Author Topic: [IC] R0 // R5 Modern Compatibility Kit for Classic Sets - pls fill form  (Read 31401 times)

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
Re: [IC] R0 // R5 Modern Compatibility Kit for Classic Sets
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 00:52:17 »
Icon mods? ;D

pls no

If it's going to be on a different set with a different MOQ, I don't see why not. It's only a suggestion so I'm fine either way

Did you mean bottom row Icon mods? If so, I don't think I'd want to go that route :) It'd be difficult to create another kit and hit MOQ for that.

Yes please! N9/CC for Dolch would even be better

I was heavily considering Dolch as well, but adding that would bring the kit up to 113 keys :(

don't need to bloat the kit anymore. Actually I think it might be better if you run just the beige key, then the WoB/Dolch on the 2nd and 3rd run. That way the kit is minimised, prices should be lower and people don't feel like they waste half the set

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 06:18:04 »
don't need to bloat the kit anymore. Actually I think it might be better if you run just the beige key, then the WoB/Dolch on the 2nd and 3rd run. That way the kit is minimised, prices should be lower and people don't feel like they waste half the set

That's close to what I was going to ask right now - would it be feasible to have two separate kits (three if Dolch should be added) on the GB? I'd be all over the beige but wouldn't care for the WoB, for example, and this way I wouldn't need to put half the set away.

Offline glubazoid

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 13:14:28 »

That's close to what I was going to ask right now - would it be feasible to have two separate kits (three if Dolch should be added) on the GB? I'd be all over the beige but wouldn't care for the WoB, for example, and this way I wouldn't need to put half the set away.

I was considering this, but I'm worried that, individually, they won't make MOQ.

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 13:17:10 »

I was considering this, but I'm worried that, individually, they won't make MOQ.

I'm quite sure these things will sort themselves on classifieds.

Offline glubazoid

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 13:18:15 »
My thoughts as well, if you don't want it. Someone will!

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 16:03:18 »
Very ready!  :thumb:

Edit. Whats the color for the beige kit?
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 June 2019, 16:04:57 by RETURNISO »

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 20:22:28 »

Hopefully L9 and U9 or this whole thing is a bust.

Offline glubazoid

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 23:13:40 »

It's using custom RGB codes that I personally chose.

Just kidding, L9 and U9 of course LOL

Offline spyruf

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 23:34:52 »
I feel like the beige is definitely more popular than the black and things won't really sort themselves in the second hand market because anyone that wants this set will be sure to buy it just in case.

In my opinion it would be wise to take a strawpoll or google form to see how much interest there really is in L9 vs U9.

Based on my assumption that L9 is more popular and that it will be able to meet MOQ on it's own, I think it's "unfair" for the L9 buyers to have to be paying a higher cost for unnecessary keys just so the U9 buyers can have the keys they want produced.

that's my 2 cents, a poll would definitely help to get more concrete info.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 June 2019, 23:39:36 by spyruf »

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 23:59:51 »
I feel like the beige is definitely more popular than the black and things won't really sort themselves in the second hand market because anyone that wants this set will be sure to buy it just in case.

In my opinion it would be wise to take a strawpoll or google form to see how much interest there really is in L9 vs U9.

Based on my assumption that L9 is more popular and that it will be able to meet MOQ on it's own, I think it's "unfair" for the L9 buyers to have to be paying a higher cost for unnecessary keys just so the U9 buyers can have the keys they want produced.

wut? mods are U9 and alphas are L9.  It's not L9 vs U9.  :eek:

Offline jordowag

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 00:12:46 »
count me in on this! love my beige colors :)

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 07:02:23 »

Pretty sure they mean L9 + U9 vs CR, but even then i'm pretty sure they're wrong. WoB is an incredibly popular colourway, it's essentially standard.

Would be nice to confirm the legend colour for the WoB, since newer sets use WS1 but apparently earlier sets might use something different?

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 07:37:13 »
I think it's "unfair" for the L9 buyers to have to be paying a higher cost for unnecessary keys just so the U9 buyers can have the keys they want produced.

Every set has extra keys that someone doesn't need chief. Problem is, those keys are for compatibility and if they weren't there many sets wouldn't exist because buyers would pass on them since they do not fit their preferred layout. Drop the whole unfair shtick, if you feel there's something in a kit you don't need and it's "unfair", you might want to look towards other hobbies.

I think this kit fills many voids in compatibility, and Beige (L9 and U9) and WoB (CR) are both pretty darn popular colors spanning many different decades.

