Author Topic: [IC] PBT REX  (Read 11383 times)

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
[IC] PBT REX
« on: Wed, 21 December 2022, 09:35:32 »

PIXEL REX

This is a tribute to everyone’s favourite pixelated prehistoric protagonist - Tyrone Reximillius. This raptor relentlessly races forward, leaping over obstacles as a lonely lizard facing unending hordes of hostile cacti and terrifying pterodactyls in a desert of disconnection.

KITS

BASE KIT (Monochrome)

BASE KIT (Dinochrome)

NOVELTIES (Monochrome)

NOVELTIES (Dinochrome)

ALPHA KIT (Enchantment Subs)

ALPHA KIT レックス
(Hiragana Subs)

- this is sort of a joke kit, y'know it didn't look too bad. I might not include it though in final kitting -

SPACEBARS

MODIFIERS (Dinochrome)

DESKMATS

Rexscape Night

Rexscape Day

Live Dino Repeat

Jurassic Pixel

T-Rad

RENDERS

COLLABORATIONS
Open to collaborations - kindly DM me on Discord (BobaSweatandTears#1659) to discuss

FEEDBACK
Form link:  https://forms.gle/hUXf7F9jNDHyWwrQ8

Let me know your thoughts. Honestly, the colour scheme isn't innovative/new (it's a dark Dolch-like scheme with RGBY accents), nor is this the first time pixelated legends have been done, but I like this combination, and think the dinos make it cute. I honestly just wanted a fun simple keycap set to match/showcase the deskmats lol. It also scratches my childhood itch of loving dinosaurs, and pixelated graphics fulfills my childhood nostalgia.

LOGISTICS

Vendors
TBA

Group Buy Doomsday Date
TBA

Estimated Fulfillment Period
TBA

FAQ

Specifications?
Cherry profile.
PBT, reverse dyesub.
All legends here are pixelated, so it's not realistic/viable to get doubleshot moulds.

Manufacturer?
Undecided - WS? DMK? There are alternatives Dyesub PBT Manus such as KBM? MW? TMT? - I'm open to suggestions re: dyesub manus.
I'd probably get samples before 100% confirming.
Looking for whatever appears to be decently priced, with a reasonable MOQ and kitting capacity, with a production timeline on the shorter end.
WS dyesub prototypes of WS Camping look decent.
Pixelated legends will also look better dye-sublimated due to the sharp corners.

Inspiration?
There is ‘no connection’ (hah) between this and one of the most popular games played when there is no connection. All similarities are purely coincidental.

Anways, Faiz suggested I design a deskmat to complement the Dino104. I had a lot of fun with that, to the point that I thought it was worth complementing it with a fun and simple keycap set. It then evolved from a simple monochromatic ‘Dolch’ type scheme, to pixelated legends and RGBY mods for a bit more fun.
Anyways I just wanted a pixelated legends set in Cherry profile.

Legality?
I honestly don't know. I tried to find further relevant information, but was unable to unearth anything substantive. The original source and Chromium are open source. But yeah I drew all the novelties (honestly not that hard), and they're not exactly 1:1 to the original if you want to be pedantic. There are also multiple new elements too, such as the triceratops, parasaurolophus, stegosaurus, pachycephalosaurus, pterodactyl carrying raptor etc. I've also seen other keyboard related items with same inspiration ran with no issues. So I very much doubt they will care at all about this. The big G has all my private information anyways, so they should already know I'm doing this :P. But if it doesn't manage to get GB run, c'est la vie. This was a fun pixel fan art concept project to showcase some deskmat designs anyways.

TO DO
Optimise kitting based on feedback
Confirm vendors and GB dates

LINKS
Instagram:: @boba.types
Discord Server:: https://discord.gg/Jc6qpdDdmF

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
The big G, and originators of the sauce at chrome://dino (E Jung & S Gabriel)
Faiz - his suggestion to design a deskpad to complement Dino104 led to this.
Jebbra - for the pixel icon modifiers as basis
Designers of the respective keyboards used in the renders (Paragon by Artemis Design, Haus by Hand Engineering, Maja by Vulcan, Petrichor by Alchemist Keyboard, Dino104 by Faiz, Phoenix by Cable Car Design, Rama U-80 by Ramaworks)
Imperfectlink for Keyboard Render Kit
All the people who've assisted me in my prior designs, which led to my skill/knowledge in this hobby, from kitting to renders and design. Shout out to Oli, Dylan, Pseudo, Dudeship, Nopunin10did, Konstantin, Swishy.

« Last Edit: Sat, 24 December 2022, 05:25:35 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline KeyBros_

Re: [IC] PBT REX
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 December 2022, 12:13:11 »
If that has no Copyright or legal issues, it's crazy good, I really love it. Please, check it properly.

Offline Akele

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 December 2022, 14:08:57 »
Looks good. Would you consider an international kit (NorDeUK)?

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 December 2022, 16:29:44 »
Looks good. Would you consider an international kit (NorDeUK)?

Echoing this sentiment. Depending on what manu you go with, please ask them about the cost of NorDeUK.

I like it. The inspiration's cute. I like the colourful mods.

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 December 2022, 16:37:47 »
If this can be done - it is a pretty great balance between meme and usable. This is pure fun.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 December 2022, 16:43:11 by HappyB0T »

Offline PlasticPineapple

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 December 2022, 16:59:30 »
All of the deskmat designs are great

Offline Its Salty

• I have no idea what I'm doing
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 December 2022, 17:51:34 »
looks good, only a cease and desist is standing in the way

hopefully this doesn't break any laws

Offline arr1

• Ñ supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 December 2022, 01:13:35 »
One of the most original sets I have ever seen. As mentioned, consider including NordeuK, but with Ñ please. The Spanish and Latinoamerican community struggle a lot to find sets with it.

