Author Topic: Help me choose new keycaps + where to buy in EU?  (Read 3512 times)

Offline kbuild

Help me choose new keycaps + where to buy in EU?
« on: Sat, 16 January 2021, 07:13:44 »
I decided to build a keyboard instead of buying one because I just can't find one that I truly like... So I delved deep into everything keyboard!

So far I've been using standard keycaps of Ducky Shine 3 and some new model of Shine (tried at a friend's). They're fine. But if I'm building a keyboard, I want to choose great keycaps, not fine keycaps.

What are my choices? I know that PBT is the material I should go for as opposed to ABS. I don't think there are any other materials that are any better?

I'm getting GMMK plate, so I only need keycaps and switches. That's the cheapest option and it seems to be well built. I'd prefer a bit different layout but that would raise the price by extra €150-200 because I'd need to get a casing, plate, etc separately. I'm going for their TKL option. I couldn't stand ISO format because of my typing style, so I'm going for ANSI.

I know there are different keycap profiles but I have no possibility to try them: OEM, Cherry, DSA, XDA, SA. But I really don't know which ones I should get and why - I've heard that SA is a good choice, and Cherry and OEM are the standard ones.

I'm going with clicky Kailh switches if it matters. And the GMMK plate will have LED, although I'm not 100% if I want to use it or not. I probably will because I like low lighting in my work room. Although high contrast keycaps might work too - I really love the old school keyboards. I haven't decided yet.

What are your suggestions? Any other materials? Which profile? Anything else that would help me choose keycaps?

Additionally, I've been having a hard time finding keycaps to buy within the EU (excluding UK) - customs add 50% to the price, and I'd prefer to not spend more than €50 on keycaps.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 January 2021, 07:16:09 by kbuild »

Offline Faceman76

Re: Help me choose new keycaps + where to buy in EU?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 January 2021, 07:28:56 »
Candykeys.com is out of Frankfurt.

As for the rest, it's personal preference.  I prefer OEM or Cherry profile.  I only use PBT as I hate how ABS feels once it is shiny. 

FYI, Amazon in the US has a decent selection, you may find the same by you. 

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 05:03:59 »
If you don't want to spend too much starting off and like the old school look, maybe u would like the retrovibe of durgod fusion in the Nintendo - esque red black cream colorway

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 05:09:55 »
Maybe drop ALT if u want hotswap and a 65% layout.
Alternatively you can always buy kbdfans. They have various models that are more budget friendly.
Other Chinese vendors that carry xd65 are also options you can consider.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline JohnWoodward

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 04:03:22 »
Additionally, I've been having a hard time finding keycaps to buy within the EU (excluding UK) - customs add 50% to the price, and I'd prefer to not spend more than €50 on keycaps.
https://www.achieveessays.com/essay-writer.html

Order online, not a big deal.  You can find cheap.

Offline Unregistered

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 10:27:23 »
Candykeys has the EPBT Spectrum set ready to order. Base is 109€.

Offline Rx003

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 02:02:31 »
Candykeys.com or best bet would be after market in reddit. In any cases good luck with this I hope you can get one!  :thumb: :thumb: