Author Topic: Greetech Brown switch review  (Read 19747 times)

Offline Reimu_64

• KeebWorks
Greetech Brown switch review
« on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 16:22:40 »
Here's a switch I find to be superior to Cherry MX Browns that no one seems to know about.

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: Greetech Brown switch review
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 21:46:21 »
It's my understanding that these make good housings for some frankenswitches, including OUTEMU Silent Skies. I think the housing was about as quiet with those stems as the actual OUTEMU housing.

I think I've heard of them involved in Ergo Clear projects more generally, and some other switch mods.

Offline RedJohn456

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 19:16:27 »
I found out about greetech brown after seeing ActualGlacier's typing tests with his Lin Whale. They sounded heavenly and so I had to try them. Paid out the wazoo to get them fast from mk.com to Canada but they were quite disappointing out of the box.

I have never seen stem wobble this bad before, but after filming and lubing, I have really come to love them. I lubed them with a nice coating of 3204 but they are still scratchy. However the main that thing bothers me about them is the sound of the stem contacting the leaf, the leafs are NOISY AF and for obvious reasons I can't lube them.

I soldered them into a Durgod K320 I had lying around, and I am using them with stock springs. I think I will be spring swapping and am considering using Sprit 63.5, Outemu 62g or Durock 62g.

Again I have yet to try the SMD variant but apparently the SMD variant is different in tactility from the opaque housing variant. I will be ordering a small batch of the RGB variants to see how they fare.

I know I spent more of the post complaining about the switches but I still love them so much and I look forward to typing on them whenever I can. I just need to tune them further to get the most out of them - lots of potential here. Love how the tactile bump is larger than both the MX and Gateron Brown. If only I could get these to be as smooth as gaterons, this would be endgame light tactile for me.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 19:44:05 »
Greetech switches do fly under the radar, although they have been known about for sometime. Specifically Skully (the Clueboard creator) used to (may still not 100% sure) sell them & tried to turn the community onto them as a cheaper alternative to Cherry MX without much loss in quality. This was quite a few yrs. back though, when Zealios were the only boutique switch out & Cherry really was considered king. They never caught on, then subsequently got buried in the onslaught of boutique switches & clones with better quality than Cherry MX.

Offline molohov

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 14:03:25 »
Again I have yet to try the SMD variant but apparently the SMD variant is different in tactility from the opaque housing variant. I will be ordering a small batch of the RGB variants to see how they fare.

Did you ever try the SMD variant and notice any differences between it and the opaque black version? I currently have the latter and am interested if the SMD variant has sharper tactility, as the OP reviewed the SMD variant.

I noticed that HaaTa actually has two different Greetech Brown graphs in his plot.ly library, and they have two completely different force curves!
Opaque black top/bottom (smaller, sharp bump with 2.0mm actuation)
https://chart-studio.plotly.com/~haata/111/greetech-brown/

Clear top/black bottom (larger, sharp bump with 2.65mm actuation)
https://chart-studio.plotly.com/~haata/113/greetech-brown/

Strangely, the SMD version that OP reviewed doesn't seem to fall into either of these descriptions. Therefore, I'm curious if the SMD version is the same as the original opaque black version, or is more like the latter version.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 June 2021, 17:25:02 by molohov »

Offline molohov

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 18:30:00 »
My SMD clear top/white bottom Greetech Browns finally arrived from Aliexpress today and I can vouch that they are exactly the same as the opaque black/black ones that I've been daily driving for the past three weeks.

The only difference is that the SMD versions feel ever so slightly sharper, but this could easily be because they are brand new and my black/black ones were probably worn in from the previous owner. I verified this hypothesis by comparing the stems of the two different versions and found that my black/black stems were ever so slightly more rounded compared to the very sharp, abrupt stems of the new SMD versions. I've attached a picture for those interested.

Offline molohov

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 17:53:54 »
After a few more weeks with the SMD versions, I have to change my verdict: the SMD versions are not the same as the black/black ones, they are significantly sharper! Fortunately I don't think the actuation point or post travel are any different.