Offline glubazoid

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 22:59:06 »

Pretty sure they mean L9 + U9 vs CR, but even then i'm pretty sure they're wrong. WoB is an incredibly popular colourway, it's essentially standard.

Would be nice to confirm the legend colour for the WoB, since newer sets use WS1 but apparently earlier sets might use something different?

I'll be using WS1 for WoB, idea is that if someone wants to try out the profile, they could purchase this kit along with GMK Classic retro and WoB/ Originative- which are readily available right now.

Offline glubazoid

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 23:24:01 »

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 12:41:31 »
I think it's "unfair" for the L9 buyers to have to be paying a higher cost for unnecessary keys just so the U9 buyers can have the keys they want produced.

Every set has extra keys that someone doesn't need chief. Problem is, those keys are for compatibility and if they weren't there many sets wouldn't exist because buyers would pass on them since they do not fit their preferred layout.

You do have a point, BUT... it's one thing to have a few extra keys that amount to ~15% of the entire kit, and another one to have a kit where 50% (fifty per cent) of the kit is going to be unused from the very start. It's kind of a lot.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 12:48:28 »

Every set has extra keys that someone doesn't need chief. Problem is, those keys are for compatibility and if they weren't there many sets wouldn't exist because buyers would pass on them since they do not fit their preferred layout.

You do have a point, BUT... it's one thing to have a few extra keys that amount to ~15% of the entire kit, and another one to have a kit where 50% (fifty per cent) of the kit is going to be unused from the very start. It's kind of a lot.

Percentage-wise sure, but that's not on the same scale. This is a relatively small set, so the cost will be smaller accordingly.

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 12:52:24 »

Percentage-wise sure, but that's not on the same scale. This is a relatively small set, so the cost will be smaller accordingly.

Of course, but it IS a factor to take into account instead of offhandedly discarding it.

Offline glubazoid

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 15:26:10 »

My worry is that it won't meet MOQ on it's own. Splitting the kits up eventually lead me to having two separate MOQ's which is more difficult to reach than one. There is enough interest for WoB AND Beige, according to the interest check I put up, its pretty much 50/50.

Unlike other GMK kits, you can most definitely split this up and sell it aftermarket. It's not like a 60% user purchasing a GMK set and selling off the other keys they don't use.

People always miss group buys, there is always a second hand market.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 16:27:44 »
Unlike other GMK kits, you can most definitely split this up and sell it aftermarket. It's not like a 60% user purchasing a GMK set and selling off the other keys they don't use.

Agreed - I'm planning to go halves with a friend who has GMK 9009 (and I have WoB)  :D

Offline RETURNISO

It's using custom RGB codes that I personally chose.

Just kidding, L9 and U9 of course LOL

Does that match "hellgrau" ?

OK, i know its a long shot since you guys are already talking about splitting kits n lowering cost etc ^-^

But, but can we please add support for Alcatel caps? Would be freaking superior  :cool:

Am i not to sure about the colors atm but can figure that out. The hellgrau of some sort, does someone here know the GMK color match for them?

basic support, i think it would just need these

R1: 2u Backspace
R4: 1.75u Right Shift, 1u FN
R5: 1.5u ( Left Alt ), 1u ( Left GUI ), 1.5u ( Right Alt ) 1u ( Right GUI ), 1.75u Right Shift

Optional
ISO Enter
Ansi Enter

Anyway i am definitely not splitting my loot :p

Edit.

For full Alcatel support ANSI & ISO should be this + 7u spacebar  :p
221091-0

221093-1

« Last Edit: Fri, 14 June 2019, 15:49:52 by RETURNISO »

Offline pr0ximity

Very interested
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline depletedvespene

But, but can we please add support for Alcatel caps? Would be freaking superior  :cool:

Am i not to sure about the colors atm but can figure that out. The hellgrau of some sort, does someone here know the GMK color match for them?

R5: 1.5u ( Left Alt ), 1u ( Left GUI ), 1.5u ( Right Alt ) 1u ( Right GUI ), 1.75u Right Shift

Optional
ISO Enter
Ansi Enter

Edit.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

An Alcatel set is sufficiently different to warrant a separate GB, with its own color, and its own set of key caps (tailored to the MMX with minimal losses). So it should be the keys in your graphic, plus 2U numpad 0, numpad comma, numpad period (those in R4), R3 Tab, R2-3 numpad+ (plus a R1 = key because I say so). Perhaps an R2 1.5U Backspace key as well, because why not.

