Author Topic: [IC] LEDs - 2x3x4mm and 1.8mm - GB is LIVE (Ends 6/30/17)  (Read 13844 times)

Offline cynviloq

[IC] LEDs - 2x3x4mm and 1.8mm - GB is LIVE (Ends 6/30/17)
« on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 00:57:56 »
GB link here: https://mehkee.com/collections/gb-led-and-sip-sockets
GB thread here:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90049.0

This is an interest check covering 2x3x4mm LEDs (rectangular) and 1.8mm LEDs (domed top).

IC form: closed!

MoQ per color is 3000 LEDs per color and prices reflect up to 10000 LEDs - if interest is larger than 10000 for a specific color, I will go back to the manufacturer to ask for discounted bulk pricing.

When entering your interest in the form, it would be very helpful to only select the size/color and quantities that you would have a strong likelihood of purchasing!

Pictures here (shape of 2x3x4mm and 1.8mm and sample colors as shown on a 2x3x4mm): http://imgur.com/a/kNj5f

2x3x4mm Color options (color wavelength if applicable) - price per LED:
  • Diffused White - $0.035
  • Warm White - $0.035
  • Blue (460-470nm) - $0.032
  • Yellow (585-595nm) -$0.035
  • Orange (600-610nm) - $0.036
  • Red (620-630nm) - $0.032
  • Purple (400-405nm) - $0.076
  • Green (520-530nm) - $0.035

1.8mm color options (color wavelength if applicable) - price per LED:
  • White - $0.035
  • Blue (460-470nm) - $0.032
  • Yellow (585-595nm) - $0.035
  • Orange (600-610nm) - $0.036
  • Red (620-630nm) -  $0.032
  • Purple (400-405nm) - $0.076
  • Green (520-530nm) - $0.035

I plan to keep this IC open for a couple weeks then proceed to GB with the colors that are near or close to MoQ. If there is not enough interest in either 2x3x4mm or 1.8mm LEDs, then we will close the Interest Check! If there is strong interest early on, we will close the IC early!

I think this IC is useful for those looking to load up on LEDs for all the builds coming out this year and obtain a variety of colors in both sizes at essentially direct from manufacturer prices. 1.8mm LEDs are also not the easiest LEDs to find in a wide variety of colors from trustworthy sellers.

I will try to update every few days or so with quantity indications.

Possible timeline: [see GB thread for latest]

Note that if this proceeds to Group Buy, the additional fees to consider are PayPal and shipping. I believe International shipping will be an option and LEDs should be able to fit in a padded mailer to minimize shipping costs for both domestic (U.S.) and international.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 June 2017, 21:38:15 by cynviloq »

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
Re: [IC] LEDs - 2x3x4mm and 1.8mm - LET THERE BE LIGHT
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 02:05:10 »
Interested in some purple LEDs because all the purple I can find on ebay are ultra violet 

Offline salinity

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 09:01:55 »
Interested in some purple LEDs because all the purple I can find on ebay are ultra violet
This has me on, too.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 10:31:36 »
PURPLE AND ORANGE 1.8! Count me in

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 10:37:43 »
I think you should detail how you plan to handle sorting and shipping these and if you have any major planned life changes coming up before you can fulfill a potential group buy.

Previous LED group buys have dragged on for months due to people changing jobs, moving, etc and/or simply went unfulfilled when the organizer couldn't deal with fulfillment or got overwhelmed sorting thousands of tiny LED's.

Also will there be any fall back plan if these come in from the manufacturer reflecting very different color characteristics then expected?

Offline Data

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 11:42:27 »
I prefer to order LEDs from a vendor directly, for the reasons Spamray mentioned.  But if you found a good supplier of purple then I may have to jump on this for 200-300 of those bad boys.

Who is the manufacturer?
What sort of guarantees or certifications do we have on the wavelength tolerance?

Offline Atredl

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 12:16:27 »
I'm in for 200 of each color in 1.8 mm once this runs. Also about 300 sip sockets.

Offline kolashnikov

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 15:42:43 »

400-405 nm is ultraviolet. If you're expecting something dramatically different than the ebay purples you mention, I fear you may be disappointed.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 16:04:21 »
I think you should detail how you plan to handle sorting and shipping these and if you have any major planned life changes coming up before you can fulfill a potential group buy.

Previous LED group buys have dragged on for months due to people changing jobs, moving, etc and/or simply went unfulfilled when the organizer couldn't deal with fulfillment or got overwhelmed sorting thousands of tiny LED's.

