Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2338328 times)

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1950 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 18:42:19 »
Keys:  Now is the time to suggest additional printed miscellaneous keys to be made available!  There will be one "layout" made of miscellaneous keys, many of which were posted previously.

Dye sub testing update:  I did some quick tests but determined I needed to replace some parts and order some additional parts for the jig before properly starting the key dye sublimation tests.  Will continue testing once these parts arrive.

Assembly phase update:  The factory expects to send assembled spring/flipper samples this week or next week, and hopefully a few completed fully assembled keyboards with unprinted keys (following the keyboard assembly manual I sent them).  Once these assemblies are approved, the factory will start mass assembly and ship about 500 units at a time to me.  I am hoping the first 500 can be ready to ship to me by the end of next month.  Then it will be 3-4 weeks on a container ship.  If all goes well then May-June will possibly see the first shipping units. 

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1951 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 20:02:26 »
Thanks for the update

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1952 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 21:04:59 »
Update from the factory:  the factory has made good progress on the assembly preparation. 

They are fully assembling 1 of each keyboard (the 4 keyboard variations compact F62, classic F62, compact F77, classic F77) as a test, along with sending me the spring samples from the newly built attacher machines.

The other good news is that the factory is designing and adapting machines to do most of the assembly work!  We are expecting pick and place for the inner foam, barrels to the top inner assembly, flippers/springs, etc.  This should rapidly speed up assembly time compared to what would have been assembly by hand. 

I have asked for some videos of the semi-automated assembly process in action but here are some prototype shots of one of the assembly machines (not sure which process step). 

214630-1
214632-2

Offline Kavik

« Reply #1953 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 11:59:06 »
Update from the factory:  the factory has made good progress on the assembly preparation. 

They are fully assembling 1 of each keyboard (the 4 keyboard variations compact F62, classic F62, compact F77, classic F77) as a test, along with sending me the spring samples from the newly built attacher machines.

The other good news is that the factory is designing and adapting machines to do most of the assembly work!  We are expecting pick and place for the inner foam, barrels to the top inner assembly, flippers/springs, etc.  This should rapidly speed up assembly time compared to what would have been assembly by hand. 

I have asked for some videos of the semi-automated assembly process in action but here are some prototype shots of one of the assembly machines (not sure which process step). 
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing so much about the manufacturing process; it's very interesting stuff. It feels as if the finish line is finally in sight.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1954 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 16:42:03 »
Hey Ellipse is a FJ-HUNT kit an option to have custom printed?

F+J (no homing bump) H+U+N+T (with homing bump), for colemak and dvorak, or at the very least is it possible for F+J to be printed without homing.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1955 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 16:43:48 »
Yes glod those extra keys are available.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1956 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 21:47:28 »
Factory update - new video from the current assembly phase of the project!

We now have video of the custom Bottom Inner Assembly machine!  Here is a video of the machine that properly assembles the bottom inner assembly (F62 ultra compact specifically in this video).

Very cool to watch this in action! 

Still waiting on the assembled spring/flipper and keyboard production samples before mass assembly is approved to start.  They should go out in the coming days.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1957 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 16:03:18 »
I’ve never owned a model F.  Is the bottom assembly just pressure fitted?  Only familiar with model m rivet system.

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #1958 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 16:20:03 »
I’ve never owned a model F.  Is the bottom assembly just pressure fitted?  Only familiar with model m rivet system.
yup - exactly as shown in vid
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1959 on: Sat, 16 March 2019, 20:18:22 »
The factory has completed the samples and they are in the mail!

If the assembled samples meet my standards then mass assembly of Brand New Model F Keyboards will start!

They have also completed another pneumatic spring attacher machine:
215466-0

Offline ro0llo

« Reply #1960 on: Sun, 17 March 2019, 14:32:42 »
i love how you frequently you post updates. will the samples be sold as well or theyre just yours to keep as trophees :D?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1961 on: Sun, 17 March 2019, 15:01:09 »
Thanks and yes the samples will eventually be available at higher cost to help cover project cost overruns.  You can even get the original CNC milled Model F prototypes from a few years back, along with other individual parts.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1962 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 11:32:24 »
Just read the update on your website, can't believe you're in the final stretch of this project, I can't wait! :D

Offline APL4

« Reply #1963 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 12:02:45 »
Would it be possible to front print F1-F12 on an APL (Dyalog blue) keyset?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1964 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 17:45:10 »
I can front print F1-F12 only on the number row keys of any of the offered layouts (US, UK, Spanish, French, German, Nordic, etc.) in any available color (pearl/pebble/blue/dark gray).  Sorry I do not offer APL or other custom legends or custom front printing.

