Author Topic: [GB] Captured Lightning Wrist Rests by Angry Nimbus (Closed)  (Read 62943 times)

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
[GB] Captured Lightning Wrist Rests by Angry Nimbus (Closed)
« on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 09:38:01 »

Hi everyone! It is finally time to launch the Group Buy for the Captured Lightning Wrist Rests!
The group buy will be open for two weeks through the Angry Nimbus website ending on March 11th.

The work will begin once the group buy is over with a delivery date no later than April 11th.

The group buy will not have a cap but if we exceed more than 30 orders, there will be a second batch delivered upon completion at a later date.

There are 3 wood options available.

Pine is the base wood and it will be available with a Natural or the Black ebonized finish shown below for $50.

Maple will also be available in a Natural or Black finish for $60.

Walnut will only be available in a Natural finish for $60.

Dark Wood

Light Wood

For the group buy we are offering the following preset lengths with custom sizes becoming available for order after the group buy has been completed.

Length:
60% - 11.75" x 3.5" x 3/4"
65% - 12.5" x 3.5" x 3/4"
TKL - 14" x 3.5" x 3/4"
1800 - 15 ⅜” x 3.5” x 3/4" 
Full Size - 17 ½” x 3.5” x 3/4"

There is also a choice of 10 different resin colors for the lightning! So hopefully there's something for everyone.

Here's a quick video of the fractal burning:

UPDATE 2/27/19
First off Rob (Angry Nimbus) and I want to thank everyone for the overwhelming support. We are on the verge of surpassing 60 orders! This means that we are approaching Batch 3 territory. As originally stated the first 30 orders (Batch 1) are to be fulfilled by April 11th with Batch 2 (orders 31-60) and any subsequent batches receiving a later delivery date that will be determined once progress is made on batch one and we can get a better estimate. To help alleviate some of the wait Rob will begin working on the GB orders ahead of schedule rather than waiting for the group buy to close. Thanks again for your interest and future patience ;)

UPDATE 3/8/19
Hey guys, just wanted to give you all a quick update. I spoke with Rob yesterday and he informed me that preparations are going well and that production is underway for the first batch. I believe he will be dropping an update with some additional info in the next few days before the GB closes so stay tuned!

UPDATE 3/11/19
Thanks again to everyone who joined. The group buy is officially closed!

PRODUCTION UPDATE 3/18/19
First batch getting zapped.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99599.msg2737843#msg2737843

PRODUCTION UPDATE 3/27/19
Sanding and planing
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99599.msg2740681#msg2740681

PRODUCTION UPDATE 4/01/19
Adding the resin
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99599.msg2743816#msg2743816

PRODUCTION UPDATE 4/10/19
Sneak peek at the back of the boards and notes from Rob @ Angry Nimbus
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99599.msg2747731#msg2747731

GB UPDATE 4/12/19
We are currently running a few days behind schedule. Rob is completing the final steps of production and will start shipping out batch 01 rests in the next couple days. I'm sure he'll be posting another update soon. I've seen a video of the recently completed rests and they are drool worthy :p

GB VIDEO UPDATE 4/16/19
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99599.msg2749994#msg2749994

GB UPDATE 4/24/19
Batch one has shipped! Production on batch 2 is underway.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99599.msg2752753#msg2752753

BATCH 2 UPDATE 5/01/19
Batch 2 production
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99599.msg2757047#msg2757047

BATCH 2 UPDATE 5/12/19
Batch 2 production update
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99599.msg2762272#msg2762272

BATCH 2 UPDATE 5/22/19
Batch 2 production update - Weather delays
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99599.msg2767167#msg2767167

FINAL UPDATE 9/17/19
Batch 2 production update - EVERYTHING SHIPPED!
It took a little bit longer than expected to get the 2nd and 3rd batches to ship but everyone still waiting for an order should be receiving their wrist rests soon. Thanks again for participating and making this a huge success!
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99599.msg2811694#msg2811694

Group Buy link to the Angry Nimbus Woodcraft site: CLOSED

Check out angrynimbuswoodcraft.com in the near future for custom orders!
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 September 2019, 22:30:50 by jb1830 »

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline dunkzilla

Re: [GB] Captured Lightning Wrist Rests by Angry Nimbus
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 10:26:02 »
These are awesome. Shame the shipping is so much.

