Author Topic: Custom Case for Race 75%  (Read 3841 times)

Offline Jupiter

Custom Case for Race 75%
« on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 17:01:46 »
Hey all,

So I've taken it upon myself to create a custom keyboard case myself. I'm sick of this bland and boring black standard case it comes with, so I'll be making a more interesting one.

I was thinking perspex, clear and blood semi-transparent red sheets, and layering them up to create it. I'll post some pictures up of my design from sketch up when I'm happier with it.

Has anyone else here tried anything similar? Or even just made you're own case? I'd love to see some works, get some tips etc.

Jupiter

Edit 1:

Had some free time so made up these simple designs. This shows my original idea; building up the case in layers from 3mm perspex.

The layers are as follows (bottom to top):

Base
3 layers with stand-offs for screws
4 layers for height

8 total for 24mm full size, not including height from keycaps themselves.

Just a rough idea on how to lay out design for cutting on the perspex

First idea on design of case. Shows stand-offs/cable hole and layers.

Exploded view of all 8 layers, base included.

Please excuse the simpleness of these. Fairly new to sketch-up and really don't know how to do much just yet :P

Edit 2:

Another possible design, this time with a wider left wall which would allow for an engraving.

Edit 3:

Whipped up some designs for a sloped case, with the top 4 layers sanded back.
Includes wider left edge from design 2.

« Last Edit: Mon, 14 January 2013, 00:10:15 by Jupiter »
(Going to be) building Phantom - Red MDPC / White Heatshrink Pexon Cable - WoR/RoW Klaxon - Shiny Titanium Spacebar - Titanium Zerg key

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Custom Case for Race 75%
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 18:55:57 »
I've been considering doing the same thing, I don't think it would be too difficult. I will certainly be watching.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Jupiter

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 20:34:01 »
It really doesn't seem to difficult at all. Just need to get the cut straight really haha

I'll get some pictures of my designs up tomorrow and will keep this thread updated with how it goes for you and anyone else interested. Might be doing some engraving as well on it :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 January 2013, 04:19:09 by Jupiter »
(Going to be) building Phantom - Red MDPC / White Heatshrink Pexon Cable - WoR/RoW Klaxon - Shiny Titanium Spacebar - Titanium Zerg key

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 21:15:57 »
It really doesn't seem to difficult at all. Just need to get the cut straight really haha

I'll get some pictures of my designs up tomorrow and will keep this thread updated with how it goes for you and anyone else interested. Might be spin some engraving as well on it :)

I am very eager to see your designs.  :)

Offline Jupiter

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 04:43:21 »
Original post updated with images and info. Just basic designs for now.

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 06:57:20 »
please make it as flat as possible, than i am very interested.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 07:14:56 »
For the USB port.
Make the plate(s) that it passes through extra wide inside (and out?) at that point, like where you have the standoffs for the pcb. Make a notch where the usb will pass through, but not completely through the excess material. Then after it is all glued you just cut off the extra, and end up with a square port instead of the round one (which will look 100x better) while maintaining the precise shape of the whole thing while assembling it.  Otherwise it's similar to my initial ideas. I can draw up what I mean tomorrow if you don't understand.

One serious issue I can see is that the front will sit extremely high and will make typing uncomfortable.

I have a couple methods of making one that may be cheaper which I can post tomorrow if I have time. No fancy cad drawings though.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 January 2013, 07:19:16 by Leslieann »
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Jupiter

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 17:11:16 »
please make it as flat as possible, than i am very interested.

I am trying to do just that. At this stage I'm just getting some designs up.

For the USB port.
Make the plate(s) that it passes through extra wide inside (and out?) at that point, like where you have the standoffs for the pcb. Make a notch where the usb will pass through, but not completely through the excess material. Then after it is all glued you just cut off the extra, and end up with a square port instead of the round one (which will look 100x better) while maintaining the precise shape of the whole thing while assembling it.  Otherwise it's similar to my initial ideas. I can draw up what I mean tomorrow if you don't understand.

I think I understand what you mean. And yeah, that would be a great idea. Basically you're saying to have the hole square by remove parts of that layer instead of simply a round one to keep to the square-ish overall design.

One serious issue I can see is that the front will sit extremely high and will make typing uncomfortable.

I have a couple methods of making one that may be cheaper which I can post tomorrow if I have time. No fancy cad drawings though.

I'm not too fussed about having it all the same height, as I was not sure about creating a sloped case. If you have some ideas and designs though I'd love to hear from you. Just post them all here and I'll update the first post with all the information for anyone else interested :)

Offline Jupiter

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 19:54:30 »
Added another design to the original post.

Eager to keep working on this as I'll have some perspex arriving this week and want to get building! :P

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 19:23:18 »
Before you start cutting, prop the front edge of your keyboard up for a day or more and see how a flat, high keyboard will feel. I suspect you will reconsider your design. It's a lot of work and money if you dislike it when you are done.

As for my ideas, this wasn't the cheapest (but it is close) nor the nicest (again, it's close), but it was the easiest to do in a garage with fairly common tools and obtain good results. It was what I was considering if I didn't get my Aluminum chassis or would have made while waiting for it. My plans changed though and all future plans for my Race are shelved.

One change I would suggest though is to not glue the base and first layer, but merely clamp it in place. Once you have your standoffs installed and angled, glue all the layers together, except for the base. This would allow you to clean/square up the insides before you glue it to the base. Once attached to the base you can square up the outside, sand off the steps, and mount the pcb.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 January 2013, 19:32:07 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Jupiter

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 00:21:20 »
Before you start cutting, prop the front edge of your keyboard up for a day or more and see how a flat, high keyboard will feel. I suspect you will reconsider your design. It's a lot of work and money if you dislike it when you are done.

As for my ideas, this wasn't the cheapest (but it is close) nor the nicest (again, it's close), but it was the easiest to do in a garage with fairly common tools and obtain good results. It was what I was considering if I didn't get my Aluminum chassis or would have made while waiting for it. My plans changed though and all future plans for my Race are shelved.

One change I would suggest though is to not glue the base and first layer, but merely clamp it in place. Once you have your standoffs installed and angled, glue all the layers together, except for the base. This would allow you to clean/square up the insides before you glue it to the base. Once attached to the base you can square up the outside, sand off the steps, and mount the pcb.

I think I get what you mean. I mocked up another design and chucked it up in the first post. Just without stand offs or cable hole.

What I was thinking, and I'll try to get it drawn up soon, is to have slanted stand offs still connected to the layers. Basically like the first two designs, so there won't be alignment issues then.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 January 2013, 03:47:14 by Jupiter »

Offline Jupiter

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 15:51:18 »
Went with design number 2, but with a slight modification to the top layer. Will post pictures when I'm happier with the finish of it, possibly in the next few days :)

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 15:10:36 »
So exciting! Will you consider selling customs after this?
c h e r

Offline aviphysics

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 17:47:13 »
When I saw this I instantly thought of a stack of trimmings I threw out after cutting a bunch of identical valentines cards from cardstock with my Silhouette paper cutter. The way they stacked up, it seemed like I could make a 3D durable object if I had the right glue to hold it all together. I wonder what kind of glue I would need to make a durable keyboard case.

edit: found an example of some neat containers made from layered paper http://mocoloco.com/galleries/gallery/lacquered-paper-objects-by-nendo/
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2013, 18:13:24 by aviphysics »