Offline keysRus

« Reply #1965 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 22:49:32 »
Just checked out the website, just checking this is a projecg I can still get in on?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1966 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 22:52:20 »
I can front print F1-F12 only on the number row keys of any of the offered layouts (US, UK, Spanish, French, German, Nordic, etc.) in any available color (pearl/pebble/blue/dark gray).  Sorry I do not offer APL or other custom legends or custom front printing.

Ellipse, I know you're busy, is there a place where we can confirm our shipping address on our original order or something? Ty

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1967 on: Thu, 21 March 2019, 07:05:28 »
Yes keysRus you can still place an order!

digi, the billing and shipping addresses should be in the order confirmation email.  Feel free to message me if your address has changed and I will note the update.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1968 on: Sun, 24 March 2019, 23:05:55 »
Major Project Milestone - Full Assembly Stage Begins!

After evaluating the latest samples, today I approved full assembly of the Brand New Model F Keyboards!  It took a lot more time than expected (!) but I think the current quality of the keyboards has made it well worth ironing out the QC issues.

The plan is for the factory to assemble as many keyboards as possible and ship them at the end of April, with additional batches every month or so.  This way, orders can start going out as soon as June.

On the dye sublimation front, I am waiting on some additional replacement parts for the setup before I can continue with the dye sublimation testing.  Two more parts require a custom-built solution different from my current setup.  Both parts will be ordered in the US to save time.  Should be a few more weeks until they are finished and in hand.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #1969 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 01:53:48 »
Major Project Milestone - Full Assembly Stage Begins!

After evaluating the latest samples, today I approved full assembly of the Brand New Model F Keyboards!  It took a lot more time than expected (!) but I think the current quality of the keyboards has made it well worth ironing out the QC issues.

The plan is for the factory to assemble as many keyboards as possible and ship them at the end of April, with additional batches every month or so.  This way, orders can start going out as soon as June.

On the dye sublimation front, I am waiting on some additional replacement parts for the setup before I can continue with the dye sublimation testing.  Two more parts require a custom-built solution different from my current setup.  Both parts will be ordered in the US to save time.  Should be a few more weeks until they are finished and in hand.
Congratulations!

Beyond excited for this to finally begin (and close in on the finish). I wish these manufacturing teams all the best! Can't wait to see what results from the past few years' efforts.

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #1970 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 01:54:37 »
Now THIS is good news!
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline ro0llo

« Reply #1971 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 12:23:21 »
congratz! Pics:)?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1972 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 17:16:48 »
Thanks all!

Feel free to see assembly photos in recent posts - including the machine that closes the Model F inner assembly.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1973 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 18:54:16 »
Keycaps can still be ordered and added on to existing orders for the time being, but please try to get these in as soon as possible.

Regarding the expectations for whether your order goes out in the first batch, it depends on how many keyboards the factory finishes by the April 30th deadline for the first shipment and how many people order "skip the line"/low/custom serial keyboards from now until then (so far ~162 low serials). 

Keyboards can still be upgraded to low serial if you want to skip the line.

To help with everyone's estimations, below is an approximation of the number of keyboards ordered each month through the end of last month - please note that ~162 of these will be prioritized with the first shipment out. 

The intention is to ship as closely as possible by order date, earliest first, but with the low serial supporters sent out first.

If they finish 400-500 (maybe too ambitious an estimate!), maybe all the low serials and most of 2016 will finally go out in the April shipment.

2016   369
Jan   77
Feb   87
Mar   17
Apr   9
May   13
Jun   44
Jul   20
Aug   21
Sep   7
Oct   31
Nov   29
Dec   14
2017   608
Jan   34
Feb   22
Mar   18
Apr   29
May   45
Jun   51
Jul   207
Aug   58
Sep   26
Oct   44
Nov   42
Dec   32
2018   508
Jan   35
Feb   42
Mar   50
Apr   43
May   37
Jun   52
Jul   43
Aug   45
Sep   53
Oct   42
Nov   39
Dec   27
2019   68
Jan   36
Feb   23

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada
« Reply #1974 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 23:50:00 »
redacted
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 November 2019, 23:53:35 by iamacicada »

Offline DZed

« Reply #1975 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 13:36:20 »
Here is the current state of the extra keys sets. I think we have managed to include every cap request and even complete Ortholinear and Ergodox support! Comments, questions, complaints and any last minute additions are welcome.

