Author Topic: Does anyone else ever get that "get outta my hobby" feeling over MK's?  (Read 7738 times)

Offline Etherealsound

Re: Does anyone else ever get that "get outta my hobby" feeling over MK's?
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 20:03:03 »
I got into mechs almost 3 years ago but I was too poor to afford anything then. I pretty much just spent time looking and researching boards, switches, mods, etc. 2017 was definitely crazy. So much happened compared to even 3 years ago that it's honestly overwhelming, trying to keep up with all the new group buys and artisans coming out. Fortunately, I don't care much for artisans anymore haha.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 22:22:03 »
^ no kidding. 2017 was like the year of acquisition for me. I have more crap than I know what to build with it.
-Dana

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 22:49:00 »
2017 was a ramp-up year for me, i finally own a decent kustom after 5 and a half years in the hobby

there are definitely some people who i don't really like in the hobby, but i think that i'll get that anywhere else

anyone who knows me knows i have a list of people i won't talk to, and now that i actually hold to it properly i've been having a much better time

i think as the community continues to grow, it will self-regulate a bit more, and we'll start to "regress" back to 2012/2013 era, but with more compat in our GBs
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 15:48:56 »
No - from my observations the hobby has only improved over the years.  More and more people are involved and interested and there are more and more vendors selling unique and compelling products.  The first computer I ever used had a Model M keyboard and I have been using MKs ever since (except for a brief period in high school that I don't talk about anymore) but doesn't make me any better or more deserving than someone who decided to buy a keyboard yesterday after reading a reddit thread.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 16:38:14 »
Not necessarily a "got out of my hobby" feeling.  I do feel it has become a less personal community since the things that we really had to work for are available with a single click in a number of options we could only dream about.   Rather than a place I could just come and hang out a chat with people about trying to figure out something or see what drama demik was causing, it now feels like a giant store with everyone selling something.  It is really nice to be able to order stabilizers though, those things were a ***** to track down. 

PS:  JD, you gonna restart the monthly GH caps?  I was considering it, but people just don't seem to like SP DCS much anymore which is a shame.  It would be fun to do another run of the 1.25x bottom row geek hack pair of caps. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2