Author Topic: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Group Buy Launching June 1st!  (Read 182230 times)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
[IC] The Banana Split 60 - Group Buy Launching June 1st!
« on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 22:56:20 »
Group Buy live at thevankeyboards.com

Working on getting a Group Buy page approved.

Mod edit: GB Link

Hey guys I came up with this layout after being inspired by Evan's minivan. So I created a 60% layout with a dedicated arrow key cluster and a split spacebar design. To utilize both of your thumbs to maximum efficiency! To compensate I had to remove and move some of the right cluster keys. In favor you get an arrow key cluster with split spacebars. The split spacebars are standard right shift keys 2.25u (enter) and 2.75u (righ shift). The layout fits standard 60% dimensions which will allow the use of standard 60% cases ie. Poker and TEX. So together with Evangs I bring you this new unique layout, if there is enough interest Evan will gladly make these PCBs and we can look at a small group buy.

Supported Layouts:

Keyboard Layout Editor: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/d2434b33429ff2fccd21e02ee1f082b3

Updates:

Group Buy Interest Poll!
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSceCVpbZkCy-vVFW4zkt7kl2dXsD3iNDB3KfvSsx7uZg57QaA/viewform

Newsletter for future group buy updates!
https://goo.gl/forms/FB0i4kv0nxmR8XSH3

Plate Prototype (3/17/17):

Keyboard Mockup (3/18/17)

Plate Renders:

More
Here are the renders for the universal plate. The plate will support all layouts supported by the pcb. The material will be Stainless Steel T304 with a 1.5mm thickness!  :thumb:

Keycap Set (Scrapped for now, will make a comeback!):
More
New update announcing the supported key cap set me and Evan have been working on. When making this set I was personally inspired by the fabulous colors of tropical coral and diver culture. We are still running through name ideas like "Deep Dive" and "Swimming with the Fishes". The set will be in DSA and will support all layouts supported by our PCB. The images are rough and they are there to give you an idea of how the set will look like. The set will only include a base kit, all the keycaps you see you will get with no additional cost. The set will be available with the launch of the PCB as an option for people who want it.

2D Renders:

3D Renders:

I can't wait to hear back from you guys, and like always flood the forum with feedback and suggestions!  :thumb:

Features:
-Standard 60% PCB (ANSI/ISO) + splitspacebar and arrow key cluster layouts
-Support for top mounted in switch leds (backlighting)
-RGB underglow Delayed for future rounds
-We'll be using an atmega32u4 with TMK. All smd components are presoldered only thing you need to do is add LEDs and switches.

Schedule:
-Plate Design (Done)
-Plate Prototyping (Done)
-PCB Design (Done)
-PCB prototyping (Currently Working on)
-Plate manufacturer (Done)
-GB Launch
-Invoice orders
-Production
-Shipment

FAQ:

What will be offered in this group buy?

The Banana Split PCB, Universal Plate, and pcb stabilizer pack (one 6.25u and 6 2u) each can be purchased separately or together. No limit to how many you can buy.

Is there an estimated price on this PCB + plate GB + stabilizers?

$40 for the PCB, $40 for the Stainless Steel Plate and $10 for the stabilizers.

When will the group buy launch?

I’d like to shoot for late march - early april, but that is still tentative.
Aiming for end of may!

PCB or Plate Mounted Stabilizers?

The PCB and plate will only support PCB mounted stabilizers, you would have to get a custom plate cut if you wanted compatibility with plate mounted stabilizers.

Will it be compatible with common 60% cases?

YES! Big reason I prefer 60>65, more case availability.

Is there alps support?

Sadly no, might be something to look into for future rounds.

Where's the question mark key?

The right shift key will be programmed so that when tapped it will register as a "?" but when held it will function regularly.

How will we program the board?

You can either directly program it through qmk firmware, or through evan's keyboard configurator which will easily allow you to design your ideal layout without dabbling in code.

Things to consider for future rounds.

-ALPS support

-Dedicated keycap set

-Split-spacebar pack (I might run a seperate GB for this)

-More plate materials ie (Aluminum, Brass)

-Custom case (Milled aluminum, acrylic mid piece)

-RGB Underglow

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate and ask!

« Last Edit: Sun, 04 June 2017, 10:55:27 by user 18 »

Offline Jmeferlater

You know this already, but I really like this layout you've made. Really like 60% with arrow keys, and case support is pretty big for me too
Also exciting to hear Evan is willing to help out
Definitely interested  :thumb:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
It sounds like you only have the intention of having those two layouts. What about having normal layouts? All that needs to be made is a standard 60% PCB with your editions.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
It sounds like you only have the intention of having those two layouts. What about having normal layouts? All that needs to be made is a standard 60% PCB with your editions.