And a reference pic to show what the missing icons and terminal keys will look like.

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/DSC_6470.jpg

Note: Home and End arrow icons will be like the front print on the 'Rule' key and it's kind of hard to see but the Solenoid volume icon is on the front of the PF24 key (very similar to that used on Beamsprings).

I also worked up some extra keys for the SSK Num Pad set for those who may wish to use both the front print F row and num pad legends.

216194-0

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

216198-2

Edit: Added comma options to number pad sets.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2019, 15:00:00 by DZed »

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #1976 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 14:23:58 »
Checked my email inbox and found receipt from Jan 27 2016. Time flies by. With Ellipse's attention to details, I'm sure the final result will be well worth the wait.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1977 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 15:01:26 »
Hey Ellipse, looks like I ordered Jan 2017 but the shipping address is my old one from back when. I'm right in the middle of moving, when would be the cut off to change my shipping address?
TGR Jane CE|FC660C|Orion V2
GMK Hyperfuse|GMK Olivetti|GMK Red Alert|Soulfree's Teal|GMK Cyan

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1978 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 18:01:58 »
aznair feel free to PM me your updated address and I will update the database.  2017 orders will not likely be in the first batch expected to arrive in June.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #1979 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 23:05:53 »
If we ordered a low serial number, how do we know what number we ended up with?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1980 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 15:12:55 »
mac, the low serial allocations will be finalized when the keyboards are sent out.

Offline Pete

« Reply #1981 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 17:21:15 »
Ellipse, if a couple of keyboards and other items were ordered at various times, will they be consolidated into one shipment or sent separately?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1982 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 18:52:31 »
Pete, the plan is to consolidate all orders from one person and ship them together, treated as if all orders were made on the date of your earliest order.  So if you order a second keyboard this month and one last year, both keyboards will be in the 2018 queue.

Offline Cods

• Penumbra SA Mark II please?
« Reply #1983 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 23:36:51 »
Pete, the plan is to consolidate all orders from one person and ship them together, treated as if all orders were made on the date of your earliest order.  So if you order a second keyboard this month and one last year, both keyboards will be in the 2018 queue.

...and damnit, that level of forethought and consideration has tipped me over the edge into adding an additional F62 to my 2016 earlybird order.

Ellipse, prepare for a request for an extra keyboard plus a bunch of keys from me!
Model M Industrial, SSK, Unicomp 104, Code TKL MX Green, FC660M MX Green + Clear + White + Grey, FC660C Topre 45g, MagicForce 68 USB and Bluetooth, Whitefox, some optical switch 65% Bluetooth split spacebar thing ... wait, I think I need an intervention. Too late, there’s a couple of new Model Fs on the way.
Too much SA is never enough.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1984 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 23:44:45 »

that's the smart way to do it, nice
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Molehasmoles

« Reply #1985 on: Sat, 30 March 2019, 02:45:16 »
Hello, recently found this. Cool stuff. I got a question, when you wanna order an international layout it says to specify the layout on the checkout page. Where on the checkout page do you do that? ty

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1986 on: Sat, 30 March 2019, 08:49:28 »
As we wrap things up now is the time to decide on the smaller aspects.  Here is a printer font sheet from the dot matrix printer (for the packing slips).  Please let me know which font you think would be best.

Looks like the current international layouts people asked for are UK, Danish, Swedish/Finnish, Norwegian, French, German, and 3 people asked for Swiss French, Swiss German, or Latin American Spanish (one each).  Hoping for all but not sure if the final three will be made.

Mole, please feel free to note it on the product page, notes text box, or in the order notes text box during checkout.

