Author Topic: [FINISHED] Faux Cherry Red ESC + RGBY modifier kit  (Read 176114 times)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
[FINISHED] Faux Cherry Red ESC + RGBY modifier kit
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 15:18:46 »
Quote from: ripster;471562
In the GLWIC thread.

Here:

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?24707-Why-Is-The-Ripster-So-Darn-Pissed-At-Signature-Plastic-Key-Group-Buys&p=465917&viewfull=1#post465917

Ah, so I can choose among preset mounts?  I wonder why she didn't mention that.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #301 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 15:21:45 »
Make it HU or preferably 6U mount. The whole reason of this faux cherry GB is to match the original short cherry caps. Why should everybody with cherry DS have to grind off part of the stem for them to match? I'm making logical sense aren't I?
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #302 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 15:26:55 »
Quote from: The_Ed;471581
Make it HU or preferably 6U mount. The whole reason of this faux cherry GB is to match the original short cherry caps. Why should everybody with cherry DS have to grind off part of the stem for them to match? I'm making logical sense aren't I?

Yeah man, it makes perfect sense on paper.  But every SP key that I own has the regular mount, so I'm nervous about making untested changes.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #303 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 15:28:18 »
Order another prototype for science!

Edit:

1 with HU, 1 with 6U!
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline cycloverid

« Reply #304 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 15:50:32 »
Would a prototype without a legend be a lot more cost effective?

Otherwise we can throw in an updated SVG for a test.

I'm thinking if it isn't very cheap though then it might start coming out of hashbaz's pocket.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 December 2011, 15:53:09 by cycloverid »

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #305 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 16:06:13 »
Probably just 2 blank esc keys, and whichever one fits the most level with cherry DS F-row keys is the winner. It would then also be a match for the RGB because all rows seem to be equal in height over cherry DS.
R.I.P.ster

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #306 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 19:26:54 »
Ooh, a blank prototype.  Nice idea.  Might be cheaper and faster.  I'll talk to Melissa about it.  SP is closed on Friday, unfortunately.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #307 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 21:49:14 »
All you need to buy is 2 blank esc keys - 1 with HU mount, 1 with 6U mount. Put them on a keyboard with vintage cherry doubleshot F1-F12 keys - preferably between 2 F keys. Take a flat plastic ruler and lay it across them. And then whichever of the 2 is closest - that is the mount we use. If 6U is shorter but closer, I won't blame you for picking HU. Sound good?
R.I.P.ster

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #308 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 22:01:35 »
I have just learned that on taobao the number in stock is a LIE! All those WNV's in stock on taobao may or may not "really" be in stock. But if I do end up getting 1 it'll be sweet. But also depressing considering they cost about $200 USD BEFORE they get smuggled to america. WHY MUST THE KEYBOARDS CONTROL MY WALLET?!! WHY?!!
R.I.P.ster

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #309 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 23:49:52 »
Quote from: The_Ed;471802
All you need to buy is 2 blank esc keys - 1 with HU mount, 1 with 6U mount. Put them on a keyboard with vintage cherry doubleshot F1-F12 keys - preferably between 2 F keys. Take a flat plastic ruler and lay it across them. And then whichever of the 2 is closest - that is the mount we use. If 6U is shorter but closer, I won't blame you for picking HU. Sound good?

What are you talking about?  Are there keys of varying stem heights available for immediate sale that I don't know about?

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #310 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 23:51:38 »
Quote from: The_Ed;471807
I have just learned that on taobao the number in stock is a LIE! All those WNV's in stock on taobao may or may not "really" be in stock. But if I do end up getting 1 it'll be sweet. But also depressing considering they cost about $200 USD BEFORE they get smuggled to america. WHY MUST THE KEYBOARDS CONTROL MY WALLET?!! WHY?!!

*if* they actually have double shot red Esc key.  Good luck.  Let us know.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #311 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 23:56:08 »
The prototype did not arrive in the mail today.  I blame Santa Claus.  Hopefully it'll come tomorrow.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #312 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 00:08:03 »
Quote from: hashbaz;471853
What are you talking about?  Are there keys of varying stem heights available for immediate sale that I don't know about?

I would think that they have some of everything somewhere. And if they don't it should only be a few dollars for 2 blank keys right?
R.I.P.ster

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #313 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 00:09:51 »
Quote from: The_Ed;471860
I would think that they have some of everything somewhere. And if they don't it should only be a few dollars for 2 blank keys right?

That's a huge amount of assuming.  I'll know on Monday when Melissa gets back to me.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #314 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 21:15:27 »
Prototype arrived, I'll have pics up shortly.

Offline bavman

« Reply #315 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 21:27:17 »
Quote from: hashbaz;472565
Prototype arrived, I'll have pics up shortly.