IMHO. YMMV. WDIKAA. And I'll take two sets of this, please!

Offline RETURNISO

Optional
ISO Enter
Ansi Enter

Edit.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

An Alcatel set is sufficiently different to warrant a separate GB, with its own color, and its own set of key caps (tailored to the MMX with minimal losses). So it should be the keys in your graphic, plus 2U numpad 0, numpad comma, numpad period (those in R4), R3 Tab, R2-3 numpad+ (plus a R1 = key because I say so). Perhaps an R2 1.5U Backspace key as well, because why not.

Would love to take 2 kits as well :D

221171-0

I rather have it included in in this GB, Trim some keys down to only support WKL / Tsangan layout as it already contains 2x R5 1.5u "ctrl" keys.
Use a accent or reg OG ANSI/ISO Enter ( To keep it minimum ), cross fingers OP thinks its a good idea. :)

Imho, i rather pay the extra $$$ to gain 3 new sets in one go.
If the majority of the buyers only have 1 OG set ( OG WoB / OG beige ). I totally get why this just have to be slimmed down and people can slit the kit etc. :)

Here is a shot where i use the alcatel alphas with 9009 mods. Its a HS60 pcb, locked to 6.25 bottom row. Cry, but aleast i get to use the OG spacebar  ^-^
221173-1
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 June 2019, 09:15:25 by RETURNISO »

Offline dorf

• divine creator
On my old OG-set from G80-1000 the sys rq on the prt sc key is pad printed green. Will you do this also?

Offline glubazoid

Optional
ISO Enter
Ansi Enter

Edit.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Would love to take 2 kits as well :D

(Attachment Link)

I rather have it included in in this GB, Trim some keys down to only support WKL / Tsangan layout as it already contains 2x R5 1.5u "ctrl" keys.
Use a accent or reg OG ANSI/ISO Enter ( To keep it minimum ), cross fingers OP thinks its a good idea. :)

Imho, i rather pay the extra $$$ to gain 3 new sets in one go.
If the majority of the buyers only have 1 OG set ( OG WoB / OG beige ). I totally get why this just have to be slimmed down and people can slit the kit etc. :)

Here is a shot where i use the alcatel alphas with 9009 mods. Its a HS60 pcb, locked to 6.25 bottom row. Cry, but aleast i get to use the OG spacebar  ^-^
(Attachment Link)

Unfortunately, the main goal of this set is to just have the top and bottom R0 and R5 rows :)

On my old OG-set from G80-1000 the sys rq on the prt sc key is pad printed green. Will you do this also?

Show Image

That's my intent. I have classic retro and I dig the look
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 June 2019, 00:00:23 by glubazoid »

Offline spyruf

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 23:59:34 »

Every set has extra keys that someone doesn't need chief. Problem is, those keys are for compatibility and if they weren't there many sets wouldn't exist because buyers would pass on them since they do not fit their preferred layout. Drop the whole unfair shtick, if you feel there's something in a kit you don't need and it's "unfair", you might want to look towards other hobbies.

I think this kit fills many voids in compatibility, and Beige (L9 and U9) and WoB (CR) are both pretty darn popular colors spanning many different decades.

I'm aware almost every kit has extra keys for compatibility. Maybe unfair wasn't the right word but it made most sense to me to have the kits separate. The main reasoning behind that was that most extra keys don't account for half the kit itself.

However, it seems glubazoid has done his research and decided having it in one kit is the best option.

Basically this ^

My worry is that it won't meet MOQ on it's own. Splitting the kits up eventually lead me to having two separate MOQ's which is more difficult to reach than one. There is enough interest for WoB AND Beige, according to the interest check I put up, its pretty much 50/50.

Out of curiosity what is MOQ / price breakdowns if they are separate vs together (from what I've heard GMK is heavily biased towards larger kits compared to SP).

Offline glubazoid

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 00:07:47 »

I'm aware almost every kit has extra keys for compatibility. Maybe unfair wasn't the right word but it made most sense to me to have the kits separate. The main reasoning behind that was that most extra keys don't account for half the kit itself.

However, it seems glubazoid has done his research and decided having it in one kit is the best option.

Basically this ^

Out of curiosity what is MOQ / price breakdowns if they are separate vs together (from what I've heard GMK is heavily biased towards larger kits compared to SP).

Since these are stock GMK colors, MOQ is 150. I'm working with a vendor to get quotes from GMK right now!

