Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2359843 times)

Offline Pretendo

It's hopeful to know that there's precedent, but the idea of cutting holes in a brand new Model F keyboard hurts my soul. I'd have to think of some non-destructive, reversible way to do it.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
Leyden Jar controller update:  forum member Rico has posted an update on the Leyden Jar controller project below.  This project uses the RP2040 chip and these controllers will hopefully power the current F122 production round and other boards in the future, once my current stock of ATMEGAs is depleted.  I have tested the controller on the beam spring Round 2 prototype and all keys work perfectly so far.  Rico plans to add 2 more columns to the project.

One way to add them is to change the two right side ground holes to 2 columns as shown in the attachment (I have circled these two holes). This way, the controller does not become too wide that it does not function with the current new Model F and Beam Spring keyboards. These columns will be ignored for all firmware except F122. For all other keyboards, the holes are connected to ground on the capacitive PCBs. Another option is to widen the controller to add 2 holes as also pictured in the attachment.  It would be one or the other, not both changes.

https://www.keebtalk.com/t/the-leyden-jar-a-tentative-pcb-replacement-for-the-brand-new-model-f-keyboards/17489/18

298094-0

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
Just ordered my third board.  I kinda like the website, it's like the unicomp site but worse.  This recent time I ordered an FSSK and just chose options without really knowing what they were.  IBM SSK Keycaps? Are they just the pearl & white ones I see in pictures? who knows, sounds good :p I'm sure I'll love it though, keep up the awesome work!

Is there a way to buy an extra spacebar or two?
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline Ellipse

The answer to your first question is in the listing description - "Original IBM SSK key set recommended"

Yep you can order extra spacebars and any other available key through the Extra Keys store page.

Everyone please let me know what specific changes would improve the project web site.

Offline Pretendo

1) There seems to be a bug where the "Newsletter / Project Updates" side tab will sometimes overlay text, and the "selected" banner that comes up as you scroll down the page will sometimes sit way too far down the page, because the top banner breaks and disappears.  The best way I found to replicate it is to have both appear on screen, then play around with the width of the page.

2) The different prices on the color options should be more noticeable, like it is with other options.

3) If there was some way to have the total tacked to the bottom of the page, that would be nice.

4) LED overlay options should be better integrated (shouldn't have to go to the beam spring page to see your options) and included by default, as the board seems incomplete without one.

5) Easier said than done, but better previews of colors and key options as you select them.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline Ellipse

The LED overlays arrived (just option 1) by air shipment and they are good quality.  I checked one of my IBM Model M originals and they all look nice (photos of the overlays were posted earlier in this thread).  It's tough to tell the original vs. new textures apart.  I especially like the texture and how it slightly obscures the LEDs in the cut out areas, just like the originals (it's not a completely translucent piece of plastic)

This means that now the orders with overlays can proceed - first the Round 1 beam springs with overlays ordered and then the ultra compact (aka Round 1) Model F's with overlays ordered can go out (though I am waiting on the QMK firmware to be finalized for the new Model F options before they can ship so people don't have to reflash right away).  This LED overlay batch was for 500.  For the final batch of the remaining 4,500 overlays, I requested that they add a little more brown to the color of options 1, 5, and 9 and make the black printing a little more deeper black.  Either way it is difficult to tell the new vs. original overlays but I want them to be as close as possible.  Sorry but to keep things simple I won't accept requests for one batch or the other batch of overlays so please don't ask.