Offline Angry Nimbus Woodcraft

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 10:28:50 »
Hi Everybody, this is Rob from Angry Nimbus.  I am located in Eastern Pennsylvania (USA) in a little woodshop on an old farm.  All of my products are handmade by me, and  I'm so excited to get started on building these wrist rests for you.  I truly love making this stuff!  I will be following this thread, so if you have any other questions, please post them as a reply and I will do my best to check this thread periodically to answer them.  Below is a link to the interest thread where many questions have already been answered.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99237.0

INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING

It has been brought to my attention that the shipping on international orders is extremely high.  The shipping prices are automatically generated by the e-commerce site, so I don't have direct control over them.  However, it looks like some shipping options that I have selected are not appearing during checkout (such as First Class International).  I am working to remedy this situation as quickly as possible, so please bear with me while I figure this out.  I will update the thread once I have found a solution.  If you are having this issue, please message me directly with your location.  I will do my best to find the most affordable option for you.  Thank you for your patience!

Offline PandaSuit

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 11:09:07 »
Hey, very excited about the wrist rests, is it possible to add metric measurements to the description if possible? Thank you.

Offline mnpq.raven

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 11:34:51 »
I'm very interested in getting one but unfortunately i can only do that once the shipping cost is lowered. A 60$ rest to Germany costs 61$ shipping, hope you can get the prices sorted out.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 11:39:48 »
Is there any kind of finish/sealer put on? Polyeurthane?

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 12:23:05 »
What color resin is shown on the ebony rest posted in OP? Also is there any reason the Walnut can't get the dark finish?

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 12:24:01 »
Update on Shipping:  I am currently working with Shopify to figure out why the cheaper options are not being displayed.  There should be an option for "USPS First Class Package International" which is a much better rate.  I have this.  I did a test on the USPS site and it was estimated at $24 to Stockholm, which seems more reasonable.  I will get this figured out and report back to you.  If nothing else, I will offer a flat rate at checkout and get them shipped.  I apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience while I sort it out.

Hey, very excited about the wrist rests, is it possible to add metric measurements to the description if possible? Thank you.

I can work this up once I fix this shipping bug, please hold tight!

Is there any kind of finish/sealer put on? Polyeurthane?

All of these will be finished with a gloss UV protective Polyurethane to protect them.  :thumb:

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 12:29:43 »
Could you share a picture of what the maple and pine look like with the dark stain?

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 12:43:33 »
What color resin is shown on the ebony rest posted in OP? Also is there any reason the Walnut can't get the dark finish?

The resin colors shown in the prototype are a teal and purple swirl.  Those are flat colors that were selected for his particular needs, but there are similar color options like deep velvet, emerald isle, and a bunch of blues.  Currently, I am not offering color swirls on this group buy.

I am only offering Walnut in a natural finish, as it is already quite dark.  If you want a hardwood rest with black, Maple is available with black stain.

Thanks!

Offline le_wraith

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 12:43:59 »
I'm very interested b/c I'm in need of a new wrist rest for my HHKB...

Any sample pics of the lightning colors? What's the difference between green apple and emerald isles? What color is "deep velvet" (which I usually think of as a fabric rather than a color)?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 12:52:47 »

Any sample pics of the lightning colors? What's the difference between green apple and emerald isles? What color is "deep velvet" (which I usually think of as a fabric rather than a color)?

There's some sample pics in the website, emerald isles is an emerald green as per the name and green apple seems to just be a more "neon" style bright green, aka apple green. Deep Velvet was purple iirc but yea they're at the bottom of the page(s) where you order!

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 12:54:16 »

The resin colors shown in the prototype are a teal and purple swirl.  Those are flat colors that were selected for his particular needs, but there are similar color options like deep velvet, emerald isle, and a bunch of blues.  Currently, I am not offering color swirls on this group buy.

I am only offering Walnut in a natural finish, as it is already quite dark.  If you want a hardwood rest with black, Maple is available with black stain.

Thanks!

Shucks that's a bummer, it looks so good! I get simplifying everything though for GB purposes. Thanks!

