Author Topic: Mod/build project: The Heritage computer  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
Mod/build project: The Heritage computer
« on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 07:40:20 »
To go with my custom 60% alps keyboard, I've started to sketch, plan and gather stuff to build a computer in the same style.

The inspiration comes from the Xerox Alto, Apple I, classic Macintosh computers and the PLATO V terminal.

It will be based on a 2010 MacBook with the display taken apart and the rest probably left in the top case and built into the wood housing as is, exposing only the ports facing downwards in the back, the vent slots and the power button at the back. The optical drive will be replaced by a 500GB HDD (for backups and downloads) and the main drive will be a 128 GB SSD. Not a speed monster, but the intended use is word processing, so it'll do. The thing that makes this computer special aside from the wood housing will be the vertical (portrait) display. Not very common these days, but there is relevant history reference in the Alto and the Macintosh Portrait Display, and for word processing it's really great. I've started to hack/build the mouse. I have cut down an old Logitech mouse, leaving a bottom plate with the pcb and the scroll wheel to fit in the oak housing. I've modded the pcb so the scroll wheel will be the "left click" button, and removed the micro switches for left and right buttons, making it a one button mouse with scroll function. I always ctrl-click instead of right click, so for me this makes perfect sense :) The mouse will also probably get a micro usb jack in the front, making it easier to switch cables as I like.

The computer will look something like this in the end… hopefully :)

Suggestions are welcome! :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 March 2015, 07:42:01 by Yoe »

Offline tufty

Re: Mod/build project: The Heritage computer
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 14:49:43 »
Oooh, nice idea.

I like portrait displays.  Had a display that swivelled, back in the day.

IMO it's all too square, though (same goes for your keyboard; I *love* what you've done to the board itself but the wooden case looks wrong, to me at least) and rather too Mac Classic.  But then I think design's all been downhill since the case for Computer Space.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 01:37:53 »
Computer Space? Haha, well I can see why you're not much for square cases then :D For me, the most beautiful computers of yore are the Mac SE and the Plato V terminal. However, I think I might have to throw some more action into the design. Even to me it looks a bit too square and monolithic.

Offline tufty

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 12:22:43 »
If you round it off a bit, you get something like the blit.  That would be really nice.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 13:16:08 »
That reminds me of the CPT Phoenix:

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 01:59:24 »
If you round it off a bit, you get something like the blit.  That would be really nice.

That's a thought. I'll see what I can do. I'm building it from 8x143mm oak planks, so I'm a bit limited by that. Also, I'm quite limited by the tools at hand. I'm using hand tools and a dremel for everything.. :) Carpentry is not my forte, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 April 2015, 02:05:04 by Yoe »

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 02:03:25 »
That reminds me of the CPT Phoenix:
Show Image

It does! I think I've seen some other word processor machines with that kind of look too. And some table top mirrors.. :)

Offline neverused

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 15:47:01 »
Did you ever make progress on this?

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 07:59:50 »
Did you ever make progress on this?

Nah, it got put on hold when I didn't find the kind of sheet wood I needed for it. Still looking for it now and then, and the other components of the build are just waiting..

Some day.. :)