I added some case dimensions to the project site:

Approximate dimensions:
Classic F104: 486 x 210 x 22-40mm (front to back variance)
Classic FSSK: 400 x 210 x 22-40mm
Classic F122: 535 x 210 x 22-55mm
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 April 2023, 23:27:27 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

Here is a flush mount USB-C mod that seems to be non-destructive and fully reversible:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4972816

Offline Ellipse

The case bottoms are also aluminum.  All top and bottom case parts are metal for the various projects.  Attached are the photos of the bottom case part, as installed on a Classic M Style case FSSK.  Please note that these photos are of prototypes whose case bottoms were rejected because the screws were improperly recessed and the bottom did not properly align with the contours of the case top (the bolts should be fully recessed and flush with the case bottom and the case bottom should not extend beyond the contours of the case top, and the parts should line up in the front and back though they do not in the sample).  The tops had other QC issues as noted in a prior post (casting defects, mold lines, improperly drilled holes for the screws, etc.).  The pair of adjacent holes on the bottom are for mounting a solenoid, which can now be done directly and the L bracket mount is no longer needed.  These holes should have been recessed so the screws do not stick out of the bottom.  The P clip and solenoid driver have individual, dedicated mounting posts inside the keyboard, on the case top.

Rejected case samples:
298432-0
298434-1

Offline Ellipse

Here are some photos of the rejected F122 case.  Inside are the bottom and top inner assemblies.  The factory did not properly drill the internal holes to attach the bottom inner assembly, so that is why the inner assembly looks too sunken in the photos (it is loose and not properly installed).  Also the LED overlay is a rejected sample (incorrect color).

You can see the rust on the steel top inner assembly plate as the plate was not powdercoated, so it starts to rust quite quickly.  When I was restoring a late 1930s/early 1940s metal case clock a few years back (including removing the old paint finish), the bare clock case would develop a later of rust within minutes (!) of air exposure.  Drying the water off the clock and coating the clock case with oil helped slow this down so I could spray paint the case. 
298436-0
298438-1
298440-2
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 April 2023, 19:49:53 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

As an update pandrew has updated the QMK beta site to add the F104 and FSSK.

Please review the proposed F104 factory programming. I hope to start mailing out the Round 1 F104/FSSK boards Thursday/Friday of this week.
298465-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 April 2023, 20:45:35 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

Here are the first photos of the completed and tested M Style FSSK sample; it is configured with the HHKB Style Split Right Shift and Split Backspace. Since the ~ ` key is left of the 1 ! key, I was not sure which key to place in the rightmost key of the block, so I selected a blank key. Any ideas on how folks plan on configuring their FSSK layout with such a configuration?

For the M Style case keyboards, wcass has ingeniously updated the PCB design to allow for the same PCB to support both HHKB style split right shift and regular right shift, to cut down on the number of PCB variations.

As noted earlier, these are the rejected sample cases that have defects (casting defects, they did not drill all of the mounts and screws correctly so the inner assembly has sunk inside the keyboard, etc.). Fortunately the keyboard is fully functional in my testing with QMK today.

The case bottoms have 4 holes for optional screw-on bumpers, plus 2 holes to mount a solenoid. The case tops have two internal posts, one to mount a solenoid and one for the P clip (USB cable strain relief).

You can also notice the changes to the interconnections between top and bottom inner assembly
1. They now have additional tabs between the first two rows, just like the IBM F122 and F104 originals. I believe this was done to keep the plates as tight as possible, to allow for the snappiest of clicks upon actuation of each key. The Round 1 compact style F104 and FSSKs do not have these extra tabs. I can tell that the Round 2 boards have some extra clickiness/snappiness to them compared to the Round 1 boards, though both have sufficient clickiness/snappiness.
2. The controller tabs have been modified slightly on the M Style boards to make them simpler and a bit less flexible. Sometimes when unscrewing the controller and adjusting an old bottom inner assembly, the old tabs would move out of position which would require some pliers to move them back into position. They are also slightly taller, to allow for more room between the controller and BIA.

298614-0
298616-1
298618-2
298620-3
298622-4
298624-5
298626-6
298628-7
298630-8
298632-9

Offline Ellipse

Here are the first photos of the completed and tested M Style F104 sample; it is configured with the US ANSI layout.  As noted earlier, these are the rejected sample cases that have defects (casting defects, they did not drill all of the mounts and screws correctly so the inner assembly has sunk inside the keyboard, etc.). Fortunately the keyboard is fully functional in my testing with QMK.  Also the texture is a little more visible in this photo than in the SSK photo though the textures are all the same.  It is a nice texture reminiscent of the Model M style cases (originally plastic) as well as the IBM Model F cases (unpainted plastic, painted plastic, and painted metal).

