Author Topic: [GB] Modern Dasher D60 (firmware is updated)  (Read 70990 times)

Offline mxgian99

Re: [GB] Modern Dasher D60 (CNC finished on 12/10)
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 09:22:56 »
ah, i just started looking for this as well,i have a few questions.

is this board added to QMK yet?  i do not see it in the repository

what is the threading for the standoffs?  from the early exp. i would like to chase the threads before trying to mount the standoffs

what is the part number (or a link) to purchase extra daughterboards for the usb-c connections?  i would like extras and to make mini usb and usb-c breakouts

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #151 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 09:30:24 »
My TR60w PCB came with no firmware installed on it. I tried the standoffs, which I bought for my other top but couldn't screw them on the bottom. I think I'll buy another plate and TR60w PCB because I don't think the standoffs are usable. The better option will be to custom made a new top mounting plate?

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #152 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 09:33:26 »
My TR60w PCB came with no firmware installed on it. I tried the standoffs, which I bought for my other top but couldn't screw them on the bottom. I think I'll buy another plate and TR60w PCB because I don't think the standoffs are usable. The better option will be to custom made a new top mounting plate?

i think first step would be to try and chase or re-thread the case before trying to install the standoffs.  hopefully its just debris in the threads. 

yes, my PCB also has nothing on it, at least QMK detects it as a DFU device but i do not see it in the QMK repository or in the QMK configurator, so i don't think we can program it.  hopefully triangle lab will post the code or a built hex we can use for now.

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 11:52:01 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

The quality of the product is very low.
It is too fragile and easily breakable.
Stand-bolts break even I didn't put much strength on them to screw.
I don't know what to do with them any more...
I wonder if there is a discord for D60.
If anyone knows the address, please please let me know!!!!

send me a PM.
I can help you with your case.

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 11:52:24 »
Any TR60w PCB firmware files, please?

Attached in OP.

Offline beekey

« Reply #155 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 12:33:14 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This looks exactly like my case. I have two working stand-offs in total. Both on the right side.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 January 2019, 13:31:32 by beekey »

Offline TheMastermind

« Reply #156 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 13:58:49 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This looks exactly like my case. I have two working stand-offs in total. Both on the right side.
Same as well. I am getting a bit worried as I don't really know what to do and don't want to damage any more screws/standoffs.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: [GB] Modern Dasher D60
« Reply #157 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 14:17:18 »
did anyone try cleaning out the threads?  I've seen this on other builds.  Standoff quality is part of it, but if the holes are filled with sandblast material, you need to get them clean.

Offline TheMastermind

« Reply #158 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 14:18:32 »
did anyone try cleaning out the threads?  I've seen this on other builds.  Standoff quality is part of it, but if the holes are filled with sandblast material, you need to get them clean.

How would we clean it out?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 14:22:01 »

Soak the holes with warm water and soap.  I would try using a wire or nylon brush (tube brush) carefully.  Gently scrape out.  Probably could even try with a toothpick.  I don't know the exact details, but Xondat's 268 board had the same issues with case screw holes and sheared off screws.  Some people cleaned them out, some re-tapped.

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 18:54:27 »
Can you please include the keymap file (json) too so we can change the key mapping and compile our own hex files? It's even better if you give us a link to the source too. Is the "Fn" key programmed? Mine doesn't work.

Offline TheMastermind

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 18:55:20 »

Soak the holes with warm water and soap.  I would try using a wire or nylon brush (tube brush) carefully.  Gently scrape out.  Probably could even try with a toothpick.  I don't know the exact details, but Xondat's 268 board had the same issues with case screw holes and sheared off screws.  Some people cleaned them out, some re-tapped.
So far I've been able to clean out 2 additional screw holes by just slowly threading a loose m2 screw, stopping just before it tightens up, and taking it out again to pick at with a pair of tweezers. However my middle screw hole has a clot of some kind of metal in it stopping anything from going in at all. For now I'm just going to use 3 standoffs.

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 22:16:16 »
IMO the board looks amazing. It's everything I hoped for. The devil though is in the detail. I think Ramiel release it sooner than he had to. This is my build - TR60w PCB and an HHKB top. I decided not to use standoffs. I tried but the threads are too dirty I might try to clean them later. I also screwed up the breakout USB board and had to improvise :). My suggestion is to use longer wires. It is to difficult to assemble with what we've got. I will probably buy another PCB and plate to avoid the standoffs issues. My major problem is programming the PCB. I used the hex file provided in the OP but I'm missing arrows and all the navigation keys? It'll be great to have the source so we can change the key mapping and compile our own hex files. I'm sure Ramiel will provide the link once the Trianglelab pushes the codes to GitHub.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 22:21:26 »
IMO the board looks amazing. It's everything I hoped.  This is my build - TR60w PCB and an HHKB top. I decided not to use standoffs. I tried but the threads are too dirty I might try to clean them later. I also screwed up the breakout USB board and had to improvise :). My suggestion is to use longer wires. It is to difficult to assemble with what we've got. I will probably buy another PCB and plate to avoid the standoffs issues. My major problem is programming the PCB. I used the hex file provided in the OP but I'm missing arrows and all the navigation keys? It'll be great to have the source so we can change the key mapping and compile our own hex files. I'm sure Ramiel will provide the link once the Trianglelab pushes the codes to GitHub.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

looks spiffy, man. 

