Author Topic: In search of help  (Read 1115 times)

Offline edogast

In search of help
« on: Sun, 12 September 2021, 07:49:26 »
Hi there! I'm new here. Currently I'm trying to fix my brother's old Azio MGK1 Keyboard but since it's my first time soldering / desoldering I end up damaging and pulling a lot of pads. Currently I managed to bridge a lot keys but I'm stuck. My Windows key and my Scroll lock isn't working and I have no idea where I need to bridge them.

When I first desolder the AZIO MGK1, a lot of the pins were bent inside the PCB. No one told me that I had to heat up the pins first then slowly and gently lift the bent pins up. I end up tearing a lot of pads  :-X 

https://i.imgur.com/INZOXEd.jpeg

Offline mco

• Ortholinear keyboards user
    • D1Keyboards
Re: In search of help
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 11:27:32 »
Hi.

It's a bit hard to see from the photo, so I'll give you a bit of background so you can figure it out yourself.

Keyboards are usually layout in a grid. Each key has a diode (symbol with a triangle and a line - similar to that ⏄) and one of the switch pins is connected to it and second will be just connected with other keys in the same row (or column, depending on how keyboard is designed).
Check which pin from the switch is connected to the diode (follow track on the board) and solder this one to the correct pin of the diode (diodes are directional, so you have to connect it to correct pin). Second pin on the switch can usually be just connected with same pin of any other key in the column (or row if your keyboard is wired that way, but it's usually column). Follow tracks on the pcb and check if they are connected in columns or rows.

Here you can read how you can build a keyboard by hand. It should give you an idea how all this stuff is wired.
https://beta.docs.qmk.fm/using-qmk/guides/keyboard-building/hand_wire

Hope it helps a little.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Re: In search of help
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 12:03:29 »
I'd post a more detailed thread in the Keyboards board (New Members doesn't get a lot of traffic) with some better photos.

Hope you get the help you need!
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u