Author Topic: Help with nostalgic Knight Rider lighting effect on Drop Alt  (Read 1718 times)

Offline CarnageHimura

Help with nostalgic Knight Rider lighting effect on Drop Alt
« on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 14:52:57 »
Hi all, I know I'm talking about 2 things not much apreciated here: the Drop Alt and Light effects... but, my Black high profile barely arrives and, honestly, I like the RGB things because I can put they in red and never change it.

Checking the included effects I saw this effect on the edge light strip with red scrolling and I'm wondering if there is a way to make that go from left to right and back, like the Knigh Rider K.I.T.T. front.

I'm really a noob in QMK, and as you probably know the Drop web configurator is very limited, so I'm looking for help here.

Thank you in advance for your time!!

« Last Edit: Tue, 28 July 2020, 14:56:29 by CarnageHimura »

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
Re: Help with nostalgic Knight Rider lighting effect on Drop Alt
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 14:31:14 »
There is a built in light effect in QMK called 'knight' activated by the code rgblight_effect_knight that acts as you describe, in KITT fashion.

If you're using QMK, you can bind it to any key with the keycode RGB_MODE_KNIGHT

It's probably worth pointing out, in case you aren't aware, that you can avoid using the DROP configurator and use the regular QMK Configurator as there's a listing in there for the Drop Alt
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 July 2020, 14:45:26 by -Jerry- »
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline CarnageHimura

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 16:22:49 »
Thank you for your reply Jerry!! I wasn't aware of the compatibility on the QMK configurator! let me check that, because in a quick watch I didn't see a light configuration option, actually I have a 6 layer configuration made on the Drop configurator, and I see a tutorial in wich they load the firmware file on Visual Studio Code and from there they can make changes at the configuration of the layers.

So, if I can do that, thechnically I can replace the lighting effect of my specific layer with RGB_MODE_KNIGT and it should work?

Thank you and sorry for my total noobness in how QMK works

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 16:41:32 »
Sure can, you can set either colours or effects per layer thanks to the RGBLIGHT_LAYERS functions in QMK.

You can find all the information here in the QMK documentation.

I don't have it done as effects, but rather colours, but you can get it working like this, with a different lighting state on each layer.

"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"