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 13:30:43 »
INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING UPDATE

I am happy to announce that this bug should be fixed now.  There was a default weight set in the parameters of the website which has now been updated.  It may take a little time for the updates to hit my site, but cheaper options should now be available for all products.  If you are still seeing exorbitant rates, please message me directly or post here. These are all shipped from zip code 18938, and the packages weigh in around 2.5lbs.  The cheapest option should be 'USPS First Class Package International".  If you do not see this option, or the shipping still looks too high, you can check what your shipping should be using the calculator below.  Input your country at the top, 18938 as the zip code of origin and select "calculate price based on shape and size".  If there is a discrepancy, I will figure it out, but the shipping quotes should be accurate now.

https://postcalc.usps.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5NPjBRDDARIsAM9X1GJYG4OlMZiL8REry13G-qlRZJ6UHacOIjRpIICAcMllzUWV1w99aKUaAociEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks!

Shucks that's a bummer, it looks so good! I get simplifying everything though for GB purposes. Thanks!

Thanks for understanding.  Currently there are 250 different combinations available, but I understand wanting something custom. I do take custom orders, but the labor rate is higher.  Feel free to send me an email with your request and I can work up a quote for you.

There's some sample pics in the website, emerald isles is an emerald green as per the name and green apple seems to just be a more "neon" style bright green, aka apple green. Deep Velvet was purple iirc but yea they're at the bottom of the page(s) where you order!

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 13:42:59 »
Walnut with Deep Velvet TKL! Yes!

Offline Grumms

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 15:01:49 »
Psyched on this! Just ordered one :)

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 15:19:46 »
WOW I am so blown away by the response from you all! 

Just popped in to announce that there are currently already 24 wrist rest orders in my que, so we are approaching the 30 unit mark for the first batch.  I did not expect such a fast response, but rest assured I am ready to get working on these ASAP.  As stated previously, I am not putting a limit on the total number of orders.  The first batch of 30 will be completed by April 11th.  The next batch will be delivered at a later date, which I will be better able to determine once I see the full work load.  Once again thank you so much for your orders!  I'll be heading to the lumber yard tomorrow to select some stock and get started milling.

Offline laughatpain

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 15:42:07 »
Submitted my order!

Just a quick question, will rubber bumpons be included to minimize the slippage of wrist wrests? I have some on my current wrist wrest and they definitely help with slippage on my desk. They can be bought in sheets on amazon, I just don't think I will personally go through 100-300 bumpons myself and they'd just go to waste vs if you distributed them as the gb runner.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 16:06:50 »
Definitely need something on the bottom to help keep them from sliding around a desk. I think most wrist rests use a rubbery surface that covers about 40% of the bottom.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 16:07:19 »
Ebonized Pine with Green Apple TKL

Thanks for getting the international shipping sorted out quickly. 
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 16:33:31 »
Quick update, we have surpassed 30 orders. These first 30 rests will all be included with the first batch (delivery by April 11th).  I will update all the buyers with delivery dates for subsequent batches once the group buy has ended. Thank you so much for your orders!

Submitted my order!

Just a quick question, will rubber bumpons be included to minimize the slippage of wrist wrests? I have some on my current wrist wrest and they definitely help with slippage on my desk. They can be bought in sheets on amazon, I just don't think I will personally go through 100-300 bumpons myself and they'd just go to waste vs if you distributed them as the gb runner.

Rubber bumpons were not part of the original design, but they should adhere to the polyurethane coating quite easily.  The wrist rests are designed to be approximately 1/4" thick, so any bumpons would add to the height.  I don't think jb1830 has had any issues with slippage, but I can see how that would be a useful feature.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 17:02:33 »

Yea I didn't really think much about bumpons since I have a deskmat and i haven't had any slippage issues. Might be something worth looking into before delivery.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 17:05:47 »
Has this started yet? or is it going to be starting shortly? What sorta buy time frame or we looking at

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 17:15:38 »
Has this started yet? or is it going to be starting shortly? What sorta buy time frame or we looking at

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99599.0

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 22:48:42 »
Could you share a picture of what the maple and pine look like with the dark stain?

I did some searches on what black stained maple might look like and came up with this... is it similar?

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 23:20:27 »

I did some searches on what black stained maple might look like and came up with this... is it similar?
Show Image

I am aiming for something a bit more black.  I have ordered a few new tints to try out and find what works the best, but this is the goal (please note this does not appear to have finish on it, which will make it darker/richer):

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 23:24:44 »
Sounds good!  Ordered!

Offline gurdenc

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 23:35:06 »
picked one up! I live all the way in taiwan so -- looking forward to it! ...whenever it may come, heh.