Also will there be any fall back plan if these come in from the manufacturer reflecting very different color characteristics then expected?

There are no anticipated issues and I'm not sure what there is to say - the order will be placed and sorted and shipped out to the GB participants based on how many they ordered and of each color. Sorting will either be in-house or at the production facility.

I do not expect this to be a very large GB (but even if so, would not anticipate significant issues in delivering) and have run GB with >1000 orders before. Additionally, I run an online store (www.mehkee.com) that has fulfilled hundreds of orders in the 7 weeks of its existence, including LEDs (disclosed in the Google form). If you have specific questions as to what my capabilities are, please feel free to ask them. I am not the same organizer as the previous LED GBs and once we have an indication of which LEDs will hit MoQ and at what quantities - we will attain a production timeline from the manufacturer. In the past, I have had runs of 25K-40K LEDs produced in under 4 weeks.

The colors are expected to be the same as shown in the imgur album - this is the same manufacturer of those LEDs shown. I would not expect deviations from what is shown in the album.

400-405 nm is ultraviolet. If you're expecting something dramatically different than the ebay purples you mention, I fear you may be disappointed.

Correct - the wavelength indicated is technically ultra violet - however I would refer to the picture in the album for the real life representation of the LED color.

I prefer to order LEDs from a vendor directly, for the reasons Spamray mentioned.  But if you found a good supplier of purple then I may have to jump on this for 200-300 of those bad boys.

Who is the manufacturer?
What sort of guarantees or certifications do we have on the wavelength tolerance?

Hi - this is the same manufacturer of the LEDs as the 2x3x4mm LEDs I sell on my website (www.mehkee.com). As mentioned above, the wavelength technically is ultraviolet. If you have a specific wavelength you are looking for, please PM me the range and I'll try to get a sample picture from the manufacturer. 

With respect to guarantee, the specs offered by the manufacturer are the ones we would expect them to produce. If the wavelength produced is unacceptable then we would ask for a refund or new production (though I would imagine the former occurring over the latter).

If you feel safer ordering from a vendor directly, please feel free to do so (though I don't understand the difference between a vendor and buying via a GB working with an LED manufacturer)! I am offering to run this because I have had many requests 1.8mm LEDs in a variety of colors, which I currently do not stock. This is a hobby and community that I enjoy working with, so I would like to run this to help people get a hold of LEDs prior to the onslaught of new builds coming out in the next several months.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 April 2017, 16:06:57 by cynviloq »

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 16:14:22 »
I've seen multiple requests for Cyan already in the notes - does anyone know the proper wavelength for cyan? The range of 490-520nm is a bit large and I'll ask the manufacturer on cost here, but we need to narrow down to a 10nm band. Is dead center 500-510nm the preferred cyan hue or on the higher/lower end?

Offline nugglets

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 16:39:29 »
I've seen multiple requests for Cyan already in the notes - does anyone know the proper wavelength for cyan? The range of 490-520nm is a bit large and I'll ask the manufacturer on cost here, but we need to narrow down to a 10nm band. Is dead center 500-510nm the preferred cyan hue or on the higher/lower end?

I've yet to see a proper Cyan LED. They are either very light blue (my preference) or light green (doesn't at all pair with true cyan keys/boards).

These "Sky Blue" are 465-467.5nm according to the manufacturer

These "Cyan" are 495-500nm according to the manufacturer

Not my photos, but having had both LEDs personally they are fairly accurate color representations.

So I would say somewhere in the 485 range based on those examples, but it seems to be a hard thing to properly accomplish.

That said, if you could get a true Cyan LED I would likely buy a thousand or so.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 April 2017, 16:52:56 by nugglets »

Offline Atredl

[IC] LEDs - 2x3x4mm and 1.8mm - LET THERE BE LIGHT
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 20:23:07 »
I'm just putting it out there but I'm willing to buy up to 300 cyan LED's to help it reach moq. Maybe 400 depending on the price. With Nugglets and me, that's almost half-way there :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 April 2017, 20:25:02 by Atredl »

Offline Tally810

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 02:22:27 »
If cyan is coming I'll change the mix I ordered to about 500 cyan tbh

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline Shados

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 21:47:18 »
1.8mm LEDs in a range of colours at reasonable prices?! I am most definitely interested.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 09:39:40 »
Thanks nugglets - that's incredibly helpful and I'm reaching out to the manufacturer to see which ranges they offer.

