Author Topic: Please give me a push in the right direction..  (Read 5226 times)

Offline WimWalther

Please give me a push in the right direction..
« on: Fri, 24 March 2023, 03:02:33 »
Really hard to know where to start with this stuff.. so please send me in the right direction. What I'd really like to have is my old IBM Model M2, but without the 10-key pad. One other requirement is that it needs to be lit - so the key markings are visible in the dark.

I have absolutely NO USE FOR BLING.. So no flashing RGB LED junk. i just want adjustable brightness, maybe choice of color(s).

I'm a retired electronic tech, so not at all worried about soldering a kit together. And quality is fairly important.. no featherweight, flimsy crap.

I see some KBs on AliEx that have sold fairly big numbers. Is there any stuff on Ali worth owning? What about eBay, or other such sites?

Anyway, I'd really appreciate some beginner help. Thanks in advance.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
Re: Please give me a push in the right direction..
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 March 2023, 07:43:47 »
Your best bet would be one of the new model F keyboards here, https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/. You're not gonna get backlighting with what you want, but you will get a layout fairly close to what you're looking for, a very high quality product, & buckling spring switches. Other than that you'd be full well in custom (as you custom make everything for it) territory, as nothing with buckling springs (capacitive or membrane actuated) is out there with what you want. The only other 2 options that come to mind are grabbing a OG Model M space saver (super expensive & will most likely need restored before use) or a Unicomp Mini M (not being sold brand new anymore & not nearly as high quality as the OG Model M space saver).

Offline WimWalther

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 March 2023, 09:54:13 »
For the record, I'm not stuck on having a buckling spring action.. but something of similar quality & feel of the old M2 that I still kick myself for screwing up and pitching it.

Really, there is no shortage of M2 on ebay - I could probably have a nice one for around $90. But again, I would really like to have back-lit keys, and I've no use for the tenkey pad.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 March 2023, 12:12:00 »
Not exactly buckling springs but maybe box whites would be in the Sam vein, that or the new Novelkeys Cream Clickies, but those have 0 tactility.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 March 2023, 22:01:52 »
I would take box whites over membrane buckling spring anyway myself, although they're insanely light. I don't think Unicomp's Mini M is discontinued. Last I heard they were looking for alternative controllers for them? They don't seem to have anything about it on their website at all right now though.

The M2's reputation for quality is ... very poor. If you did buy one on Ebay, you might have to recap it just to get it to work. Any random cheap Chinesium Amazon TKL should be of superior quality, especially if it is one of those exposed aluminum plate ones. There are boards worth owning all over the place these days, for shockingly low prices if the only criteria is literally reliability and durability.

The reason people are suggesting buckling spring boards is there's really nothing else made today that feels or sounds anything like it besides Ellipse's reproductions or Unicomp's uninterrupted continued production of Ms. Do you have no preference at all in switch? Not even a preference between linear, clicky or tactile?

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 March 2023, 11:36:29 »
If you're not married to buckling springs and just want backlighting I have to second the Chinese TKL boards. They're dime a dozen on amazon, cost less than 40 bucks (On the high end, most are 25 bucks), and will get the job done.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline WimWalther

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 April 2023, 12:35:40 »
If you're not married to buckling springs and just want backlighting I have to second the Chinese TKL boards. They're dime a dozen on amazon, cost less than 40 bucks (On the high end, most are 25 bucks), and will get the job done.

I see, cool. Could you - or someone else - suggest a couple of brands / models / examples? I'm not much of an Amazon shopper, more of an eBay guy.

Thanks!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 April 2023, 06:26:23 »
Your best bet would be one of the new model F keyboards here, https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/...

Sure, and they're great—if you want to spend, like, 400 bucks.  :-X

Other than that you'd be full well in custom (as you custom make everything for it) territory, as nothing with buckling springs (capacitive or membrane actuated) is out there with what you want...

Guys! Really. The OP misses his IBM M2—which, as you've pointed out, was actually a rather poorly made, cheaper successor of the legendary IBM Model M:

WimWalther, if you thought your M2 was good, the only reasonable thing to do is to get a "real" IBM Model M from the classic period of the 1980s to early '90s, and have an even better buckling-spring experience!

Unlike the notoriously short-lived M2, Model M's from the 1980s to early '90s were so well made, most of them still work just fine—even after spending 20 years in an office.

Not all Model M's are PC-compatible, though. Many "terminal"-style M's were made specifically for mainframe computers, and don't work with desktop or laptop PCs without a lot of fussing.

To be sure you get a PC-compatible one, look for part number 1391401, the "standard" M that IBM made far more of than any other. Most eBay ads mention the part number in the title; it should also be visible on the large label on the keyboard's back, which most ads show:

Be sure it includes a cable, too. You'll want an original M with a detachable cable, not one of the later incarnations whose cables were thinner and non-detachable.

"New-old" (unused) Model M's from the 1980-'90s still turn up on eBay, for hundreds of bucks. But many used M's are always available; you shouldn't need to pay more than $100 for one. And cleaning them isn't hard—you may even find it fun! Check some of these helpful YouTube videos to get an ideas what's involved.

If possible, buy an M from someone who mentions that they've tested it. Odds are it'll be just fine, but testing never hurts. You'll also need:

• A key puller tool, which you can get on eBay for around $2. I prefer this wire type, but there are several other types too. Don't use a screwdriver or anything else to pry off the keys; you'll damage 'em. And after washing the keys, be sure to let them dry thoroughly, overnight, before putting them back on. (If you shake one and water comes out, it's not dry!)

• Cleaning stuff (alcohol, Q-Tips, and whatever you use to clean the keys—see videos for the various ways you can do it *)

• To connect the Model M to your computer, one of these little "active" PS/2-to-USB adapters:

...which you can get on Amazon or eBay for under $10. (Like the one shown here, most of them are made to adapt both a PS/2 keyboard and mouse; the mouse connector is optional.) Be sure it's an electronic "active" adapter, with a cable between the plugs—not one of these "passive" adapters, which just change the plug's shape:

And if you want to get your M really clean:

• A 5.5 mm flat-wall hex wrench:

...so you can remove the top of the case and clean the places it covers. They're only around $10 at electronic stores and online.

I hope you take the plunge, as there's nothing like typing on a nice 1980s-'90s Model M! I think you'll find it twice as fun and satisfying as your M2, but with that familiar, crisp buckling-spring response and sound. If you do, be sure to let us know how it goes, and if you have any questions. Cheers!

– – –

* My favourite key-cleaning method:
  • Put keys in a large margarine container.
  • Add warm water and a bit of liquid laundry soap.
  • Let keys soak for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
  • Rinse.
You can also put them in a mesh bag and put them through the dishwasher!
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 April 2023, 06:36:55 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg