Author Topic: blue switch feels less clicky after using isopropyl alcohol  (Read 2534 times)

Offline poopeejohnson

blue switch feels less clicky after using isopropyl alcohol
« on: Fri, 19 August 2022, 09:45:11 »
I had a problem with my blue switch mechanical keyboard's space bar where it sometimes double spaces when I only click it once, after research I found that this is called key chatter and almost all the online solutions to this was using 99% isopropyl alcohol so I bought some and did just that. However, after letting it dry for a couple hours or so the spacebar switch feels less clicky and more mushy when clicked on so it lost its blue switch click. What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: blue switch feels less clicky after using isopropyl alcohol
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 August 2022, 10:06:05 »
I had a problem with my blue switch mechanical keyboard's space bar where it sometimes double spaces when I only click it once, after research I found that this is called key chatter and almost all the online solutions to this was using 99% isopropyl alcohol so I bought some and did just that. However, after letting it dry for a couple hours or so the spacebar switch feels less clicky and more mushy when clicked on so it lost its blue switch click. What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

If I had chatter on a switch, the first thing I would try would be to reheat the solder on the pins of the switch. Chatter is often caused by a bad soldering joint, either under soldered (so that the switch pin moves slightly) or a cold solder joint.  I don't know if you have a soldering iron though.

Usually when clicky switches lose the click it's because they have dirt or lubricating oils that have dampened or slowed down the click jacket so much that you can't hear it bounce (which is what causes the click).  Sounds like you still have gunk in your switch... or the alcohol hasn't dried.

Also, on the no-click front, let's rule out issues with the space bar stabilizers. Remove the space bar and put a smaller keycap on the switch and press it.  Does it click, or is it muted?

« Last Edit: Fri, 19 August 2022, 10:15:20 by pixelpusher »

Offline poopeejohnson

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 August 2022, 10:28:03 »
I had the keyboard for more than a year now so I don't think it's a bad solder joint

I put a small keycap on the switch and it's muted so the stabilisers aren't the problem

It could be the case that the alcohol hasn't dried since I used it about 2 days ago, how long does it take to dry?
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 August 2022, 10:31:04 by poopeejohnson »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 August 2022, 12:59:48 »
I had the keyboard for more than a year now so I don't think it's a bad solder joint

I put a small keycap on the switch and it's muted so the stabilisers aren't the problem

It could be the case that the alcohol hasn't dried since I used it about 2 days ago, how long does it take to dry?

Should dry out in a few hours, I would think.  I mean, if you put 99% IPA on a tabletop, it dries within a few seconds.  Did you turn it upside down and push the switch several times?
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 August 2022, 13:02:09 by pixelpusher »

Offline poopeejohnson

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 August 2022, 14:54:14 »
I pushed the switch several times but I haven't turned it upside, no

Offline poopeejohnson

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 20 August 2022, 15:02:45 »
I had a problem with my blue switch mechanical keyboard's space bar where it sometimes double spaces when I only click it once, after research I found that this is called key chatter and almost all the online solutions to this was using 99% isopropyl alcohol so I bought some and did just that. However, after letting it dry for a couple hours or so the spacebar switch feels less clicky and more mushy when clicked on so it lost its blue switch click. Also I still have key chatter and it's gotten worse. What did I do wrong and how do I restore the click and fix key chatter?

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 August 2022, 15:09:09 »
hmm did you just copy the original post and posted it again in the same thread. maybe look for any leftover alcohol or anything wrong woth the keys, if yes then clean these with water (but idk if this is a good idea someone please confirm) or alcohol or if there is an issue try fixing that. after that check if everything is fine, otherwise use alcohol again very lightly (if you haven't used it before) if it doesn't work then idk how to help you
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline poopeejohnson

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 August 2022, 15:12:40 »
ok I'll try that