Also shown below are some photos of the inside of the F104, indicating the locations of the P clip and where a solenoid driver and solenoid would go.  The LEDs are designed to have the flexibility for movement so you can move them closer or further away from the LED overlay based on your LED lock lighting preferences.

298701-0
298703-1
298705-2
298707-3
298709-4

Someone asked about getting some touch up paint for their powdercoated cases. 

I would just order a sample size of touch up paint for ~$8 from Home Depot.  Some locations have a paint matching machine where you could bring in your keyboard case to get the most accurate color, since colors vary slightly, but if you are okay with a close but not exact match you can refer the Home Depot staff member to the photo below.
298711-5

Offline Ellipse

Leyden Jar controller update:
Good news from Rico.  Rico just announced the completion and open sourcing of the Leyden Jar controller project with the 18x8 extended matrix!  And wcass has designed the F122 PCB to accommodate these extra pads, so now we have everything that is needed for the full F122 usage.

The next step is to optimize the components / design for mass production at the lowest feasible cost that does not result in noticeable performance loss.  At first glance the RP2040 based board seems to cost more than the ATMEGA-based controller, even with bulk quantity. It looks like the board uses several components that cost $0.50 or more each, compared to the ATMEGA-based design only using one such component, not counting the ATMEGA chip itself.  Which components can be changed out for lower cost components, even if the design has to change a bit?  The push buttons probably need to be eliminated for example, since they cost nearly $1 each.

https://www.keebtalk.com/t/the-leyden-jar-a-tentative-pcb-replacement-for-the-brand-new-model-f-keyboards/17489/23

https://github.com/mymakercorner/Leyden_Jar

PS/2 support - A welcome surprise is that Rico has designed an add-on board that adds PS/2 support, however it has not yet been programmed on the firmware side so some development will be needed.  It plugs into the solenoid header, which would not be needed for LEDs nor the solenoid, given the separate LED through holes and the PS/2 connection not permitting the required power for a solenoid.

Some of the higher cost components:
Comment   Footprint   Matched Part Detail
MCP4716A0T-E/CH   SOT-23-6   MCP4716A0T-E/CHC110057
      SOT-23-6 Digital To Analog Converters (DACs) ROHS
PCA9557PW,118   TSSOP-16_4.4x5mm_P0.65mm   PCA9557PW,118C141380
      8 400kHz I²C, SMBus TSSOP-16 I/O Expanders ROHS
ADP122AUJZ-3.3-R7   TSOT-23-5   ADP122AUJZ-3.3-R7C143910
      300mA 60dB@(10kHz,100kHz) Fixed 3.3V~3.3V Positive 5.5V TSOT-5L Linear Voltage Regulators (LDO) ROHS
LMV339   TSSOP-14_4.4x5mm_P0.65mm   LMV339IPWRC273648
      TSSOP-14 Comparators ROHS
W25Q16JVUXIQ   USON8_3x2mm   W25Q16JVUXIQC2843335
      USON-8-EP(2x3) NOR FLASH ROHS
mSMD110-16V   Fuse_1210_3225Metric   SMD1210-150C70102
      6V 1.5A 100A 3A 1210 Resettable Fuses ROHS
USBLC6-2SC6   SOT-23-6   USBLC6-2SC6C7519
      6V 17V Unidirectional 5.25V SOT-23-6 ESD Protection Devices ROHS
298771-0
298773-1

Offline Ellipse

Here is a comprehensive 1 hour setup video for the new Model F keyboards - I recommend that everyone looking to set up and learn how to use and maintain a Model F keyboard watches this video.