Thanks, maker!

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 00:12:29 »
picked one up! I live all the way in taiwan so -- looking forward to it! ...whenever it may come, heh.

Thanks, maker!

That's so cool!  Really excited to be shipping around the world. Thank you for your order.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 02:26:25 »
I really want to order one of these but gotta wait until after 1st of this month, guess I be in the second set of orders when I do. I know you said you exceeded 30 orders already on reddit when found the post there. I am wondering since you got your first 30 orders are you planning on going ahead and starting instead of waiting till the group buy is over? Also Darker wood you first posted what is that? I wanted to make sure as I like the darker tone on it. I think it might match my desk nicely. 

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 07:52:55 »
I really want to order one of these but gotta wait until after 1st of this month, guess I be in the second set of orders when I do. I know you said you exceeded 30 orders already on reddit when found the post there. I am wondering since you got your first 30 orders are you planning on going ahead and starting instead of waiting till the group buy is over? Also Darker wood you first posted what is that? I wanted to make sure as I like the darker tone on it. I think it might match my desk nicely.

You have plenty of time.  We are leaving the group buy open until March 11th to allow everyone to take advantage of the discounted price.  As of this morning, I am now close to 60 orders, so we are almost into the third batch.  I will have a better idea of delivery date on the 2nd and 3rd batch once I get the first one underway.  Originally, I hadn't expected so many orders so I was going to wait until the close of the group buy to begin selecting and milling lumber.  However, now that the first batch is in and I see the trend in orders, there is no reason to wait.  I'll be making a trip to the lumber yard shortly to sort through the stacks and find some pretty wood.  In the meantime have suspended taking any more commissioned work until the group buy orders are completed to give them priority.

The dark keyboard rest in the OP is black-stained pine.  I don't have any examples to show, but I am also offering black-stained Maple.  The Maple is much more durable than pine and tends to stain more evenly.  Both will be very dark, almost black in color when they are finished.  I am also offering Walnut, which is a naturally dark brown wood that looks amazing when paired with black (or anything IMO).  Let me know if you have any more questions!

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 08:56:02 »
Thanks again everyone. Just put this quick update on the OP.

UPDATE 2/27/19
First off Rob (Angry Nimbus) and I want to thank everyone for the overwhelming support. We are on the verge of surpassing 60 orders! This means that we are approaching Batch 3 territory. As originally stated the first 30 orders (Batch 1) are to be fulfilled by April 11th with Batch 2 (orders 31-60) and any subsequent batches receiving a later delivery date that will be determined once progress is made on batch one and we can get a better estimate. To help alleviate some of the wait Rob will begin working on the GB orders ahead of schedule rather than waiting for the group buy to close. Thanks again for your interest and future patience ;)

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 11:08:04 »
I was going to wait because I was indecisive on how dark Black was going to be, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Excited to see how these turn out. Thanks a lot for doing this!

Offline Grumms

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 15:23:03 »
Appreciate the constant updates on the process!  :thumb:

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 17:11:15 »
UPDATE: I just hit 60 orders earlier today.  All subsequent orders will be part of batch #3.  At this point I can't provide accurate ship dates for later batches, but I will update this thread as progress is made.  Once I get the first batch underway, I will be able to provide a better timeline.  Once again, thank you all for participating, it means the world to me that there is so much interest in my work.

I was going to wait because I was indecisive on how dark Black was going to be, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Excited to see how these turn out. Thanks a lot for doing this!

I just picked up what I believe should be enough Maple and Walnut for the first 2 batches.  Once I have some scrap I will do some test pieces and update the thread with pictures.  All the wood I got is from the same tree, so it should all stain similarly.