I'm open to suggestions the goal of this pcb is have a 60% layout with dedicated arrow keys and a split spacebar design while maintaining the same dimensions. I'm not too sure what you mean if you could clarify that would be great :D.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker

Have those layouts, and then add your layouts on top so you create a really good, universal PCB. I think if you can combine the pre-existing "universal" PCB, and add your stuff on top it will appeal to everyone and not struggle for a MOQ.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Oh I see what you mean now. Great idea I'll add that in a bit. Thank you

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
Show Image

Have those layouts, and then add your layouts on top so you create a really good, universal PCB. I think if you can combine the pre-existing "universal" PCB, and add your stuff on top it will appeal to everyone and not struggle for a MOQ.

I agree, I've wanted a standard 60% pcb with a split spacebar for a long time, but dont want dedicated arrow keys.

I'd buy multiple is this was an option!

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Well done thank you for the input guys I'll run it through with evan to see if this is achievable.

Offline zeltner

I'd be interested if the split space was available with the other "standard" layout options. I have no need for dedicated arrow keys on a 60% board as I keep those in a function layer anyway. And the lack of right shift key kills it for me since I regularly use both shift keys.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Yup just updated, only yesterday did I realize people use the right shift. To me it always seemed obsolete.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
I have some work to do but later tonight I will update the post with all possible layouts.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
Transit van?
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline kawasaki161

I don't know, I think keycap compatability might become an issue. Here is something I came up with that would use unused keys from full keysets:

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
I don't think it should be too much of an issue the split spacebars are 2.75u which is standard for right shift, and a 2u isn't too uncommon. Obviously some creativity will be needed.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Transit van?

Just added it to the name suggestions, we can have a poll later once we get some more name ideas.

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
Really like the HHKB Style Backspace layout... I'd love to take this for a test drive.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
Transit van?

Just added it to the name suggestions, we can have a poll later once we get some more name ideas.
:))

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
Transit van?

Cargo Van

And as some actual questions and things, is the stagger altered on the no arrow layout? Is the left shift 2u or 2.25u? I would buy one in a heartbeat if it is compatible with all 60% cases. Split Spacebar, left shift, and backspace (anything for more keys), I love. Looking forward to this.

« Last Edit: Mon, 26 September 2016, 17:37:18 by Deductivemonkee »

Offline depreshun

• Reddit: risingremains
60% with arrows keys is my favorite.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
i think this needs to be the new GH60 keyboard ;) FTW :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Just updated the post, now any changes made from ANSI/ISO will be shown as a different color. I'm still talking to evan but he said it is probably possible to fit all of this onto one PCB. Will have another update confirming this.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Transit van?

Cargo Van

And as some actual questions and things, is the stagger altered on the no arrow layout? Is the left shift 2u or 2.25u? I would buy one in a heartbeat if it is compatible with all 60% cases. Split Spacebar, left shift, and backspace (anything for more keys), I love. Looking forward to this.

The non arrow key split spacebar layout will still allow a regular sized shift on both sides. And yes the goal is that this will fit all standard 60% cases. Hope that answered your questions :D.

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
Wasn't there an HHKB style layout that still had the split spacebar + arrow key cluster? Did that change?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Wasn't there an HHKB style layout that still had the split spacebar + arrow key cluster? Did that change?

As long as the changed keys don't overlap the idea is that you can have the hhkb style backspace with the arrow key cluster + spacebar, sorry if that's confusing I thought the way I redid it seemed more simpler.

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
ah gotcha!

Thanks!!!

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
Transit van?

Cargo Van

The non arrow key split spacebar layout will still allow a regular sized shift on both sides. And yes the goal is that this will fit all standard 60% cases. Hope that answered your questions :D.
Which one has a standard stagger on shift row?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

[/quote]

The non-arrow key cluster splitspacebar version

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker

The non-arrow key cluster splitspacebar version
[/quote]
Thanks. .25u different probably won't affect typing hopefully.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
I played around with it for a while, we have to make sacrifices if we want an arrow key cluster in a standard 60% form factor. I can't imagine the new staggered row would change anything. Also aesthetically it looks so much better.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 September 2016, 20:49:58 by Arhipio »

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
Could the left shift split into two 1u keys be supported?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Could the left shift split into two 1u keys be supported?

I want to see if these can be made into a single PCB, once evan says everything checks out with what we, then we can look into adding more options. Atm I think we have the more popular options covered.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
 I think I'm 60%'d out, but I really dig the split-spacebar idea, and a dedicated arrow cluster is pretty intriguing too. I'll keep my eyes open for a GB and re-decide then.

So, the minivan was smaller, wasn't it...? Otherwise I'd suggest something like "the stationwagon" for your moniker. I guess I'll suggest it anyway, see how it goes.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
I'm so excited to see that someone finally (want to) make a 60% keyboard with split spacebar.
as I have converted from normal keyboard to HHKB style, I can no longer go back.

