Author Topic: TrulyErgonomic vs Kinesis Advantage Pro  (Read 96064 times)

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
TrulyErgonomic vs Kinesis Advantage Pro
« Reply #200 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 08:18:57 »
Yes the preproduction models look great. I got a 'no lettering all black' stealth model.

They're not willing to commit to a new delivery date, probably good idea since they've missed so many. But I feel vindicated and am looking forward to my dream keyboard.

I'm guessing late summer.
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #201 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 08:34:14 »
I asked if I could change my blank one to one with legends...I think it will be a royal pain getting use to the layout otherwise (and, I like the font).  :)

Offline Keymonger

« Reply #202 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 08:38:06 »
I ordered the blank one. I intend to use it for games also which use Qwerty layout. This seems like a problem, but I've given it some thought and I believe it is possible to type letters by sight even if they are blank. Especially on this board where the keys are arranged in a way that gives you points of reference with the staggering and all. I'm doomed if I'm wrong though. :P

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #203 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 09:54:05 »
I use all macs and hate it when there's PC lettering, additionally I'm doing some remapping. Putting the brackets on the corners as they're used so much for programming. I adapt to touch typing new layouts quite easily (I play the piano)

I really like the keycap slant, especially regarding the letters versus center row versus space bars. Wondered how iit would be to distinguish those by touch.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #204 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 09:58:22 »
Also, as I need Command, Option and Control (plus caps) I get all on both L&R, unlike the Kinesis. And it's relatively compact, mechanical function keys, dream come true .... anybody want to buy a pair of lightly used Kinesis Advantage Pros?

Offline sordna

« Reply #205 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 11:09:11 »
Quote from: Architect;331312
Yes the preproduction models look great. I got a 'no lettering all black' stealth model.

Pics please !!!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Jim66

« Reply #206 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 12:27:30 »
Ooooo, nice pics!!

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #207 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 22:14:43 »
Quote from: Architect;331363
Also, as I need Command, Option and Control (plus caps) I get all on both L&R, unlike the Kinesis. And it's relatively compact, mechanical function keys, dream come true .... anybody want to buy a pair of lightly used Kinesis Advantage Pros?

Where is the Command (or Windows key) on the TE?
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #208 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 22:37:53 »
Where ever you want it, supposed to be re-mappable. Most USB keyboard controllers these days are so I expect this to work fine.

I should post a pic of the key mapping I'm looking forward to, I photoshopped one of the new pics with the layout I'm planning.

Offline sordna

« Reply #209 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 22:44:29 »
Architect, could you please post some simple pics of the keyboard you got? Maybe showing the underside of the keyboard, showing it in your hands, on an actual desk, etc?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #210 on: Fri, 15 April 2011, 22:55:01 »
Quote from: Architect;331940
Where ever you want it, supposed to be re-mappable. Most USB keyboard controllers these days are so I expect this to work fine.

I should post a pic of the key mapping I'm looking forward to, I photoshopped one of the new pics with the layout I'm planning.

That would be cool. I'm trying to figure out the dual-keying you mentioned.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #211 on: Sat, 16 April 2011, 01:46:42 »
Quote from: sordna;331944
Architect, could you please post some simple pics of the keyboard you got? Maybe showing the underside of the keyboard, showing it in your hands, on an actual desk, etc?

When he says he "got" one, I believe he was simply indicating which one he ordered.  He doesn't have one of these yet.  

I am also a frequent Mac user.  Architect, put your Kinesis 'boards up for sale in the Classifieds section.  Include some pics and your asking price.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #212 on: Sat, 16 April 2011, 14:08:06 »
Yah I don't have it, as I said I'm guessing late summer (giving them a long date so I'm (hopefully) not disappointed again by another delay)

Okay iMav, I'd like to keep them but it doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe just one.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #213 on: Sat, 16 April 2011, 14:17:15 »
Here's my keymapping of the TE for mac, for a software engineer.

Its the 109 blank, I love the dual arrow rosettas on both hands (writing code involves a huge amount of navigating around text).

On OS X I need/want dual symmetric Command/Opt/Control as here. I use all of them all the time.

This places all the oddballs in the upper left - somewhat similar to the Kinesis (which has += in the upper left), but at least all I have to remember is that is where the odd keys are kept.

In programming brackets are used extensively, so I'll put them on dedicated keys on the upper right.

I rarely/never use Delete, but I have no better use for that key so there it goes.

As for the function keys - no idea. Just call it F1-F16 and I'll use them to switch between OSX 'Spaces' probably (I also have an XKeys controller for that, oh well)

All other keys are the same as the TE mapping.

Offline xsar

« Reply #214 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 04:07:36 »
I ordered the labeled 109 key version, although I type with the dvorak layout. I have had two typematrix keyboards, one with blank keys and one with QWERTY layout.
With the experience with both versions, I don't care about labeling of regular alphabet keys, but do appreciate labeled numbers and special characters very much. Maybe I'll just scratch out the main letters and leave the rest, not sure yet.

I do not use the central keys on the typematrix very often, only the backspace every now and then. I find the low central keys to be a stretch for the index finger, remapping the return key to the right thumb turned out to be very practical for programming. I might have the right space bar mapped to a return on TE and leave the left one as a space.

hope they get production running soon...

Offline sordna

TrulyErgonomic - Kinesis score: 0 - 1
« Reply #215 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 00:16:00 »
In 2 months from my inquiry to Kinesis about a model with red cherry MX switches (soft/linear), I have the finished product at my door. And I only paid at the time of shipping!
Not only that, they made it into a special model (called Advantage LF) that anyone can order and probably get within a week now that they have the switches at hand.

And by the way, the keyboard is simply amazing. Huge improvement over the standard brown (tactile) switches for me. The travel is smooth like butter, and the keyboard makes an optional audible "click" when the key registers to give you feedback.

Good luck getting a TE with red cherries, probably they will have initial pics photoshopped by 2014.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 18503[/ATTACH]

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #216 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 13:46:10 »
LOL

I really would like to try those red switches now, and I don't have any particular complaints about the browns :)

Offline Lanx

« Reply #217 on: Tue, 24 May 2011, 19:09:55 »
I really like browns, i guess maybe ghetto reds and pure reds just don't compare?

Offline Titmouse

« Reply #218 on: Fri, 27 May 2011, 15:13:36 »
I like the looks of the TE keyboard.I really like how the keys in the same row are also arranged in a curve to fit the different lengths of the fingers. It's not too exotic, so the learning curve shouldn't be too steep. For touch typing, this layout may not be the optimal, but probably close enough for most people. For what I do for work, which is to use some software that dictates one hand on the mouse, the other hand operating various shortcut keys that are out of the normal ctrl-c/ctrl-v realm, any further departure from the conventional than the TE probably would be too much of a chore to use.
"Surprise! We threw away your old ugly keyboard and got you a brand new ergonomic keyboard from Microsoft!"  -- Findecanor