Offline Xury46

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 December 2022, 02:04:20 »
This is fantastic! Great work.

Offline origintypes

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 December 2022, 13:37:34 »
I really like all items on this post. I hope you find the right vendors for this project.
Can't wait until the GB  ;)

Offline phatmasterq

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 22 December 2022, 16:11:51 »
this is heaps fun, i eff wit it. (& the deskmats are fire good job homie). GLWIC

Offline Ipal Desse

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 December 2022, 22:32:27 »
Love this. Please do not throw away Hiragana subs kit, I love it, and even wanna buy it lol, it appears to my like text in some 2d-perspective-pixelated games, very cool kitting btw

Offline Coreda

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 23 December 2022, 06:20:38 »
Love the deskmats (day/night and Jurassic Pixel).

Offline diskdriver

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 December 2022, 22:33:35 »
I think dmk is a good choice,They now have the production of high quality Thermal Sublimation PBT Keycaps

Offline Ashen_21

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 25 December 2022, 05:44:37 »
If that has no Copyright or legal issues, it's crazy good, I really love it. Please, check it properly.

Another to echo this statement,  but if it's all good, it's super cute and would definitely be interested in getting the set! GLWIC!!!

Offline Xury46

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 29 December 2022, 21:44:19 »
Would you consider breaking up the kitting a little more? Maybe add a numpad kit and add the missing Function row keys to the novelty kits?

I would love to deck out a 108 key full-size board with the novelties + sub-legend alphas kit. But with your current kitting I would be coming up shy just a few keys without also buying a base kit.

It would be incredibly wasteful to have to buy a base kit just to get the F1-4, F9-12, and the numpad keys.

Offline udller

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 29 December 2022, 23:55:46 »
i think this is the best intrestcheck in a very long time. super interested :) in nearly it all. :)

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 30 December 2022, 04:46:36 »
Thanks for all the kind comments/positive feedback. It's nice to know there are people who like the theme/colours too!

I'm still exploring potential dyesub manufacturers as there are a plethora of options. However several are newer so there's not a lot of consensus opinion on the level of quality of the caps  Given it's reverse dye sub with primary colours on black, I'll be going with a manu who will prototype and demonstrate that the black can be true black, and not dark navy, which occurs on some of those clone sets on Alix. I will let people know in due time whom I shall pick.

re: kitting
> Hiragana sublegends alphas
There's considerable interest, so I'd like to keep them as I'm also a fan of them too being a weeb and all. However this will end up being dependent on Manu/MOQ for child kits. I might not be able to include them in this GB, but perhaps there might be a future set it may be an option for.

> Requests for International kit.
Depending on the manufacturer, I will hopefully get to add an International kit. It will take me time to confirm the the pixelated alphas legends will still look okay on all the non-English letters, given all the extra accent symbols... In regards to catering ES/PT/IT, I can't make any promises, and have to see what the MOQ for child kits are (usually pretty decent in Dyesub PBT).  I think it might more sense to fit in ISO-ES into NORDEUK, then adding a second international kit.

> Spacebar kit
I'm not exactly sure if all the accent White shortbars are completely necessary, but I did throw them all in, in case there were others like me, who sometimes prefer using accent coloured spacebars in split layout. I personally think they give a nice pop on Alice type layouts. Also you can't go wrong with having a few extra small spacebars in white. Of course a lot of this is dependent on the kitting price/manu/MOQ, and if I have to trim/slim down, the small white bars will disappear first. I might very well bake more spacebars into the base kit if possible.

> Splitting off base kit alphas so customers can mix and match as they prefer? Text mods?
Will depend on Manufacturer/MOQ.
Although splitting off base kits into separate alphas/mods is definitely better for buyers, it also creates lots of new SKUs and base kits are much simpler/straight forward at the cost of flexibility.
I don't really want to do text mods as I think kitting gets really complicated when you have different types of modifier legends, and I already have 2 different colour scheme for modifiers too! I did originally plan to do text modifiers, but icon legends looked much cleaner (and higher effort from a design perspective) to me.

> Adding F-row keys and numpad keys to novelty kit
I didn't realise there were people here that still use 100% layout keyboards :p
I guess I can potentially add the F1-4, F9-12, and the numpad keys instead into the Alpha kits, so that way you can combine the sublegend with the novelties, and it would still work. It is extra keys and cost to the alpha kits though (there's always a price to be paid when increasing compatibility). But it makes more sense there, then in the novelty kit.
I wouldn't go full novelties for the modifiers, but it's an option I made available for those who want to go for that angle. Sorry I forgot about the 108 key users. Ultimately this depends on the manufacturer and kitting cost/MOQ. Having 2 novelty kits is already a bit unusual, and I might just simplify it into one. It may mean your dream of having full novelties for all the modifier for a full size keyboard is not possible...
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 January 2023, 01:11:34 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline ZippoW2905

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 21 February 2023, 08:21:27 »
Hi! Any update on this? I'd love to see this set be realized!

Offline TypeBis

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 24 February 2023, 13:42:37 »
please make this happen!

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 24 February 2023, 15:42:48 »
This is pretty rad!

Offline hyperfix8

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 24 February 2023, 23:19:10 »
No clue on what the status of this IC is, but I think NovelKeys could be a really good Manu for this, seems like it would fit in well. GLIC

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 04:41:20 »
this is a brilliant concept.
wishing this IC good luck.

Offline bordboards

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 13 March 2023, 21:30:43 »
loving the little throwback

Offline blakstealth

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 16:59:50 »
love the deskmats

Offline switchlab.sg

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 06 April 2023, 08:08:28 »
Love the concept and those deskmats are amazing!