Author Topic: My Phantom and future 60% build!  (Read 7193 times)

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
My Phantom and future 60% build!
« on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 08:00:01 »
Hey guys,

I thought I would post up my build log for my phantom and 60% build which I will be doing. I want to get some recommendations on the 60% build as I don't know much about the PCB vendors etc for this.

Here are the parts I have got/ will be using:

Case: Vortex Aluminium TKL case - Silver
PCB: Phantom PCB
Controller: Teensie 2.0
Plate: Custom laser cut aluminium
Switches: To be confirmed where they are going, but I have got 50 Greens, 20 blues, 50 browns and 20 clears.
Keycaps: Black and dark grey with little design changes from WASD

All the resistors, LED's etc are here already.

Here is the first mistake of the build log so far...

Custom Keyboard Plate by Mat Teague, on Flickr

Nothing looks wrong with it... Well the gap between the function keys and the printscreen buttons etc is too large! This means that it will not fit in the case and not allow the keycaps to fit correctly...

However, I have been talking to JDCarpe (He has been helping me out a lot (Thanks JDCarpe for being so patient with me!)) and I have now got a design which is going to the laser cutting company tomorrow (Monday) to get cut!

So, now it is question time. I need to buy myself a 60% PCB for this layout (http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/):

[{y:1.5},"Esc","!\n1\n\n\nF1","\"\n2\n\n\nF2","£\n3\n\n\nF3","$\n4\n\n\nF4","%\n5\n\n\nF5","^\n6\n\n\nF6","&\n7\n\n\nF7","*\n8\n\n\nF8","(\n9\n\n\nF9",")\n0\n\n\nF10","_\n-\n\n\nF11","+\n=\n\n\nF12",{w:2},"Backspace"],
[{w:1.5},"Tab","Q","W\n\n\n\n↑","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P\n\n\n\nPrtSc","{\n[\n\n\nScrLk","}\n]\n\n\nPause",{x:0.25,w:1.25,h:2,w2:1.5,h2:1,x2:-0.25},"Enter"],
[{w:1.75},"Caps Lock","A\n\n\n\n←","S\n\n\n\n↓","D\n\n\n\n→","F","G","H","J","K","L",":\n;\n\n\nInsert","@\n'\n\n\nHome","~\n#\n\n\nPageU"],
[{w:1.25},"Shift","|\n\\\n\n\n¬","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M","<\n,\n\n\nDelete",">\n.\n\n\nEnd","?\n/\n\n\nPageD",{w:2.75},"Shift"],
[{w:1.25},"Ctrl",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Alt",{w:6.25},"",{w:1.25},"AltGr",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"FN",{w:1.25},"Ctrl"]

Does anyone know where I can get a 60% ISO layout from? I have already got the plate sorted out... (  I am going to cut down the plate which I got wrong.) So I just need to sort the PCB now. Case can be sorted later as I am sure they are a much of a muchness...
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 March 2015, 08:09:22 by the pokemon kid »

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
Re: My Phantom and future 60% build!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 08:38:45 »
So here we go!

I have made some progress on this now! Here are some pictures for you to take a ganders at!

The phantom PCB!

Custom Phantom Keyboard by Mat Teague, on Flickr

The switches, Not sure on the layout yet...

The Vortex Aluminium casing

It is pretty much two solid chunks of Aluminium

I then soldered the Diodes to the PCB! Not the best soldering in the world but it works... I guess :D

A closeup of my magnificent soldering!

Soldered in the Teensy controller!

The custom plate is turning up shortly and I have just flashed the Teensy controllers firmware! Once I get the plate, I will spray it to the right colour and then be adding all the switches etc in place! I cannot wait!!!!

Offline Charger

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 10:28:16 »
looks good

I'm not sure if it matches your layout but gonskeyboardworks has a 60% pcb but if your plate holds the stabilizers then it may be a good start to a hand wired or pcb-less keyboard

this seems like an easier place to follow the build then ltt lol

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 10:50:15 »
looks good

I'm not sure if it matches your layout but gonskeyboardworks has a 60% pcb but if your plate holds the stabilizers then it may be a good start to a hand wired or pcb-less keyboard

this seems like an easier place to follow the build then ltt lol

I got a message back from GonsKeyboarboards the other day. it will fit! So... I might well be getting one of those too :D

Yeh, I created a thread on LTT so I could create a little guide as im sure there is less information on there about building keyboards than here!

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 11:51:42 »
Part two of the build!

I got the Keyboard plate through and I have prepped and given it a coat of primer!

Custom Phantom Keyboard Part 2 by Mat Teague, on Flickr

Now a coat of Satin silver!

Here is a birds eye shot of the keyboard and its layout!

Here is a nice side shot of the aluminium case and the switch layout!

A nice tasty closeup of the switches!

Some more photos of the finished board to come! Still waiting on the stabilisers!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 12:12:18 »
Looking great so far! :thumb:
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 13:40:19 »
Good looking build, and some great pics :thumb:
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 13:46:27 »
Very Nice! I like the white PCB more than my black.. :( I made a poker with silent alpha switches and a clicky space bar like that and I think I'm going to change the space bar to a clear now. Lookin' Good!
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 14:18:27 »
Looking great so far! :thumb:

Thanks man! I wouldn't be at this stage without your help!

Good looking build, and some great pics :thumb:

Thanks, A few more pics to come!