Chapters:
0:00 Introduction, safety information
2:57 Parts identification
3:28 Initial setup steps
5:35 Installing stabilizer inserts
7:15 Spacebar installation and optimization
12:16 Installing the remaining keys; fixing stuck or binding keys (the wiggle method, etc.)
18:23 “Quality control secrets” steps:  adjusting a key that doesn’t click, doesn’t work, or buzzes
23:23 Steps starting with plugging in your keyboard to the computer (testing, troubleshooting double presses, etc.)
27:26 Solenoid installation (optional)
31:02 Diagnosing issues with many keys
37:08 Opening up the keyboard inner assembly (change/maintain the layout or case)
40:08 Intermediate firmware adjustment (firmware/layout customization)
57:40 Appendix (cleaning, modifications, etc.)

Offline POCO Estudio

og,Amazon

Offline Ellipse

Level1Techs just posted a nice video on the ultra compact new Model F!

Here was the reply I posted:  "Thanks Wendell for making this video on the Brand New Model F Keyboards project!  If you do adapt the new Model F into the IBM SSK case, please do let me know how it goes.  I would not recommend it as you would probably have to irreversibly trim some plastic off the original case to fit the larger inner assembly of a Model F.  Regarding the recessed case, I do want to let everyone know that you can also order the F104 and FSSK with a standard Model M style case that is made out of metal and whose interior design is adapted to the Model F.  A downside is that unfortunately you can't switch an inner assembly from the compact case to the classic case or vice versa as they are slightly different in design (you could do this with the F62/F77 though)."

Offline Ellipse

I just came across a thorough F62 Kishsaver review video on YouTube (embedded below), which included setup, sound tests, solenoid on and off, along with various combinations of mods:  Floss mod, foam mod (adding foam inside the keyboard to dampen the sound), using a keyboard mat, etc.

And for old time's sake, here is one of my favorite videos from a keyboard meetup in 2018, highlighting the new Model F project.  The song and editing are so nice, I have to see it a few times!

And here's a nice F62 sound test that someone posted (I might have posted this one before)

F77 sound tests
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 May 2023, 23:37:45 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

PC World review:  Here is a nice review of the new Ultra Compact F104 from PC World:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1928356/model-f-ultra-compact-keyboard-review.html

Offline Ellipse

Stolen keyboard alert:

Sadly there is another stolen keyboard to be reported:  an ultra compact F104 with serial number 11.  Please do let me know if you come across this keyboard listed online, or if one does not have the correct serial label with the serial pictured.

Offline Ellipse

F15 Split, BS Ortho / Ergodox Style, and F50 reverse auction update:

I am hoping to wrap up the bids in the next week or two.  Feel free to join the reverse auction with the link below.  You can still get one of these keyboards by not participating in the auction, though the board will be priced higher for all of the remaining 10 or so boards of each type that are reserved for the public.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PqXBAtHVRHWHvheCSMXVNI96_zuhXMMhnrQ2piT6QLk/

Can anyone help set up the matrices for QMK?  I can provide screenshots of the PCB.  I would like to start testing these boards with QMK (currently the testing has been done with the original xwhatsit firmware).

Offline Ellipse

Production update - the factory is still refining the Model M style case tooling.  If the latest samples are approved then I hope production on the cases can start this month.  Since the inner assemblies have completed production and assembly, it should not be too long before the keyboards can be assembled and make their way into a shipping container, though production and finishing/powdercoating will take a couple months.  We are still looking at shipping out to everyone to start later this year.  Below shows a detail of the latest sample case.  The goal is to get the top and bottom cases to fit together as well as possible and to improve the quality of the countersinking of the screws on the bottom of the case.  They were designed to have gaps like the IBM originals but I don't want the gaps to be too big.

299775-0

Here is a terrific video testing many mods to the project's solenoid - it is interesting to hear how many different ways the solenoid can sound!

Looking around on YouTube I also came across two new Model F videos that are both not what I have seen before!  I cannot recommend the safety of what is done in the video, so definitely do not try at home!

