Author Topic: Need to raise sides of split keyboard by 1 inch  (Read 1126 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Need to raise sides of split keyboard by 1 inch
« on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 05:35:50 »
I am now using a split layout keyboard. I am enjoying myself but have felt that things would be better if I could tilt the keyboards at least 30 degrees. Prototyping with styrofoam, I conclude that I need to raise the inner sides by at least an inch. So now my keyboards are now resting on styrofoam.

Looking at 3M's catalogue, I found that there are no hemispheric bumpons more than 0.4" in height. I checked other websites under bumper and didn't find anything that can help me raise by one inch relatively painlessly.

Should I be doing machining to make these legs or tilt supports for the keyboard? Could anyone give some suggestions how to construct permanent supports for my split layout keyboard? I would prefer to work with wood since it's so much easier to cut and sand.

I also welcome suggestions for attaching styrofoam legs more securely. Double sided tape is not working because I can't cut the styroform accurately enough.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 March 2015, 05:37:41 by berserkfan »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Need to raise sides of split keyboard by 1 inch
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 09:31:20 »
You can cut plastic boxes; I believe I've seen that somewhere… perhaps plainbriny's ErgoDox? Wood is another option.
You can 3D print a stand; it's been done for the ErgoDox.
You can simply buy Kinesis V3.

3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Re: Need to raise sides of split keyboard by 1 inch
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 10:16:51 »
You can cut plastic boxes; I believe I've seen that somewhere… perhaps plainbriny's ErgoDox? Wood is another option.
You can 3D print a stand; it's been done for the ErgoDox.
You can simply buy Kinesis V3.

3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener

Thanks for the inspiration.

Plainbriny's work is here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55043.0

The thumb cluster is exactly how I feel ergodoxes should be like - with thumbs much closer.

Have yet to decide what to do about the tenting for my keyboard. Styrofoam is actually great (no movement and total sound insulation) except when I have to move the keyboard. Gotta find some way to attach the styroform more securely.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.