Pics or it didnt happen

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #316 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 22:12:54 »
Then it will have happened shortly. :P

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #317 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 22:54:25 »
Ok, here they are.  Looking at it in person side-by-side with a real Cherry Escape, the smallness of the font is quite noticeable, both in overall scale and line width.  The prototype does seem slightly off-center vertically.  I haven't measured to be sure, but eyeballing it it seems to be aligned with the Cherry at the top edge of the lettering, and since the prototype's legend is shorter it's not quite at full center.

At the end of the day, am I happy with this?  Yeah.  It definitely reads Cherry to me, better than the extra bold 2nd-gen moogle legends.  I'm also game for another attempt if you experts tell me there's a cutter that will look better.

I know most of the images are slightly out of focus.  Let me know if you want more pictures and I'll try to do better.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 35264[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 35258[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 35259[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 35260[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 35261[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 35262[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 35263[/ATTACH]

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #318 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 22:57:50 »
As for the stem length issue, it's not noticeably different to me.  That said, I'm willing pick up the two stem sizes that The_Ed recommended and pick the closest one to authentic Cherry, provided they are quick and cheap.

Offline cycloverid

« Reply #319 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 23:18:09 »
As long as it's within budget still, let's do another SVG.  I now have everything I need to get the lettering sized and placed correctly.

The cutter size has me worried though.  Optical illusions aside, that cutter size looks too small.  I'll ask Melissa about the .018" cutter on Monday.

Once again, the proportions look almost perfect - it's mostly just a matter of scale.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #320 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 23:50:36 »
Quote from: hashbaz;472602
As for the stem length issue, it's not noticeably different to me.  That said, I'm willing pick up the two stem sizes that The_Ed recommended and pick the closest one to authentic Cherry, provided they are quick and cheap.

As far as i can tell from the other signature plastic caps I own, signature plastic's R1 profile is pretty much identical (height wise) to the cherry ones once you mount them onto the keyboard. So the point The_Ed brought up shouldn't be an issue as far as Esc key is concerned.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 December 2011, 12:08:36 by pitashen »
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline AlleyViper

« Reply #321 on: Sat, 17 December 2011, 12:47:44 »
Quote from: cycloverid;472609

Once again, the proportions look almost perfect - it's mostly just a matter of scale.

It almost seems that the cutter followed your SVG but instead of adding thickness around the lines, it was only inwards. So the E height never reached the ~2mm after bleed.
just asking: Even so, if you scale your SVG to fulfill the target E height, and after the slight left border reduction, will it be enough to have a (h) centered "c" without messing with kerning? Btw, I guess this detail isn't much important as left alignment to match other keys, as a different surface area will throw away such small detail.

Btw, I also confirm that after a esc SP is in place (g80-3000 L), it's only as slightly raised as the prototype seems vs the double-shots. Now if the red matched the original orangish key... ;)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #322 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 15:54:06 »
Quote from: hashbaz;472602

Melissa says that the only standard stem length available for DCS keycaps is the one we have.  6U and HU are for the DSA family.  So any adjustment will require custom setup and will cost hundreds of dollars.

Offline cycloverid

« Reply #323 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 17:19:20 »
Forgot to cc you hashbaz, but Melissa says yes on the 0.018".  So, I'll take some measurements and see if that seems like the right choice.

AlleyViper:  I mean, my SVG lettering is too small based on the overlay comparison - regardless of any other issues in the manufacturing process.

I'm just going to make all the new lettering sized to the overlay comparison image I posted - not accounting for any other observations.

.018" works out to just over .45mm, not the kind of round numbers I'd expect in manufacturing.  But when dealing with what looks best, I guess these things take lower priority.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 December 2011, 18:00:30 by cycloverid »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #324 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 18:17:15 »
Are you adjusting Ctrl/Alt/Shift as well, or just Escape?

Offline cycloverid

« Reply #325 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 18:26:22 »
Everything :(

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #326 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 18:31:12 »
:)

Offline agor

« Reply #327 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 05:11:15 »
By the way, why is no capslock included?
Unfortunately I only have 1 Moogle2 Kit :(
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline Grond

« Reply #328 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 05:29:51 »
I wouldn't mind a "handbag" capslock in the future. I tried to order it from GB4 but apparently it has been dropped.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #329 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 06:12:29 »
Quote from: agor;475751

There's no caps lock because this is not a moogle kit, it's an RGBY set.  An extra key means extra legend and production costs.  That said, all it's missing is a space bar and a caps lock...
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 December 2011, 06:18:01 by hashbaz »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #330 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 06:17:13 »
Quote from: Grond;475757
I wouldn't mind a "handbag" capslock in the future. I tried to order it from GB4 but apparently it has been dropped.

