That's how this started for me. I just wanted something better than MX Blues. Somehow I heard about the Model M, and all my Google searches kept bringing me to Geekhack.

Aaaand that's how I got here. Just wanted something better than my noisy $60 Ajazz, starting to notice wrist/hand/arm pain from longer/heavier typing days, figured it was time to go with something more ergonomic. Every time I'd search something, whether that was trying to learn what on earth a 40% was, how to build a Sofle, what makes the Sofle different from the Lily58, etc etc, every search I made kept being full of geekhack links. Once I discovered IC's and GB's and that keyboards could be really pretty, it was over for me.  ;) Now I'm in on two GBs and awaiting more with 4 builds planned with another 1-4 ideas that I'd want to build just to give away. 

All I wanted was to stop getting wrist pain...how'd I end up here?  :'(
Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline iri

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 08:39:25 »
Haha, I pretty much live in Off Topic here. I rarely venture anywhere else now.
Amen.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Learis

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 12:42:00 »
Once I ventured far enough down the rabbit hole, I found that it actually ended. I tried enough switches to see what I liked, tried enough layouts to see what I liked, tried enough keycaps to see what I liked... And that's it. Nothing really changes dramatically in the keyboard scene from what I can tell.

I definitely had an obsession at first with wanting the ultimate sound. But over time I realized that it wasn't important lol, and a good enough sound is just fine. After I finished an optimal keyboard for myself, that was it for me. It's odd how there are these non-stop interest checks for keyboards that are practically identical to each other. It makes me wonder if people are just buying like dozens of keyboards.

Quite frankly, if that's what they enjoy then so be it. But the hobby sort of ended for me once I found what I liked. Still waiting for the day when engineers invent a non-rattley stabilizer so I don't have to be inserting tons of lube and bandaids into them while crossing my fingers and hoping it works.
Mend and Defend

Offline adsfqwer

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 18:10:02 »
There's just so many discord channels.
And too many GMK sets. How many variations on dolch do we really need? And don't get me started  on the unicorn/bubblegum/rainbow looking themes.

I'm old :(

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 10:14:22 »
Not sure how to feel after seeing a Carbon set being used in the 2nd episode on Loki.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Kavik

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 13:26:56 »
Not sure how to feel after seeing a Carbon set being used in the 2nd episode on Loki.

Wow, that's weird. According to the Reddit post I just read, it's a knock-off set too; I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse. I was confused when I saw the screenshot since it looked like SA legends on GMK profile caps.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 14:00:22 »
Yeah I got a screenshot of it, looks like one of the Amazon knock off sets

« Last Edit: Sat, 19 June 2021, 08:32:31 by Darthbaggins »

Offline azzipa

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 12:07:06 »
one of my other hobbies is long distance cycling. really long distance, from several hundred to >1,000km. there's a saying: after 300 or 400km nothing changes. somehow seems apropos.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 13:41:50 »
one of my other hobbies is long distance cycling. really long distance, from several hundred to >1,000km. there's a saying: after 300 or 400km nothing changes. somehow seems apropos.
I would hope something would change if you're long distance cycling, if not then you're on an exercise bike in the house/gym. lol

Offline yuppie

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 14:01:24 »
Meetups need to make a comeback
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline azzipa

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 14:19:02 »
I would hope something would change if you're long distance cycling, if not then you're on an exercise bike in the house/gym. lol

not literally "nothing changes" but metaphorically. at that point you've figured out your bike/equipment, your hydration, your diet, your sleep needs and your fitness. you've done the work, obsessed about equipment and other minutiae, and it's all about going out to ride. after 300km you know how the rest of the day is going to go, weather (and other uncontrolled variables) aside. for me, a bit similar to this hobby. a deep period of learning followed by a wonderful time of practice and application. new bikes come and go, new switches come and go. none of it really affects the vibe; that comes from within.

Once I ventured far enough down the rabbit hole, I found that it actually ended. I tried enough switches to see what I liked, tried enough layouts to see what I liked, tried enough keycaps to see what I liked... And that's it. Nothing really changes dramatically in the keyboard scene from what I can tell.

word. nothing wrong with a little experimentation, as long as the keyboard consents. but preference aside, gamechanging tech seems to be scarce.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 June 2021, 14:26:19 by azzipa »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 22:07:07 »

Sorry to derail my own topic, but what saddle do you use? When I decided to train for a century ride two years ago, I tried about five different saddles, and none of them prevented pain after about 40-50 miles (slight discomfort usually set in around 8-12 miles). Towards the end of a ride, I was having to stand out of the saddle every few minutes. I measured my sit bones to ensure the right fit and bought a new "long distance" chamois, the latter of which helped slightly, but I came to the conclusion that softer saddles caused tingling/burning sensations and firmer saddles just crushed my soft tissue between the saddle and my sit bones, creating bruises on my butt/upper thigh. Sitting hurt for about a week after rides, and getting on a bike again before that time was unbearably painful. I eventually settled on one that was OK, mainly because I didn't feel like spending hundreds of dollars to figure it out, but it still hurts on longer rides.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 00:15:25 »
selle san marco regal. don’t worry about the few extra grams. but if you really care there’s a titanium version. (or used to be.) this is what most of the pros rode in the spring classics into the early 2000’s, until sponsors took over, and it’s still my favorite saddle. you can find them used on ebay, or you can buy new. firm and a bit wide with just enough flex, imo. but even more than keebs, ymmv  :thumb:

edit to add hyperlink
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 June 2021, 00:38:34 by azzipa »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 13:21:15 »
selle san marco regal. don’t worry about the few extra grams. but if you really care there’s a titanium version. (or used to be.) this is what most of the pros rode in the spring classics into the early 2000’s, until sponsors took over, and it’s still my favorite saddle. you can find them used on ebay, or you can buy new. firm and a bit wide with just enough flex, imo. but even more than keebs, ymmv  :thumb:

edit to add hyperlink

Thank you. I'll check that out!