I'm just putting it out there but I'm willing to buy up to 300 cyan LED's to help it reach moq. Maybe 400 depending on the price. With Nugglets and me, that's almost half-way there :thumb:

Atredl and Tally810 - which cyan are you more interested in, closer to green or blue spectrum?

Also the manufacturer indicated the ability to produce 510-515nm Cyan which is closer to the green spectrum - am inquiring about other spectrum.

Currently there seems to be far less interest in 2x3x4mm so we may cut that out of the GB. For 1.8mm, we have an indication of ~8,000 LEDs across various colors, I do not minding fronting to hit MoQ on colors that are at least halfway there.

Thanks for the responses so far!
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 April 2017, 12:20:41 by cynviloq »

Offline Atredl

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 15:19:10 »
Thanks nugglets - that's incredibly helpful and I'm reaching out to the manufacturer to see which ranges they offer.

Atredl and Tally810 - which cyan are you more interested in, closer to green or blue spectrum?

Also the manufacturer indicated the ability to produce 510-515nm Cyan which is closer to the green spectrum - am inquiring about other spectrum.

Currently there seems to be far less interest in 2x3x4mm so we may cut that out of the GB. For 1.8mm, we have an indication of ~8,000 LEDs across various colors, I do not minding fronting to hit MoQ on colors that are at least halfway there.

I'm more interested in a color closer to the blue spectrum but not quite sky blue.

I have some cyan 2x3x4 LEDs coming in but I would really like 1.8mm to avoid clearance issues. Obviously I have yet to see how these turn out but I hear that they are closer to green than blue.

These are the ones I bought:
http://www.dhgate.com/product/wholesale-high-quality-100pcs-2x3x4-rectangular/242833479.html

Offline nugglets

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 15:42:42 »

I'm more interested in a color closer to the blue spectrum but not quite sky blue.

I have some cyan 2x3x4 LEDs coming in but I would really like 1.8mm to avoid clearance issues. Obviously I have yet to see how these turn out but I hear that they are closer to green than blue.

http://www.dhgate.com/product/wholesale-high-quality-100pcs-2x3x4-rectangular/242833479.html

Those are the same ones I posted above, and the same ones I've ordered in the past. They are definitely very green.

Which is a shame, because I love all of the other LEDs made by Ovtai. They are excellent.

Offline Atredl

[IC] LEDs - 2x3x4mm and 1.8mm - LET THERE BE LIGHT
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 21:36:46 »

Those are the same ones I posted above, and the same ones I've ordered in the past. They are definitely very green.

Which is a shame, because I love all of the other LEDs made by Ovtai. They are excellent.

Good to know but that is a bit of a shame. At least I have some green LEDs if I ever need them lol

Let's hope we can get some good Cyan LED's from this GB
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 April 2017, 21:39:01 by Atredl »

Offline Vloshko

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 03:25:06 »
Oh yes, the purple
Keycap Compendium

Discord: Vloshko#1327

Key Cap Wishlist

2019: Configure Optimal Audio Settings

HHKB Pro 2, Model M, Unicorn X Legend, ESPECTRO 96, SaiB CP, E8-V1.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 14:03:41 »
Update on counts:

2x3x4mm   Total
Diffused White   800
Warm White   800
Purple   1400
Green   700
Blue   1000
Yellow   200
Orange   700
Red   1000

1.8mm   Total
White   2800
Purple   2600
Green   1400
Blue   2000
Yellow   1000
Orange   1500
Red   1600

The manufacturer only has 510-515nm Cyan, they said they don't have the chip for 500-510nm or lower. So it would be greenish hue which does not seem to interest people. With respect to Sky Blue, I would need to order a sample run and test it out.

It looks like we could move forward with most colors of 1.8mm, but would like to keep this open to get better numbers since you can usually discount indicated numbers by 30-40% in actual orders. I think we'll stick pretty close to the original indicated leaving the IC open until second week of May.

Offline nugglets

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 14:21:27 »
Unfortunate about the cyan, but if there's a chance at 1.8mm sky blue I would order quite a few of those as well. At least 500.

I currently use the 2x3x4mm and either place them inside switches or sand them down to avoid clearance issues with Cherry profile sets, so 1.8mm would make my life so much easier.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 14:37:54 »
Unfortunate about the cyan, but if there's a chance at 1.8mm sky blue I would order quite a few of those as well. At least 500.

I currently use the 2x3x4mm and either place them inside switches or sand them down to avoid clearance issues with Cherry profile sets, so 1.8mm would make my life so much easier.