Very Nice! I like the white PCB more than my black.. :( I made a poker with silent alpha switches and a clicky space bar like that and I think I'm going to change the space bar to a clear now. Lookin' Good!

Yeh, the white PCB is nice!

Hopefully I will also be making a poker soon. I am going to be using Green and blue switches for it! Uber clicky!!

I have got a clear on my space bar currently and I can really feel it after a few hours of coding! Thumb starts to ache a little! The greens on this new board are really going to give it a work out!

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 12:29:30 »
Well... Here is the final images of the keyboard! I am so happy with the keyboard! It is an absolute tank of a keyboard!

Black and dark grey in an ISO layout!

Phantom Custom keyboard Part 3 by Mat Teague, on Flickr

Sprayed him black to match the build!

Representing!

WASD have done a sick job as usual!

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 12:39:42 »
Thanks for the build log  :thumb:

Still haven't build mine, because I haven't sourced a nice case yet.

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 12:43:23 »
Thanks for the build log  :thumb:

Still haven't build mine, because I haven't sourced a nice case yet.

The vortex gets a +1 from me! It weighs a tonne! great build quality!

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 12:46:50 »
Yeah, I wanted to buy this one, but it has been out of stock for ages :(

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=281

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 14:01:55 »
Yeah, I wanted to buy this one, but it has been out of stock for ages :(

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=281

Yeh, they have been out of stock for a long time! You could always get a vortex and get it sprayed...

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 04:23:14 »
Nice work man!
I wanted to leave a message so I could find this again when I get on a computer lol
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 06:51:36 »
Nice work man!
I wanted to leave a message so I could find this again when I get on a computer lol

Message away! I am happy that this is going to help someone out!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 14:50:16 »
mmmm build logs. I love them. Great pictures too :D

Offline nova779

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 08:45:07 »
How well does the plate fit in this case, everything I've seen says that it doesn't fit and you need to have adapters of some sort.

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 13:40:50 »
How well does the plate fit in this case, everything I've seen says that it doesn't fit and you need to have adapters of some sort.

The plate doesn't really fit at all. It's designed for the Filco plates that have the bent edges.

You can also make PCB standoffs out of Sugru, since the adapters are basically impossible to come by unless you talk to the maker of them.

My Phantom is still a WIP in getting it into the Vortex alu case (no time!), but I have all the stuff. I have the adapters for the case, so it should fit in there okay. I need to take the board apart and move the Teensy closer..

The Teensy is really the biggest issue, the plate is easily fixed. To get it into the case, you need to solder the Teensy flush with the Phantom PCB, and use a mini-USB with a bare connector (you need a bit of insulation because the metal from the Teensy and USB will touch the case) plugged into the Teensy. Even then it still hits the bottom of the case, and the case can only be screwed down almost all of the way.

If someone had the right tools, you could drill a space out of bottom of the case to make room for the Teensy connector, or hack the Teensy up a bit so that it's directly wired.

OP, did you use a custom Phantom plate, or the standard Phantom plate? My standard ANSI150 plate doesn't fit at all without adapters or Sugru or something to hold it up so that the case clamps it down.

P.S. Really nice board, you're inspiring me to finish getting mine out of its Filco case. I'm considering scrapping my black Phantom PCB for the white one, they look nice and my black one is pretty beat up.

Also did you say you SPRAY PAINTED A CC??  :eek:
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 April 2015, 13:42:43 by meow a cat »

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline telnet

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 02:36:48 »

OP, did you use a custom Phantom plate, or the standard Phantom plate? My standard ANSI150 plate doesn't fit at all without adapters or Sugru or something to hold it up so that the case clamps it down.

P.S. Really nice board, you're inspiring me to finish getting mine out of its Filco case. I'm considering scrapping my black Phantom PCB for the white one, they look nice and my black one is pretty beat up.

My phantom plate doesn't sit nicely in the vortex case, it's a bit too low.  I'm planning on using some rubber feet and trimming them to make it fit nicely in the case.
I'm going to hand-wire and skip the PCB, this way I can use the rubber feet as standoffs on the bottom of the plate.

QFR Frosty Flake | 7bit Phantom

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 16:28:41 »

My phantom plate doesn't sit nicely in the vortex case, it's a bit too low.  I'm planning on using some rubber feet and trimming them to make it fit nicely in the case.
I'm going to hand-wire and skip the PCB, this way I can use the rubber feet as standoffs on the bottom of the plate.

Try looking into Sugru, it's really easy to work with and dries into a rubber that sticks but can be removed without damaging most things. It would be easier than shaving down rubber feet. Its pretty cheap, $15 for a bunch of it.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 10:51:52 »

It fits, but it is a very tight one! The teensy controller doesn't fit well at all! It pushed the board up a bit...

Without routing a section out for it, there isn't much I can do... However, it doesn't have any effect on the typing experience at all!

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 10:55:48 »

I used the standard Phantom plate as far as I am aware. The one off mechanicalkeyboards.com...
I just placed mine in at it fit! It sticks up a little where the controller is but I have no issues with it. There is some little shelf like parts on the inside of mine and the top and bottom (Internally) which the plate sits on.

Well I would of gone for the black PCB if it was on sale but the only one I could find was the white.

No, I have had a few people ask now. It is a K3KC knock off. (Dont want to say it too loud as a few people dont like what he does...)

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 10:57:39 »

Mine fits, but only just! I am very happy with the outcome of it! So now I can start planning my 60% build!