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 23:21:15 »
i put in some time with mine as well.  would concur that a few details could be better, but the hex file flashed no problem, the pigtail soldering was tedious, but i got it done (free tip, when you connect the pigtail to the pcb to test, make sure to push until it clicks, if you dont the board will still recognize but none of the keys will work, took me a bit to figure that out. 

will prolly get to installing switches and caps tomorrow, i dont have a perfect set of dasher (well for me dancer) caps as i'm missing some of the special size keys, but as fate/luck would have it i grabbed those missing keys in the last massdrop recap sale this past weekend, so i guess it was meant to be!

i will add that i appreciate the follow-up from Ramiel, wrt to the additional info and getting the files posted so fast.  a lot of moving parts with a GB like this, and for the most part the GB has run smooth
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 January 2019, 23:31:26 by mxgian99 »

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 23:26:25 »
i put in some time with mine as well.  would concur that a few details could be better, but the hex file flashed no problem, the pigtail soldering was tedious, but i got it done (free tip, when you connect the pigtail to the pcb to test, make sure to push until it clicks, if you dont the board will still recognize but none of the keys will work, took me a bit to figure that out. 

will prolly get to installing switches and caps tomorrow, i dont have a perfect set of dasher (well for me dancer) caps as i'm missing some of the special size keys, but as fate/luck would have it i grabbed those missing keys in the last massdrop recap sale this past weekend, so i guess it was meant to be!

Do you have a working FN key? Where are the arrows etc.?

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 23:29:53 »
i dont have switches in mine yet, and mine is the Winkey version, but when i manually tested the pads, the only pad that didnt register was the key to the right of the right shift (what you have as FN on your board).  did you try that key with WASD?  otherwise i have no clue we'll have to wait for the map from Ramiel or the code to posted to QMK so we can build our own.

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 23:37:49 »
i dont have switches in mine yet, and mine is the Winkey version, but when i manually tested the pads, the only pad that didnt register was the key to the right of the right shift (what you have as FN on your board).  did you try that key with WASD?  otherwise i have no clue we'll have to wait for the map from Ramiel or the code to posted to QMK so we can build our own.

Yes, I tried WASD but no luck. I'd appreciate it if we get a proper mapping file or the source so we can compile the hex ourselves. Ramiel messaged me that we'll be given a link to the source once it's been pushed to GitHub.

Offline Starius

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 10:37:06 »
I know it's probably a bit frustrating for you guys, but I personally appreciate you all pointing out and working through these few issues.  Now I know what things to look out for when my kit arrives.

Offline beekey

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 12:21:53 »
I also have a problem with the top case. My screw holes there are also filled with junk. Tried to clean it, but also no luck.
Can't screw it tightly.  :(

Does anybody else has this issue? Black top btw.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 January 2019, 14:49:53 by beekey »

Offline Starius

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 18:23:18 »
Mine arrived today!

As always, my initial pics are with a cell phone in crappy lighting, having just come home from work. 
But here's my initial impressions:

209849-0
209851-1
I've only been participating in group buys in this community for the last year, so I'm by no means an expert... but I've definitely participated enough to see that these keyboards don't nearly get packaged as well as they should, far too often.  Which is a real shame, because often very nice looking boxes have been designed for them! 
Only my S7 Elephant has been packaged well enough that the box was not damaged in shipping.  At least the D60 wasn't as bad as my Alf X3 Renova, but as you can see... its not really worth keeping.  It was only wrapped in a single sheet of foam that was about 3/16" thick. 

209853-2
209855-3
209857-4

The board itself, however, looks great at first glance.  I went with a "Burnt orange" top, MAO white bottom, and e-white badge and plate.  The orange doesn't look "quite" like I imagined, but it really changes it's appearance depending on lighting and angle.  And I think it's still going to look rather nice with it's intended keycap set, the MT3 Ares Godspeed.  Of course, we'll have to wait awhile to see how they turn out. 

I'll inspect the keyboard closer later, and see what the mounting hole situation is like.    However, at first inspection, I'm very happy with the quality! 