That's unfortunate and I wish I had the right reference spectrum - I know your picture noted 465-467.5, however in my album the LED is produced to 460-470nm and shows a rich true blue (which is more accurate based on the technical wavelength spectrum), so I'm not sure but I do think a sky blue should be on the higher end closer to 480-490nm.

Offline nugglets

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 15:18:39 »

That's unfortunate and I wish I had the right reference spectrum - I know your picture noted 465-467.5, however in my album the LED is produced to 460-470nm and shows a rich true blue (which is more accurate based on the technical wavelength spectrum), so I'm not sure but I do think a sky blue should be on the higher end closer to 480-490nm.

Ya, I've always been skeptical of the wavelength listed on the labels for these sky blue but that's the only information I have to go on. I suppose one could try contacting Ovtai and asking them directly, but oddly enough it is the only 2x3x4mm LED they sell which does not have the wavelength listed on the taobao page.

Their "regular" blue is also listed as 460-470, fwiw.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 15:46:36 »

Ditto about sky blue. I would order those since cyan isn't possible atm.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 20:10:37 »

Sorry for the late reply but I would say the greener on would suit me better.  Thanks for this btw!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 22:11:44 »
I'm interested in the 1.8mm LEDs (after the dismal last GB that never delivered - I still wonder what he did with tens of thousands of LEDs).

If one colour does not meet MOQ, will the other colours proceed?  Or do you need to order all colours at once?

Also any rough idea about postage to Australia?

The LED price is good, especially for 1.8mm, but excessive postage might push it over what I could probably get them from China for, as most Chinese sellers seem to be able to do free shipping.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 09:07:57 »
I'm interested in the 1.8mm LEDs (after the dismal last GB that never delivered - I still wonder what he did with tens of thousands of LEDs).

If one colour does not meet MOQ, will the other colours proceed?  Or do you need to order all colours at once?

The LED price is good, especially for 1.8mm, but excessive postage might push it over what I could probably get them from China for, as most Chinese sellers seem to be able to do free shipping.

Yes, the intention is to move forward colors that hit MoQ or are close to hitting MoQ - not all colors need to be ordered at once. For instance, we may not move forward all colors of 2x3x4mm.

Unfortunately I cannot offer free shipping, however I can likely ship under 800 LEDs internationally for ~$8 USD. I hope that isn't a prohibitive number.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 14:27:47 »
Why is this so expensive? other places sell leds around $.10-.20 per led, whats special about these leds?

Offline laughatpain

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 14:38:29 »
Why is this so expensive? other places sell leds around $.10-.20 per led, whats special about these leds?
Take a look at the decimal places again mate

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 14:59:28 »

I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, thanks mate maybe i'm blind

P/S Does it has to go by 50-100 or it can be as many as I want?
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 April 2017, 15:07:13 by BlackInk »

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 18:40:08 »

I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, thanks mate maybe i'm blind

P/S Does it has to go by 50-100 or it can be as many as I want?

In the GB, I think it'll be okay to have any number. I'm just taking an estimate to see if we can hit MOQ for now!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 21:55:41 »

Yes, the intention is to move forward colors that hit MoQ or are close to hitting MoQ - not all colors need to be ordered at once. For instance, we may not move forward all colors of 2x3x4mm.

Unfortunately I cannot offer free shipping, however I can likely ship under 800 LEDs internationally for ~$8 USD. I hope that isn't a prohibitive number.

Not expecting free shipping at all! :D

However ordering just a few colours (that meet MOQ) at a time would imply that we would have to pay shipping multiple times, right?

Or could we wait until all colours that are going to be ordered have been ordered, and do one big ship at the end?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 22:21:37 »

However ordering just a few colours (that meet MOQ) at a time would imply that we would have to pay shipping multiple times, right?

Or could we wait until all colours that are going to be ordered have been ordered, and do one big ship at the end?

There will only be one shipping fee per order. Once the GB ends, production of all LEDs will happen at once, be shipped to me. I'll divide them out into the respective orders and ship together!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 22:37:33 »

There will only be one shipping fee per order. Once the GB ends, production of all LEDs will happen at once, be shipped to me. I'll divide them out into the respective orders and ship together!

Great, thanks!  And thanks for the quick reply :)

Form submitted.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 21:55:10 »
Interest seems to have waned - or maybe people have too many LEDs already!

You can't have too many ;)

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 22:03:00 »
Interest seems to have waned - or maybe people have too many LEDs already!

You can't have too many ;)

I think there might be a few more that are just waiting for the GB to actually launch so there's a concrete timeline!