Appreciate the constant updates on the process!  :thumb:

I will do my best to keep updating the thread as I move through the project.  You can also catch my feed through FB (Angry Nimbus Woodcraft) and IG (@angrynimbuswoodcraft).  Speaking of updates, I took a trip to my favorite lumberyard/mill today and spent some time sorting through the stacks to find Walnut and Maple stock.  I found some gorgeous 4/4 Black Walnut and some really clear, white Hard Maple.  I thought you all might like to see where your wood is coming from, as most of us are used to seeing clean cut, dimensional lumber at the big box store.  This place is a bit different.  They have a tree service that sources timbers, a big mill onsite and a wood kiln, which is used to dry the wood so it can be worked quickly and reduce warping.  Here is a walkthrough of what they call "the barn".  I call it "slab city":

https://photos.google.com/u/1/album/AF1QipNSFTC6YIYIdqcq4aXdkOBfLReL-47dGVVDDPDZ/photo/AF1QipNYMn0lqQW_NHcewBgpEMxC79d33vnZbq5F2V-R

Heres a shot of that big redwood burl that I walked past.  Its almost as large as the pricetag:

I know a lot of you were asking about Ebony and this place does have it in stock.  I wanted to give you an idea of the price this stuff goes for.  The rough sawn piece of Gaboon Ebony you see in my hand here is valued at $320.  Yes you read that right...just the one piece.  You will often see Ebony used for ornamental pieces or on musical instruments.  Behind it you can see some Madagascar Ebony and other exotics:

The rest of these shots are some of the boards I brought home.  Once I get them laid out in the shop and go through them, Ill try to get some better pics.  Its hard to capture how they look in person, but it was totally worth pullling out every other plank in the section to find these.  They are gonna look awesome!  These are all Maple Walnut:

Lastly here is a flyover of one of those maple boards:

https://photos.google.com/u/1/album/AF1QipNSFTC6YIYIdqcq4aXdkOBfLReL-47dGVVDDPDZ/photo/AF1QipNAUglwRMO_iQoi4mgpvM_s3rcUh3W9jS5vvrVJ

Most of you are likely familiar with dimensional lumber, which is what you find at the home goods/construction store.  What you see below are boards directly out of the kiln.  These are all rough sawn to 4/4 (or 1" thick) and then dried.  During the drying process the wood moves and shrinks.  Now that they are dry and stable, they go into my shop for a few days to climatize, and then I will start milling them down to the right thickness and cutting them to width for burning.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 February 2019, 17:15:54 by Angry Nimbus Woodcraft »

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 08:36:39 »
Hey everybody.  I wanted to provide an easy way to know your Batch number, but I can't do bulk emails from my e-commerce platform.  I figured the easiest thing to do was to identify the batches by order number.  Below you will see a list of the batches and the order number range that comprises them.  I will update delivery dates for later batches once I have an accurate timeline.  I am at over 60 orders now, so if you haven't purchased yet, your order will be in batch #3.  I had a few customers who had to cancel and reorder, so if we have spoken through email about changing an order or upgrading to a different wood species, please go by your original order number.  Let me know if you have any questions, and once again thank you for all your orders.  I'm off to go freeze my fingers off in the shop and make some chips!

BATCH #1  Order # 1002-1025 (Delivery Date 4/11/19)
BATCH #2  Order # 1026-1052, Order # 1054  (Delivery Date TBD)
BATCH #3  Order # 1053 - ?  (Delivery Date TBD)

« Last Edit: Fri, 01 March 2019, 22:12:54 by Angry Nimbus Woodcraft »

Offline taptaptap

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 03:51:01 »
Would you be able to post pictures of all 3 of the different types of wood along with their stained counterparts from the early GB ones you've started working on before the end of the GB? I want to get one,but I'm having a little trouble narrowing down the options and I think seeing some of your works in progress would be extremely useful.

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 06:47:48 »
Would you be able to post pictures of all 3 of the different types of wood along with their stained counterparts from the early GB ones you've started working on before the end of the GB? I want to get one,but I'm having a little trouble narrowing down the options and I think seeing some of your works in progress would be extremely useful.

I don't think I will have completed versions of all three by the end of the group buy, but I was planning to so some color samples of the black stained pine and maple so people can get an idea what to expect.  I've had a lot of requests to see what the Ebonized maple will look like and it is the most popular choice by far, so once the lumber is milled (which will happen tomorrow) I can start to break it down and I should have some scraps to play with.  I ordered some new, high-quality dye for this project which should arrive later this week.  At that point I will try to produce some quick samples and post the results.  I understand it can be difficult to choose when you don't have something to look at, so I'm doing my best to keep everyone updated and get some samples made.  If you want to message me with a pic of your keyboard, I might be able to offer some suggestions.  Hope that helps!