But, for me, HHKB is still lacking, I came up with a design:

though after completing the prototype,
3u spacebar is a hassle, so I decided to revise my design:

to be honest, I have not gotten used to the RShift at that position, even though I don't have to move my hand away from home key (my right thumb is useless, lol)
the "numpad" are not as effective as I expect but I will leave it there ;D

seems my dream board will soon be built :thumb:

oh, sorry that I don't have any suggestions for the name, I'm bad at naming  :(
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 September 2016, 04:00:00 by Tom_Kazansky »

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
maybe you can find a good name after you watch this documentary:

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
How does "The Banana Split" sound to you guys :D?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker

Reminds me of that terrifying TV show

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker

Fak double post

« Last Edit: Tue, 27 September 2016, 15:31:13 by Deductivemonkee »

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Post updated with some polls you guys should check out :D. The polls are at the bottom of the original post.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Polls:

PCB Features
http://www.strawpoll.me/11316606

Would there be interest in a keycap set paired with the pcb that would cover the entire board. For people who just want a pcb that option would still be there. Maybe a completely new DSA set made by SP?
http://www.strawpoll.me/11316652
I wish I could select more than 1 option in the first poll. Also focus on a PCB, there are too many keysets coming out.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Polls:

PCB Features
http://www.strawpoll.me/11316606

Would there be interest in a keycap set paired with the pcb that would cover the entire board. For people who just want a pcb that option would still be there. Maybe a completely new DSA set made by SP?
I wish I could select more than 1 option in the first poll. Also focus on a PCB, there are too many keysets coming out.

My bad let me fix that.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 September 2016, 16:15:29 by Arhipio »

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Fixed you can now vote on multiple options for the PCB features poll.

Offline doostin

Split-space, arrow keys, and HHKB delete in 60%?! You have my interest :thumb:

Offline Nerdiary

• All my knitting is done in bash
Spilt spacebar 60%? I'm in

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Tell me what you guys think about this, me and evan just redid the original design, the shift is brought to a standard 2.25 making the bottom stagger standard. We swapped out the 1u (? /) for a 1.75 while maintaining the arrow key cluster. Using a tap mod, when the key is pressed it uses its original function (ie ? /), if you hold it down it would serve as a right shift.

Offline braidn

Split space bar 60 with HHKB like split BS would be super amaze. Laden on some QMK love and it would be pretty epic

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
Tell me what you guys think about this, me and evan just redid the original design, the shift is brought to a standard 2.25 making the bottom stagger standard. We swapped out the 1u (? /) for a 1.75 while maintaining the arrow key cluster. Using a tap mod, when the key is pressed it uses its original function (ie ? /), if you hold it down it would serve as a right shift.

I like the layout.  I'm a fan of putting a second function on a key on long press as a way to incorporate functions on smaller keyboards.  It works great with using the TouchCursor to implement a SpaceFn layout.  Regack also used that method for tab, caps lock, and left shift on his 59% keyboard layout.  However, if you want a dedicated right shift and aren't committed to an inverted-T arrow cluster, you could have a 1.75u right shift and an L-shaped arrow cluster like this.

I like having the arrow cluster on the IJKL keys, so I wouldn't be totally heartbroken if I didn't have dedicated arrow keys.  I'm pursuing my own layout, so take my input with a grain of salt, but it's good to see interest in 60% layouts with split spacebars.  If JD Carpe had added a number key row to the JD45, I'd probably be typing this on that right now.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
Polls:

PCB Features
http://www.strawpoll.me/11316797

I think you should focus on the PCB first, led can come later, though underglow is nice :)
I also don't really care about the led, so in-switch (normal) led is fine for me.

it would be nice to have a dedicated keyset, I know you can buy and combine keysets, but that would be a waste (I think the price would also be higher)

just my personal opinion  :))

Offline depreshun

• Reddit: risingremains

With this layout, would it be an option to make the right 3 1u keys, 2 1.5u key instead? (No winkey)

And I like the idea of tap for ?/ and hold for shift. I've seen the pictures of the XD60 from taobao and I'm not quite sure how hard it'd be to adjust to the ? being so far away.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

I like the layout.  I'm a fan of putting a second function on a key on long press as a way to incorporate functions on smaller keyboards.  It works great with using the TouchCursor to implement a SpaceFn layout.  Regack also used that method for tab, caps lock, and left shift on his 59% keyboard layout.  However, if you want a dedicated right shift and aren't committed to an inverted-T arrow cluster, you could have a 1.75u right shift and an L-shaped arrow cluster like this.

(Attachment Link)

I like having the arrow cluster on the IJKL keys, so I wouldn't be totally heartbroken if I didn't have dedicated arrow keys.  I'm pursuing my own layout, so take my input with a grain of salt, but it's good to see interest in 60% layouts with split spacebars.  If JD Carpe had added a number key row to the JD45, I'd probably be typing this on that right now.

I definitely wan't to keep the arrow key cluster to an inverted t. The right shift was added because a lot of people wanted it.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Show Image

With this layout, would it be an option to make the right 3 1u keys, 2 1.5u key instead? (No winkey)

And I like the idea of tap for ?/ and hold for shift. I've seen the pictures of the XD60 from taobao and I'm not quite sure how hard it'd be to adjust to the ? being so far away.

Atm I want to only use the layouts we have. Once we can confirm that we can fit all of these onto one pcb we will look into adding popular layouts/additions. I'll definitely keep your idea noted :D.