« Last Edit: Sun, 11 June 2023, 12:21:35 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

Blog update posted:

Please see today's blog update post for a summary of the various goings-on with the project in recent months:
https://modelfkeyboards.com/blog

Offline Ellipse

As an update the factory has made good progress with the new key mold for the non-stepped ISO Enter, code, and PC AT Big Enter keys after much delay to get all of the particulars right. 

The factory is now just fine-tuning the key top texture and then hopefully production can start on these keys.  After they are sublimated I am hoping to open up orders for these keys and key sets with these keys.

Offline Ellipse

Project update:

I have just approved the Model M style cases to enter production.  Due to some quality issues it took many months extra to get the quality to where it is now.

Here's one photo from the approved sample - the gap in the back looks nice now.

Now the cases have to be die cast, drilled, and powdercoated, and then they can be assembled.  The F104s and FSSK inner assemblies are complete and the F122 working sample still needs to be completed (I need to do some more testing with the new Leyden Jar controller and the F122 before continuing).  I expect all to be on the same container shipment with the Round 2 beam spring boards, hopefully around year end.
300517-0

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
These look amazing

Offline Ellipse

Here is a nice "group photo" of the F122 case samples being unboxed, from earlier this year, one in each of the available colors:
300651-0

Offline Ellipse

Someone shared this link with me:  Linus reviewing various computer setups, including a setup from Wendell that includes the Ultra Compact FSSK!  About 7 1/2 minutes into the video:

Offline clay

Just ordered my third board.  I kinda like the website, it's like the unicomp site but worse.  This recent time I ordered an FSSK and just chose options without really knowing what they were.  IBM SSK Keycaps? Are they just the pearl & white ones I see in pictures? who knows, sounds good :p I'm sure I'll love it though, keep up the awesome work!

Is there a way to buy an extra spacebar or two?

its like the unicomp site but better  ;D

Offline Ellipse

Metal badge update - logo requests?

I am finalizing the artwork options for the 20x20mm metal badges.  There is a recessed spot for them on the F122 but they can be put on other keyboards as they will be adhesive.

1.  Buckling spring logo
2.  Beam spring logo
3.  Any other requests?

I want to avoid anything line art related so as not to confuse with IBM's style logo.  The dot matrix printing style should be ok to use however.

(click to expand the attached images as the colors are off in the thumbnails)
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 July 2023, 22:41:42 by Ellipse »

Offline clay

Hi Ellipse, I noticed that some products have been repriced, particularly the compact F104 being $349 and FSSK $299. Are these new prices permanent or just for a limited time? Thank you!

Offline Ellipse

Yes, I can confirm the noticeable price drops on the project web site primarily for the in-stock stuff.

Not sure yet on the timeline, but most of the in stock stuff is end of production so I strongly recommend ordering things now while the current pricing stands, whether to pick up an additional / backup keyboard while you can still buy one new, or joining the project for the first time if cost was holding you back before.

Offline Ellipse

Re: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F
« Reply #3231 on: Wed, 09 August 2023, 14:21:22 »
The remaining LED overlays arrived from the factory today, and I mailed out all the orders waiting only on LED overlays and nothing else.  I like the color of the beige overlay as it compares nicely with the originals.  The gray overlays have a touch of blue in them, in my opinion, and the black overlays' white areas also have a touch of blue in them.  I would probably request less blue for a future order.
301422-0

Any additional logos that should be produced?  I hope to finalize the production over the coming days.  So far the black logos (not the grayscale versions) of the F and Beam Spring will be produced, plus maybe a company logo abbreviation like MFL in a dot matrix style font.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 August 2023, 01:42:39 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

Re: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F
« Reply #3232 on: Fri, 11 August 2023, 23:10:40 »
Die casting of the Model M style cases continues, after production was approved to start late last month.  Here is an interesting video from the factory showing a case as it is cast.  There are a number of finishing operations required before the case can look nice and smooth for the powdercoating process.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3233 on: Sat, 12 August 2023, 19:15:12 »
Project featured on Linus Tech Tips ShortCircuit:
It was a great honor for the new Model F project to be featured on the Linus Tech Tips ShortCircuit YouTube channel today!