I would plan to still launch this end of next week from a timing perspective.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 23:23:41 »
Any word on if sky blue is an option?

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 03:30:55 »
Still interested in more leds!!

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 13:14:53 »
Sorry all - didn't forget about this, just wrapped up another GB before committing to this one. We'll get it going this week - still working on trying to get sample color pictures for a sky blue / cyan!

Offline Robotical

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 13:20:50 »
Sorry all - didn't forget about this, just wrapped up another GB before committing to this one. We'll get it going this week - still working on trying to get sample color pictures for a sky blue / cyan!

Awesome. Glad to hear this is still alive.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 00:50:44 »
No chance for a lime green/yellow green?
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 09:03:59 »
No chance for a lime green/yellow green?

Do you have a wave spectrum of what you're thinking of? I don't think so given no one else has expressed interest but I'll see if the manufacturer even has the chip for it.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 10:13:29 »
I think around 560? Not too sure just guessing based on Google, new to leds and soldering and such.
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 09:25:13 »
I think around 560? Not too sure just guessing based on Google, new to leds and soldering and such.

Hmm okay will look into it but probably not a part of this GB.

Also, I've received feedback that they can in fact produce Cyan 470-475nm (with greenish hue), however they do not have the Sky Blue (480-485nm) chip for production at the moment so we will be unable to offer that color.

I'll write up the GB thread tonight and submit for approval!

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 13:30:17 »
What is the benefit of the 1.8mm domed LEd vs. the 2x3x4mm ones?

I guess the 1.8mm ones I've seen in the past have a fully round body where as these look like they have just the domed top sitting on top of the square body. The fully domed body fits into the notch in cherry switches so I'm curious as to what the advantage is to domed top with square bottoms...Is it to put them inside the switch housing?

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 14:26:58 »
What is the benefit of the 1.8mm domed LEd vs. the 2x3x4mm ones?

I guess the 1.8mm ones I've seen in the past have a fully round body where as these look like they have just the domed top sitting on top of the square body. The fully domed body fits into the notch in cherry switches so I'm curious as to what the advantage is to domed top with square bottoms...Is it to put them inside the switch housing?

Some people still have issues with the LED rubbing against 2x3x4mm with Cherry profile.

This style of the 1.8mm has no reported issues with any keycap profile.

Some like 2x3x4mm because of the brightness relative to 1.8mm (slight difference in terms of output).

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 13:35:56 »
Sorry all - waffled a bit on how to run this GB (either through the site or via Google Forms), but we'll do it on the site.

Just finalizing the price of Cyan (should be in between normal and Purple) with the manufacturer and then will submit the GB thread.

Some notes:
  • All colors will be run for 1.8mm, only whites/blue for 2x3x4mm
  • You will have the option to buy in multiples of 100
  • Long leg SIP sockets will be offered alongside the LEDs in multiples of 200
  • Cyan is happening  :p
  • 1.8mm will have the option of Diffused White and Warm White instead of just White
  • Current conservative timeline has the LEDs shipping to you first week of August, there is some leeway there to get it done mid-to-late July
  • I will be messaging everyone who filled out the IC form to let them know when the GB is live

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 14:49:26 »
And last update before the Group Buy launches (sorry for the delays) this week:

Cyan sample turned out to be closer to Sky Blue (470-475nm, see attached), so good news for Sky Blue lovers, not so great news for anyone who wanted a greenish hue.

Finishing the set up of the page for ordering on the site as we speak. Thanks for everyone's patience (hope there's still interest as it seems I'm talking to myself, but also mea culpa for the slow start to the thread).

We'll take orders for about 3 weeks before submitting production numbers to the manufacturer.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 14:54:57 »
I'll still be in whenever it starts. Good price on LEDs and sip sockets
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 June 2017, 21:42:54 by ChitownM2 »

Offline nugglets

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 15:17:47 »
And last update before the Group Buy launches (sorry for the delays) this week:

Cyan sample turned out to be closer to Sky Blue (470-475nm, see attached), so good news for Sky Blue lovers, not so great news for anyone who wanted a greenish hue.

Show Image

Finishing the set up of the page for ordering on the site as we speak. Thanks for everyone's patience (hope there's still interest as it seems I'm talking to myself, but also mea culpa for the slow start to the thread).

We'll take orders for about 3 weeks before submitting production numbers to the manufacturer.

Oooo, that looks nice. Those are 1.8mm? And what would the per unit price be on them?

I'm definitely in.