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 22:43:42 »
wow that orange looks good, i almost regret not getting a custom color...

i'm still waiting for some missing caps, but got mine together tonite and tested with all the switches. 

excuse the mess and mismatched spacebar, i was testing out the stabilizers.  i think this will turn out pretty nice, if anyone figures out what to use to clean the brass weight, please let us know!
https://imgur.com/ZsG4Kfl

Offline feedbaack

« Reply #173 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 10:42:23 »
I just received mine today:

and I really like how it looks ! I didn't start to build it but the lower case seems to have a couple of scratchs.    :-\

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #174 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 13:39:50 »
still waiting on final keycaps, but looking sharp, i`m using dancer tho! 

Offline mxgian99

Re: [GB] Modern Dasher D60 (firmware is updated)
« Reply #177 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 16:46:26 »
just in case people are like me and subscribed to this thread but not reading the 1st message in this thread.  ramiel posted the link to the foxlab qmk repo.  its not part of the main QMK repo yet, so you'll need to clone it, but its pretty straightforward to modify.  i finally got a few keys swapped (use mac) and WASD programmed for arrows. 

and my odd keys came, in sorry for poor lighting its night here!  https://imgur.com/gL2IUTe

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #178 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 17:40:53 »
just in case people are like me and subscribed to this thread but not reading the 1st message in this thread.  ramiel posted the link to the foxlab qmk repo.  its not part of the main QMK repo yet, so you'll need to clone it, but its pretty straightforward to modify.  i finally got a few keys swapped (use mac) and WASD programmed for arrows. 

and my odd keys came, in sorry for poor lighting its night here!  https://imgur.com/gL2IUTe

Yes, It's working. It's pretty simple if you've got qmk environment set up. I modified the keymap so I've got a hhkb layout. Thanks, Ramiel. The board is awesome. I'm very happy with it.

Offline meepmeep

• meep meep meep, meep meep meep. Meep!
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 21:48:03 »
Late to the party got any extra cases?

Offline piercejenkins

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 22:56:38 »
Got mine today. Weren't we supposed to get stickers? Also, was only able to screw in one of the standoffs.  The rest only screw in about a quarter of the way. Did a mock build anyway. This is the most beautiful board I have ever owned.  I'm glad to be part of this exclusive club of owners.  :D210293-0

Offline glubazoid

« Reply #181 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 01:42:12 »
Can anyone help with wiring for the mini usb? I'm kinda lost here

Offline TheMastermind

« Reply #182 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 06:52:13 »
What exactly do you need help with? Pin out? Tips for soldering?

Offline piercejenkins

« Reply #183 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 06:57:52 »

I was going to ask the same thing. No clue about this part. A video explanation or photos of pin outs outs and where the wires go, and soldering tips would be perfect!!!

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #184 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 08:02:58 »

I was going to ask the same thing. No clue about this part. A video explanation or photos of pin outs outs and where the wires go, and soldering tips would be perfect!!!

Refer to:

1. For usb type c
210305-0

The bag that came with the keyboard contains a small daughter board(marked as 公头B in this picture), one usb type c head(marked as 公头A) and one usb mini head. The four pins of VCC, N(D-), P(D+), GND are marked as "V", "N", "P", "G" in the small daughter board. To use the usb type c head,  you need to solder the wires out of these daughter board pins to the corresponding connecting points of usb type c head. On the usb type c head, they are GND, D+, D-, VCC from left to right on each side. You only need to solder the wire to one side rather than both side of the head.

2. For usb mini

210307-1

It's similar to what's in type c head, but the order is VCC, D-, D+, ID, GND(as showed in the right side of this picture). Solder the wires to corresponding pins. And then you could plug the head to any usb-mini PCB connector to use it. It's quite easy to change the PCB by using the usb mini head if you want to.

You could also directly solder the wires of daughter board to the through holes of the usb connector on the PCB. The corresponding pins are showed in the left side of this picture. But by doing so, you need to desolder and re-solder if you want to switch to another PCB.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 January 2019, 08:06:33 by hhkbp2 »

Offline IchiBalzac

• AKA MKUltraCorp
« Reply #185 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 17:46:34 »
Any idea where to source a replacement USB-C daughterboard setup?  I've tried multiple times, resoldered the wires, used different wires, used plugs cut from other cables, etc. all with no success so I'm assuming just a problem with the daughterboard.

I get power to the PCB (lights come on) but key presses are not recognized.  This is with any USB-C PCB I am trying.  They work fine without the extension piece.  I am making sure all plugs are clicked in as far as they can go, etc.

Any help?  I've tried to reach out to switchoverflow by email but not getting any response so hopefully someone here has a source.

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #186 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 17:55:07 »
Any idea where to source a replacement USB-C daughterboard setup?  I've tried multiple times, resoldered the wires, used different wires, used plugs cut from other cables, etc. all with no success so I'm assuming just a problem with the daughterboard.

I get power to the PCB (lights come on) but key presses are not recognized.  This is with any USB-C PCB I am trying.  They work fine without the extension piece.  I am making sure all plugs are clicked in as far as they can go, etc.