216304-0

Offline darkcruix

« Reply #1987 on: Sat, 30 March 2019, 08:55:27 »
HSD 10cpi :)

Offline tron

« Reply #1989 on: Sat, 30 March 2019, 11:15:56 »
I like Utility 10cpi and HSD 10cpi. I do think HSD 10cpi is more authentic, however, IMO the Utility 10cpi is a bit more legible while still looking retro(lets be honest, some of those old dot matrix prints look pretty bad). Both are great options IMO.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #1990 on: Sat, 30 March 2019, 21:48:15 »
Utility 10CPI  :thumb:

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #1991 on: Sun, 31 March 2019, 04:53:37 »
wingdings

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #1992 on: Sun, 31 March 2019, 20:13:38 »
HSD 10cpi

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1993 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 22:33:35 »
Here is a new video of the spring-flipper attachment machine in action!

Mass assembly continues this month.

Offline tectonicplate

« Reply #1994 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 23:09:07 »
NLQ 10cpi

Offline TestostoBoost

« Reply #1995 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 07:01:14 »
HSD 10cpi

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1996 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 19:37:59 »
Here is an update on the languages/layouts requested for the 1,595 keyboards ordered so far (5 away from 1,600!).  Some of the less common sets will be provided by Unicomp most likely. 

If you'd like to switch your layout please let me know over email/PM.

If you'd like to review the expected specifics of your key set please see this page on Unicomp's web site:  https://support.pckeyboard.com/knowledgebase.php?category=2

Regular printed key set (US/ANSI layout)   1174
Black unprinted keys   132
Regular color blank keys (no lettering/legends)   113
Use your own keys   43
Custom/TBD   8

International Layouts:   
UK   45
Swedish-Finnish   26
German   17
Norwegian   10
French   6
Swiss German   3
Latin American Spanish   3
JIS (Unicomp)   2
Danish   2
APL Keys (Unicomp)   2
Spanish   1
Turkish-Q   1
Hebrew English   1
Russian   1
Korean   1
Swiss   1
Dutch   1
Brazilian ABNT   1
Arabic   1
Grand Total   1595

Offline andy74

« Reply #1997 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 01:39:43 »
Just found out about this project. Reviving the model F is fantastic.

Had to order a F77 :). Good thing I didn't miss out.

Andy

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1998 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 03:15:35 »
Here is an update on the languages/layouts requested for the 1,595 keyboards ordered so far (5 away from 1,600!).  Some of the less common sets will be provided by Unicomp most likely. 

If you'd like to review the expected specifics of your key set please see this page on Unicomp's web site:  https://support.pckeyboard.com/knowledgebase.php?category=2

Regular printed key set (US/ANSI layout)   1174
Black unprinted keys   132
Regular color blank keys (no lettering/legends)   113
Use your own keys   43
Custom/TBD   8

International Layouts:   
UK   45
Swedish-Finnish   26
German   17
Norwegian   10
French   6
Swiss German   3
Latin American Spanish   3
JIS (Unicomp)   2
Danish   2
APL Keys (Unicomp)   2
Spanish   1
Turkish-Q   1
Hebrew English   1
Russian   1
Korean   1
Swiss   1
Dutch   1
Brazilian ABNT   1
Arabic   1
Grand Total   1595

for anyone keeping count, that's about 5% non-ANSI (my count is 123ish/1595, i'm not so sharp at 4 AM), which is what everyone says the market share is

ISO loses again

EDIT: someone with better math skills than me has told me that it's closer to 8% which is actually slightly higher so my ****post isn't as good now
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 April 2019, 03:23:51 by Puddsy »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

« Reply #1999 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 03:54:13 »

Regular printed key set (US/ANSI layout)1174
Black unprinted keys132
Regular color blank keys (no lettering/legends)113
Use your own keys43
Custom/TBD8

International Layouts:
UK45
Swedish-Finnish26
German17
Norwegian10
French6
Swiss German3
Latin American Spanish3
JIS (Unicomp)2
Danish2
APL Keys (Unicomp)2
Spanish1
Turkish-Q1
Hebrew English1
Russian1
Korean1
Swiss1
Dutch1
Brazilian ABNT1
Arabic1
Grand Total1595

for anyone keeping count, that's about 5% non-ANSI (my count is 123ish/1595, i'm not so sharp at 4 AM), which is what everyone says the market share is

ISO loses again

EDIT: someone with better math skills than me has told me that it's closer to 8% which is actually slightly higher so my ****post isn't as good now
It's still laughably small