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 07:08:40 »

I don't think I will have completed versions of all three by the end of the group buy, but I was planning to so some color samples of the black stained pine and maple so people can get an idea what to expect.  I've had a lot of requests to see what the Ebonized maple will look like and it is the most popular choice by far, so once the lumber is milled (which will happen tomorrow) I can start to break it down and I should have some scraps to play with.  I ordered some new, high-quality dye for this project which should arrive later this week.  At that point I will try to produce some quick samples and post the results.  I understand it can be difficult to choose when you don't have something to look at, so I'm doing my best to keep everyone updated and get some samples made.  If you want to message me with a pic of your keyboard, I might be able to offer some suggestions.  Hope that helps!

Sounds great.  Thanks so much for the frequent updates!

Offline xantiema

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 16:02:03 »
I still seem to only have 62USD at the only shipping option, want me to PM you with my email?

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 17:53:44 »
I still seem to only have 62USD at the only shipping option, want me to PM you with my email?

You are not alone! Also you bring up a great question.

The best way for me to check on a shipping quote is to message me through the website.  That way I can link your name to the abandoned cart, check the shipping and message you directly.  I know a lot of people are seeing a high shipping cost, and I am actively trying to find a more affordable option.  Shopify automatically calculates shipping based on the shipping method, you chose, package weight and the destination, but that doesn't mean it's accurate.  I don't have enough experience with the platform to be certain. 

Once I have the lumber milled down and cut into blanks, I will mock up a shipping package and bring it to the post office to see if there's a better option.  I appreciate everyone's patience while I try to sort this out.  International shipping is new for me, but I'm working on it!  Additionally, if you made (or make) an order with me and you are charged in excess of the actual shipping when I send your order, I will refund the difference.  I'm not trying to make any money on the shipping.  My goal is to get all of this figured out early next week, with actual wooden blanks and packaging at the post office so I can update everyone and provide dead-on accurate shipping quotes.  I feel like there is some back end error when Shopify calculates the shipping based on everyone's feedback, but I will get to the bottom of it. 

Here's what I've found so far.  The cheapest option that I have found for international is USPS First Class Package International.  There are some weight and package dimension parameters and these rests weigh in around 2lbs, with some being heavier than others due to length and wood species.  I have a feeling that shopify is calculating something incorrectly for those of you who were looking at purchasing 2 wrist rests ($60+ quotes).  The average shipping on international orders of one wrist rest thus far as been $30-35.  Below is a link to the shipping calculator on the USPS site if you want to check it out on your own.  You will need to select your country, input my zip code (18938) and click "Calculate price based on shape and size".  I weighed a 17" long Maple board of the approximate size that my largest blanks will be and it came in around 1.5lbs.  Add padding to protect the wrist rest and the box, and I think it will be around 2 lbs (1Kg).  There is a significant price jump at 2 lbs, which may account for the higher rates people are seeing.  Again, I should have the details nailed down by later this week and I will update you.  I hope this helps!

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

Offline connor4312

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 21:59:22 »

Do I get to say "first" then? :D Super excited for this buy!

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 22:15:32 »

Show Image

Yeah to do!  Revel in that glory man. Super excited to be making them for you all.  Stay tuned for more updates!

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 11:07:34 »

Show Image

Very nice! Thanks again for the support!

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 12:18:55 »
Update!

UPDATE 3/8/19
Hey guys, just wanted to give you all a quick update. I spoke with Rob yesterday and he informed me that preparations are going well and that production is underway for the first batch. I believe he will be dropping an update with some additional info in the next few days before the GB closes so stay tuned!

Offline pcire

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 15:08:08 »
Awesome! I've been on the fence... mostly because I don't know what color I want.  Some pics before ending the GB would be great!

• Angry Nimbus Woodcraft
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 16:35:21 »
Hey everybody!  I wanted to update you on this weeks progress.  Its been well below freezing here in my shop this week, but I've been jamming every day to get work done on these wrist rests.  I also purchased all the shipping boxes to keep them safe on their travel, and talked with the post office about the most economical means of shipping.