My reply posted in the YouTube comments is below, since it may be tough to find among the many comments:

"Hello, project coordinator here.  Thanks Nicholas and the entire ShortCircuit team for putting together a nice video covering the Brand New Model F Keyboard!  It is great to get the word out about these great keyboards that definitely take some getting used to! 

Kindly see my replies to some of the notes brought up in the video:

The pinginess / reverberation:  Some folks that prefer a Model F board without the higher pitch sounds.  The best thing about buckling spring keyboards is the a longstanding community that has come up with various repair and maintenance step by step guides and mods, including the Floss Mod and the grease mod, to reduce or eliminate the high-pitch / pinginess while typing.  My guess is that the main reason for the pinginess is the super thick steel plates reverberating inside the keyboard.

Why True Red?  Well it's the Pantone designation for the particular shade of red.  The factory prefers Pantone references when doing the finishing.

Recessed keys:  The reason for the extra recessed keys for a couple of the rows is that the Ultra Compact F104 case top in the video is flat and the Model F and Model M design require a curved plate inside the keyboard.  One result of this is that the key profiles are all uniform and a key can be installed on the various rows.  The Model M style F104, FSSK, and F122 cases are all curved where the keys are, just like the IBM originals, so the keys will stick out more evenly.

Casting:  The Ultra Compact cases for the F104 and FSSK were CNC milled and have 3 main parts, while the ultra compact cases for the F62 and F77 keyboards are die cast, while the first rounds of the compact F62/F77 boards were CNC milled.  The Model M style case Model F keyboards all have die cast cases.

Regarding the low serials, they are mainly there to allow folks to offer a little extra support to help cover the tens of thousands of dollars in project cost overruns, the near-endless express air mail sample charges over the years, etc.  Many folks also like a custom serial because it allows them to pick a date for the production date, like their birthday or an anniversary of some date.  In the Model M community forums it is always notable to get a board made the same year you were born, or if you were lucky, on your actual birthday (and actual birth year too!)."
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 August 2023, 19:19:22 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3234 on: Mon, 14 August 2023, 01:12:52 »
Can you believe over 100,000 views for the Model F Keyboard ShortCircuit video?  Who would have thought there was so much interest in the Model F!  It is great to see.

Due to the significant feedback I received after the video launch with folks not knowing much about the differences between Model M and Model F keyboards I made a quick video:

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3235 on: Thu, 17 August 2023, 18:19:29 »
JIS New Production Key Set:

After a number of requests, I have decided to proceed with making the JIS sets.  Previously these sets, as well as the APL sets, were Unicomp sets.  APL will remain Unicomp (unless someone wants to make the template as was done for the couple recent new layout submissions).  I will be making the JIS front print option (not shown below in my draft).

Can folks please check to correct my JIS mistakes and let me know what to fix before sending to the factory?

The first image shows what I updated, and the second image shows what Zed was working on (Zed is taking a well-deserved rest from the key set designs).  All text will be black - no green text as shown in the Zed draft.
301800-0

301798-1
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 August 2023, 21:45:00 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3236 on: Mon, 21 August 2023, 11:35:04 »
I have just ordered the metal Beam Spring and Model F badges.  They can now be ordered from

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/beam-spring-extras/

There are 2 options - the Model F style and the Beam Spring style (renderings are shown below).  If you would like for me to order additional styles, you will have to cover the tooling charges and commit to ordering 15 badges at a minimum.  The MFL logo was not ordered due to lack of interest. The beam spring one has the bottom edge cropped not touching the edge on purpose, since the image would be far smaller if the entire beam spring drawing was visible on the badge.