Any help?  I've tried to reach out to switchoverflow by email but not getting any response so hopefully someone here has a source.

I'm also looking for one. I'll send a message to Ramiel about it.

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #187 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 17:57:32 »
i had the same thing happen, and i had to really push the pigtail end into the PCB, you're 100% sure its clicking?  have you checked continuity across all the pins?  if you have power but no key presses then you're not getting signals across the middle data wires.

i dont have the PCB in front of me but, are there break outs on the PCB for the USB pins?  If so try testing continuity from the daughtherboard to the PCB through the pigtail to be 100% sure its not a wiring issue. 

also you should be able to attach the USB-c in either orientation, but did you try flipping it around just in case?

also, not to 2nd guess you, but try posting pics in case someone can catch something you may have missed.  sorry you ran into this, this setup is pretty sweet if you can get it going!
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 January 2019, 17:59:29 by mxgian99 »

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #188 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 18:01:40 »
It'd be great if we had an option for a custom top mountable plate too. The standoffs and the holes for them look a bit messed up and flimsy compared to the otherwise high quality of the case.

Offline IchiBalzac

• AKA MKUltraCorp
« Reply #189 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 23:01:09 »
Well, I found the problem.  Looks like one of the micro pins connecting the USB socket to the breakoutboard was crossed with another.  I hit the area on both sides with some hot air and it seems to have fixed the problem.  Maybe a spatter from soldering the wires on, who knows but something for others to try before throwing in the towel.

So frustrating but ... it lives!

210349-0

Offline japanesehorrorwriter

« Reply #190 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 04:59:42 »
Ramiel you really knocked it out of the park on this one.

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #192 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 14:35:12 »

Hey man, great to see you around! You’ve got a lovely build!

What Keycaps are those? They appear to be GMK, but not sure what is that color scheme called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #193 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 21:58:30 »
Thank you. I opted for the custom color in dark blue and dark red and they both turned out great.

This is a beautiful colour scheme. Looks great.

« Reply #194 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 21:59:35 »
It's GMK blue on white from an old GB that ran in either 2015 or 2016. The white they used is fantastic.

Hey man, great to see you around! You’ve got a lovely build!

What Keycaps are those? They appear to be GMK, but not sure what is that color scheme called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chaselicious17

« Reply #195 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 11:08:42 »
I'm struggling pretty hard to build this thing (my standoffs keep breaking). Before I render the board un-buildable can someone tell me how they got their standoffs in without breaking. What tool did y'all use to screw it in?

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #196 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 16:37:50 »
i built mine with the optional plate+pcb so i can't comment directly on the standoff issue here, but it seems like you need to chase or rethread the standoffs.  the standoffs are not strong enough to clean out the mounts.  ideally you need to use a tap to re-thread the mounts, if you don't have access to a tap use a bolt (not a screw, you wont be able to turn it tight enough) and slowly tighten it, loosen it, clean it out until you can get a bolt all the way in and out cleanly.

Offline Chaselicious17

« Reply #197 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 17:33:59 »
i built mine with the optional plate+pcb so i can't comment directly on the standoff issue here, but it seems like you need to chase or rethread the standoffs.  the standoffs are not strong enough to clean out the mounts.  ideally you need to use a tap to re-thread the mounts, if you don't have access to a tap use a bolt (not a screw, you wont be able to turn it tight enough) and slowly tighten it, loosen it, clean it out until you can get a bolt all the way in and out cleanly.

Yeah mine came with the optional plate/pcb. Does that mean you dont need to mount the pcb to the standoffs? Sorry this is like my 3rd build so I don't know everything.

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #198 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 17:39:57 »
hi, so i'm a little confused.  this supports EITHER the top mount plate and hotswap PCB OR a bottom mount plate + PCB--which is pretty much any generic GH60 style 60% keyboard.

if you bought the PCB and matching plate, you do not need to use the standoffs at all.  the plate actually screws into the top of the case from the underside.  if you line up the plate on the underside of the top you should see how it bolts in.  this pictures shows it, see how the plate is bolted around the edges to the underside of the top. 
https://i.imgur.com/cFcs762.jpg
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 January 2019, 17:41:31 by mxgian99 »

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #199 on: Sat, 26 January 2019, 18:01:03 »
Sometimes people want to try different layouts. The top-mounted plate and matching PCB are great but you want to try new layouts. I tried to buy another top-mounted plate from Triangle lab. Ramiel arranged it so I can use the DZ60 PCB with it. I had to buy it on Taobao https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=586248649082. I tried but my order was declared invalid and I was refunded. This is the 4th time I try to buy stuff from Taobao but no success yet :( If there is enough interest we should try to buy it as a group? I don't speak Chinese unfortunately and I'm not trying Taobao again.