Author Topic: [Instock] HMX EVA Linear Switch/Is it the deepest HMX switch so far?  (Read 1139 times)

Offline DashanYYY

• Unikeys
306751-0

Discord:https://discord.gg/xprJb8Ta26

How are you doing everyone! This is DY from Unikeys. What we are looking at today is HMX's newest release-the EVA linear switch. Before we get into the details, I do want to say that HMX keeps bringing us more surprises as the day grows. I had concerns during the past year that HMX is going to be another manufacturer that keeps pushing out recolor switches until the heat dies out. They proved that my concern was unnecessary. I am very glad to see them making efforts to bring in new blend materials and improved molding to create more variations in their product line. The EVA switch is going to be different from the HMX switches you have seen already, and let's see why.

Price

Price: 0.35 USD per switch

Switch Specifications

Switch type: Linear
Designer: Marina
Manufacturer: HMX
Stem material: T2
Top Housings: PA12
Bottom Housing: P4
Operating Force: 42±5g
Bottom-out Force:  48±5g
Pre-travel: 2.0mm
Total Travel: 3.6±0.3mm
Spring: 22mm Single-Stage extended spring
Factory Lubed: Yes! on spring, stem feet, and stem sliders

306753-1
306755-2
306757-3
306759-4

The HMX EVA Linear Switch

HMX is known for its clacky and full-sounding switches, but it is very clear that they don't want that label to stick with them forever. Since the day Unikeys started working with HMX, they have been working on developing new molds and materials that would make switches sound deep and full at the same time. I can't say for 100% that they have achieved this goal with the EVA switches, but they definitely have reached the next milestone.

Design:
In late 2023, HMX made quite a few adjustments to their molds to improve and fix the so-called "syringe effect". If you haven't heard about the "syringe effect", it means that the switch has a tight tolerance which almost eliminates stem wobble but also makes the keystroke feel heavier than it was supposed to be. This is because the stem is tightly fit into the housing leaving less space for wobble and also increases travel friction at the same time. In order to solve this issue, HMX adjusted their housing molds to leave just a little bit more space for the stem; This ensures a looser fit while still retaining the fantastic stem stability. If you have HMX switches from both early 2023 and those that were produced after October 2023, you could make a quick comparison and notice that this issue has become very minimal.

Since the EVA switch is a new release in 2024, you won't need to worry about the syringe effect anymore. With the 22mm KOS spring which has a 48g bottom-out force, these switches come with a pleasant keystroke and a snappy, responsive return. What I have learned from my own preferences and others' experiences in the Unikeys community was that most heavy typers would also enjoy HMX's springs that bottom-out around 50-55g. This is because the springs provide firm support to your fingers during typing, and the fast recoil has nothing to do with a mushy typing feel.

Materials:
A PA12-T2-P4 switch from HMX is the first time! If you are familiar with past HMX products that use these three materials, you might notice the following things:

1. HMX's PA12 top housing emits a very subtle and poppy top-out sound. The good news is that it is not loud at all.
2. T2 stem was only available on Canglan V2 switches, and Canglan V2 switches were by far the deepest HMX switch there was before EVA came out.
3. P4 bottom housing also creates a pleasant medium-deep bottom-out sound.

With all three materials combined into one switch, you know what is going to happen; The EVA switch is the deepest HMX option so far.

Some will ask what is the difference between the EVA switches and Canglan V2 switches since they have the same stem material. The biggest difference between these two switches is that Canglan V2 is more muted and duller. It is not necessarily a bad thing as some of us do prefer a deep, quieter, and less poppy switch. On the other hand, EVA switches sound more lively and poppy than Canglan V2 switches. In the meantime, you should expect them to be a bit louder than Canglan V2.

How about Jammy switches which have the same housing material? Jammy switches are much louder and higher pitched than EVA switches because of the POM stem they have. Jammy switches are unique on their own with that full and poppy bottom-out sound, but I personally don't think they have anything to do with being deep. Maybe just a little bit deep when compared with some previous releases, but not as deep as EVA or Canglan switches.

In conclusion, EVA switches are lower-pitched, poppy, a bit quieter, very smooth, and pleasant to type on. As a vendor and a keeb enthusiast myself, I couldn't be happier to see HMX making improvements on a new release.

Form of Sales

Time of Sales
They are instock and available now

Vendor List
Global: Unikeys https://unikeyboards.com/

Reviews and Videos
Coming soon...