Badges and LED overlays are the same size as the IBM originals and can fit most Model M or Model F keyboards, with exception for the IBM XT and AT boards that use a larger badge.  These badges are 2cm x 2 cm.  The F122 is the only new production board that has a recessed spot for the badge but you can stick the badges anywhere on any of the Brand New Model F or Brand New Beam Spring keyboard cases.

The factory also has the capability to make the black badges with the raised silver printing as well as the large AT/XT style, so let me know if you want to cover the tooling and order minimums to make any of those styles.  I am working with the same factory that produced the badges listed in the below eBay link (not my link). Unfortunately I can't make anything copyrighted/trademarked. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124836963936

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3237 on: Tue, 22 August 2023, 22:19:02 »
IBM Color matching:
Some folks have been asking what are the exact colors of the IBM Beige and Industrial Gray.

I was able to use an i1 spectrophotometer to make the measurements, which have been sent to the factories making the cases.  Of course IBM's paint and plastic colors varied noticeably from case to case so your IBM case probably does not match these cases, so these values are provided to use at your own risk (probably better to take your case to the paint store where they can do an accurate match).  Also the texture of paint as well as the uneven dirtiness and wear of the 6110344 case also adds some variance to measurement as my particular spectrophotometer is not geared to measuring textures.  The beige on the screen looks quite different on my hardware calibrated monitor compared to viewing the keyboard itself, while the gray is similar.

Here are measurements of my F122 6110344 from 1984 and a brand new 1990s IBM Industrial Gray case.  I took 10 samples from different areas of each case and averaged them.

Beige
LAB_L   LAB_A   LAB_B   LAB_C   LAB_H
77.028   -1.431   8.603   8.721   99.444

Industrial Gray
LAB_L   LAB_A   LAB_B   LAB_C   LAB_H
49.034   -0.727   7.576   7.612   95.464
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 August 2023, 22:21:03 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3238 on: Tue, 22 August 2023, 22:19:43 »
(dup post)
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 August 2023, 22:21:19 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3239 on: Tue, 29 August 2023, 13:49:23 »
Here is a video of a thoroughly modded new Model F keyboard - floss mod, stripped paint off of the die cast aluminum compact case, lubed Unicomp keys, etc.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3240 on: Wed, 30 August 2023, 13:23:22 »
Firmware update:

I am now expecting to base the project firmware off of the latest NathanA updates to the pandrew QMK firmware, which allow the use of the pandrew utility and its signal level monitor, Vial, and the online version of the vial configuration tool. This tool is great - I was able to connect the keyboard running NathanA's updated firmware to the web site vial.rocks to reconfigure the keyboard without having to download anything or flash any firmware. Both the vial program and the vial web site both recognize any keyboard because they read the layout from the keyboard firmware - no need to load a json file or pick your keyboard and controller from a dropdown menu. So much easier. Are there any options on the QMK configurator that are missing from Vial?

In addition, I can report that the NathanA updated firmware (made from the same version of QMK that pandrew uses) is more stable than the firmware I generated from a later version of QMK, but still made before the big QMK updates. The latter one had some issues with repeated and missing keys, even after I removed and retightened both ground screws and removed and replaced two springs from frequently-transposed/switched keys. I also tested the Arkku calibration setup in the NathanA firmware and that also worked well.

Currently the firmware works without any issues on the round 2 FSSK/F104 boards. Again a big thanks to NathanA!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3241 on: Wed, 30 August 2023, 21:51:50 »
More firmware news:

wolfman is wrapping up the approval process for the refactoring to get the xwhatsit accepted into the main QMK project.  Here are the details:  https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/pull/21193

Everyone feel free to test out this refactored firmware and let us know the feedback! 