There might be enough caps lock demand to support its own group buy..?
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 December 2011, 06:20:49 by hashbaz »

Offline N8N

« Reply #331 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 08:46:40 »
If we were to add capslock it would make sense to add menu and space bar as well to make a full RGBY "moogle kit..."  and then people would want the option of black or grey for caps/menu and black or beige for spacebar... might be too much scope creep for this GB.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Atenacius

« Reply #332 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 11:35:09 »
Caps Lock is kind of an odd ball. I don't think it qualifies for this GB.

Keychron Q6 GATERON G PRO YELLOW
Vortex Pok3r CHERRY MX RED
Das Keyboard Model S CHERRY MX BLUE
IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline Grond

« Reply #333 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 16:17:07 »
I didn't mean to propose it for this GB indeed. I just wouldn't mind to see it happening in a future order. And BTW, do you think it would be possible for SP to make a caps lock that's both stepped AND center stemmed?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #334 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 17:06:43 »
Quote from: Grond;476159
I didn't mean to propose it for this GB indeed. I just wouldn't mind to see it happening in a future order. And BTW, do you think it would be possible for SP to make a caps lock that's both stepped AND center stemmed?
I'm sure it'd be a new mold, and, therefore, expensive.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #335 on: Thu, 22 December 2011, 20:19:08 »
Ah yeah I forgot about the Menu key.  And I believe ripster has said that SP can't do stepped caps lock.  Something about blah blah blah geometry problem, GLWIC.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #336 on: Fri, 23 December 2011, 01:13:09 »
Quote from: agor;475751

If you use black keyboard you can try if NOIR/RGBY or NOIR/RGB kit is still available, they include anti-caps lock key. Might not be a moogle kit, but I would personally settle on that.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Grond

« Reply #337 on: Fri, 23 December 2011, 04:07:14 »
I did order a handbag capslock in noir style, but apparently it has been dropped cause I don't see it anymore in my latest pre-order bills.

And I believe ripster has said that SP can't do stepped caps lock.

Yes they can, it was made for round three, it was not center stemmed though.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #338 on: Tue, 27 December 2011, 02:55:33 »
Just want to make sure everyone's clear on the status of the buy.  As soon as I receive updated SVGs from cycloverid I'll make a decision on whether to do another prototype or just pull the trigger and place the order.  Sorry this is taking longer than expected.  The final result will be worth it!

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #339 on: Tue, 27 December 2011, 09:15:12 »
Take your time, it's better to do it correctly.

Thanks!

Offline Reptile

« Reply #340 on: Tue, 27 December 2011, 10:02:59 »
The escape key taking so long... I can still order more right?
Home:Realforce 87UB 55g
Work:Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #341 on: Tue, 27 December 2011, 20:05:35 »
Quote from: tjweir;478320
Take your time, it's better to do it correctly.

Thanks!
I agree. I had to look up what I ordered, but I'd rather this be done properly than have issues later.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #342 on: Tue, 27 December 2011, 20:26:12 »
Thanks for understanding, guys. I figure those interested in duplicate Cherry keys will appreciate the time and effort required to get the legends right.

And yeah feel free to add to your orders if you want to.  I haven't been advertising it, but I'm still accepting new orders as they come in too.

Offline zzspectrez

« Reply #343 on: Tue, 27 December 2011, 20:50:43 »
Add me!

4 x REDESC
1 x RGBY-ANSI

USA
standard shipping

Offline Kisakuku

« Reply #344 on: Wed, 28 December 2011, 08:02:51 »
So now that the new SVGs are done, wouldn't it make sense to do another GB for the regular colored moogle kits (black and gray) and maybe Esc?

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #345 on: Wed, 28 December 2011, 08:08:01 »
Quote from: Kisakuku;478901
So now that the new SVGs are done, wouldn't it make sense to do another GB for the regular colored moogle kits (black and gray) and maybe Esc?

More moogle kits!!!!!
Keyboardless

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #346 on: Wed, 28 December 2011, 08:42:52 »
No love for WYSE Moogle Kit?
Kits with standard SP fonts should be cheap to make. :cool:

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #347 on: Thu, 29 December 2011, 01:06:21 »
Quote from: kaiserreich;478921
No love for WYSE Moogle Kit?
Kits with standard SP fonts should be cheap to make. :cool:
WYSE? Of the three sets I have, not many keys (beyond A-Z) work on a normal keyboard, those thick doubleshots are awesome. I'd probably be interested.

I mean, I'm using the capslock as backspace, and return as the numpad + on my WASD keyboard currently.

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #348 on: Thu, 29 December 2011, 21:24:52 »
Any chance of still filling in?

3x REDESC
1x RGBY-ANSI
USA
standard shipping

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #349 on: Fri, 30 December 2011, 07:58:44 »
Same here. If anyone backed out etc I'd like to get in.