Offline RETURNISO

Unfortunately, the main goal of this set is to just have the top and bottom R0 and R5 rows :)

Yeah sorry for the divination. I reckon :)

Hope this will proceed vastly fast to GB :thumb:

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 13:53:57 »

If you're buying this to only use 50% of the kit, you should maximize your spending to product ratio and use like 75% of it instead.

Offline Poesjuh

I like the idea. Really really dislike the super though. Imo this kit is a reference to the og sets and should have a windows logo. Super feels wrong in every single way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline depletedvespene

I like the idea. Really really dislike the super though. Imo this kit is a reference to the og sets and should have a windows logo. Super feels wrong in every single way.

Sure, but the Windows logo was in and of itself wrong in the first place. The legend "Super" isn't ideal, but even good ol' U+1F4A9 as an icon is better than the Windows logo in this regard.

Offline equalunique

My interest in this IC began for a few reasons, but I didn't actually have GMK WoB at the time. Mostly, WS1 legends on CR are versatile. Other ICs for WoB Colevrak and WoB NORDEUK++  are gonna be fun to pair with it. I also missed out on R0/R5 when GMK Carbon R2 was running. So due to the fact that WoB is being offered here with a lot of different options, I'm more sure than ever that getting a WoB set is a good idea.

GMK WoB is being offered again on Drop (formerly Massdrop) as of yesterday for $110. I purchased a set specifically because these ICs exist... don't let me down! haha

Link: https://drop.com/buy/gmk-white-on-black-custom-keycap-set

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline rondg

No R0 Del key?  :(

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
I'm in.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

YES!!!
I still don't get why after GMK brought back the old "R5" and "R0" profiles, not all GBs switchted to using those. Instead most kept going with "R4" for the bottom row and and "R1" for the top/F.
I have a hole box full of old HAD and HAU sets and I'm super exited for this set. Will take a few.
Thanks for doing this!

Offline catamscott

any word on pricing?

Offline equalunique

YES!!!
I still don't get why after GMK brought back the old "R5" and "R0" profiles, not all GBs switchted to using those. Instead most kept going with "R4" for the bottom row and and "R1" for the top/F.

I would really like to know the reason too. Seems like a missed opportunity!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline fer.real

My WoB set just came in the mail today.  I hope this makes it to a GB.

Offline EMC Labs

yes

This looks cool!

Offline rondg

I think 75% will have full support if the R0 Delete key is added. Sorry, I really want this to be 75% compatible  ;D

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
I would buy it just for R5 1u Super and Fn, as I need them for Rama U80 keyboard.
But I would rather not to buy both colors, as do not need black set...

ANy possibility to add non-stepped Capslock?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline dorf

• divine creator
Any updates?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Just copped a G80-1800, so consider me in!

Offline glubazoid

Small update:

With the kits being this large, and most people owning either WoB or a retro set, I've decided to split this into two kits (would be easier on your wallets too).

Current vendor has some projects on their plate- but I'm working to finalize kits, which is getting close. Looks like R0 delete key is a popular option, as well as additional 1800 support.

« Last Edit: Mon, 05 August 2019, 16:44:25 by glubazoid »

Offline long_qt_pie

Re: [IC] R0 // R5 Modern Compatibility Kit for Classic Sets - pls fill form
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 11:03:04 »
I'm in
Jetfire | Mech 27 v1 | Mira SE | Singa | Orion 2.5 | Eo87 | Lubrigante | MGA | IBM F XT | AEKII | Lightpad | Exent | Dolphin Rev 2 | F1-8x | Mr Suit

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 12:10:04 »
I'm in, as well.

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 17:36:31 »
Read through the thread and didn't see this addressed, but it looks like the R5 1u and 2u Numpad 0 keys, as well as the r5 Numpad Delete key aren't the correct color, and should be the color of the F1-F4 instead of the color of the modifiers (unless I'm missing something).

Offline glubazoid

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 19:36:49 »
Read through the thread and didn't see this addressed, but it looks like the R5 1u and 2u Numpad 0 keys, as well as the r5 Numpad Delete key aren't the correct color, and should be the color of the F1-F4 instead of the color of the modifiers (unless I'm missing something).

You are correct, I'm just finalizing the kit with the vendor then update the thread with the final correct kit haha

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 07:04:12 »
I don’t know if the kits are set in stone yet, but is there a way to add 1u Alt and 1.5u Super to fit Mac layouts? Thanks