Author Topic: Topre Realforce RGB Keyboard  (Read 12116 times)

Offline Tempest790

Topre Realforce RGB Keyboard
« on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 12:16:24 »
My Topre Realforce RGB keyboard came yesterday.  I’ve been setting it up and customizing the RGB layout.

This is my first time typing on a Topre keyboard.  I must say, I really do like it.  I wasn’t sure how I’d feel with the keyboard since I really don’t care for rubber domes.

RGB Backlighting:
The RGB backlighting is nice.  I like backlit keyboards and a full 104 layout, so this keyboard fits for me.  I’ve also had Ducky keyboards (lost those unfortunately) and a Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro L RGB Cherry MX Brown keyboard.  The Realforce RGB lighting is duller and dimmer than the Masterkeys Pro.  Plus, the RGB lighting doesn’t seem to really affect the key color until you’re over 128 (from 0-256) on the color scale.  You also only get 3 profiles on the Realforce instead of 4 for the Masterkeys.  The Caps Lock, Num Lock, and Scroll Lock all stay on whether activated or not.  There are separate red LED indicators between the +4 keys and the numpad.  That will probably take a little getting used to.

The Masterkey allows RGB customization per key direct from the keyboard – no software required (although it’s available).  The Realforce cannot be customized without downloading the software from their website.  Once installed, it will detect the keyboard and allow pretty much unlimited colors.

Topre switches:
Although I’ve only been typing on this a couple of days now, I’m impressed.  Topre switches have a very refined feel to them compared to the Cherry’s MX switches.  The key have softer landing and quick upstroke.  The Cherry MX brown Masterkeys is louder and doesn’t feel as nice as the Topre switches although I still like it.  I’m wondering if Cherry MX Silent switches would compare better to the Topre?

You can customize the actuation points with the last +4 key in the top right.  If you press the keys really softly, you can tell if it’s actuating higher and lower.  The keyboard changes color temporarily when you do that.  I really don’t type softly, so it doesn’t seem to affect my typing.  I think the standard 2.2 mm actuation is just fine for most purposes.

Keycaps:
Overall they feel very nice.  They have a textured feel to them compared to the smooth Masterkeys Pro key caps.  I do not know how long the texture will last though.  I don’t really like the stencil look on some of the keys like the 8, 9, B, D, etc.  Plus, the shift character is the same height next to the primary character which makes it look a little confusing and cluttered.  I would have preferred the shift character to be dropped down or offset slightly.  I will probably be in the market for some aftermarket keycaps for the Realforce.

Final thoughts:

This will become my daily driver keyboard.  It’s definitely a keeper, and Topre has done a good job with this.  Cherry MX stems makes it worthwhile for easy key cap customization which I think a lot of people will look into.  I will update later after using this keyboard for awhile.

Pictures:

https://flic.kr/p/PNEiWD

https://flic.kr/p/PNEjFV

https://flic.kr/p/Pf2XZU
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 December 2016, 15:46:01 by Tempest790 »

Offline zslane

Re: Topre Realforce RGB Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 12:22:17 »
It is my main driver at home right now, outfitted with PuLsE keycaps.

I am primarily a linear switch guy, but I also appreciate a good tactile switch, and for my money there's none better than a genuine Topre switch. The only thing I didn't like about the RealForce RGB board out of the box was how loud the upstroke noise was, and so I installed silencing rings (harvested from a crappy Noppoo board). Doing so transformed the board into something truly sublime.

In fact, I like this board so much I bought a second one.

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 15:47:23 »
Those Pulse keycaps look fantastic.  Reminds me of classic typewriter keys.

Offline zslane

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 15:55:26 »
This reminds you of classic typewriter keys?

154421-0

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 02:00:16 »
The large font on the keys and the rounded corners look very much like the IBM Selectrics.  Most modern Cherry keycaps are very square.

That's why I was also interested in the Realforce 104UG with the High-Profile key caps.  The key caps are more rounded and the key rows are sloped.

Offline zslane

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 10:23:59 »
Ah, you are referring to keycaps with spherical tops. Yes, the golden age of computer (terminal) keyboards was all about spherical keycaps because that was the style for pretty much all electronic keyboards back then, influenced largely by the success of the IBM Selectric. Spherical keycaps are the only keycaps I willingly type on, which is why I prefer the SA or DSA keycap families on all my boards.

Offline Lipton

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 10:36:35 »
Looks awesome! I love my Cooler Master Nova Touch, Topre as well  :thumb:

Offline hanoipho

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 05:37:17 »
This review is really helpful for me. I'm thinking about switching from Mx to torpe keyboard. Thank you for your detailed review!  :thumb:

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 19:17:51 »
Plus, the RGB lighting doesn’t seem to really affect the key color until you’re over 128 (from 0-256) on the color scale.

This is because of the black keycaps.  Black translucent legends don't let as much light through as white translucent legends do, in my experience.  If there were a white set of those stock keycaps available (or if you used the Vortex 128 key PBT set), or any of those Chinese doubleshot PBT white sets (like Bossi), you would get much better color response.

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 15:03:45 »
I swapped out the standard keycaps with the new PBT Ducky double-shot white ones.  The PBT does feel better, but I really like that the backlighting comes through a lot more.  The original caps made the backlight somewhat dull.  This keyboard has been my daily driver for some time now, and I still like it.

Thanks to falkentyne for the tip.

« Last Edit: Sat, 24 March 2018, 15:11:40 by Tempest790 »