Author Topic: Xbax controllers  (Read 3861 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Xbax controllers
« on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 08:38:27 »
Are 2 xpensive !!

This microsoft monopoly on pc gaming controller needs to stop.

They go out of their way to break drivers / compatibility of older controllers.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
Re: Xbax controllers
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 09:21:58 »
I stick w/ my PS4 controller over the XB version (I just run DS4 to be able to run via paired wireless mode - or just use a USB)

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline yui

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 10:12:48 »
ps1 and 2 controllers only need a cheap adapter to work on pc, PS3 a free driver on windows and literally nothing on linux, there was the steam controller, and there are tons of 3rd party xbox compatible controllers on the market, what are you talking about. Xbox and PS controllers are expensive because they are the only reliable option on their respective consoles not at all because they either have any chance at a monopoly on pc
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 14:55:42 »
Are 2 xpensive !!

That's not a thing. It's only a monopoly because you keep buying them, there are more options now than ever in history. Even the Nintendo Switch Pro is plug 'n play to PC.

Also the Elite is a great controller, maybe the best controller that ever was.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 18:48:11 »
Read that one of the reasons for the Elite controller price premium is some company has a patent on the back paddles so MS licenses it. Some think this may also have contributed to Valve ending production of their Steam controller since they say it was prior to this company pursuing their patent rights (though it's equally likely it was just too unorthodox to catch on, judging by even those who like them).

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 July 2021, 05:26:50 »
Mouse + keeb rules :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline yui

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 01:27:33 »
i mostly use kb+m but in racing games it is giving yourself a huge handicap

Offline phinix

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 02:25:35 »
i mostly use kb+m but in racing games it is giving yourself a huge handicap

That's why I do not play racing games:)
I played racing games back in 90s, we still used keyboard, in some very old games - joysticks.
I dont play racing games now, I race with real cards now :D
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 11:55:35 »
Are 2 xpensive !!

shrigma males use 8bitdo sn30 pro

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 13:07:38 »
shrigma males

I tried to google this, I still don't understand what that is having read 4 different pages of explanations.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 13:53:03 »
shrigma males

I tried to google this, I still don't understand what that is having read 4 different pages of explanations.

It's when a 'beta male' thinks they are 'alpha' but does nothing to show or prove that to anyone outside of their own mind... at least that's my interpretation

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 13:59:20 »
shrigma males

It's when a 'beta male' thinks they are 'alpha' but does nothing to show or prove that to anyone outside of their own mind... at least that's my interpretation
I think this is the point where I feel like society is moving too fast for me.
All the labels and stuff today, man I am confused:'(

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 16:25:35 »
shrigma males

I think this is the point where I feel like society is moving too fast for me.
All the labels and stuff today, man I am confused:'(

Yeah. This planet is doomed.

Offline phinix

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 16:51:49 »
Are 2 xpensive !!

shrigma males use 8bitdo sn30 pro

I have that controller, its pretty good. I like its retro style.

I'm not shrigma male! Whatever that means.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 18:01:24 »
50 bucks for the regular one? doesn't seem too bad

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 10:06:54 »
I bought an arcade stick the other day (my perfectly good PS3 arcade stick won't work on PS4 to play VF5) and it's kind of ridiculous you've got to daisy chain the stick with a wireless PS4 controller to get it to work. Why can't i just plug the damn thing in? I've a couple of retro style Hori PS3 controllers I can't use on it either.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 13:32:16 »
I bought an arcade stick the other day (my perfectly good PS3 arcade stick won't work on PS4 to play VF5) and it's kind of ridiculous you've got to daisy chain the stick with a wireless PS4 controller to get it to work. Why can't i just plug the damn thing in? I've a couple of retro style Hori PS3 controllers I can't use on it either.

Brooks Adapter. They work very well, I use two for USB to AES, and Dreamcast to USB 
https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/17778036/

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 15:42:32 »
Well this is upsetting. Just realized Dirt 3 physics engine randomly crashes at ~450+ fps and the game freezes.  So even if you can run 800+ fps using Ghetto gpu settings, the engine isn't optimized to  handle it, so you have to limit the game to ~ 350fps by INCREASING graphics settings.   very bothered by this.

Offline yui

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 07:10:01 »
Well this is upsetting. Just realized Dirt 3 physics engine randomly crashes at ~450+ fps and the game freezes.  So even if you can run 800+ fps using Ghetto gpu settings, the engine isn't optimized to  handle it, so you have to limit the game to ~ 350fps by INCREASING graphics settings.   very bothered by this.
very 1st world problem isn't it? and why would you even try to run those games that high of an FPS, just use vsync and your GPU usage will go down a bunch and so its power consumption and heat output.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 07:29:43 »
very 1st world problem isn't it? and why would you even try to run those games that high of an FPS, just use vsync and your GPU usage will go down a bunch and so its power consumption and heat output.

No, high fps for racing games greatly improves tracking. You can (control wise) make a corner much more accurately/consistently at 300fps vs 60fps.

This is why Console racing = TRASH

Several reasons.

-The engine is taking inputs at a higher rate
-The monitor updates in Slices, you don't get 300 full frames, but 300 partial slices in 60 frames is still significantly more up to date than a full synced frame which is always late.
-The rendered output is closer to the real-time state of the simulation.
-The input window/ timing on a corner is only a fraction of 1 second. Seeing 50-100 frame (slices) to make a judgement on vector is alot better than seeing 10-20 frames

Offline yui

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 07:48:00 »
and there i am playing dirt rally at 30-40 fps, and 3 fps on the menu because of the background film anti linux encoding...

Offline phinix

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 08:02:01 »
I remember I used to play Rally on PC in 90s, was pulling crazy 18-20fps.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 10:38:10 »
Gran Turismo: Exists

tp4: "Console racing sucks!"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 11:54:07 »

Tsssss...  Gturismo is for Casuals.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 12:08:36 »

I mean, there's really only 2 actually good non-arcade style racing franchises around today. GT and Forza. Everything else is garbage. I've had to play them all and they are **** next to those two.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 14:01:07 »
Forza is classified as an arcade racer, GT is closer to sim but not fully there due to the damage visual aspects.  Out of all the racing titles the Forza series has to be one of my favorites along with Need For Speed franchise.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 14:08:41 »
Forza is classified as an arcade racer, GT is closer to sim but not fully there due to the damage visual aspects.  Out of all the racing titles the Forza series has to be one of my favorites along with Need For Speed franchise.

Need for speed peaked at Underground 2

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 14:59:39 »
I do like the Hot Pursuit versions as well, alot of fun and mayhem can be had - had some hilarious physics bugged accidents .

Offline yui

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 15:51:41 »

I mean, there's really only 2 actually good non-arcade style racing franchises around today. GT and Forza. Everything else is garbage. I've had to play them all and they are **** next to those two.
wait what? Forza is very much an arcade racer, and GT ain't really simulator level either, they both are on the same level as Grid (original, **** you codemaster for reusing name) i feel you forgot a few, just named one one the same level being Grid, Dirt, its rally cousin, there is also Asseto Corsa that i know of and is a fair bit less arcady still, i seem to remember there was at least an other "sim" on steam but can't find it...
ad i agree with TP that Underground was the best era of need for speed, although i liked the races from 1 better than 2 and the last boss in 2 is a complete joke, can't deny that customization in 2 is by far the best.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 17:25:37 »
I mean there's Forza Horizon, and Forza Motorsport. The latter being the more sim focused version of the game. Dirt is pretty fun, same level of sim as the other two.

Has anyone played iRacing? I know someone who's always going on and on about it, but it seems like a micro transaction squeeze.