Author Topic: Cherry MX Clear switch review  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Reimu_64

• KeebWorks
Cherry MX Clear switch review
« on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 15:08:12 »
The MX Clear. A classic tactile switch from Cherry. Frankly, I wish it was available in more modern keyboards.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Cherry MX Clear switch review
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 September 2021, 18:09:13 »
A nice switch, not often found in keyboards.  I grabbed a Code with MX clears back in the day before hot swap switches were really a thing, and it is still in rotation.

One thing you didn't mention is the sound - MX clear switches often had a noticeable ping, especially with heavier plates.  My Code doesn't seem to ping much, although in a quiet room I can sometimes hear the occasional ping on some of the keys.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Fallen_Angel72

Re: Cherry MX Clear switch review
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 17:18:35 »
I too had trouble finding these switches! I ordered them loose from ebay and soldered them into a modern board. I like them, but not enough for everyday use; they are just a little too rough-feeling for me, although not as rough as something like black Alps switches. They've got a nice bit of tactility, but are a little too stiff for me as well. These are good enough switches that I'm certain they are some folks' favorites, but I doubt you can know if you like them until you try them. I should mention that my switches were brand new; I have a ton of used MX brown switches that are filled with dust & scratchy, so I suspect it's hit-or-miss to buy them used.
I for one have not noticed any pinging when using clears; but then, I love the IBM model M, so I may just not notice a weaker ping sound.