Offline TjarleN

« Reply #3242 on: Fri, 01 September 2023, 06:58:08 »
wish the 122 case would feature cross arrows

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #3243 on: Fri, 01 September 2023, 11:58:56 »
Does the new firmware also work on the 122 keyboard?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G986B met Tapatalk

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3244 on: Fri, 01 September 2023, 12:53:59 »
The F122 and B122 are actually using the Leyden Jar controller, which runs a different, modified version of QMK (this controller has the 2 extra columns needed for all of the keys, compared to the project's xwhatsit controller).  Feel free to ask the coordinator directly about which branch is run on it and plans to update it.  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=117555.0

TjarleN you can add cross arrows (the 5 cursor keys instead of 4) to the F122 as it has all of the pads and cut out holes for the barrels pre-made.  The only thing you'd have to do is trim that area around the case.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3245 on: Fri, 01 September 2023, 12:54:17 »
dup post

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3246 on: Fri, 01 September 2023, 12:54:44 »
dup post

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3247 on: Sat, 02 September 2023, 17:19:07 »
Firmware updates continued:
Is anyone able to help Rico add support for the pandrew utility and its signal level monitor to the Leyden Jar controller? 
https://github.com/mymakercorner/Leyden_Jar
The pandrew utility is great for testing all of the keys at one time to quickly visualize any controller or key issues.

Currently the Leyden Jar is working very well in testing; I have noticed no issues so far.  The controller is very solid.  I hope to test the Rev3 version soon, once it arrives from JLCPCB.  It works well in Vial as well, where you can click check marks to easily switch on and off various options such as NKRO. 

depletedvespene - wolfman started with F62 for the refactoring submission, as they wanted only one keyboard at a time and count each variation separately, but the f77 should be able to be added if you download and modify the code:  https://github.com/matthew-wolf-n4mtt/qmk_firmware/tree/model_f_labs/keyboards/model_f_labs

Once the NathanA firmware files are tested working on the 3 new boards (F50, F15, and Model F Split Ergonomic) then I hope to mail out the boards. 

I have also done some more research on the connection of the two split boards.  The hid-remapper project coordinator confirmed that we can use a USB hub to connect the two boards to share function layers (for example, pressing FN on one board to activate the function layer on both boards).  hid-remapper can be updated through a web site, no software downloads needed.

I plan on ordering QTY 50 of the v1 custom hid-remapper RP2040 board from JLCPCB, along with 50 usb hubs (plus a few extras of each to be safe).  https://github.com/jfedor2/hid-remapper/tree/master/custom-boards

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3248 on: Sun, 10 September 2023, 15:32:42 »
In addition to NathanA's success with updating the various Model F keyboards to support Vial perfectly, Rico has made some exciting progress on the Leyden Jar Rev. 3 RP2040 controller, which is expected to be the default for the current round of the F122 and B122, and eventually for other boards when the ATMEGA-based stock is depleted.  Rico's controller also works perfectly in my testing.

The current step is to get the Leyden Jar firmware working with the additional columns added with Rev. 3: 

https://www.keebtalk.com/t/the-leyden-jar-a-tentative-pcb-replacement-for-the-brand-new-model-f-keyboards/17489/28

One big advantage of the board is increased memory with the RP2040.  NathanA noted that the new Vial firmware for the ATMEGA controllers are getting closer and closer to filling up all of the available space.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3249 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 02:00:02 »
I have just approved production of the dye sublimated badges.  Almost no factories I asked even had the capability of dye sublimation to aluminum.  They tried the UV printing option which was fine on its own but a bit fuzzier when compared directly to the dye sublimated option, as shown below.  Now available to order here:

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/beam-spring-extras/

On the production units, there will be no alignment marks and the brush marks will be horizontal like on my original IBM F122 badge.  Also the sample edges appear slightly curved as they were not stamped/cut clean like with the production badges but they appear to have been cut by tin snips or a similar tool.

Also the beam spring badge images look slightly blurry because they left the protective film on the sample for the beam spring badge photos.  They removed it for the Model F photo.

Another change is that they said they will not crop the bottom of the beam spring image.  I initially thought it would be better cropped before the edge, but the gap just looks a bit out of place.