International shipping update:

Many of you mentioned the high cost of shipping.  Initially there was an issue with how the weight was calculated through the website.  I fixed that last week, but some people were still reporting high costs, especially those of you who were interested in buying 2 or more wrist rests.  Unfortunately, those costs are accurate.  These wrist rests weigh in around 2.5 lbs each with the packaging, and the weight limit for USPS first class package international is 4 lbs.  So if you ordered two, they must be shipped separately, or you have to choose a different shipping method which isn't any cheaper.  I have included a chart below that shows the parameters.  The average shipping charge for the international orders I have is between $30-$35, and this didn't seem to change much between Canada and Australia.  It just gets expensive once it has to cross a border.  Speaking of which, Customs charges are not included in the shipping you pay at checkout.  They are different for every country, and must be paid by you when your order arrives.  I was really hoping to find a cheaper alternative, but I have exhausted all the possibilities at this point.  Once again, if the actual shipping charges are lower than what you paid at checkout, I will refund the difference when they go out, but I wouldn't expect them to change very much.  If you tried to place an international order before and were deterred by high shipping, please check once more to make sure you are getting the most up to date pricing.

Progress in the shop:

The first step in milling down the raw lumber is to let it climatize to my shop.  Its extremely cold and dry right now, but the wood was inside a climate controlled building when I bought it.  Giving the wood some time to adjust to this climate reduces the chance of warping and changing shape when I cut it down to size.  Then I brought it over to my buddies shop to borrow his planer (thicknesser for those of you across the pond).  I don't have one in my shop and its imperative for bringing down the thickeness of the rough stock, which is about 1".  Once that was complete, I allowed it to sit for another day, which allows any internal stresses in the wood to release.  Sometimes wood will warp or bend after being planed, so this allows me to make sure I will have straight flat boards when I cut them down and help prevent dangerous binding while cutting.  After that I made a whole bunch of sawdust cutting the boards down into wrist rest "blanks" that I will burn.  As of this afternoon, I have about 60 blanks cut, which is enough to cover the first two batches.  Once the GB ends, I will cut the remaining blanks and have them at the ready to speed up the process down the road and get completely organized for the burning and resin fills.  Below you will find some links to videos of the milling process and the big pile of wrist rest blanks that are now occupying my hardware bench.  I have also added more photos to the Geekhack album, which is also linked below.

Album:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3B8MwQCeAtttD1VP6

Milling some raw maple boards to thickness:  (VERY LOUD, TURN DOWN YOUR VOLUME!!)
https://youtu.be/okGrM-nxIok

Stacking blanks:
https://youtu.be/9CcWgpO1nKk

Color Samples:

I threw together a few color samples today.  However, the sun is going down and the finish is still drying.  Please bear with me until tomorrow so I can polish them up and grab some video in real sunlight.  My shop lights are quite blue, and they make it difficult to see detail and figure.  I can tell you that the new black dye that I picked up for this project is awesome.  It produces a more even tone than the prototype, and gives me a little more control with how dark the pieces get, from translucent black all the way up to completely blackened.  It also highlights the figure in the Maple, creating a cat-eye effect that you just don't get with regular stain.  The pine doesn't really have any figure, so it just gets very black.  It still looks good, but has far less visual interest IMO.  I appreciate your patience while I get these together.  I had to wait for the dye to arrive, and I wanted to use wood from the actual boards I picked up so you get an accurate idea of what these will look like when they are finished.  Finishing them is my first task tomorrow, so you wont have to wait much longer.

Currently I have 77 orders in, which means we are nearing the cutoff for the third batch (90).  I do not have a cap on orders for this group buy, but any orders past 90 will arrive later, in the 4th batch.  This week I will begin burning the first batch of orders, which is the longest leg of the process.  I will provide more updates as the weeks go on, as well as delivery dates for the later batches.  Once again thank you all for your support and your orders! I'm going to be out in the shop 7 days a week to get these done as quickly as possible.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 March 2019, 22:16:45 by Angry Nimbus Woodcraft »

Offline Grumms

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 21:40:46 »
Can't even express how much I appreciate these updated posts. Love the communication and the hard work!

Thank you  :thumb:

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 22:59:09 »
Can't even express how much I appreciate these updated posts. Love the communication and the hard work!

True. This kind of involvement is not something we often see by even older members of the community and it is most definitely welcome - I'm still waiting to decide on what to order but I also want to mention I'm thankful for the ironing out of all the details when it comes to international shipping, as well as your desire to keep lead times as short as possible despite the massive influx of orders compared to what was initially planned for.

Well done!

Offline wcmbk

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 01:04:00 »
Thanks for the GB! Just before I hit go, what's the colour of the tint on the ebonized rest in your first post? I'm considering going purple, but I'm not sure if that would be too dark with the ebonized wood.