Author Topic: Firewatch Inspired Keycap Set?  (Read 3574 times)

Offline Shwacker

Firewatch Inspired Keycap Set?
« on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 16:49:25 »
Hey all,

I'm new to this forum and have tried searching through all the postings but haven't quite come across a keycap set I'm looking for and am asking if anyone else knows of one. I would love a Firewatch inspired colorway (Burnt Orange, Brown, Maroon, Dark Yellow, etc). General aesthetic below:
248296-0

I found this thread (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105102.0) but the run has since been cancelled due to the current covid pandemic. I found another project here called KAT Eternal that looks terrific but just a different colorway for the evening rather than sunrise vibes.
248298-1

Below are other keycap sets that are close but still just don't hit the mark (or never got released in the case of the first one)
248306-2248300-3248304-5

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
Re: Firewatch Inspired Keycap Set?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 17:00:24 »
Hmm, it's a tricky one - sunrise/set is such a sharp gradient from dark almost black burnt orange to a bright yolky colour. The beauty of the Firewatch wallpapers, etc. is that there are lots of layers in between those two and it'll be tricky to get those colours working in keycaps, hence why we've not seen a set like that, I'd wager.

I think you're right, KAT Eternal is about the closest you can come to that kind of gradient, just in a night theme.

This is the closest I could come to something quick in KLE just by picking the colours from that wallpaper:
(I think I'd call this set something like GMK Rise or GMK Magma)

The main problem is contrast, in my opinion. White too bright on bottom row legends, fine for the rest, except for the top. You'd also have an issue on ISO, I'd say, with the enter key crossing two rows. You always get that problem with horizontal lined sets, which is why you don't get many.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 July 2020, 17:04:37 by -Jerry- »
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline Shwacker

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 17:29:00 »
Lovely, this is a terrific render. I tried to make one before, similar to yours, I'm sitting on but was hoping there was a more professional one already. Also I made the 2nd top row on yours my top row (so I excluded the yellow) and added another color between beneath it. I agree with your assessment that contrast is the main problem. I wouldn't be using an ISO board but I understand why these types of sets are few and far between for that reason.

Offline Shwacker

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 21:57:36 »
These are the mock ups I was referring to. I just don't have any fun novelties like many others.
248318-0

248320-1

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 02:34:33 »
Yeah, you make a good choice there, avoiding the darkest shade makes for a cleaner gradient by far and causes less of an issue with legends.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 02:45:28 »
I'm by no means a designer, so my attempts to mock up some novelties in 5mins failed completely, but at least Firewatch has some good options; a fire axe, a walkie talkie, a campfire, a tower, etc. Campo Santo seem like a cool bunch, as companies go, so if it's something you really want to do, it may be worth talking to them about permission to use the crest, for example.

Offline PseudoLlama

• Ṗ̵̡̝̀̓e̸͉̲͛̔̓͝p̵̢̳̦̲̬̌͊̃̑͝e̷̯͔̾g̶̢̡̳̀̑̋a̶͕̺͆͌͒
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 17:33:26 »
248537-0

This what you are looking for?

If you want to, you could try running your own set ;)